Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,335 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:58 AM

One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? (1681 Views)

Little Boy Storms Out Of Family Gathering After Being Denied Swimming / Mother Of Nine Who Is Not A Fan Of Family Planning (Photos) / 17-Year-Old Girl Got Pregnant, Chased Out Of Family House, Turns Beggar (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jun 16, 2016
[size=20pt]MALE VICTIMS OF FAMILY VIOLENCE[/size]

BARRIERS TO DISCLOSING

Male victims of family violence and abuse - like women - often face many barriers to disclosing their abuse:

1. They are likely to be told that there must be something they did to provoke the perpetrator’s abuse

2. They can suffer shame, embarrassment and the social stigma of not being able to protect themselves

3. They can fear that if they disclose the abuse there will be nowhere for them and their children to escape to

4. In cases of intimate partner violence, they can fear that if they disclose the abuse or end the relationship, their partner might become more abusive and/or take the children

5. They can feel uncertain about where to seek help, or how to seek help

6.Services are less likely to ask whether a man is a victim of family violence, and when they do ask, they are less likely to believe him (indeed many health departments have mandatory domestic violence screening for young women, but no such screening for young men)

7. Male victims can be falsely arrested and removed from their homes because of the assumption that because they are male, they must be a perpetrator and not a victim. When this happens, children can be left unprotected from the perpetrator of the violence, leading many men to suffer the abuse in silence in an attempt to protect their children.

8. Because of these barriers, men are much less likely to report being a victim of family violence than are women (and women also frequently don’t report violence against them).
Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jun 16, 2016
[size=20pt]FORMS OF ABUSE[/size]

Abuse of men takes many of the same forms as it does against women - physical violence, intimidation and threats; sexual, emotional, psychological, verbal and financial abuse; property damage and social isolation. Many men experience multiple forms of abuse. Men, more so than women, can also experience legal and administrative abuse - the use of institutions to inflict further abuse on a victim, for example, taking out false restraining orders or not allowing the victim access to his children.

Quote from a male victim

" I was petrified to come home from work and would see her car in the drive and have to drive away and sit for an hour or so by myself to prepare for the likely barrage to come. I lived in terror walking on eggshells around her for nigh on 20 years. I attempted suicide a number of times" Dan

CHILDREN OF MALE VICTIMS

Children of male victims of intimate partner violence can suffer the same impacts as children of female victims, including

1. The abuse of witnessing family violence by their parents or step-parents
2. Direct violence and abuse themselves
3. 4. Negative impacts on their behavioural, cognitive and emotional functioning and social development
5. Harm to their education and later employment prospects
6. Shaping their attitudes to violence in positive or negative directions
7. The possibility of being more likely to grow up to perpetrate violence in their own relationships (the majority however do not).

Quote of children of male victims

''Poor dad. I had seen him walking naked in the back yard at night all upset and embarrassed; and I had seen him crawling under the bed to escape her vicious attacks, and I have seen him nursing his fresh wounds in the toilet, and he would say no word against her. Son talking about parents''

http://www.oneinthree.com.au/malevictims
Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jun 16, 2016
I have, in the past, come in contact with male victims of abuse. It makes me wonder though, why the society hasn't shone light to this issue. Is it too much for me to say that it is difficult if not almost impossible for a man to walk out of a relationship citing abuse than it is a woman.

Society maybe? the fear of being called weaklings or laughed at, is enough to cause a man to sit back and endure it all.

Is it impossible for a woman to rape a man? if such happened, what man would speak up for the whole world to hear?

If we all are fighting for equal rights, shouldn't we fight for these people?

cc
efemenaxy
sambarry
cococandy
bukatyne
tearroses
edwife
ifyalways
et all
Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jun 16, 2016
Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by cococandy(f): 1:12pm On Jun 16, 2016
You'd be surprised it's the men themselves that will come here to shut you down.

I remember speaking about this on some occasions in the past and was accused of trying to emasculate men by encouraging them to show weakness. Odd eh?

We (our society) encourage men to swallow emotions and not show weakness because it's unmanly thereby making it difficult for those who are truly going through abuse to speak up for fear of being laughed at. (Mostly by their fellow men).

The truth is that not everyone can retaliate especially when it involves violence. So making mockery of a man because the woman in his life attacks him and he couldn't 'put her in her place' by beating her blue and black is counter productive. It turns people into what they are not.

Don't even get me started on male children who are victims of sexual assault. What do we do about them? High five them For scoring where the big men failed to score.

Older men are assumed to enjoy being sexually assaulted. And I'm confused because I can't speak for men in that issue. How is it that so?

Disgusting.

WellEndowed:
I have, in the past, come in contact with male victims of abuse. It makes me wonder though, why the society hasn't shone light to this issue. Is it too much for me to say that it is difficult if not almost impossible for a man to walk out of a relationship citing abuse than it is a woman.

Society maybe? the fear of being called weaklings or laughed at, is enough to cause a man to sit back and endure it all.

Is it impossible for a woman to rape a man? if such happened, what man would speak up for the whole world to hear?

cc
efemenaxy
sambarry
cococandy
bukatyne
tearroses
edwife
ifyalways
et all
Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by SAMBARRY: 3:57pm On Jun 16, 2016
WellEndowed:

cc
efemenaxy
sambarry
cococandy
bukatyne
tearroses
edwife
ifyalways
et all
ARE you surprised? You shouldn't be because our society loves blaming victim of abuse.abuse of any kind has now become part of our culture
Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by crackhaus: 5:05pm On Jun 16, 2016
The reason most men don't complain is becaise they suck it up, instead of ranting about it.

On the flip side, most of these men who are victims of abuse and violence from their wives have one thing in common: lower financial/social status compared to their wives. - this should tell you all you need to know about why these sets of men don't usually speak up.

You will be hard-pressed finding a family man whose career/financial standing is at least manageable being intimidated or abused by his wife. FACT!
The exception are those who have been effectively cuckolded by their wives...and I have no pity or sympathy for any man in either of the above categories - he sure had it coming. cool

3 Likes

Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by Nobody: 9:53am On Jun 17, 2016
cococandy:
You'd be surprised it's the men themselves that will come here to shut you down.

I remember speaking about this on some occasions in the past and was accused of trying to emasculate men by encouraging them to show weakness. Odd eh?

We (our society) encourage men to swallow emotions and not show weakness because it's unmanly thereby making it difficult for those who are truly going through abuse to speak up for fear of being laughed at. (Mostly by their fellow men).

The truth is that not everyone can retaliate especially when it involves violence. So making mockery of a man because the woman in his life attacks him and he couldn't 'put her in her place' by beating her blue and black is counter productive. It turns people into what they are not.

Don't even get me started on male children who are victims of sexual assault. What do we do about them? High five them For scoring where the big men failed to score.

Older men are assumed to enjoy being sexually assaulted. And I'm confused because I can't speak for men in that issue. How is it that so?

Disgusting.

I think I posted a link to the video...in this video, a woman was describing an incident that occurred in the beach.....Mummy calling daddy names and shouting at dad. 5 year old son present. She turned to her son and said ..."your daddy is an eediot".

Growing up we had this neighbo9ur who would stop at nothing to announce to the whole world how useless her husband was.If this man ever hit his wife, I have no idea...infact if he did, she was crazy enough to tell everyone on the street. She gat mouth.

I just think it's about time we all said something about violence against men. Sometime back I was reading the news online where a hospital/clinic was built in Sweden to care for male rape victims.
Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by Nobody: 10:01am On Jun 17, 2016
crackhaus:
The reason most men don't complain is becaise they suck it up, instead of ranting about it.

On the flip side, most of these men who are victims of abuse and violence from their wives have one thing in common: lower financial/social status compared to their wives. - this should tell you all you need to know about why these sets of men don't usually speak up.

You will be hard-pressed finding a family man whose career/financial standing is at least manageable being intimidated or abused by his wife. FACT!
The exception are those who have been effectively cuckolded by their wives...and I have no pity or sympathy for any man in either of the above categories - he sure had it coming. cool

Financial status of any gender plays a vital role in domestic violence and/or the need to tolerate/endure the abuse. That being said, some men have sworn to never hit a woman regardless of the extent of abuse. I remember one guy telling me back in my teenage years that he can live with any woman with any character. I told him to pray to his creator that he does not end up with one who would kill him with words. Fast forward to December 2015, I heard he was divorced from his wife. He married trouble. Thought he could endure and manage and live with her but ended up running with his bathroom slippers in his head.

What do you do to a woman who reports every little misunderstanding to everyone that knows you, home and abroad?

1 Like

Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by cococandy(f): 10:49am On Jun 17, 2016
On the same page here.
WellEndowed:

I think I posted a link to the video...in this video, a woman was describing an incident that occurred in the beach.....Mummy calling daddy names and shouting at dad. 5 year old son present. She turned to her son and said ..."your daddy is an eediot".

Growing up we had this neighbo9ur who would stop at nothing to announce to the whole world how useless her husband was.If this man ever hit his wife, I have no idea...infact if he did, she was crazy enough to tell everyone on the street. She gat mouth.

I just think it's about time we all said something about violence against men. Sometime back I was reading the news online where a hospital/clinic was built in Sweden to care for male rape victims.

1 Like

Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by EfemenaXY: 7:35pm On Jun 17, 2016
WellEndowed:

cc
efemenaxy
sambarry
cococandy
bukatyne
tearroses
edwife
ifyalways
et all

I'm no expert on male abuse. Why am I being mentioned here?
Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by Kimoni: 8:42pm On Jun 17, 2016
EfemenaXY:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by Nobody: 12:33am On Jun 18, 2016
EfemenaXY:

I didn't say you were an expert, or did I I only wanted to know your thoughts on male abuse.

Obviously a mistake. E ma binu undecided
Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by bukatyne(f): 2:21pm On Jun 20, 2016
WellEndowed:

cc
efemenaxy
sambarry
cococandy
bukatyne
tearroses
edwife
ifyalways
et all

@Bold:

It takes one passionate soul to start the campaign.

You sound passionate, you can champion the cause....

Would I speak up for an abused man? Yes
Would I join a crusade? I doubt it. Not my area of interest.

And I very much agree with Cococandy.
Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by tron23(m): 5:02pm On Jun 20, 2016
Why do people think that women maltreat men who have no money? It still baffles me. I have seen men who
Are wealthy treated badly by their women.

The truth is a bad person is a bad person, whether male or female. Our society needs to encourage people to come out of abusive marriages, relationships and friendships.

Believe me, staying with an abusive spouse ain't worth it.

2 Likes

Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by ifyalways(f): 10:24am On Jun 21, 2016
Any adult, male or female that have for any reason decided to stay in an abusive relationship or marriage have my blessings because I frankly do not care and can NEVER love anyone more than they love themselves.

Mention me when young, defenseless children are involved.

1 Like

Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by crackhaus: 5:22pm On Jun 21, 2016
WellEndowed:

Financial status of any gender plays a vital role in domestic violence and/or the need to tolerate/endure the abuse. That being said, some men have sworn to never hit a woman regardless of the extent of abuse. I remember one guy telling me back in my teenage years that he can live with any woman with any character. I told him to pray to his creator that he does not end up with one who would kill him with words. Fast forward to December 2015, I heard he was divorced from his wife. He married trouble. Thought he could endure and manage and live with her but ended up running with his bathroom slippers in his head.

What do you do to a woman who reports every little misunderstanding to everyone that knows you, home and abroad?
I wouldn't even be with that kind of woman in the first place...but on the off-chance that bad fortune spells on me and I find myself with one, I'd probably spend less and less time with her until she gets the point.

2 Likes

Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by Ttexis: 3:02am On Sep 08, 2017
Hi well-endowed, can I have some discussions with you?
Re: One In 3 Victims Of Family Violence Is Male. Why Aren't We Paying Them Any Mind? by Nobody: 3:16am On Sep 08, 2017
I'm sorry and I don't know if this makes me an hypocrite but I'm of the belief that you cannot compare violence a female suffers to that of a male. you just can't compare it.

yes men gets abused too but it has a more painful and traumatic effect on the female

(1) (Reply)

Can You Defecate Infront Of Your Spouse / Electrical Wiring And Fittings Of A 4 Bedroom Duplex In Orlu, Imo State / Is Anyone Else Facing The Same Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.