Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,743 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Fate And Predestination - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fate And Predestination (1102 Views)

Poll: Does Fate exist?

Yes, it does. And man has the will to change it: 33% (1 vote)
Yes, it does. But it's determinded by external forces: 0% (0 votes)
Nothing like that exists: 33% (1 vote)
I have never question myself about it: 0% (0 votes)
I'm still confused about the matter: 33% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

What Is Predestination? / RCCG, E.A. Adeboye (and All Other Churches) - Free Will Or Predestination? / Was It Destiny, Fate Or Predestination That Saved You from that accident or got you that job ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fate And Predestination by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 27, 2006
Some people believe that there is something called the destiny which determinds the course of events. Some others believe that the man determinds the course of event.

I would like you to share your opinions about this matter. Does fate really exist? And if it does is it man's will that determinds it or there are superior forces that influence the course of life?
Re: Fate And Predestination by Nobody: 4:49pm On Nov 27, 2006
After making some researches I have brought up some documents to treat this topic. I myself am not yet sure of its existence so my back-up documents are of both side (yes or no).

In the Hellenistic period there were two new philosophical movements in Greece: Epicureism and Stoicism.

Epicureism: there is a mechanicistic motion of the atoms. Atoms always fall perpendicularly but thanks to the clinamen, a deviation from their vertical fall, atomic aggregation have the possibility to form. A deviation characterized by an unpredictability, such to allow casual groupings and also always different. This clinamen breaks the strict necessity of the course and opens a small opening to the human liberty.

Though the clinamen could rappresent a little liberty for the human kind, it is good to know that however man has no will in this deviation. The atoms are the craftsmen of everything. Man thinks he is the one determinding the casual course of events because he is not aware that he is subjected to the influence of the atoms. So this can really prove the existence of Fate but also it doesn't imply the total freedom of man in his acts.

Stoicism: there is a finalistic characterization. Man is motally autonomous who has to have as as his purpose being the owner of himself, living in coherence with himself. But his moral principles have to coincide with that of the divine logos, which animates and rules the universe. Everything tends to the primary design of the logos.

A virtuous lives according to the logos, a vicious lives against the logos. But the design has already been made so at the end of the day everything will tend to what the logos has decided. Altough it has given to man the liberty to choose his moral principles, his approach to life, it has already decided the fate of everything. In simple words: you can live according to good or evil but you fate has already been decided.

Before these movements we have other philosophic movements concerning the existence of an entity which could influence of better define the course of events.

Naturalism (the physicians): There is a fatalism according to which the universe is domineered by an "implacable necessity", by such a determinism that deprives man of the possibility to act according to his will, making him "salve to destiny" and irresponsible of his action".

The free-will of man is totally absent and so he lives and moves according to a plan that was made before his genesis and that can't be changed.

(1) (Reply)

Don't U Think The Endtime Is At Hand / OMG!!!... What Is Impossible For God? / Did God Force Jesus To Be Crucified?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.