Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,487 members, 7,819,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! (2649 Views)

Typical Lagos Slum Backyard by Mark Eyesan / A 3D Lagos Slum Local Kitchen By Mark Eyesan / Lifestye Photography - My Amazing Makoko Story, Life In Lagos Slum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by deturla: 5:16am On Jun 17, 2016
I have decided to create this thread to officially welcome you guys into a new project, which will kickstart my career as a lifestyle photo-blogger.

First off, I am Deedee and I manage an Events and Lifestyle photo-blog which is fast growing.

My love and passion for photography has enabled me look beyond the wedding photography part to go into lifestyle/street and documentary photography.

The intention is to visit the slums with my camera, both in Nigeria and beyond and inspire people to look above their conditions.

Some people are actually looking beyond PMS and Tomato to hustle hard and survive.

I will share a lot of pictures on this thread which will inspire you. Just book a space and be ready to be inspired!

My first ever trip was in March which was a journey into Makoko, you can read that [url][/url]http://deedeesblog.com/2016/04/16/my-amazing-makoko-story-life-in-lagos-slum/

I intend to create that 'life in style'
Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by deturla: 5:21am On Jun 17, 2016
Like I said, I will wet your apetite a little with these pictures and enable you come in touch with present day realities. People live beyond the poverty line in this country.

It is even crazy that they live within their means in love and peace.

1 Like

Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by Nobody: 5:24am On Jun 17, 2016
Cool
Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by deturla: 5:36am On Jun 17, 2016
richiejaggs:
Cool

Thank you Richie. Join me on the thread as i start a life journey!

1 Like

Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by Archmage(m): 5:42am On Jun 17, 2016
my heart broke the day i entered makoko but there is a beauty there few people can see. more pictures please. respek
Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by deturla: 5:56am On Jun 17, 2016
Archmage:
my heart broke the day i entered makoko but there is a beauty there few people can see. more pictures please. respek

Working on it Sir...

This is the Ilaje/ Iwaya Community!...Not exactly Makoko!
Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by deturla: 6:16pm On Jun 28, 2016
We went to the Badagry community as part of our Life Lens project where we had a brief chat with one of the high Chiefs of Oba Akran.

They in turn gave us the go ahead to move into the communities and capture pictures....

1 Like

Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by deturla: 6:21pm On Jun 28, 2016
Sorry I took quite some time in uploading pictures. It's a massive project. I'm still working on the Ilaje community pictures. However I have a couple of Badagry pictures on my phone...

I will just share a couple of them...whilst i continue working on the other pictures and video.

It will blow your minds out when you see the collections and what we actually went to do

1 Like

Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by deturla: 6:24pm On Jun 28, 2016
One of the communities living on the Badagry Island where we have the popular point of. O return is the Ilaje Community.

Community occupied majorly by fishermen. They complained of obvious neglect by the government despite coming to seek their votes durin election.

These guys live in tattered apartments and live with no care in the world. They only have a community center built by the government and just one generator in the whole of the community.

.....See the timelines as we move into the interior of the community....

Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by deturla: 6:25pm On Jun 28, 2016
Keep following this thread as I upload more breathtaking pictures.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt3SKRxCl_Y
Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by deturla: 3:16pm On Sep 13, 2016
So today I uploaded a short Intro Video into the trip at the Ilaje Community around the Bariga axis of Lagos State.

MY AMAZING ILAJE STORY: LIFE IN LAGOS SLUM

Ilaje is a sprawling slum located along the Bariga axis in Lagos, situated by the Lagoon. As you move closer to the settlement , you would immediately begin to see wooden houses constructed on that brackish water of Lagos lagoon. You would also notice an environment so dirty that you would think it’s not fit for anyone to reside. But then, people live here even happily. As you move into the community, you would begin to see both the young and old wander about, some aimlessly, and some with intentions, work or business as the case is.

Apart from the various shanties that you would see on the bank of the lagoon, most of the people in the community live in huts made of planks, bamboo on the lagoon. I also noticed that many of the people were mainly Egun. Ilaje is an area in Lagos where the poorest poor reside; from an environment laden with filth and excreta to houses with open bathroom. The community is surely laden with poverty at the end; illiteracy, filth and other social ills.

http://deedeesblog.com/2016/09/13/my-amazing-ilaje-story-life-in-lagos-slum/

Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by deturla: 3:19pm On Sep 13, 2016
The amazing part about Ilaje is that there has been no story of an pandemic/endemic and that the community boast of the best portable water which was said to have drawn out from the same brackish lagoon water. We also observed that a lot of Non-governmental organizations have come to impact the people positively in terms of food, education and health facilities. However, it seemed from my view and what you would see that these were never enough. They need more support, right.

The interview in the soon to be released video has a lot of young minds that are very ready to work and are skilled one way or the other. Can you imagine, I met with producers, mobile phone engineers, fashion designers in Ilaje. On my discussion with them, I realized the need for these guys to be empowered! The video would be dropping soon! It is amazing!

1 Like

Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by SmooshCHN: 4:37pm On Sep 13, 2016
These pictures are really thought provoking.. Makes me want to cry.. I wish I was around to help you with your project. Keep up the good work Man.. I'm following.
Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 13, 2016
Following. embarassed
Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by UjSizzle(f): 7:22pm On Sep 13, 2016
Damn. People live like this? sad
Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by deturla: 9:26pm On Sep 13, 2016
SmooshCHN:
These pictures are really thought provoking.. Makes me want to cry.. I wish I was around to help you with your project. Keep up the good work Man.. I'm following.

It's a forever project Dear Wale. Anytime you are here bro. Thanks!
Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by deturla: 9:29pm On Sep 13, 2016

Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by sommyblaze(m): 6:18am On Sep 14, 2016
i love what am seeing
Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by deturla: 6:09pm On Sep 14, 2016
sommyblaze:
i love what am seeing

LOL! Thanks
Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by deturla: 6:11am On Sep 15, 2016
My Conclusion

It is very pertinent that the government should move its arm of support into these communities. Empowerment is very key and massive sanitary lectures should be given to these people, to incite them on the act of cleanliness in all ramifications. The earlier research I saw online showed that the government was looking at resettling the Ilaje people, which to me is even not feasible in the near time. To this end, it would be important to support the community in whatever capacity they can. Enough of the media hullabaloo of empowerment we see on TV.

I saw a couple of wastes here and there, which was predominantly dominated by top brands in Nigeria. Bottles of drinks, purewater, sanitary pads, and all sorts muddled together to form the terrible and stinking environment where they live. If the FMCG’s are looking for where to channel their Corporate Social Responsibility to, it is in the Ilaje Community. Away from all the fashion shows, beauty pageants and ‘show-off’ on TV. Ilaje is the real deal.

1 Like

Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by deturla: 6:14am On Sep 15, 2016
I hope I have inspired someone today, now is your turn to inspire as well.

Do me a favour, share this with your friends. We can always make this get to the right places, can't we?

1 Like

Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by Nobody: 8:59pm On Sep 15, 2016
amazing pictures
Re: LIFE LENS: My Amazing SLUM Journey! by sommyblaze(m): 7:46pm On Sep 16, 2016
deturla:

LOL! Thanks
I really love photography, i wish to going you on this adventure...
Am in Lagos for my holz, I really wanna join u.

(1) (Reply)

4toshop Designs / Robot Woman Design / My Graphic Portfolio @oomar_designs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.