Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,043 members, 7,825,313 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

How To Start A Career - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Start A Career (1012 Views)

How Can I Start A Career In Academics? / Steps To Building A Career In Human Resources In Nigeria / Learn A Skill & Start A Career Within 2weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start A Career by Cornerstone99: 9:53am On Jun 18, 2016
10 Tips on How to Start a New Career

A career change is exciting, but it can be worrisome. A vision and system for starting a new career can make it easier and efficient. If you take time at the beginning to discover what you really want to do in your work life, you can then explore possibilities and move forward.

Whether you are tired of your current work and just want something different, or you have a specific career in mind, an organized approach will serve you well. Whether you want an entry-level job or a completely new profession, these steps will help.

Know what you do best. Make a list of what you enjoy doing and what you do best. They are usually the same things. Don't think about jobs yet, think about your talents and interests.

List all the things you like to do, including what you think doesn't earn money.

Think about what other people tell you about yourself. If friends say you are good at identifying birds, for instance, put that on the list.

Make a list of the talents and skills those activities require — identifying birds requires observation skills and attention to detail, for instance.

List your training and experience. Volunteering counts. Unusual classes count. If you know a little bit about a lot of things, list them all.

Now think about jobs. What occupations require your talents?

Search the Internet. Try terms in such as job skills, career skills, skills assessment, and whatever else comes to mind.

Narrow the list to a few possible careers — no more than three or four. Keep changing your list until you feel confident that you'd love a job in those fields and that you would do it well. Then narrow your choices to one career and focus completely on that one.

Learn all you can about your chosen new career.

Search the Internet.

Visit your local library. Reference librarians are terrific at helping you find information.

Check with your local government employment office to learn about job possibilities in your new career. Ask about training programs, too.

Interview people in your chosen career. Remember, you're not asking for a job, you are learning about the career itself. What do successful people like about it? What skills are most important? What is it really like?

If there is a union, ask the local office for information.

Changing your mind? That's fine, just go back to step 3 or 4 and start over. It will be worth the time in the long run. When you are sure about the career path you want, move on to the next step.

Keep your old job if possible.

Strange but true: you are more likely to be hired if you are already employed. Think about taking a lower-level job in your new field to learn what you need to advance.

Do you need more training?

Check out vocational schools and colleges in your area. Learn about specific training and what job placement services they offer. Ask about classes you can take while still employed. Night and weekend programs are often available.

No training or classes in your area? Contact the human resources departments in companies that hire in your new career and ask about on-the-job training. It won't be a job interview, but treat it like one. Put your best foot forward, dress appropriately, take a resume, have questions prepared, talk about your skills and experience.

Join a union or professional organization. There are organizations for people in just about any career. One more Internet search can lead you to local or national groups.

When you have the skills and training you need, polish your resume and start your job search.

GET PALMCHAT FOR MORE: WWW.PALMCHATNOW.COM
Re: How To Start A Career by Cornerstone99: 9:54am On Jun 20, 2016
9 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started My Career

1. WEIGH THAT CAREER "GROWTH OPPORTUNITY" CAREFULLY
"I was six months into my first job out of college in the mortgage industry and flourishing. I was making great money while living in Dallas, and before long, I was offered an opportunity to join the New York branch. On paper, it seemed like a great chance for growth and it included a healthy raise. I was so excited that I didn’t ask the questions necessary to understand if the opportunity was a fit for me and where I was professionally.

By the time I reached New York, that $8,000 raise all but disappeared, and based on the cost of living, I was actually making less money. From a cultural perspective, I traded a nurturing environment full of seasoned professionals who were invested in my professional success for a bottom-line-driven environment full of young sharks trying to make their mark.

[I learned] it’s important to carefully evaluate every "growth opportunity" against your skills, values and personal opportunity cost. Sometimes when opportunity knocks, we have to look through the peephole before we answer."

—Brian Lawrence, 32, career counselor, St. Louis, Mo.

2. START SAVING YOUR PAY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
"Like most young professionals, I heard this message but thought, I’m young and still have time, and instead told myself I would start saving consistently when I earned more or finished paying for this or that.

In retrospect, I should have saved 10% to 15% of every paycheck. I’m actually a very frugal person, but frugality doesn’t necessarily equate to money in the bank if you’re not actually putting it there. I could have saved thousands upon thousands of dollars by now at age 35!"

—Chaz Pitts-Kyser, 35, author of Careeranista: The Woman’s Guide to Success After College, Alexandria, Va.

3. ACKNOWLEDGE WHEN IT’S NOT A GOOD CAREER MATCH
"When I was in my 20s and working at my second job out of college, I realized three months in that it wasn’t the right place for me. But when I was offered a great opportunity to move from the Bay Area to Boston for another opportunity that I was excited about, I decided to stay at [my current] job because I thought [leaving] would make my résumé look flaky or noncommitted.

My advice to my younger self? If a job really isn’t working out, find something new and change. Life is too short. It’s the random experiences that make life exciting and will lead to new opportunities."

4. FIRST IMPRESSIONS MATTER
"I started my first business, specializing in entertainment for weddings, out of my college dorm. I was setting up meetings with my clients at McDonald’s because I didn’t have an office, and I also dressed like a typical student—less than professional. I didn’t understand why I wasn’t getting any business, even though I was one of the best DJs in town.

Then a mentor suggested I lose the college attire, and meet clients in a more professional setting. To my surprise, my business started booming: I booked over 4,000 events per year before I sold the business. I have since launched nine successful companies—and I am forever grateful to that mentor."

—Clay Clark, 33, CEO of Thrive15.com, Tulsa, Okla.
5. JOB-HOP MORE THOUGHTFULLY
"The biggest mistake I ever made was grinding through my 20s thinking that a job would ever make me [feel] ‘wealthy.’ I’ve worked several horrible jobs, including selling timeshares at a resort and corporate real estate jobs that were absolutely soul-sucking. However, they did serve a purpose in my journey to doing what I ultimately desired to do: write books, mentor people and speak on the topic of personal development.

If you feel stuck or are growing resentful of your work situation, the solution isn’t to simply quit your job and find another one. Suck it up for a little bit longer, and research what it is you actually want to do. Once you’ve identified your dream situation, begin working toward that end result—while financing it through your existing job."

—Brenden Dilley, 32, self-help author and life coach, Phoenix
6. IT’S OKAY TO FOLLOW YOUR GUT
"I started my first successful business when I was a junior in college with my roommate. We were driven and passionate about our idea, but we hadn’t finished our undergraduate degrees, so we were working with advisers who were older and all held MBAs.

What I should have known was that no amount of education would replace the insight my friend and I had into our business because it was our business. But I was young and lacked confidence, so I was too often swayed from my common sense by people who I assumed were smarter because of their degrees. I’ve since learned to trust my instincts because they’ve proven more valuable than an MBA ever could."

—Sara Sutton Fell, 40, CEO of FlexJobs, Boulder, Colo.

7. DON’T FORCE YOURSELF INTO A BAD CAREER MOVE
"One of the biggest mistakes I made was allowing an employer to decide my career direction. I really liked the company that I worked for, but there were only two possible mid-level positions [that I could be promoted to]. Instead of taking the leap to look for more fulfilling work elsewhere, I convinced myself to squeeze my talents into one of the positions.

After a few months, I realized that I had made the wrong decision—and I had to change jobs almost immediately after the promotion. I could have saved myself and the company time and money if I had been honest with myself."

—LaTisha Styles, 31, investment analyst, Atlanta, Ga.

8. NEVER SELL YOURSELF SHORT
"I went to a state university and majored in economics, and my GPA wasn’t the best. Because of that, none of the major financial companies would take a second look at my résumé. When I was just entering the job market, I assumed the candidates with high GPAs who got the high-paying jobs were smarter than me—and I convinced myself that I should be satisfied with getting any job out of college.

It was a big career mistake, because I then limited myself to the types of jobs I pursued, effectively accepting lower salaries and doing double the amount of work as those who were making more than me."

—Yi Wang, 30, financial consultant, Westchester, N.Y.
9. SUCCESS ISN’T JUST FOUND IN THE BIG POND
"As a new college graduate, I chased the money and the title, partially because I thought that it was proof of success—and because my student loans weren’t going to pay themselves. Over the next ten years, my income grew, the bonuses were bigger, my title was more superior, and my work was more fulfilling. However, with all of that came a tremendous amount of stress and worry about succeeding at the next level.

Then I started a family and my view shifted. I previously commuted over an hour each way, so I could have the better salary and opportunity with a larger company. I was on track for senior-level management, but I saw my family less and less. Earlier this year, I came to the end of my rope.

Recently, I accepted a position with a smaller company, just 10 minutes from my home. The salary is less, the company is smaller, and there is no ‘race to the top’ because I am already there. The stress is less, and I am truly happy with my decision to make this fundamental change. Now I just wish I had done it sooner."

Get more here: WWW.PALMCHATNOW.COM
Re: How To Start A Career by Cornerstone99: 10:56am On Jun 20, 2016
Three Things Recruiters No Longer Look For (And Three They Still Do)

WHAT RECRUITERS CARE LESS ABOUT
1. Your cover letter. In the past few years, some have declared cover letters obsolete—apparently justifiably so. "I haven’t read one in a long time," confides Judi Kruger, director of talent acquisition for global sales and services at Cisco. That’s mainly because they just aren’t an efficient way to comb through high volumes of candidates quickly (and with minimal unconscious bias).

Instead, companies and recruitment firms are adopting increasingly powerful software for screening job applicants. And it’s thanks to those software programs that a good resume is becoming more important as cover letters fall by the wayside. There are risks to cramming your resume with keywords in order to get picked up by an applicant tracking system (ATS), but according to Susan Vitale, CMO at the ATS service iCIMS, one simple trick can help you get noticed: Acronyms.

Remember get palmchat. WWW.PALMCHAT.COM

If you’re a sales professional who’s "familiar with CRMS"—customer relationship management software—"spelling it out and including the acronym," she says, "is important because that’s how resumes are being searched and parsed for information. That may not have been something that you’d have had to worry about five years ago."

2. Where you went to school. "Hiring managers are caring less about where somebody graduated from school," Vitale adds, "and are focusing far more on the pure skills that may be transferrable." While academic pedigree is still important—Vitale cites STEM and finance as two noteworthy holdouts, especially at the entry level—she says recruiters are generally giving less weight to an impressive alma mater than they used to.

Instead, Vitale advises, "you want to dial up the skills . . . those things jump out far more than your grad school."

3. Where you used to work. "We’re seeing more cross-pollination among industries than ever before," says Vitale. One example: Many design firms and design-heavy fields are now seeing Uber as a top competitor for talent, thanks to the demands of the digital consumer market. "You need a product that looks really good whether you are a software designer or a shoe manufacturer," Vitale explains.

"UX and UI are now prevailing across multiple industries where in the past that used to be more pigeonholed." And it’s for similar reasons that "software and systems proficiency are also more pervasive than they were a few years ago." Which means that the employers you worked for previously may now matter less to recruiters than what you did there, how well you did it, and what you learned in the process.
WHAT RECRUITERS STILL CARE ABOUT
So if that’s what’s changing, what’s staying the same? And which are the familiar standout qualifications that are actually gaining cache?

1. Your research chops. Jim Stroud has been involved in recruitment since 1997, consulting for Microsoft, Google, Siemens, and MCI, and since then he’s seen younger workers’ research skills get shakier as access to information widens. One of the first opportunities for a recruiter to spot that gap is in salary expectations.

Now senior director of RPO recruitment strategies and support at Randstad Sourceright, Stroud says that "in the past, people would pitch a salary based on where they worked before," and that made perfect sense to recruiters at a time when reliable, industry-wide salary data wasn’t so available.

2. Too much job-hopping (in most cases)
. Some say job-hopping is losing its negative stigma since it’s now common to spend three years or less at a given employer. Others disagree, and the strongest endorsement of job-hopping that recruiters seem willing to make is basically a resounding, "it depends."

If a candidate has worked in a startup environment, says Stroud, "they’re doing more than one job. The way you handle people, the way you’re solving problems, the way you can communicate with other folks"—these are things recruiters tend to expect candidates with startup experience to excel at.

Kruger agrees that job-hopping is less of an automatic red flag than it was a decade ago, when it "was considered a very negative thing" across the board. "I see that trend has almost flipped," she says—going the farthest on this question of the four recruiters Fast Company spoke with.

But "almost" may be the operative word here. Vitale cautions that switching jobs too frequently is still more a liability than an advantage due to simple economics: The costs to employers of backfilling positions usually far outstrip any skills a candidate might have picked up by jumping around a lot. Evidence of "commitment and loyalty," in Kruger’s words, just makes for a safer investment.

3. How you talk about your career. Particularly as those attitudes toward job-hoping evolve, it’s putting more pressure on job seekers to do one thing well: control the narratives about their careers.

"A job seeker has to be able to tell their story and tell how one thing relates to another," says Kruger. That’s arguably always been important, but getting it right may set you over the edge more quickly than it has in the past. In Stroud’s experience, candidates’ oral and written communications skills alike are deteriorating, and employers still need people who have both.

Not incidentally, both of those stand out in a recent PayScale/Future Workplace survey asking hiring managers to list the skills entry-level job seekers most lack. So if you want to get a leg up, these tried-and-true communication skills might be a great place to start.
Re: How To Start A Career by Cornerstone99: 11:56am On Jun 21, 2016
How to Choose a Career

Wondering how to choose a career?

1. Know yourself–your strengths, values, personality, and skills
This will help you decide which choice best fits you.

Discover which Holland personality types you are most like, then match your results with promising careers, college majors and training programs.
Read about John Holland's Theory of Career Choice to understand how your success and satisfaction in a job, school, or college is related to your personality.
Do the activities in Learn about Yourself and Identify Your Skills to understand yourself better.
Explore what career well-being means and how to strengthen yours.

2. Know your options and learn about each one
To learn about occupations, go to Learn More about the Jobs that Interest Me , Learn about Occupations, or Choosing a Military Career.
Job Satisfaction will help you optimize your job satisfaction when you choose a career or a job. It can also help you analyze why you are dissatisfied in your job, if you are one of the many who are.
To learn about education options, go to Choose a Career Cluster/Career Field/Career Pathway or Choose a Major or Training Program.
Is starting your own business an option? Click Self-Employment to explore this idea.
Are you thinking of strengthening your job skills but you are unsure which ones are important? See The Foundation Skills.

3. Make a good decision
At High-Quality Decision Making you will learn a method based on many scientific studies that is widely used in business and medical settings. It is easy to understand and use.
Still not sure? Go to Career Indecision and consider getting help from a professional counselor: Career Counseling
Tip: Go to our "Choose a Career" listing to see more self-help articles! Also check out our Site Map.

Download Palmchat and fellow public account to get more tips: www.palmchatnow.com
Re: How To Start A Career by Cornerstone99: 12:32pm On Jun 21, 2016
Choosing a career involves 4 main stages:
Self Awarenesspicture of maze
Opportunity Awareness
Decision Making
Taking Action
Sometimes these stages will overlap and sometimes you have to return to a previous stage Be aware the cycle is not always as linear and consistent as it is presented here.

Self Awareness
The first stage of Career Choice is Self Awareness. This involves looking at your SKILLS, VALUES, INTERESTS and PERSONALITY and analysing where your strengths and weaknesses lie. This is important both in choosing the right career and also for success in applications and interviews where you will find many questions which test whether you have been through this process.

You can start with looking at your SKILLS here. You can now also look at your INTERESTS , VALUES and PERSONAL STYLES on the web.

Opportunity Awareness
Once you have done some preliminary self analysis, the next stage is to gather information on the opportunities open to you. There is a range of resources to help you here:

There is a range of general careers talks each term which are listed here
There may also be specific careers education programmes for your degree subject, usually during your second year of study.

Information on what you can do with your degree subject
A major recruiter of graduates, annoyed with the great expense of running their annual graduate recruitment programme, decided on a radical new approach to save money. When the student arrived for interview they were taken to a room with just a table and two chairs. They were then left alone for two hours for two hours, without any instructions. At the end of that time, the HR manager went back and see what the student was doing.

If they had taken the table apart, they were put in Engineering.
If they were counting the cigarette ends in the ashtray, they were assigned to Finance.
If they were waving their arms and talking out loud, they were detailed to Consulting.
If they were talking to the chairs, HR was a good location.
If they were sleeping, they were definitely top management material.
If they were writing up the experience, they were sent to the Technical Publications team.
If they didn't even look up when you enter the room, they were allocated to Security.
If they tried to tell you it's not as bad as it looks, they were assigned in Marketing.
If they were wearing green sunglasses and need a haircut, IT was their niche.
If they mentioned what a good price we got for the table and chairs, they were sent to purchasing.
If they mentioned that hardwood furniture does not come from rainforests, Public Relations would suit them well.

Many jobs are open to graduates of any degree subject, and it's important not to only focus on the jobs related to your degree, but if you are doing a vocational degree, or simply want to find out what previous Kent graduates in your subject have gone on to do, the following resources should help.

What can I do with my degree in ......? information on careers from all Kent degree subjects.
Careers open to graduates with any degree subject

Early in your course you should look at the Work Experience open to you. As well as allowing you to earn money, they may allow you to gain relevant skills and perhaps an insight into the types of job you are interested in, putting you at the head of the queue when you eventually apply for jobs.

The Careers Information Room has a wide variety of booklets, reference files, books, DVD's and computer programmes you can use.

You may like to enter Postgraduate Study instead of directly entering a job, or it may be required for a particular career such as law or teaching. Here it may be important to apply early in your final year and to look at whether funding will be available to pay for the course.

INFORMATION FOR SPECIFIC GROUPS
We try to cater for all Kent students whatever their needs: Mature Students, Students with Disabilities, International Students, Ethnic Minority Students, Women Students. Sometimes this may affect your career choice - for example, mature students often enter public sector jobs and the helping careers where greater life experience may be to their advantage.

PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT WORKBOOKS
Unusual jobs entered by Kent graduates
Underqualified Teacher(!)
Bra Fitter
Train Dispatcher
Tattoo Artist
Slope Watcher
Obstacle Assistant (They meant optical!)
"Career Management Skills" - a profiling and self-awareness booklet for 1st Year students. See our web version
"Postgraduates and Contract Researchers" - a booklet specifically for these groups. See our Web version.
Making Decisions
The computer programs below allow you to put in a number of factors on what you want in a career (such as helping others, promotion prospects) and will give suggestions of possible careers which might match these. Regard these as useful suggestions rather than gospel truth, but they should bring up some possibilities that you haven't considered before.

Prospects Planner www.prospects.ac.uk/links/Pplanner is a powerful program to help you choose a graduate career. It allows you to answer questions about your values and interests and then to relate these to a database of hundreds of occupations to get suggestions on appropriate careers.

Alternatively Careers Explorer is a quick and simple program which will also suggest graduate careers

Talk to graduates already working in your chosen career area. You can use the Kent Alumni Careers Network to contact a graduate directly. Work shadowing (spending a day with) a person in the career you are considering is the next best thing to actually doing a job, to find out what it is like. If you have done this, you will come across as much better prepared at interviews.Ostrich

Of course, the other important part in making decisions is discussing it with other people. Friends, family and tutors can all play an important part here . The Duty Careers Adviser is available every day without an appointment for a short discussion and can often help to inject reality into your ideas for example, pointing out that you may need to fund your way through a postgraduate course to enter your chosen career.

Taking Action
This is the final process of career planning. It involves:

Finding out about the EMPLOYERS that offer the types of jobs you are interested in.
Search our VACANCY DATABASE
Preparing APPLICATIONS and attending INTERVIEWS
Perhaps taking APTITUDE TESTS and attending SELECTION CENTRES

Choosing a career involves 4 main stages:
Self Awarenesspicture of maze
Opportunity Awareness
Decision Making
Taking Action
Sometimes these stages will overlap and sometimes you have to return to a previous stage Be aware the cycle is not always as linear and consistent as it is presented here.

Self Awareness
The first stage of Career Choice is Self Awareness. This involves looking at your SKILLS, VALUES, INTERESTS and PERSONALITY and analysing where your strengths and weaknesses lie. This is important both in choosing the right career and also for success in applications and interviews where you will find many questions which test whether you have been through this process.

You can start with looking at your SKILLS here. You can now also look at your INTERESTS , VALUES and PERSONAL STYLES on the web.

Opportunity Awareness
Once you have done some preliminary self analysis, the next stage is to gather information on the opportunities open to you. There is a range of resources to help you here:

There is a range of general careers talks each term which are listed here
There may also be specific careers education programmes for your degree subject, usually during your second year of study.

Information on what you can do with your degree subject
A major recruiter of graduates, annoyed with the great expense of running their annual graduate recruitment programme, decided on a radical new approach to save money. When the student arrived for interview they were taken to a room with just a table and two chairs. They were then left alone for two hours for two hours, without any instructions. At the end of that time, the HR manager went back and see what the student was doing.

If they had taken the table apart, they were put in Engineering.
If they were counting the cigarette ends in the ashtray, they were assigned to Finance.
If they were waving their arms and talking out loud, they were detailed to Consulting.
If they were talking to the chairs, HR was a good location.
If they were sleeping, they were definitely top management material.
If they were writing up the experience, they were sent to the Technical Publications team.
If they didn't even look up when you enter the room, they were allocated to Security.
If they tried to tell you it's not as bad as it looks, they were assigned in Marketing.
If they were wearing green sunglasses and need a haircut, IT was their niche.
If they mentioned what a good price we got for the table and chairs, they were sent to purchasing.
If they mentioned that hardwood furniture does not come from rainforests, Public Relations would suit them well.

Many jobs are open to graduates of any degree subject, and it's important not to only focus on the jobs related to your degree, but if you are doing a vocational degree, or simply want to find out what previous Kent graduates in your subject have gone on to do, the following resources should help.

What can I do with my degree in ......? information on careers from all Kent degree subjects.
Careers open to graduates with any degree subject

Early in your course you should look at the Work Experience open to you. As well as allowing you to earn money, they may allow you to gain relevant skills and perhaps an insight into the types of job you are interested in, putting you at the head of the queue when you eventually apply for jobs.

The Careers Information Room has a wide variety of booklets, reference files, books, DVD's and computer programmes you can use.

You may like to enter Postgraduate Study instead of directly entering a job, or it may be required for a particular career such as law or teaching. Here it may be important to apply early in your final year and to look at whether funding will be available to pay for the course.

INFORMATION FOR SPECIFIC GROUPS
We try to cater for all Kent students whatever their needs: Mature Students, Students with Disabilities, International Students, Ethnic Minority Students, Women Students. Sometimes this may affect your career choice - for example, mature students often enter public sector jobs and the helping careers where greater life experience may be to their advantage.

PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT WORKBOOKS
Unusual jobs entered by Kent graduates
Underqualified Teacher(!)
Bra Fitter
Train Dispatcher
Tattoo Artist
Slope Watcher
Obstacle Assistant (They meant optical!)
"Career Management Skills" - a profiling and self-awareness booklet for 1st Year students. See our web version
"Postgraduates and Contract Researchers" - a booklet specifically for these groups. See our Web version.
Making Decisions
The computer programs below allow you to put in a number of factors on what you want in a career (such as helping others, promotion prospects) and will give suggestions of possible careers which might match these. Regard these as useful suggestions rather than gospel truth, but they should bring up some possibilities that you haven't considered before.

Prospects Planner www.prospects.ac.uk/links/Pplanner is a powerful program to help you choose a graduate career. It allows you to answer questions about your values and interests and then to relate these to a database of hundreds of occupations to get suggestions on appropriate careers.

Alternatively Careers Explorer is a quick and simple program which will also suggest graduate careers

Talk to graduates already working in your chosen career area. You can use the Kent Alumni Careers Network to contact a graduate directly. Work shadowing (spending a day with) a person in the career you are considering is the next best thing to actually doing a job, to find out what it is like. If you have done this, you will come across as much better prepared at interviews.Ostrich

Of course, the other important part in making decisions is discussing it with other people. Friends, family and tutors can all play an important part here . The Duty Careers Adviser is available every day without an appointment for a short discussion and can often help to inject reality into your ideas for example, pointing out that you may need to fund your way through a postgraduate course to enter your chosen career.

Taking Action
This is the final process of career planning. It involves:

Finding out about the EMPLOYERS that offer the types of jobs you are interested in.
Search our VACANCY DATABASE
Preparing APPLICATIONS and attending INTERVIEWS
Perhaps taking APTITUDE TESTS and attending SELECTION CENTRES

Learn more about choosing career on Palmchat: Download now: www.palmchatnow.com
Re: How To Start A Career by Cornerstone99: 11:41am On Jul 06, 2016
THREE QUESTION TO ASK YOURSELF WHEN CHOOSING A CAREER

IDENTIFY STRENGTHS

1. Am I ready to research jobs to figure out a major that fit me?

2. How do I recognise a good career choice?

3.Am I ready to take assessments that can help me?

See answer below:

Recognize your interests, values, personality, and abilities as well as...
Suggest careers or majors that will utilize your strengths

Assessments cannot tell you the best major or career fit for you. Only you can make the best decision!

Download Palmchat for more: WWW.Palmchatnow.com
Re: How To Start A Career by Cornerstone99: 3:38pm On Jul 08, 2016
Career objective is the most important part of resume which describe your motive for job. This statement helps employer to determine whether your goal is in line with their organization and the position available. Take your time to create a powerful opening for resume. Your Objective should be two or three lines long at most. See following example objectives for help.

Choose the objectives which describe your skills best.

To make a sound position in corporate world and work enthusiastically in team to achieve goal of the organization/MNC with devotion and hard work.

To succeed in an environment of growth and excellence and earn a job which provides me job Satisfaction and self development and help me achieve personal as well as organization goals.

To seek challenging assignment and responsibility, with an opportunity for growth and career advancement as successful achievements.

To succeed in an environment of growth and excellence and earn a job which provides me job satisfaction and self development and help me achieve personal as well as organizational goals.

To excel in my field through hard work, research, skills and perseverance. To serve my parents, and my country with the best of my abilities.

To succeed in an environment of growth and excellence and earn a job which provides me satisfaction and self development and help me to achieve organizational goal.

To work in an environment which provides more avenues in the fields of computer Hardware and Networking.

To be involved in work where I can utilize skill and creatively involved with system That effectively contributes to the growth of organization

To pursue a highly rewarding career, seeking for a job in challenging and healthy work environment where I can utilize my skills and knowledge efficiently for organizational growth.

Get more now by simply downloading Palmchat: www.palmchatnow.com
Re: How To Start A Career by Cornerstone99: 2:35pm On Jul 12, 2016
10 Steps to Setting Effective Career Development Goals

When setting Career Development goals, it’s important to clearly define your goals as well as the steps necessary to achieve each and every one. By taking the time to set effective career development goals, you can measure progress and track yourself getting closer and closer to the career you have envisioned for yourself. This will not only keep you motivated, it will also help you feel more self-confident along the way.

The following are some tips for setting effective goals:

1. Be positive. Frame your goal in light of something you want to obtain, rather than in terms of something you want to avoid. For example, set the goal of improving your writing skills in order to start a career as a blogger working from home as opposed to not getting stuck behind a desk at a dead-end job at a large corporation.

2. Set realistic goals that you can achieve and that are in your own control. Make sure your abilities and skills are compatible with your long-term goals.

3. Prioritize. Put your goals in order so that you know which ones to focus on first. This will help you concentrate on one task at a time and keep from feeling overwhelmed.

4. Write your goals down and post them various places so that you will visually be reminded and motivated to achieve them.

5. Be specific. One might say, "I want a better job." What does that mean? Is that a job in your current industry or a new profession? What steps must you take to achieve that goal?

6. Tie an action to each goal. If your goal is to learn more about a chosen field, then the action tied to that goal might be to research online career courses, training opportunities, attending a career fair, shadowing a professional, etc.

7. Break down your goals into smaller tasks. You will feel successful when you accomplish each task and then feel motivated to continue.

8. Make your steps measurable. When you set a goal you must include a time frame for achieving your end goal. You should also specify timelines for each step along the way. For example you can determine “I want to have completed my first online course in 9 months and my internship in 18 months.”

9. Be reasonable. Are your goals reachable within your time frame? Be reasonable - don't set yourself up to fail.

10. Be flexible. Occasionally you will encounter obstacles to completing your goals. Don’t give up; just modify your goals accordingly. However, also recognize that if a goal stops being important to you, it is okay to cross that one off the list. This frees you to move on and pursue only the opportunities that are most important to you.

Palmchat has online users who can who can help you with your career goal.

downloadnow: www.palmchatnow.com

(1) (Reply)

Who’s Who In Corporate Nigeria: Wole Abegunde, Investment Banking Whiz / NNPC Past Questions And Answers | Download PDF File Here / Get Premium Web Development Courses On Udemy For This Cheap Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.