Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,140 members, 7,860,098 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:07 AM

Rights' Bill Not Equality Bill - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Rights' Bill Not Equality Bill (393 Views)

Gender Equality: An Important Economic Rationale / 12 Rights Of A Muslim wife Upon her husband / National Assembly To Fine Tune Gender Equality Bill. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rights' Bill Not Equality Bill by CarroltonFarms: 8:26pm On Jun 18, 2016
In this age of social media frenzy and everyone seemingly suffering from ADHD, name and title can make or break anything. Such is the so called equality bill before the national assembly. My understanding is the bill strives to give equal rights to women as currently enjoyed by the men. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, and far as I know, we are all born of woman and love and respect our mothers and sisters, daughters, aunts and friends for the most part. But in a patriarchal society such as ours, albeit it secular in name only, and highly religious, there is and will always be an equivocation of “Legal Equality” to “Natural Equality” on the sides of those currently biting more than their share of the equality apples (misogynists!), as well as those that would want to turn “societal norms” on its head (Misandries!). Unless that bill comes with a set of "balls" and a "shaft", then it definitely doesn't infer "natural equality"

Since we all want the same thing as citizens of this country, here I propose a simple solution to the problem: “A Rights’ Bill” not women’s right, men’s right, or equality bill but a “Rights’ Bill”, to reaffirm the rights of the citizens and legal residents of the country! In this bill a citizen/resident shall be defined as a person (man/woman) of suffrage age. Here’s a few suggestions…feel free to add yours!

• I know we all agree that equal work should mean equal pay.
• A child is the product of both a man and a woman, and since no third party is involved in this process, “legally” this means a shared ownership.
• There’s already the one “man” one vote provision.
• If arrested by the any federal or state security agency, you shall be presented before a competent court of law within 48 hours or be set free.
• A man is the head of his house according to the prevailing religions of the country but not according to the constitution! If you fail to administer your household and the state has to step in, then every citizen shall be treated as equal before the law.

I cannot possibly capture all of what is needed to set the rules of engagement between the people of the country and most importantly how we relate to the government institution. I believe that simple cosmetic change in name and rephrasing of the key elements of this bill could change the debate entirely to focus on our common aspirations and not a battle between the sexes as it is currently.
And one last thing, this version of the bill can also be passed at the state level while we wait for it to be ironed out at the federal level—looking at you Mr. Ambode!

Let me know what you think nairalanders!

Re: Rights' Bill Not Equality Bill by misreal(m): 9:20pm On Jun 18, 2016
Just waiting for people wey go behead u for here.

(1) (Reply)

Ikpeazu To Appeal His Sack By Court. / Read How Guys Handle Break Up-truenaijayarn / Can You Solve This In One Minute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.