Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,262 members, 7,815,428 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

Why Is Browsing With Wi-fi Hotspot Faster Than Internet Modem? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Is Browsing With Wi-fi Hotspot Faster Than Internet Modem? (1797 Views)

New Etisalat Free Browsing With Psiphon: 100% Working / Unlimited Browsing With Psiphon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Browsing With Wi-fi Hotspot Faster Than Internet Modem? by Olarewajub: 2:03pm On Jun 19, 2016
From experience, i discovered that connecting to the web with Wi-Fi is faster and reliable than when using a internet modem. Ideally, i think the internet modem should be faster because it has only one function unlike mobile devices that still needs to power background apps that use data. What's the reason for this or do you have a different experience? Let's discuss

1 Like

Re: Why Is Browsing With Wi-fi Hotspot Faster Than Internet Modem? by David25(m): 3:22pm On Jun 19, 2016
Olarewajub:
From experience, i discovered that connecting to the web with Wi-Fi is faster and reliable than when using a internet modem. Ideally, i think the internet modem should be faster because it has only one function unlike mobile devices that still needs to power background apps that use data. What's the reason for this or do you have a different experience? Let's discuss

your question is vague. Are you talking about sharing your mobile internet access over wifi Hotspot Vs inserting th sim directly into a modem? Or a real Wi-Fi network? if the former is what you mean, then it just depend on how much network signal your modem can harness compared to the mobile phone.
Re: Why Is Browsing With Wi-fi Hotspot Faster Than Internet Modem? by Olarewajub: 4:21pm On Jun 19, 2016
David25:

your question is vague. Are you talking about sharing your mobile internet access over wifi Hotspot Vs inserting th sim directly into a modem? Or a real Wi-Fi network? if the former is what you mean, then it just depend on how much network signal your modem can harness compared to the mobile phone.

I'm talking about the usb modem. What’s your experience using the two?
Re: Why Is Browsing With Wi-fi Hotspot Faster Than Internet Modem? by David25(m): 6:10pm On Jun 19, 2016
Olarewajub:

I'm talking about the usb modem. What’s your experience using the two?

well, connecting to web vial usb modem can be very exciting when the mobile network provider has a very good network speed. In the area where I'm at right now, glo network speed is mind blowing. I peaked 3.6MB/sec when downloading online files. I haven't achieved such download speed on most wifi network that I have connected to over the years. Wifi network is just as good, but most of the time, the information you send over a wifi isn't secure even if it has a good transfer speed to offer especially a free public wifi.
Re: Why Is Browsing With Wi-fi Hotspot Faster Than Internet Modem? by emperorizzy(m): 11:37pm On Jun 19, 2016
From my P.O.V modem is faster, but it balls down to the isp. The bandwidth is something. My WiFi is @ 2mbps so you can imagine how slow it would be. Using Etisalat it's just blazing cray cray. Have you wondered why using airtime to browse is much faster than using mb.
Re: Why Is Browsing With Wi-fi Hotspot Faster Than Internet Modem? by emperorizzy(m): 11:37pm On Jun 19, 2016
From my P.O.V modem is faster, but it balls down to the isp. The bandwidth is something. My WiFi is @ 2mbps so you can imagine how slow it would be. Using Etisalat it's just blazing cray cray. Have you wondered why using airtime to browse is much faster than using mb?
Re: Why Is Browsing With Wi-fi Hotspot Faster Than Internet Modem? by Olarewajub: 4:27am On Jun 20, 2016
emperorizzy:
From my P.O.V modem is faster, but it balls down to the isp. The bandwidth is something. My WiFi is @ 2mbps so you can imagine how slow it would be. Using Etisalat it's just blazing cray cray. Have you wondered why using airtime to browse is much faster than using mb?

What's the reason? Really like to know.
Re: Why Is Browsing With Wi-fi Hotspot Faster Than Internet Modem? by Fulaman198(m): 7:36am On Jun 20, 2016
The are various factors that can lead to higher throughputs over Wi-fi than from one directly connecting to a modem. To name a few, let's assume that you are at an Internet Cafe or in some countries a coffee shop. Some Coffee shops are huge franchises (Starbucks in the United States) and they can afford to install Gigabit fibre from Google. As a result, the Wi-fi access points they setup are 802.11AC compliant which means that when you connect via Wi-fi, you will have a much faster speed than you may typically see from your average modem.

There are various high-speed internet out there. Cable, DSL, ISDN, Fibre, 4G LTE, Wi-Max, Satellite, etc. Some high-speed solutions are indeed faster than others. I hope this helps.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Starcomms Internet Service Dupes Subscribers / Help: My Computer Does Not Display Subtitles Properly / Apple Ipad First Generation Brand New In The Box 16g And 32g For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.