Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Estate Agents And Ridiculous Charges - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Estate Agents And Ridiculous Charges (1346 Views)

Whatsapp Group For Real Estate Agents / About The Association Of Estate Agents In Nigeria (AEAN) / Estate Agents And Developers. How's Business This Recession Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Estate Agents And Ridiculous Charges by mrsage(m): 7:40pm On Jun 21, 2016
Hello,

I've been searching for a 1 Bedroom Self contained apartment in Lagos within Surulere axis.

As a first step I decided to check the internet to reduce the stress on my part and I found a good deal eventually.
A 1 bedroom apartment with kitchen, etc. Plus parking space in a good location off Randle Road.

Then I called the estate agent and heard the most shocking news.

Rent. 120k per annum
Commission. 50k
Agreement. 50k
Caution fee 10k
Total. 230k

Now my First question is this. Why pay additional 110k for an apartment with 120k rent?

Number 2: Who determines these charges and is there a regulator?

Number 3: is there a fixed percentage to be paid as agency and commission or these guys just fix prices arbitrarily?

I will be glad if someone can enlighten me
Re: Estate Agents And Ridiculous Charges by Eyop: 7:47pm On Jun 21, 2016
mrsage:
Hello,

I've been searching for a 1 Bedroom Self contained apartment in Lagos within Surulere axis.

As a first step I decided to check the internet to reduce the stress on my part and I found a good deal eventually.
A 1 bedroom apartment with kitchen, etc. Plus parking space in a good location off Randle Road.

Then I called the estate agent and heard the most shocking news.

Rent. 120k per annum
Commission. 50k
Agreement. 50k
Caution fee 10k
Total. 230k

Now my First question is this. Why pay additional 110k for an apartment with 120k rent?

Number 2: Who determines these charges and is there a regulator?

Number 3: is there a fixed percentage to be paid as agency and commission or these guys just fix prices arbitrarily?

I will be glad if someone can enlighten me

Commission and agreement should be 10% of the Rent. Caution fee for #10k to me is Ok. Commission goes to the estate agent while sometimes the agreement and Caution goes to the Landlord. So the 50k for commission and agreement is ridiculous.
Re: Estate Agents And Ridiculous Charges by segebobo: 7:54pm On Jun 21, 2016
You're lucky to get it at that price, 120k @Randle. I searched in2014 for a room & parlour on the same road & got 350k.
You're also lucky they ain't insisting on 2yrs.
The way they calculate it is this, they charge 10% of total amount payable for agency fee and 10% for agreement fee which is why many insist on taking 2yrs.
I don't knw why you're charged 50k
Re: Estate Agents And Ridiculous Charges by mrsage(m): 8:37am On Jun 23, 2016
Eyop:

Commission and agreement should be 10% of the Rent. Caution fee for #10k to me is Ok. Commission goes to the estate agent while sometimes the agreement and Caution goes to the Landlord. So the 50k for commission and agreement is ridiculous.

Thank you.
Re: Estate Agents And Ridiculous Charges by mrsage(m): 8:38am On Jun 23, 2016
segebobo:
You're lucky to get it at that price, 120k @Randle. I searched in2014 for a room & parlour on the same road & got 350k.
You're also lucky they ain't insisting on 2yrs.
The way they calculate it is this, they charge 10% of total amount payable for agency fee and 10% for agreement fee which is why many insist on taking 2yrs.
I don't knw why you're charged 50k

I agree, the rent is reasonable but the charges are absurd

(1) (Reply)

3 Bedroom Bungalow On 450sqm For Sale @ Adiva Plainfield, Lekki +pix (C Of O) / To Let / Lease: 5BR Duplex @15, Sumbo Jibowu, Off Awolowo Road. Ikoyi Lagos‎. / OFFPLAN SALES: 3 Bedroom Penthouse @ Gbagada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.