Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,862 members, 7,817,544 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

Motivation For The Day - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Motivation For The Day (2885 Views)

Six Ways To Sustain Your Motivation As An Entrepreneur / DriversNg Daily Motivation For Business Owners / Motivation For Nigerian Startups In This Trying Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Motivation For The Day by Bigdreams(m): 9:36am On Jun 22, 2016
Hello Friends,

My name is Joseph Philip and I'm a regular contributor to this forum. I am a web and mobile marketing consultant. I specialize in Web design (Website design for individuals/companies, blog setup, school portal setup, etc), Writing (For Websites, Blogs, Ebooks, Physical books, etc), Professional CV Writing, Mobile Marketing Setup (Bulk SMS Business Setup, Ring back tune/caller tunes setup, Shared/Dedicated Code Setup, Toll Free/Non-Toll Free Numbers Setup, etc), Ebook Cover Designs and Professional PowerPoint Presentation Design/Setup.

What is the purpose of this thread?
There are times we encounter cross roads in our daily endeavours.

There are times we lose steam and want to stop even when we know it's not right to stop where we are.

There are times when we become confused about what we are doing.

This thread is meant to serve as a tonic booster, to inspire,educate and motivate us in this entrepreneurial journey. It will help us address business issues, work ethics, organizational and conflict resolutions amongst others.

I read vast and will be sharing different articles as I come across them online.

I sincerely believe we all will find the motivation we need for the day as we read the articles in this thread.

Come on board and let us get our Motivation For The Day.

Thank you...

Re: Motivation For The Day by Bigdreams(m): 9:51am On Jun 22, 2016
Hii all,

In today's article I'll be sharing a post I read sometime ago about achieving excellence, moving from mediocrity to the excellent top.

I humbly advise you take time to read the post very well as it contains nuggets that can help you become the best at what you do.

Please, let's engage by sharing your own thoughts on the article. Read On...

How to Achieve Excellence in Anything - July 24, 2015 By SelineShenoy

What do Albert Einstein, Michael Jordan, Steven Spielberg and JK Rowling all have in common (besides being pioneers in their fields)?

They were all once considered average or below average by their peers.

Before they were successful, several people in positions of authority such as teachers, coaches and publishing agents rejected them and told them that they wouldn’t amount to anything. Despite the discouragement that they received from these so-called experts, they all persisted in their efforts. They did not allow other people’s opinions about their capabilities to dissuade them from walking down their desired path.

They had an unshakable belief in their potential to succeed, and this prevented them from losing hope in the face of opposition and challenges. They saw themselves as winners even before others did. Yet this “winner’s mindset” is not an easy one to develop. Most people aren’t resilient enough to create this because of negative beliefs that they assimilated due to early childhood conditioning and other painful experiences.

The truth is that we live in a society that programs us for mediocrity. From the time we enter school, we are instantly measured by a standard yardstick. If we are not a straight-A student, a star athlete, or popular in school, we are labeled as being an average person without much potential. At home, most of us were taught to follow the rules and avoid taking risks. Although it was done with good intentions, it can have a significant impact on the trajectory of our lives, and we are more likely to stay within the confines of a predictable life and miss out on opportunities to play a bigger game.

With all these heavy influences in our youth, it’s no wonder that so many people hold back from reaching their full potential because of being chained by their beliefs about mediocrity. These beliefs blind them from identifying opportunities that could open up a whole new realm of possibilities. Therefore, if we continue to believe, on a subconscious level, that we are mediocre, our behavior and choices will reflect upon this. For this reason, the first and most crucial step is to shift our beliefs.

The good news is that, with the right guidance, it is possible to transform this negative programming into something that’s affirming and encouraging.

We can do this by eliminating the belief that we are mediocre and replacing it with the belief that we are capable of extraordinary achievements, no matter what we have been told in the past.

Once you have removed the label of mediocrity, you can proceed to take the following steps to further develop your potential:

Identify your strengths: Make a list of all your past accomplishments that you are proud of achieving. It does not have to be anything monumental, just something that you made you feel proud. Identify what personal strengths were demonstrated in each achievement.

Capitalize on your strengths: Look over your strengths and ask yourself, how you can use these strengths in both a personal and professional setting? How can you use what comes naturally to you to create a lucrative situation and/or help people live better lives?

Outsource your weaknesses: After embracing your strengths, the next step is to identify your weaknesses – things that you may have to work a little harder on to master. The truth is that we can’t be good at everything – the most successful people in the world accept this and are willing to get help or outsource these tasks. For example, if you are not a good with numbers, hire an accountant. Not only is this productive but it’s sensible because it gives you time to focus on the things that you are good at.

Be patient with yourself and remain consistent: Don’t be disheartened if you experience delays and setbacks along the way. There is always a learning curve involved so don’t associate delays with your lack of competency. Each and every expert was considered mediocre in their field at some point, but with time and lots of practice, they got better and better.

Create a solid support system: The people around you have a significant impact on how you feel about yourself and your achievements. For this reason, it is critical that we spend more time with people who are supportive and encouraging. When we feel down, we need someone to remind us of our greatness and help us get back on our feet. I suggest finding a support group or community, a friend, or coach who can play this important role in your life.

When I was a little girl, I used to enjoy watching ants crawl around in my garden. What fascinated me the most was their incredible ability to carry things that were much heavier than their own body weight.

Just like the ant, we too have the ability to take on big, challenging endeavors that might seem intimidating at first. All we need is to believe in our own magnificence and our strength to succeed at anything we set our minds on.

All my best on your journey,

Seline

Question for you:
What steps can you take to move from mediocrity to excellence in your life? Do you believe that you can achieve excellence in anything you set your heart on?
Source: http://thedreamcatch.com/achieve-excellence-in-anything/

Poster's Bio
Joseph Philip is a business solutions provider who focuses on Web design (Website design for individuals/companies, blog setup, school portal setup, etc), Writing (For Websites, Blogs, Ebooks, Physical books, etc), Professional CV Writing, Mobile Marketing Setup (Bulk SMS Business Setup, Toll Free/Non-Toll Free Numbers Setup, Ring back tune/caller tunes setup, Shared/Dedicated Code Setup, Toll Free/Non-Toll Free Numbers Setup, etc), Ebook Cover Designs and Professional PowerPoint Presentation Design/Setup.

I have an online learning store at www.store.bigdreamsng.com where my online learning products (videos) are sold for immediate download. I can be reached on 08098086797, 08144303049 (Whatsapp/call), BBM - 2B6A257E. You can also mail me via info@bigdreamsng.com
Re: Motivation For The Day by Bigdreams(m): 10:27am On Jun 23, 2016
Good morning all,

Today I'll be sharing vital tips that can help us as entrepreneurs move ahead in our entrepreneurial journey.

I am sure you will find these tips very useful. Kindly leave your comments thereafter.

Thank you.
6 Tips to Help You Improve As An Entrepreneur

Source: http://wealthygorilla.com/6-simple-tips-help-improve-entrepreneur/

People have different ways of looking at entrepreneurship, and quite rightly so. This is what makes entrepreneurship so wonderful. Every single person comes with a lot of things that make it even better. That’s why there’s no single parameter to define success in entrepreneurship.

Most seasoned entrepreneurs agree that success in entrepreneurship must not be seen as an end destination. You better see it as a daily battle to bring the best out of you. In every single aspect of managing a business, which ultimately sums up into your success as an entrepreneur.

Like all other things, there’s always a room for little improvement in entrepreneurship; rather, it’s one of its best features. The moment you think it’s perfect, there’s no way further to improve in whatever you have as a product or service, mark it as the beginning of your end.

So, I have come up with certain simple but effective tips that can help you spruce up your entrepreneurial skills.

1. Use the Night to Plan the Day Ahead
Yeah, I know you are thinking; God, I knew this since my kindergarten.
Indeed, you knew it since a long time ago, but be totally honest with yourself for a minute and think when was the last time you ACTUALLY planned for your day ahead the night before.

Fact of the matter is that not only a few people really follow this little piece of advice poured through their ears since childhood. The majority of those few are truly successful at whatever they do, be it entrepreneurship or anything else.
Everybody is lined up with a few tasks for every single day.

It’s only with a solid plan that you can run through them optimally. One of the basic purposes of this plan is to prioritize what’s most important for you from what’s not. Sort out the matters that need our instant attention and lining up the rest accordingly.

Most of us are inclined to take up easier tasks happily than the harder ones, and this might be damaging your business in the worst possible manner. So, get into the habit of determining your priorities honestly before you sleep. That way you can handle matters optimally when you get up the next day.

2. Start Getting up a Little Earlier
Though what time you choose to wake up daily is much of a personal choice, but a little tweak can improve your odds of being successful at entrepreneurship significantly. Get up a little earlier than you usually do to squeeze out that YOU TIME, the all essential moments dedicated to yourself only, which can literally exalt your entrepreneurial skills in every manner.

Like a true entrepreneur, you need to invest in the most rewarding opportunity. Which is your own betterment in this case. Use this quite time to reflect, rearrange and revitalize yourself. You can devote it for any. positive activity like meditation, praying or a revitalizing physical workout.

After all, isn’t entrepreneurship all about facing challenges and hurdles without giving in to them, for which you need a healthy body and fresh mind, perhaps more than anything else?

3. Start Positive and Stay Positive
Once you inculcate the habit of waking up early, you would have much more time and opportunity to start your day positively. With ample time and a plan ready to guide you efficiently through the day ahead, you can start your day by feeding your mind with positive content. Though some notable entrepreneurs suggest staying totally away from email and social media, I wouldn’t do that; instead, I suggest adding positivity to your day through some motivational content.

In this regard, there’s no specialized media, anything that can influence you positively will serve the purpose. Just make sure not to let negativity ruin your day even before it’s really started.

4. Value Your Time, Don’t Lose Focus
You know what’s the most deceiving way to ruin the productivity of your whole day?

Distractions!

Yes, and the worst part is that most of the time you aren’t even aware that how much of your valuable time will be lost dealing with those distractions. They can come from any person or any situation you might come across through the course of your day.
Even a little deviation from your plan to deal with someone else’s problem can result in you giving up the control of your day.

Being a better entrepreneuris about having a plan and sticking to it, which also means sayingnoat the right time. Of course, you don’t feel good about hurting people’s feelings, but as an entrepreneur, it’s one of your prime objectives to guard your interests first and foremost.

5. Move Forward One Step at a Time
What’s one of the most damaging myths of modern times that might be hurting your entrepreneurial aspirations?

Multitasking!

This might surprise you, as you have long been hearing that surviving and progressing in today’s corporate world is not possible without multitasking. However, the fact of the matter is that it’s proven wrong on a scientific basis.
Alternately, sticking to your plan is a much better approach, taking one task at a time. When you have only one task to complete, you can dedicate all your time, energy, focus and resources towards that to do it in the best possible manner.

It’s not like striving for perfection, but for excellence.

6. Keep it Balanced
There’s one area where entrepreneurship sucks the most, as far as I am concerned. Want to know which one? Work life balance! As entrepreneurs, we are too busy pushing harder than ever to reach our goals. But in doing so, we get ourselves extremely vulnerable to burnout. That’s why some of the world’s top entrepreneurs have established clear boundaries. They know when they will stop work and turn to their personal lives.

It makes real sense, it’s much better to give work a little break rather than finding yourself totally unable and unwilling to do it at all after some time.
There is no way you can save yourself from a total burnout, if you are all work and no family time kind of a person. Sooner or later, burnout will hit you hard if you don’t set those work-life balance boundaries and respect them like most of the top entrepreneurs do.
In Conclusion

Remember, the best use of entrepreneurship in your life should be to bring peace and freedom along with all monitory benefits. Developing these habits will help you improve remarkably in your entrepreneurship skills.

Poster's Bio
Joseph Philip is a business solutions provider who focuses on Web design (Website design for individuals/companies, blog setup, school portal setup, etc), Writing (For Websites, Blogs, Ebooks, Physical books, etc), Professional CV Writing, Mobile Marketing Setup (Bulk SMS Business Setup, Toll Free/Non-Toll Free Numbers Setup, Ring back tune/caller tunes setup, Shared/Dedicated Code Setup, Toll Free/Non-Toll Free Numbers Setup, etc), Ebook Cover Designs and Professional PowerPoint Presentation Design/Setup.

I have an online learning store at www.store.bigdreamsng.com where my online learning products (videos) are sold for immediate download. I can be reached on 08098086797, 08144303049 (Whatsapp/call), BBM - 2B6A257E. You can also mail me via info@bigdreamsng.com

Re: Motivation For The Day by Nobody: 10:32am On Jun 23, 2016
Okay na. #IsightYou
Re: Motivation For The Day by Bigdreams(m): 1:16pm On Jun 24, 2016
Good day everyone,

Today I'll be sharing a post on Believing In Yourself.

The power to achieve greatness is in us but sometimes we tend to lack the belief in what we are capable of achieving.

This post today will help you see yourself in a new light and thus create the spark you need to kickstart or better still persevere in your entrepreneurial pursuit.

Read on..

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF

Low self-esteem can be the root cause of some mental health problems and can cause a vicious circle. You feel bad about yourself, so you get depressed, which makes you feel even worse about yourself, so you get more depressed and it can be difficult to break that cycle. Positive thinking and boosting self-esteem will improve emotional wellbeing.

Self-esteem is how you think about yourself, the opinion you have of yourself. If you have low self-esteem, the thoughts you have about yourself tend to be negative and focus on what you think are your weaknesses. Having a low opinion of yourself can make you more prone to mental health problems such as eating disorders, depression or anxiety and phobias.

Self-esteem can just be down to your own temperament. However, negative experiences in childhood can contribute to feelings of low self-esteem. People who have been abused or neglected in their childhoods often have low self-esteem or young people who feel they have not matched up to their parents’ expectations. Other things that can affect someone’s self-esteem include bullying, trauma, poor physical health and social exclusion.

Having low self-esteem can affect work, personal relationships and your social life so it is important to tackle low self-esteem to boost positive thinking and positive mental wellbeing.
top tips TO BOOST SELF-ESTEEM

In order to change your beliefs, you have to understand your negative beliefs. Think about what your weaknesses are, when you started to feel like this; can you identify something that has happened that might have caused you to feel like this?

Once you have identified the negative beliefs, gather evidence to challenge this and write them down so you have a list as evidence when you are feeling down. For example, if you feel you are unattractive, note it down when you receive a compliment from someone that says you look pretty or they like your new haircut.

Positive thinking exercises – write down the things you like about yourself. Think about your best feature and write it down – I like my eyes, for example. Think about things you have achieved and add them to the list. Think about nice things you have done for other people, skills you have, talents that you or others have noticed and write all these positive things down. This is good to look back on when you are having a bad day or when you are nervous about something such as an exam.

Friends and family – look at the people you have around you on a regular basis and think about how they make you feel. If you are spending a lot of time with someone who makes you feel rubbish about yourself then spend a bit less time with them and spend more time with people who make you feel good about yourself.

Take up a positive hobby.

Set yourself an aim – maybe a sponsored walk for charity which will make you feel good about yourself.

Source: http://www.youngminds.org.uk/for_children_young_people/better_mental_health/believe_in_yourself
I desire to read your comments on this article.

Thanks.

Poster's Bio

Re: Motivation For The Day by johnsondbolaji(m): 6:53pm On Jun 24, 2016
Daily, we need to be motivated, get more motivation on www.mainspringblog.com
Re: Motivation For The Day by Bigdreams(m): 12:18pm On Jun 25, 2016
Hello,

Thanks for following this thread so far. I believe it has been of immense benefit to you.

Today, I'll be sharing a particular resource on one particular killer of entrepreneurial progress and general success in life. It is the deadly disease of PROCRASTINATION. This post reveals the psychological origins of procrastination and how we can stop it.

I believe it will be a blessing to you.

Read on.....

Why Wait? The Psychological Origins of Procrastination

Source: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-motivated-brain/201510/why-wait-the-psychological-origins-procrastination

Research provides insights into why we procrastinate and how to stop.

“I love deadlines,” English author Douglas Adams once wrote. “I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”

We’ve all had the experience of wanting to get a project done but putting it off for later. Sometimes we wait because we just don’t care enough about the project, but other times we care a lot – and still end up doing something else. I, for one, end up cleaning my house when I have a lot of papers to grade, even though I know I need to grade them.

So why do we procrastinate? Are we built to operate this way at some times? Or is there something wrong with the way we’re approaching work?

These questions are central to my research on goal pursuit, which could offer some clues from neuroscience about why we procrastinate – and how to overcome this tendency.
To do, or not to do

It all starts with a simple choice between working now on a given project and doing anything else: working on a different project, doing something fun or doing nothing at all.

The decision to work on something is driven by how much we value accomplishing the project in that moment – what psychologists call its subjective value. And procrastination, in psychological terms, is what happens when the value of doing something else outweighs the value of working now.

This way of thinking suggests a simple trick to defeat procrastination: find a way to boost the subjective value of working now, relative to the value of other things. You could increase the value of the project, decrease the value of the distraction, or some combination of the two.

For example, instead of cleaning my house, I might try to focus on why grading is personally important to me. Or I could think about how unpleasant cleaning can actually be – especially when sharing a house with a toddler. It’s simple advice, but adhering to this strategy can be quite difficult, mainly because there are so many forces that diminish the value of working in the present.

The distant deadline
People are not entirely rational in the way they value things. For example, a dollar bill is worth exactly the same today as it is a week from now, but its subjective value – roughly how good it would feel to own a dollar – depends on other factors besides its face value, such as when we receive it. The tendency for people to devalue money and other goods based on time is called delay discounting. For example, one study showed that, on average, receiving $100 three months from now is worth the same to people as receiving $83 right now. People would rather lose $17 than wait a few months to get a larger reward.

Other factors also influence subjective value, such as how much money someone has recently gained or lost. The key point is that there is not a perfect match between objective value and subjective value. Delay discounting is a factor in procrastination because the completion of the project happens in the future. Getting something done is a delayed reward, so its value in the present is reduced: the further away the deadline is, the less attractive it seems to work on the project right now.

Studies have repeatedly shown that the tendency to procrastinate closely follows economic models of delay discounting. Furthermore, people who characterize themselves as procrastinators show an exaggerated effect. They discount the value of getting something done ahead of time even more than other people. One way to increase the value of completing a task is to make the finish line seem closer. For example, vividly imagining a future reward reduces delay discounting.

No work is ‘effortless’

Not only can completing a project be devalued because it happens in the future, but working on a project can also be unattractive due to the simple fact that work takes effort. New research supports the idea that mental effort is intrinsically costly; for this reason, people generally choose to work on an easier task rather than a harder task. Furthermore, there are greater subjective costs for work that feels harder (though these costs can be offset by experience with the task at hand).

This leads to the interesting prediction that people would procrastinate more the harder they expect the work to be. That’s because the more effort a task requires, the more someone stands to gain by putting the same amount of effort into something else (a phenomenon economists call opportunity costs). Opportunity costs make working on something that seems hard feels like a loss. Sure enough, a group of studies shows that people procrastinate more on unpleasant tasks. These results suggest that reducing the pain of working on a project, for example by breaking it down into more familiar and manageable pieces, would be an effective way to reduce procrastination.

Your work, your identity
When we write that procrastination is a side effect of the way we value things, it frames task completion as a product of motivation, rather than ability. In other words, you can be really good at something, whether it’s cooking a gourmet meal or writing a story, but if you don’t possess the motivation, or sense of importance, to complete the task, it’ll likely be put off.

It was for this reason that the writer Robert Hanks, in a recent essay for the London Review of Books, described procrastination as “a failure of appetites.” The source of this “appetite” can be a bit tricky. But one could argue that, like our (real) appetite for food, it’s something that’s closely intertwined with our daily lives, our culture and our sense of who we are.

So how does one increase the subjective value of a project? A powerful way – one that my graduate students and I have written about in detail – is to connect the project to your self-concept. Our hypothesis is that projects seen as important to a person’s self-concept will hold more subjective value for that person.

It’s for this reason that Hanks also wrote that procrastination seems to stem from a failure to “identify sufficiently with your future self” – in other words, the self for whom the goal is most relevant. Because people are motivated to maintain a positive self-concept, goals connected closely to one’s sense of self or identity take on much more value. Connecting the project to more immediate sources of value, such as life goals or core values, can fill the deficit in subjective value that underlies procrastination.

Elliot Berkman is Assistant Professor of Psychology and Director of the Social and Affective Neuroscience Laboratory at the University of Oregon. Follow him on Twitter @Psychologician.

Let's have your comments.

Thank you.

Poster's Bio

Re: Motivation For The Day by Bigdreams(m): 2:57pm On Jun 29, 2016
Hi,

Today's article will be focused on Management Skills.

I do believe you will gain a lot from it.

Kindly leave your comments below.

Thank you.

How Good Are Your Management Skills? Source: https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTMM_28.htm

You need a lot of skills to become a good manager.

In business, we often seem to focus less on good management, and more on the glamorous and exciting work of leadership. However, managers are responsible for making sure that things are done properly. And while leaders may bring us vision, inspiration and challenge, these things count for nothing without the efficient implementation brought about by good management.

To be a great manager, you must have an extensive set of skills – from planning and delegation to communication and motivation. Because the skill set is so wide, it's tempting to build skills in the areas of management that you're already comfortable with. But, for your long-term success, it's wise to analyze your skills in all areas of management – and then to challenge yourself to improve in all of these areas.

Effective management requires a wide range of skills, and each of these skills complements the others. Your goal should be to develop and maintain all of these skills, so that you can help your team accomplish its objectives efficiently and effectively. Read on for ideas and resources that you can use to do this.

A Model of Effective Management
We'll focus on these major areas:

Understanding team dynamics and encouraging good relationships.
Selecting and developing the right people.
Delegating effectively.
Motivating people.
Managing discipline and dealing with conflict.
Communicating.
Planning, making decisions, and problem solving.
Avoiding common managerial mistakes.

We'll explore each of these in more detail.

Understanding Team Dynamics and Encouraging Good Relationships
Good management means understanding how teams operate. It's worth remembering that teams usually follow a certain pattern of development: forming, norming, storming, and performing [Add to My Personal Learning Plan] . It's important to encourage and support people through this process, so that you can help your team become fully effective as quickly as possible.

When forming teams, managers must create a balance so that there's a diverse set of skills, personalities, and perspectives. You may think it's easier to manage a group of people who are likely to get along, but truly effective teams invite many viewpoints and use their differences to be creative and innovative. Here, your task is to develop the skills needed to steer those differences in a positive direction. This is why introducing a team charter [Add to My Personal Learning Plan] and knowing how to resolve team conflict [Add to My Personal Learning Plan] are so useful for managing your team effectively.

Selecting and Developing the Right People
Finding great new team members, and developing the skills needed for your team's success is another important part of team formation. You can improve your recruiting skills with our Recruiting Skills Bite-Sized Training pack, and with out articles on Hiring People – Questions to Ask, InBox Assessment , Using Recruitment Tests, and Aptitude Testing.

And you can develop people's skills with our articles on, among others, Successful Induction, Understanding Developmental Needs, Training Needs Assessment , and the GROW Model. You'll also find our Bite-Sized Training session on Mentoring Skills useful.

Delegating Effectively
Having the right people with the right skills isn't sufficient for a team's success. Managers must also know how to get the job done efficiently. Delegation is the key to this. Some managers, especially those who earned their positions based on their technical expertise, try to do most of the work themselves. They think that, because they're responsible for the work, they should do it themselves to make sure it's done right. Effective managers recognize that by assigning work to the right people (not just those with the most time available), and clearly outlining expectations, teams can accomplish much more. But it's often difficult to trust others to do the job. As a manager, remember that when your team members have the right skills, training and motivation, you can usually trust them to get the work done right.

Find out your strengths and weaknesses related to delegation by taking our quiz How Well Do You Delegate? [Add to My Personal Learning Plan]

Motivating People
Another necessary management skill is motivating others. It's one thing to motivate yourself, but it's quite another to motivate someone else. The key thing to remember is that motivation is personal. We're all motivated by different things, and we all have different levels of personal motivation. So, getting to know your team members on a personal level allows you to motivate your people better. Providing feedback [Add to My Personal Learning Plan] on a regular basis is a very powerful strategy to help you stay informed about what's happening with individual team members. You can test your motivation skills [Add to My Personal Learning Plan] with our quiz, and use your answers to develop your skills further.

...Cont'd in the next post...

Re: Motivation For The Day by Bigdreams(m): 3:01pm On Jun 29, 2016
Managing Discipline and Dealing with Conflict
Sometimes, despite your best efforts, there are problems with individual performance. As a manager, you have to deal with these promptly. If you don't discipline, you risk negative impacts on the rest of the team as well as your customers, as poor performance typically impacts customer service, and it hurts the team and everything that the team has accomplished. It's very demotivating to work beside someone who consistently fails to meet expectations, so if you tolerate it, the rest of the team will likely suffer. In our article on team management skills [Add to My Personal Learning Plan] , we explore this issue in further detail and give you some examples.

Team performance will also suffer when differences between individual team members turn into outright conflict, and it's your job as team manager to facilitate a resolution. Read our article on Resolving Team Conflict [Add to My Personal Learning Plan] for a three-step process for doing this. However, conflict can be positive when it highlights underlying structural problems – make sure that you recognize conflict and deal with its causes, rather than just suppressing its symptoms or avoiding it.

Communicating
An element that's common to all of these management skills is effective communication. This is critical to any position you hold, but as a manager, it's especially important (you can test your communication skills [Add to My Personal Learning Plan] with our quiz here [Add to My Personal Learning Plan] ). You need to let your team know what's happening and keep them informed as much as possible. Team briefing [Add to My Personal Learning Plan] is a specific communication skill that managers should improve. Also, develop the ability to facilitate [Add to My Personal Learning Plan] effectively, so that you can guide your team to a better understanding and serve as a moderator when necessary.

Planning, Problem Solving and Decision-Making
Many managers are very comfortable with planning, problem solving and decision making, given that they're often skilled specialists who've been promoted because of their knowledge and analytical abilities. As such, one of the most important issues that managers experience is that they focus so intensely on these skills when they think about self-development that they fail to develop their people skills and team management skills. Make sure that you don't focus on these skills too much!

However, if you need to develop these skills, see our major sections on Problem Solving, Decision-Making, and Project Management. You'll find many rich skills improvement resources in these areas.

Avoiding Common Managerial Mistakes
Good communication helps you develop facilitation skills, and it also helps you avoid some of the most common problems for managers. Some of these common mistakes are thinking that you can rely on your technical skills alone, asking your boss to solve your problems, putting your boss in the awkward position of having to defend you, and not keeping your boss informed. Our article on Team Management Skills [Add to My Personal Learning Plan] highlights what to do to avoid these, and other managerial problems that you should be aware of.

Key Points

You need to develop and improve your managerial skills on an ongoing basis as your career develops and as you meet new managerial challenges.

Whether you manage a department or a project team, it's important to know how to get the work done right. When you're asked to achieve something with the help of others, it's complex – and you spend much of your time managing relationships instead of doing the actual work. So, you must develop not only your technical skills, but your management skills as well.

Delegating, motivating, communicating, and understanding team dynamics are some of the key skills needed. With those skills, along with patience and a strong sense of balance, you can become a very effective manager.

Poster's Bio

Re: Motivation For The Day by Bigdreams(m): 10:08am On Jun 30, 2016
Good day everyone,

Today, I'll be sharing with us "15 Small Things Successful People Do Every Day" by Casey Imafidon

Source: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/15-small-things-successful-people-every-day.html

Please, take your time to read through.

I believe it will help you greatly.

There are certain people that come to your mind when you think about success. Perhaps they are people like Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, or Larry Page. Yet the frenzy around these people can be so noisy that you start getting bewildered on what it actually takes to achieve success. The truth is that what successful people do daily, the things that define them, are actually discreet and little actions. Here are fifteen small things successful people do every day.

1. They focus on being productive rather than being busy
According to Tim Ferris, the author of the The 4-Hour Workweek, “Slow down and remember this: Most things make no difference. Being busy is often a form of mental laziness – lazy thinking and indiscriminate action.”

2. They wake up early
Sergio Marchionne, the CEO of Fiat and Chrysler, wakes up as early as 3:30am to deal with the European market. Tim Cook, the CEO of Apple Inc., starts his day as early as 4:30am to send emails. Jeffrey Immelt, the CEO of General Electric, says he wakes up by 5:30am for his daily workout routine.

3. They focus on being with the best team
Renowned basketball coach Phil Jackson said, “The strength of the team is each individual member. The strength of each member is the team.” Successful people know that they have to be with people who will complement them. Company and management expert Ken Blanchard says, “None of us is as smart as all of us.”

4. They focus on making small and continuous improvements
There is a concept that you cannot eat an elephant all at once. You have to take it one bit at a time. Henry Ford once said, “Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small pieces.”

5. They meditate
According to Oprah Winfrey on meditation, “the results have been awesome. Better sleep. Improved relationships with spouses, children, coworkers. Some people who once suffered migraines don’t anymore. Greater productivity and creativity all around.” Successful people take time to meditate. The founder of Def Jam, Russell Simmons, says Transcendental meditation changed his life.

6. They take care of their bodies
Regular exercise doesn’t only keep the body physically healthy, but also helps with your mental state. The chief of Starwood Hotels & Resorts, Frits van Paasschen, starts at 6am and runs 10 miles per day. President Barack Obama runs 3 miles or exercises 45 minutes per day, six days a week.

7. They have balanced lives
To achieve wonderful things in life, you need to maintain balance. Successful people keep a balance with making money, spending time with their family and loved ones, and achieving personal goals.

8. They focus on the positive
In his book, The Happiness Advantage, Shawn Achor explains that a recent scientific study showed that doctors who are put in a positive mood before making a diagnosis consistently experience significant boosts to their intellectual abilities compared with doctors in a neutral state. Because of this, they are able to make accurate diagnoses almost 20% faster. Successful people are always optimistic about situations.

9. They keep track of their progress
Eminem, Oprah Winfrey, and J.K Rowling all keep journals. They are able to keep track of their progress, set goals, reflect, and learn from their mistakes. They understand that they need a map to accomplish great things. Sometimes, this notebook or journal is the map they need.

10. They create their success
They understand that they are responsible for their success and that good luck is not something that magically happens. They know that you have to earn the right to be successful. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill states, “You are the master of your destiny.” You can influence, direct, and control your own environment. You can make your life what you want it to be.

11. They have successful friends
According to Jim Rohn, you are the average of your five closest friends. Successful people know this, and that is why they keep company with mentors and other successful people. In Tribes by Seth Godin, you are encouraged to find your tribe and make a difference in all of your lives.

12. They inspire others to be successful as well
Former Apple CEO Steve Jobs had a way of helping others to cultivate their creativity. According to Steve Jobs, “Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn’t really do it; they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after awhile.”

13. They have a consistent schedule
Rameet Chawla, founder of Fueled, believes a consistent schedule helps with prioritization and focusing on what is important. With a consistent schedule, you are better driven to achieve success.

14. They have a detailed plan
Before leaving the office at night, Kenneth Chenault, CEO of American Express, writes down top three things he wants to accomplish the next day. He begins each day with this list.

15. They never procrastinate or make excuses
Mark Twain once said, “Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.” Successful people do not take chances, they take action and get the tough assignments done first.

Poster's Bio

Re: Motivation For The Day by Bigdreams(m): 1:34pm On Jul 08, 2016
Hello all, today's article is about Time Management.

Time is an asset that is fixed and cannot be extended. All our productivity is done within the context of the time available to us. How we manage that time goes a long way to determine how successful and productive we will be.

Please, take your time to read through this educating article.

Thank you.

5 Productivity Promises You Won’t Keep

Are You Over-promising Your Time Commitments?

Source: https://timemanagementninja.com/2016/07/5-productivity-promises-you-wont-keep/#more-25956

Do you make promises that your time can’t keep?

Simple ones like, “I’ll only be a minute.”

Silly ones like, “Give me a second.”
Really, one second?

Or bad ones like, “I will call you back today.”
Yet, you don’t write it down or set an alarm.

You need to stop making commitments that you can’t or won’t keep.

Making False Promises About Your Time
As part of your day, you probably say many unrealistic things about your time. It is common to say things that we don’t really mean. You may promise to do something in an unrealistic timeframe. Or deliver something before it is possible. Or get back to someone while you are still busy.

Why do you make productivity promises that you don’t keep?
Perhaps, you had good intentions but underestimated your time availability. Or maybe you didn’t really intend to follow-thru. Or you weren’t sure how long a task would take.

Whatever the case, you are creating false expectations with those around you. They will expect you will do what you said, only to be let down.

“Don’t make promises about your time that you can’t or won’t keep.”

Your time management reputation is based on being realistic about your time, tasks, and priorities. When you aren’t, you will continue to make promises that you can’t keep.

Here are 5 Time Promises that you won’t keep:

I’ll only be a minute – How many minutes? This is a common cop-out that usually leads to long periods of lack of follow-up. Better to set an appointment at a later time than have an indefinite follow-up expectation.

Give me a second… – It probably took you more than a second to even make that statement. From the outset you are being unrealistic about your time. Again, try to give a truer estimate about how long until you will be available. Maybe it is 10, 20, or 30 minutes.

I’ll have it to you today – Before you make a promise like this, ask yourself, “Are you really going to deliver before you go home today?” If not, then don’t make that promise.

It will be done before the due date – If you don’t take deadlines seriously, then you will find yourself late with deliverables and projects.

I’ll call you back later – At what time? This is another common mis-step. Of course, later comes the obligatory, “I forgot to call you.” Set a reminder or alarm to ensure that you keep promises like this. Add it to your return call list, or even your todo list if the call can be made a later date.

Don’t Make (Time) Promises You Can’t Keep

Be realistic about your time and commitments.

Don’t make silly or bad time promises that you know you can’t or won’t keep.

By setting realistic and truthful expectations with others, you’ll find yourself making less apologies, having less stress, and getting the important tasks done.

Poster's Bio

Re: Motivation For The Day by Bigdreams(m): 9:39pm On Sep 16, 2016
Many people complain about the nation, the economy, the politicians and the general rising cost of living.

It is enough to complain. What are you doing about the complaints? Don't you know that whatever you can complain about, you can also provide solution to?

I refuse to complain.

I refuse to sit down and look at things go down the drain.

I am a solution.

I am a solutions provider.

I am recession-proof.

To this end, I'm organizing a FREE SEMINAR titled: How To Convert Your Skills To Cash And Make Consistent Income No Matter The State Of The Economy.

In this FREE SEMINAR, I'll be teaching you;

1. What skills are.

2. Discovering the skills that are inside of you.

3. How to unleash those skills to make money.

4. The tools you will need to monetize your skills.

5. FREE Methods of promotion/marketing that I use and has worked for me over the years.

6. How to put your skills in the faces of those who need them and who are willing to pay you cash in return.

7. How to bullet proof yourself in this economic recession and smile to the bank.

This seminar is FREE and won't cost you a dime.

The date is Saturday, October 1st 2016

Venue: Training Center, Ejigbo, Lagos.

Time: 9am prompt.

You can't afford to wallow in self pity and continue to blame everyone but yourself.

You can't afford to continue to say there's no money in Nigeria even when foreign companies are busy everyday transferring money they make from Nigeria back to their countries.

Who Is This Seminar For?
Students of all cadres, Artisans, Unemployed, Underemployed, The employed seeking another source of income, Civil Servants, Job seekers, etc.

FEE:
It's FREE, COMPLETELY FREE.

Mark the date on your calendar - Saturday, October 1st 2016.

For further enquiries, please reach me on 08144303049 - Call or whatsapp.

Thank you.

I AM RECESSION PROOF!
Re: Motivation For The Day by presidentpikin: 11:27am On Sep 17, 2016
very insightful...Thank you so much for this piece
Re: Motivation For The Day by dataideas: 11:24pm On Dec 31, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Please How Long Does It Take For ATM Debit Error To Reverse? / Why You Should Invest In An INTERNET Real Estate / How To Become A Data Reseller (no worry about share limit or validity issues)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.