Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,755 members, 7,827,800 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

7 Facts About English You Don't Know - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Facts About English You Don't Know (32240 Views)

What Some Of You Never Knew About English Letters And Sounds. / Facts About Nigeria: You'll Be Shocked To Find Out You Don't Know 99% Of This / Eighteen(18) Startling Facts About English Language That You Need To Know. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Facts About English You Don't Know by KaptaynKush: 11:21pm On Jun 23, 2016
[quote author=KhaleesiAdaz post=46854602]
Ewu and you had to quote the entire post [/quot

Wetin concern you
Re: 7 Facts About English You Don't Know by alex406(m): 1:32am On Jun 24, 2016
What a coincidence. Just recently i was thinking why English is so easy to learn and speak unlike other languages like portuguese. In portuguese, a phrase cannot be used for a man and a woman. E.g meu Homen( my man) and minha mulher(my woman). Now you can see the difference which takes us to point number 3(Grammatical Gender). Exposure is so dramatic and sweet.
Re: 7 Facts About English You Don't Know by Ligxy(f): 4:34am On Jun 24, 2016
rummeh:
English is a pretty important language, and it’s spoken pretty much around the world. Despite English’s significant role around the world, there’s a lot of interesting facts about the language that most people don’t know about...

Source: http://www.newsdoggen.org/2016/06/7-facts-about-english-you-probably-do.html

Dont forget to COMMENT!!!
Your title should read: 7 facts about the English language that you don't know...

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About English You Don't Know by rummeh: 6:01am On Jun 24, 2016
Ligxy:

Your title should read: 7 facts about the English language that you don't know...
Thanks for the correction
Re: 7 Facts About English You Don't Know by charlesucheh(m): 7:19am On Jun 24, 2016
What about d creol being spoken in naija? Is that not pidgin?
Re: 7 Facts About English You Don't Know by jude90(m): 11:17am On Jun 24, 2016
wow nice
Re: 7 Facts About English You Don't Know by Kexorcist(m): 4:23am On Jun 25, 2016
7 more facts about English I totally didn't just make up because OP is l33t and makes me feel like posting something good.

1. English has a mainly subject-verb-object word order, but it also can take a V2 word order. V2 word order means sometimes the verb ends up in weird places.

2. English has the most speakers of any language, but has only the third most number of native speakers. Over a billion people speak English around the world, but only about 330,000,000 actually are native speakers.

3. English has crazy spelling because people wanted to either keep reminders of how things used to be, or they wanted to make it more like Latin.

4. English is weird. In a comparison of 239 different languages for wierdness, English ranked 33'rd.

5. English is used as an international language. Airports and airlines must use English. Ships use English. International politics is conducted in English. The United Nations does most of its business in English.

6. English has so many different potential moods and tenses that linguists have given up on trying to categorize them all.

7. English has a large phonetic inventory. Although is has an average number of consonants, 12, English has 13 vowels! The average is 5.

charlesucheh:
What about d creol being spoken in naija? Is that not pidgin?

Yes, that is pidgin. A pidgin is a mixed language that nobody speaks natively. A creole is like a pidgin that people speak as their first language.
Re: 7 Facts About English You Don't Know by Nobody: 7:35am On Jun 27, 2016
ALAYORMII:
What about the Creole they speak in Liberia and Ethiopia

Go Liberia go hear stupid English

You go dey confuse

but here in ethiopia . . . we speak amharic(አማርኛ) count ethiopia out
Re: 7 Facts About English You Don't Know by robosky02(m): 9:14am On Jun 27, 2016
Ednite:

but here in ethiopia . . . we speak amharic(አማርኛ) count ethiopia out

hi Edi

longest time hows Ethiopia

the home of Black civilization
Re: 7 Facts About English You Don't Know by Nobody: 11:40am On Jun 27, 2016
robosky02:

hi Edi
longest time hows Ethiopia
the home of Black civilization
I think things are better now. How are you doing? Anything new out there?
Re: 7 Facts About English You Don't Know by robosky02(m): 1:27pm On Jun 27, 2016
Ednite:

I think things are better now. How are you doing?
Anything new out there?

nothing is ever new under the sun
we only have a "new" reoccurrence

like the new miss nairaland lol cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Today's Mock Jamb Was Indeed A Mockery / Parents To Withdraw Children From Madonna University Over Students’ Detention / No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.