Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,675 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:54 PM

Understanding The Epistles 1 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Understanding The Epistles 1 (488 Views)

The Epistles / End Time Epistles To Christians Out There! / Understanding The Epistles 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Understanding The Epistles 1 by EPyano(m): 8:40am On Jun 23, 2016
I'll never forget my first study of the first epistle of John, I ended up so confused.

In 1John 1:8-10, he includes himself in the 'sinning gang' by using the word "we":

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives." (1 John 1:10 NIV)

As if that wasn't enough, he then told little children(Young Christians) not to sin:

"My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin..." 1John 2:1 (NIV)

Finally, in 1John 3:9, he says "a believer cannot sin"

I was stuck, for months, running into years; searching for answers. Thank God understanding came!

Here are truths about the Epistles I've learnt along the way:

1. It recognizes different stages in Christianity:

The baby stage:

Where the believer just got born again and doesn't look(act) or feel different from the unbelievers.

The first recommendation for this stage is to be kept under a Governor(representing spiritual authority and one who is already living the Christian life) and a Teacher(one who teaches).

"Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all; but is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father." (Galatians 4:1-2 KJV).

Go for the sincere milk as recommended in 1Peter 2:2, "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation," (1 Peter 2:2 NIV).

Spiritual adolescence:

This is when the Christian has grown and understood some spiritual principles and is working towards being consistent in his Christian living. The Christian life requires consistency and it takes a conscious effort to build that in. Jesus said,

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. " (John 15:4 KJV).

A believer has got to learn to how to be consistent in:

Prayer, Fasting, Studying the Bible, Evangelism and many others.

Coming from not doing any of those, to building those in, requires self-discipline; this is why we are called disciples. Without self-discipline a believer will never achieve any of those.

In the Bible, Jesus trained His disciples to pray and also to pray for long too.

When He told them to kneel down and pray right behind him. Then, after one hour He'd check on them:

"Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me". Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will". Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?" he asked Peter." (Matthew 26: 38-40 NIV).

Without these basic disciplines being mastered, a believer won't reach maturity.

The spiritual man:

He doesn't try to act a certain way, he has been around for a while and finally doesn't need to "try to". He has become God's dream and is helping others to grow too. It's now natural for him since he has practiced for a while.

The Epistles contain no instructions for this level; since the writers are on this level: they always used the word "we" when referring to this level; to show that the writers are also part of this level and so can't instruct those who are on the same level as themselves.

"Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." (1 John 3:16 KJV).

He doesn't instruct them to do that; but, sounds like he is talking to a group that he is a part of.

When reading the Epistles recognize this fact and study to determine which group that message is referring to; or you may end up as confused as I used to be.

Is/are there any POSITIVE difference/differences between your life today and yesterday? What new thing have you added to your faith?

Amazingly, your present level doesn't matter; all that counts is; are you making progress?

God Bless You!
http://apocalypse.pun.bz/understanding-the-epistles-1.xhtml

(1) (Reply)

HU Can Create Miracles In Your Life (video) / Police Arrest Imam Who Ordered Youths To Chase Butchered Redeemed preacher / The Fright Of Winner01

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.