Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,975 members, 7,817,874 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong (15385 Views)

See What A Melting Road Did To Car Tyres After An Heavy Rain & Sun In Australia / Placing Plastic On A Car As Method Of Advertising For Sale: What's Origin? / On Tyres: Is It Advisable To Use Tubes Inside Tubeless Tyres (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by nedu2000(m): 11:48am On Jun 23, 2016
Tyres are made to resist elasticity and are made to be rugged!! How would a tyre which after its manufacturing date is stamped on(could've been backdated) and possibly kept in a warehouse for weeks or even months be given an expiry date?

If a tyre is to have an expiry date 4yr from its manufacture then why isn't the expiry date written to its body?

FRSC who isn't a manufacturer and likewise doesn't have the ability to know the true composition of respective tyres shouldn't be the one to impose expiry dates on them.

What if I bought a car(tyres) and I rarely used it for 4yrs,would I be compared to tyres that undergo inter-state trips everyday for 2yrs?

What the FRSC should however be doing is to physically inspect tyres for wear/tear. To ask the citizens of 3rd-world countries to change its tyres every 4yrs is tasking and would push people to prioritise 'date of manufacture' to the actual quality of tyres.

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by Flexherbal(m): 12:18pm On Jun 23, 2016
Your questions are not out of place.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by adanny01(m): 11:35pm On Jun 23, 2016
Tires age dangerously because of a chemical process commonly referred to as oxidation, which simply means that as the tire components are exposed to oxygen, the oxygen particles cause the flexible components of a tire to harden and become brittle. Over time, the tire will simply fall apart under normal stress, just like an old rubber band. Because this process occurs naturally, it does not matter if a tire is being used, stored as a spare, or simply waiting on a store shelf for an unsuspecting consumer.

Blow a baloon and leave it in the sun or just indoors, its just a matter of time before it blows out. Have you imagine why new plastic chairs these days are dangerous to sit but after a year they are strong but a year later they are brittle.

The only thing you should be talking about is how long does it actually take a tire to expire. I have seen 4, 5 and 6. I am no longer sure but i know how to check for one besides the manufacture date.

I have noticed that an expire tire would stain a white cloth. It will show very tiny cracks and wear very fast. It will most likely have tiny bits of it chopped off. It will change shape and become wobbly especially it too much pressure is but in it. All these things i see do not happen under 4years even with the chinese substandard tires.

I agree with you that it will be wrong for FRSC to make an arrest based on the believe that one's tire is expired. How can they proof that all tires expire in 4 years and when it is not written as an offence.

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by diportivo: 11:19am On Jun 24, 2016
I don't see the argument here

All over the world,tyres av been said to expire after 4 years... simple!

If u want to argue legislation,vis-à-vis ur third world country claim,ur opinion.......dat doesn't,in any way,change the fact that 4 years remain the shelf life of a tyre

5 Likes

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by 9icetoo(m): 5:29pm On Jun 24, 2016
diportivo:

If u want to argue legislation,vis-à-vis ur third world country claim,ur opinion.......dat doesn't,in any way,change the fact that 4 years remain the shelf life of a tyre
all over which world? the same one I reside in? bia kpachara anya gi.
what u posted is blasphemy. if it were those days, I would have stoned you with expired 4 year old tires.
no tire manufacturer fixed a 4 year expiry tag on their tires. FACT.
FRSC is just plain stupid. FACT.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by diportivo: 6:07pm On Jun 24, 2016
9icetoo:

if it were those days, I would have stoned you with expired 4 year old tires.

If only I cld deduce ur reasons for this violent thought undecided

Apart from maybe u not seeing beyond ur nose angry

1 Like

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by nedu2000(m): 8:15pm On Jun 24, 2016
If I could contact with representative on the nat'l house of assembly,i would make him see reason,FRSC is trying to make money out of Nigerians via the inevitable defaulters.

4 Likes

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by azure15: 7:40pm On Jul 20, 2016
What is the basis of the 4 years stated by FRSC? Michelin even says their tires can last for 10 years http://m.michelinman.com/US/en/help/do-I-need-new-tires.tip_list_tab_0.html

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by erico2k2(m): 8:46pm On Jul 20, 2016
adanny01:
Tires age dangerously because of a chemical process commonly referred to as oxidation, which simply means that as the tire components are exposed to oxygen, the oxygen particles cause the flexible components of a tire to harden and become brittle. Over time, the tire will simply fall apart under normal stress, just like an old rubber band. Because this process occurs naturally, it does not matter if a tire is being used, stored as a spare, or simply waiting on a store shelf for an unsuspecting consumer.

Blow a baloon and leave it in the sun or just indoors, its just a matter of time before it blows out. Have you imagine why new plastic chairs these days are dangerous to sit but after a year they are strong but a year later they are brittle.

The only thing you should be talking about is how long does it actually take a tire to expire. I have seen 4, 5 and 6. I am no longer sure but i know how to check for one besides the manufacture date.

I have noticed that an expire tire would stain a white cloth. It will show very tiny cracks and wear very fast. It will most likely have tiny bits of it chopped off. It will change shape and become wobbly especially it too much pressure is but in it. All these things i see do not happen under 4years even with the chinese substandard tires.

I agree with you that it will be wrong for FRSC to make an arrest based on the believe that one's tire is expired. How can they proof that all tires expire in 4 years and when it is not written as an offence.
Now you have written all that, could you please show me anywhere a major tyre maker said it sets its expiry date to 4 years plz? Im waiting

10 Likes

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by erico2k2(m): 8:48pm On Jul 20, 2016
diportivo:

STOP, what world,
are you talking about your dream world?
Stop supporting these thieves, who have misplaced priorities.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by diportivo: 8:57pm On Jul 20, 2016
erico2k2:

STOP, what world,
are you talking about your dream world?
Stop supporting these thieves, who have misplaced priorities.

If u av a contradictory opinion,just go ahead and state it

Leave my dream world alone undecided

If tyres last forever,say it and prove it

Airing my opinion is allowed,.....last tym I checked

6 Likes

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by adanny01(m): 9:15pm On Jul 20, 2016
erico2k2:

Now you have written all that, could you please show me anywhere a major tyre maker said it sets its expiry date to 4 years plz? Im waiting

Non said so. Even i wonder why 4 yrs. FRSC has adopted 4 yrs too. I dont like it because they cannot proof that my tires are expired neither do any law guides that.

My convicton is based on published researches, general experiences and observations with use of rubber products weather synthetic or natural. Most publications i have seen state 4-6years as expiry periods for tires. Of course i agree tires expire, but the expiry period is not precise.

1 Like

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by nedu2000(m): 10:06pm On Jul 20, 2016
adanny01:

Non said so. Even i wonder why 4 yrs. FRSC has adopted 4 yrs too. I dont like it because they cannot proof that my tires are expired neither do any law guides that.

My convicton is based on published researches, general experiences and observations with use of rubber products weather synthetic or natural. Most publications i have seen state 4-6years as expiry periods for tires. Of course i agree tires expire, but the expiry period is not precise.
exactly!! Depends on the brand/model,even usage
Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by mastro: 8:55am On Jul 21, 2016
erico2k2:

I'm also waiting ....
Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by adanny01(m): 9:55am On Jul 21, 2016
mastro:

I'm also waiting ....

How long do you think you can wait?
Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by erico2k2(m): 10:15am On Jul 21, 2016
diportivo:

If u av a contradictory opinion,just go ahead and state it

Leave my dream world alone undecided

If tyres last forever,say it and prove it

Airing my opinion is allowed,.....last tym I checked
ok this will wake you from your Dream
http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/buying-guide/when-should-i-change-my-tyres
and
Roger Griggs from Kwikfit said: "Tyres contain anti-oxidising chemicals to slow the rate of ageing, but they need to be in use for these to be effective. Infrequent use or poor storage can accelerate the ageing process and make tyres unroadworthy. Low mileage, older cars tend to be most at risk from premature ageing."
this cancels your oxidating theory you lot been banging on
source http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/how-to/10154805/How-to-check-when-your-tyres-were-manufactured.html

2 Likes

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by diportivo: 12:41pm On Jul 21, 2016
erico2k2:

ok this will wake you from your Dream
http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/buying-guide/when-should-i-change-my-tyres
and
Roger Griggs from Kwikfit said: "Tyres contain anti-oxidising chemicals to slow the rate of ageing, but they need to be in use for these to be effective. Infrequent use or poor storage can accelerate the ageing process and make tyres unroadworthy. Low mileage, older cars tend to be most at risk from premature ageing."
this cancels your oxidating theory you lot been banging on
source http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/how-to/10154805/How-to-check-when-your-tyres-were-manufactured.html

I av read the links

The first is very educative

Michelin even says 10years sef...but ofcos dar all things being equal...guage,state of the road,manner of usage etc

I'm not in support if the legislation per se.....but we too dey manage for this country

Nice info

4 Likes

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by erico2k2(m): 2:25pm On Jul 21, 2016
diportivo:

I av read the links

The first is very educative

Michelin even says 10years sef...but ofcos dar all things being equal...guage,state of the road,manner of usage etc

I'm not in support if the legislation per se.....but we too dey manage for this country

Nice info
Yeh true, we dey manage, but the govt should fix the rds first b4 penalizing motorist for the state of thier vehicles, we already pay tax on the roads so govt should fix the roads first then penalize motorist for the stat of any part of thier vehicles afterwards not teh other way round
And let me tell you this new rules FRSC is trying to enforce has no benefit for anyone else rather for themselves.Another outlet to esturt money from me and you.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by coalcoal1(m): 6:19am On Jul 22, 2016
i concur
Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by adioolayi(m): 6:21am On Jul 22, 2016
I hate them taking advantage of Gridlock due to bad portion of a major highway to stopping road users....They are fond of this on Lagos-Ibadan expressway....especially between Mowe and Ibafo....To me it's a bad practice.

Imagine stopping already tensed, aggressive driver which are results of terrible traffic congestion....such driver can do the unthinkable sometimes.

3 Likes

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by Psalmuel92(m): 6:22am On Jul 22, 2016
I Concur
Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by tete7000(m): 6:23am On Jul 22, 2016
I have argued this on nairaland before. FRSC or any Nigerian institution has never claimed to have done any research on tyre expiration. Only documentation I ever read online were those of American Department of Transport (DOT) and while those recommended that tyre 'may' because of statistics available to them expire in six years, none conclusively took that position. What was finally arrived at is that many other factors relating to maintenance determine how soon a tyre expires. No tyre manufacturing companiy anywhere even agreed his tyre expires. While a new tyre not properly maintain can soon expire, an old tyre well aligned, well balanced, properly and regularly gauged and regularly rotated can last 10yrs. However, our research-dearth road safety corp in a bid to make quick money in their characteristically lackadaisical manner imposed this time line on you and me to extort cheap money from us. Ours is an educationally backward and money seeking society. Imagine a former FRSC corp commandant then saying they embark on issuing new driver's licence and number plates to generate revenue for government. Must every issue be reduced to revenue generation drive?

3 Likes

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by jazinogold(m): 6:26am On Jul 22, 2016
ok
Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by gunpoint(m): 6:26am On Jul 22, 2016
Just negodu these lame arses

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by Ngasky(m): 6:30am On Jul 22, 2016
g
Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by Vendoor(f): 6:31am On Jul 22, 2016
All the Tyre manufacturing companies have left The country and that do not bother the Government at all.

Well, There is no expiring date for Tyres. They only wear and tear depending on usage. FRSC is on institution that need serious probing.

1 Like

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by Badgers14: 6:31am On Jul 22, 2016
So FRSC can arrest someone because of an expired tyres

O oo ya oooo grin
Wetin man pikin no go hear grin grin
Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by tlops(m): 6:33am On Jul 22, 2016
Usually, the depth of the threads is what is used to test it. For a tyre to be road worthy, it must have a depth 0.5 to 0.7cm. This shows how worn out the tyre is and it's ability to create friction.
Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by stallion2: 6:35am On Jul 22, 2016
nedu2000:
Tyres are made to resist elasticity and are made to be rugged!! How would a tyre which after its manufacturing date is stamped on(could've been backdated) and possibly kept in a warehouse for weeks or even months be given an expiry date?

If a tyre is to have an expiry date 4yr from its manufacture then why isn't the expiry date written to its body?

FRSC who isn't a manufacturer and likewise doesn't have the ability to know the true composition of respective tyres shouldn't be the one to impose expiry dates on them.

What if I bought a car(tyres) and I rarely used it for 4yrs,would I be compared to tyres that undergo inter-state trips everyday for 2yrs?

What the FRSC should however be doing is to physically inspect tyres for wear/tear. To ask the citizens of 3rd-world countries to change its tyres every 4yrs is tasking and would push people to prioritise 'date of manufacture' to the actual quality of tyres.
ur concerns are ok, but remember that among other factors its enviromental factors that degrades tyres the most
Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by bodejohn(m): 6:38am On Jul 22, 2016
The yorubas have an adage that says...if you had ever witnessed the destruction caused by thunder...you will not abuse it's god.

One of the tyres of my Honda Crv blew out on the 3rd main land bridge this year...the tyre that did the damage was only some months past the four years....

I lost the car and I was just lucky we didn't trip over into the lagoon. I will rather stick with the four year usefull life for tyres and be safe than argue it and remain at risk.

If FRSC is unable to prove that my tyres are expired after four years...how am I able to prove that they haven't?

3 Likes

Re: Why The Placing Of A 4-yr Expiry Date For tyres is wrong by Feranchek(m): 6:38am On Jul 22, 2016
Cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? / In Your Opinion / Who Taught You How To Drive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.