Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,432 members, 7,819,557 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

Euro Special Flops - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Euro Special Flops (670 Views)

Auba,lacazette Flops As Harry Kane Scores 7th London derby goals / Who Are Your Top 5 Football Flops? / Masters At Selling Flops: See List Of Chelsea Players Sold For £411.8m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Euro Special Flops by itelambassador1: 10:53pm On Jun 23, 2016
# Euro2016 Flops and Travellers : In France, we have been able to separate the boys from the men as 16 have been chosen from the initial 24 who came into town only just few weeks ago. However, after 3games the world got to find out that 8 of those only came for tourist attraction and as you're currently reading this, they should be on their way to their respective destinations. We have decided to single out some so called big name players who will be travelling home with the rest of their teammates and tag them flops-n-travellers in this discussion. Numero Uno has to be no other than Zlatan Ibrahimovic (SWEDEN). The 34year old quit international football on a low and his performance at #Euro2016 was nothing spectacular. The Swedish team as a whole only managed a point against the lowest ranked team in the group (Ireland) and lost to Belgium and Italy by a lone goal in both matches. Zlatan did nothing in my candid opinion, no goals as a striker, in fact we should just close the chapter. Next on our list has to be no other than Petr Cech. Well, as a goal keeper we can only blame him less as there was little or nothing he could do except failing to concede as much as 5goals. The team wasn't disgraced though, lost 1-0 to Spain then a 2-2 thrilling encounter against impressive Croatia before a shocking 2-0 defeat to dead boys Turkey. The Arsenal shot stopper led his nation to the quater-finals in the last edition with his fine exhibitions but this time, well... Some days are bad. Number 3 should be David Alaba of Bayern Munich. Some may say he has no world class player to support himself in the team then I wonder if the remaining 10 players who play along side him are made of clay or wood. There is an ever present Porgatez in that team as well as Dragovic with Nigerian born big striker Ruben Okote. His team lost two and drew one just like Ibrahimovic's Sweden and Cech's Czech. In a group that had evenly matched teams as Hungary, Iceland and Austria, many wouldn't expect them to bow out in such a disappointing fashion. The stats don't lie, check them out, Alaba was probably in “Alaba” all through the tournament cause the same player we know wasn't the one we saw in France and we shouldn't pardon Stoke City's big man Marko Arnautovic as well who many say was invisible the past few days. One player I respect and wonder why the football world hasn't noticed his exploits at Bayer Leverkusen is the man in my number 4 position for flops-n-travellers. The Turkish midfield magician was poor and slow as his contributions were minimal. “Hakan Calhanoglu” who we know to shoot from range and score outstanding free-kicks did nothing. Shall we make a case for him like some did for David Alaba by saying he didn't have world class support? I doubt, there was Barcelona's Arda Turan in that same midfield likewise one time Real Madrid player Nuri Sahin. Turkey bowed out of the competition with their heads high after defeating Czech 2-0 but in previous games they made opponents Spain look super and allowed Croatia get passed them with ease, the boys should be in istanbul by now I guess. Both Calhanoglu and Turan have been highly criticised in their home country, the former was even substituted after the first 45minutes in the last game while the latter has probably spent most of his spare time at “Mc Donalds” owing to his increase in body size and physical stature. Lastly is Sevilla's Konoplyanka of Ukriane. The winger did well according to some jaw dropping opinions I came across coming from experts of the beautiful game. Most football fans don't regard this man as a star, yes I agree but that's only when you're talking world football, he is actually a star in his home land. Ukraine lost 2-0 twice before losing 1-0 to 2012 co-hosts Poland in the final group game. For me, the most disappointing nation at this competition going home without a point nor a goal. The La Liga attacker didn't come to the party probably still swimming in the euphoria of his team's Europa League triumph, his runs were pointless and all attacking ideas were cut short most expecially in the first two games. Attacking partners like Zozulya and Yarmolenko didn't help matters also, the trio played like they were being forced and the hand writing as they say is on the wall, outcome, a place in the travellers plane. From me, its Bon Voyage to Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Petr Cech, David Alaba, Hakan Calhanoglu and Konoplyanka. Better days are coming, probably in 2018 (Russia) or # Euro2020 #itelmobile
Re: Euro Special Flops by Taich(m): 11:20pm On Jun 23, 2016
Please do edit your work for better viewing. Nice write up.
Re: Euro Special Flops by tonynwasokwu: 7:19am On Jun 27, 2016
Well composed, thanks, but why #ItelMobile? oooh you got the information on from your itel device, correct, I get it.

(1) (Reply)

Heartbreak: Cristiano Ronaldo Off Injured Early In EURO 2016 Final / PHOTOS: Obafemi Martins Visits Demba Ba In Hospital / Juventus: A Monopoly in the Serie A

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.