Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

2010 Accord Fuel Consumption - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2010 Accord Fuel Consumption (1575 Views)

How Does One Calculate Fuel Consumption Based On Distance Covered By A Vehicle?? / My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? / Photos: How To Calculate Fuel Consumption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2010 Accord Fuel Consumption by WebMania: 1:59pm On Jun 25, 2016
Dear nairalanders, please help.

I have a 2010 accord that I believe is consuming too much fuel.
A full tank (18gallons) does 220miles without a/c (i.e 12 mpg approx.)

The car was taking very long to start. U have to crank it for about 10seconds before it starts. But this has been fixed.
The Mass air flow (air flow meter) sensor was replaced, and the fuel injectors were also replaced to fix the issue with starting.

Recently, the check engine light came up again. Hooking up a scanner, I have a PO420 code (catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1).
But what is bothering me majorly is that the fuel trims are in the high negative (from -8 to -15), both short term and long term fuel trims.

Please what could be the issue.
Any help will be appreciated.
Re: 2010 Accord Fuel Consumption by honmusa(m): 2:24pm On Jun 25, 2016
WebMania:

The car was taking very long to start. U have to crank it for about 10seconds before it starts. But this has been fixed.
The Mass air flow (air flow meter) sensor was replaced, and the fuel injectors were also replaced to fix the issue with starting.

Recently, the check engine light came up again. Hooking up a scanner, I have a PO420 code (catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1).
But what is bothering me majorly is that the fuel trims are in the high negative (from -8 to -15), both short term and long term fuel trims.

Double digital negative value indicates you car is running rich i.e indication of high fuel consumption .Bocked catalyst issue can also contribute to high fuel consumption ,and since you already have a code pointing to Catalyst ,resolve the issue and confirm the fuel mileage again .
And if you need a competent professional to give you accurate resolution to all this issue.
call autologic @ 08061166316
Re: 2010 Accord Fuel Consumption by chuks1137(m): 4:33pm On Jun 27, 2016
Rev the engine up and see if the fuel trim readings falls back to - + 5....
Re: 2010 Accord Fuel Consumption by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:22pm On Jun 27, 2016
Re: 2010 Accord Fuel Consumption by WebMania: 4:30pm On Jul 04, 2016
chuks1137:
Rev the engine up and see if the fuel trim readings falls back to - + 5....

No i doesn't. It temporarily hits the +-5 range, but quickly goes back to double negative digits.
Presently getting it diagnosed. Would update with results. Thanks
Re: 2010 Accord Fuel Consumption by kingreign(m): 5:08pm On Jul 04, 2016
WebMania:

Replace offending cat. Simple.
Re: 2010 Accord Fuel Consumption by WebMania: 8:02pm On Jul 09, 2016
kingreign:

Replace offending cat. Simple.
Lol. Not as simple as that bro.
Took the car to Autologic as advised by honmusa, and I must say I was quite impressed with the scientific approach to auto diagnostics. The problem was pinpointed with accuracy. Most people will just do trial and error, and throw parts at it.

It turned out that the catalytic converter had been removed. Also, the actron scanner I personally used to read the fuel trim data earlier was also inaccurate. This was discovered with an OEM scanner at Autologic.

So, to fix issue, Vtec switch was replaced along with a used catalytic converter from Ladipo (I must say those Ladipo dealers are something else. Make sure they test stuff and fix in ur presence before paying, if u can. Or better still buy new if u can afford it).

The car's performance has noticeably improved. But I will observe mpg gains when next the tank is filled.

Kudos to honmusa. He's a great man.
Re: 2010 Accord Fuel Consumption by kingreign(m): 8:16pm On Jul 09, 2016
WebMania:

Lol. Not as simple as that bro.
Took the car to Autologic as advised by honmusa, and I must say I was quite impressed with the scientific approach to auto diagnostics. The problem was pinpointed with accuracy. Most people will just do trial and error, and throw parts at it.

It turned out that the catalytic converter had been removed. Also, the actron scanner I personally used to read the fuel trim data earlier was also inaccurate. This was discovered with an OEM scanner at Autologic.

So, to fix issue, Vtec switch was replaced along with a used catalytic converter from Ladipo (I must say those Ladipo dealers are something else. Make sure they test stuff and fix in ur presence before paying, if u can. Or better still buy new if u can afford it).

The car's performance has noticeably improved. But I will observe mpg gains when next the tank is filled.

Kudos to honmusa. He's a great man.

Mr, when you have a P0420 code which is what you posted, it clearly shows Cat below efficiency bank 1, what do you do? Run a Live scan, after which you delve into physical inspection of the cats which entails checking for Cat presence, absence or broken particles. Then replace with a good cat.

Did you replace cat or not?
Yes, what code were you trying to solve?
P0420.

V-tec codes are different from that of cat codes.

Take this arguement anywhere

2 Likes

Re: 2010 Accord Fuel Consumption by WebMania: 10:24pm On Jul 10, 2016
kingreign:

Mr, when you have a P0420 code which is what you posted, it clearly shows Cat below efficiency bank 1, what do you do? Run a Live scan, after which you delve into physical inspection of the cats which entails checking for Cat presence, absence or broken particles. Then replace with a good cat.
P0420.
smiley i appreciate your input bro. Ur intent was to help so I won't want to start a debate (though I would have loved to under a different circumstance)
The important thing is that the issue has been comprehensively fixed even along with other stuff, all thanks to honmusa and the autologic team.

Special thanks also to everyone that took time to reply. wink
Re: 2010 Accord Fuel Consumption by leuelliot(m): 7:46pm On Jul 11, 2016
kingreign:

P0420.

OP you owe this man one carton of star raddler

(1) (Reply)

How To Take A Fall Like A Boss On A Bike / What Tyre Size Is Best To Achieve Higher Ground Clearance? / Urgent Help: Will A Bad ABS Sensor Destroy The Gear Box?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.