Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,625 members, 7,955,297 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:48 PM

Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? (1138 Views)

Man Orders Boss To Sign Document In The Name Of Jesus Or He Dies / Jesus Or Mohammad, Which Would You Rather Follow? / Whose Report Will You Believe? Join Anglican Prayer Ministry (apm) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by Acos925(m): 7:26am On Jun 26, 2016
Bible gurus in the house.....kindly help to clarify this article I found in an online newspaper.

Christians assume Paul preached the same gospel as Jesus. But close scrutiny reveals otherwise. Paul never heard Jesus preach; he simply fabricated his own gospel and attributed it to Jesus. As a result, there are many contradictions between the doctrine of Jesus and that of Paul.

Different gospel
Jesus preaches the gospel of the kingdom of God: “Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and preaching the gospel of the kingdom.” (Matthew 4:23). But Paul preaches the gospel of the grace of God: “I count my life dear to myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus Christ, to testify fully the gospel of the grace of God.” (Acts 20:24).
Jesus is the Saviour in the gospel of the kingdom: “She shall bear a son, and you shall call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.” (Matthew 1:21). But Paul is the saviour in his gospel of grace. “Since I am the apostle of the nations, I glorify my ministry; if by any means I may provoke those who are my flesh to jealousy, and might save some of them.” (Romans 11:13-14).
Jesus says he will build his church himself: “I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18). But Paul says he is the wise “master builder” who lays the foundation of the church: “According to the grace of God which is given to me, as a wise master builder, I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it.” (1 Corinthians 3:10).
Jesus says he gave his life as a ransom for only some people: “The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:28). But Paul says Jesus gave his life as a ransom for everybody: “There is one mediator of God and of men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself a ransom for all.” (1 Timothy 2:5-6).

Different ministry
The principles Paul presents in his letters to the churches are at variance with those that Jesus taught during his three-year ministry. Since Paul’s teachings contradict those of Jesus, those who follow Paul cannot be Jesus’ disciples at the same time. Take note of the following divergences.
Jesus says he came to call sinners to repentance: “I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” (Matthew 9:13). But Paul says Jesus came to save sinners: “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.” (1 Timothy 1:15).
Jesus kept company with sinners: “As Jesus reclined in the house, behold, many tax-collectors and sinners came and were reclining with him and his disciples.” (Matthew 9:10). But Paul says Christians should not keep company with sinners: “In my other letter I told you not to have anything to do with immoral people.” (1 Corinthians 5:9). “We command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother who walks disorderly, and not after the teaching which he received from us.” (2 Thessalonians 3:6).
Jesus delivered sinners from Satan: “Jesus told the evil spirit, ‘Be quiet and come out of the man!’ The spirit shook him. Then it gave a loud shout and left.” (Mark 1:25). But Paul delivered sinners to Satan: “In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, with my spirit; also, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ; to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.” (1 Corinthians 5:4-5).

Different Perspective
Jesus says his sheep will hear his voice and follow him. They will not follow a stranger (John 10:27/5). The voice of Paul is the voice of a stranger. That is what is responsible for the following discrepancies.
Jesus says only the word he speaks is the word of God: “He who has no love for me does not keep my words; and the word which you are hearing is not my word but the Father's who sent me.” (John 14:24). But Paul says the word he speaks is the word of God: “For this cause we still give praise to God, that, when the word came to your ears through us, you took it, not as the word of man, but, as it truly is, the word of God, which has living power in you who have faith.” (1 Thessalonians 2:13).
Jesus says none of the Pharisees kept the law: “Did not Moses give you the law? Even so, not one of you keeps the law.” (John 7:19). But Paul says he kept all the laws of Moses as a Pharisee: “I kept all the righteousness of the law to the last detail.” (Philippians 3:6).
Jesus says the believer will be raised on the last day: “This is the will of the Father who sent me, that of all which he has given me I should lose nothing but should raise it up again at the last day. And this is the will of Him who sent me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes on him should have everlasting life. And I will raise him up at the last day. (John 6:39-40). But Paul says believers are already raised with Christ: “If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is sitting at the right hand of God.” (Colossians 3:1).

Dire Warnings
It is imperative that, as followers of Jesus, we must heed his warnings. A lot of the warnings of Jesus identify Paul as a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Take another look at the following.
Jesus says we should determine a prophet by his fruits: “Beware of false prophets who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. You shall know them by their fruits.” (Matthew 7:15-16). But Paul says we should determine a prophet by whether he agrees with whatever he says: “If anyone thinks to be a prophet, or a spiritual one, let him recognize the things I write to you, that they are a commandment of the Lord.” (1 Corinthians 14:37-38).
Jesus says we should beware of the doctrine of the Pharisees: “Be sure to guard against the dishonest teaching of the Pharisees! It is their way of fooling people.” (Luke 12:1). But Paul remained a Pharisee even after he became a Christian. When he observed that some of the council members were Sadducees and others Pharisees, he shouted: “I am a Pharisee and the son of a Pharisee. I am on trial simply because I believe that the dead will be raised to life." (Acts 23:6).
Jesus spoke of Pharisees who shut the kingdom of heaven against men: “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men. For you neither go in, nor do you allow those entering to go in.” (Matthew 23:13). Make sure Paul, the Pharisee, does not prevent you from entering the kingdom of heaven.

Source: www.vanguardngr.com/2016/06/whose-report-believe-2/
Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by Nobody: 7:31am On Jun 26, 2016
None
Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by malvisguy212: 7:39am On Jun 26, 2016
Acos925:
Bible gurus in the house.....kindly help to clarify this article I found in an online newspaper.

Christians assume Paul preached the same gospel as Jesus. But close scrutiny reveals otherwise. Paul never heard Jesus preach; he simply fabricated his own gospel and attributed it to Jesus. As a result, there are many contradictions between the doctrine of Jesus and that of Paul.

Different gospel
Jesus preaches the gospel of the kingdom of God: “Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and preaching the gospel of the kingdom.” (Matthew 4:23). But Paul preaches the gospel of the grace of God: “I count my life dear to myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus Christ, to testify fully the gospel of the grace of God.” (Acts 20:24).
Jesus is the Saviour in the gospel of the kingdom: “She shall bear a son, and you shall call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.” (Matthew 1:21). But Paul is the saviour in his gospel of grace. “Since I am the apostle of the nations, I glorify my ministry; if by any means I may provoke those who are my flesh to jealousy, and might save some of them.” (Romans 11:13-14).
Jesus says he will build his church himself: “I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18). But Paul says he is the wise “master builder” who lays the foundation of the church: “According to the grace of God which is given to me, as a wise master builder, I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it.” (1 Corinthians 3:10).
Jesus says he gave his life as a ransom for only some people: “The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:28). But Paul says Jesus gave his life as a ransom for everybody: “There is one mediator of God and of men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself a ransom for all.” (1 Timothy 2:5-6).

Different ministry
The principles Paul presents in his letters to the churches are at variance with those that Jesus taught during his three-year ministry. Since Paul’s teachings contradict those of Jesus, those who follow Paul cannot be Jesus’ disciples at the same time. Take note of the following divergences.
Jesus says he came to call sinners to repentance: “I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” (Matthew 9:13). But Paul says Jesus came to save sinners: “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.” (1 Timothy 1:15).
Jesus kept company with sinners: “As Jesus reclined in the house, behold, many tax-collectors and sinners came and were reclining with him and his disciples.” (Matthew 9:10). But Paul says Christians should not keep company with sinners: “In my other letter I told you not to have anything to do with immoral people.” (1 Corinthians 5:9). “We command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother who walks disorderly, and not after the teaching which he received from us.” (2 Thessalonians 3:6).
Jesus delivered sinners from Satan: “Jesus told the evil spirit, ‘Be quiet and come out of the man!’ The spirit shook him. Then it gave a loud shout and left.” (Mark 1:25). But Paul delivered sinners to Satan: “In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, with my spirit; also, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ; to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.” (1 Corinthians 5:4-5).

Different Perspective
Jesus says his sheep will hear his voice and follow him. They will not follow a stranger (John 10:27/5). The voice of Paul is the voice of a stranger. That is what is responsible for the following discrepancies.
Jesus says only the word he speaks is the word of God: “He who has no love for me does not keep my words; and the word which you are hearing is not my word but the Father's who sent me.” (John 14:24). But Paul says the word he speaks is the word of God: “For this cause we still give praise to God, that, when the word came to your ears through us, you took it, not as the word of man, but, as it truly is, the word of God, which has living power in you who have faith.” (1 Thessalonians 2:13).
Jesus says none of the Pharisees kept the law: “Did not Moses give you the law? Even so, not one of you keeps the law.” (John 7:19). But Paul says he kept all the laws of Moses as a Pharisee: “I kept all the righteousness of the law to the last detail.” (Philippians 3:6).
Jesus says the believer will be raised on the last day: “This is the will of the Father who sent me, that of all which he has given me I should lose nothing but should raise it up again at the last day. And this is the will of Him who sent me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes on him should have everlasting life. And I will raise him up at the last day. (John 6:39-40). But Paul says believers are already raised with Christ: “If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is sitting at the right hand of God.” (Colossians 3:1).

Dire Warnings
It is imperative that, as followers of Jesus, we must heed his warnings. A lot of the warnings of Jesus identify Paul as a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Take another look at the following.
Jesus says we should determine a prophet by his fruits: “Beware of false prophets who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. You shall know them by their fruits.” (Matthew 7:15-16). But Paul says we should determine a prophet by whether he agrees with whatever he says: “If anyone thinks to be a prophet, or a spiritual one, let him recognize the things I write to you, that they are a commandment of the Lord.” (1 Corinthians 14:37-38).
Jesus says we should beware of the doctrine of the Pharisees: “Be sure to guard against the dishonest teaching of the Pharisees! It is their way of fooling people.” (Luke 12:1). But Paul remained a Pharisee even after he became a Christian. When he observed that some of the council members were Sadducees and others Pharisees, he shouted: “I am a Pharisee and the son of a Pharisee. I am on trial simply because I believe that the dead will be raised to life." (Acts 23:6).
Jesus spoke of Pharisees who shut the kingdom of heaven against men: “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men. For you neither go in, nor do you allow those entering to go in.” (Matthew 23:13). Make sure Paul, the Pharisee, does not prevent you from entering the kingdom of heaven.

old topics, scholar8200 give a perfect reply here https://www.nairaland.com/3176944/did-paul-contradict-jesus-christ#46770594
Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by cokoduck: 7:44am On Jun 26, 2016
The question you people should you should ask your self is, who brought Paul into Christianity? Jesus said that he will use Paul as a special vessel to advance the gospel, didn't he? And Paul did not take anything for granted, did he? So Jehovah told Jesus and Jesus told Paul what to do and what to write, just like the Apostle John.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by WeNoGoDie(m): 8:03am On Jun 26, 2016
Jesus ministered by the holy spirit and Paul also ministered by the same holy spirit.

If Paul was contradicting Jesus why then did Jesus appear to him to urge him to continue. Acts 18:9 >
Then spoke the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not your peace:

Why then did God send him visions directing him to go and minister. Why then did the Holy Spirit descend in the prison while He and Silas sang and opened all the prison doors.

1 Like

Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by Acos925(m): 8:38am On Jun 26, 2016
malvisguy212:
old topics, scholar8200 give a perfect reply here https://www.nairaland.com/3176944/did-paul-contradict-jesus-christ#46770594

bros...thanks ehn.
Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by orisa37: 9:57am On Jun 26, 2016
This again is a recession to Religious Recidivism. Paul was just an Apostle of Christ after the likes of Peter, James and John. I'm like Paul, if not already superior to him in the Book of Life. Jesus Christ blessed us all in St. John's Gospel, Chapter 17. So we are all in Christ, The Faith, The Hope, God of Peace and God in Love. I and Paul, like Peter, James, John, The Popes in Rome and Alexandria, Adeboye, OBJ etc are all worshipping Christ, Our Lord and Saviour.
Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by blueAgent(m): 10:41am On Jun 27, 2016
Paul was never in against the teaching of Jesus. most perceived differences are due to wrong interpretation of paul's word and the Bible in general.

Paul’s teaching on law and grace
Paul couldn’t have been plainer about seeing
himself as echoing the teachings and practices of Christ. “Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ,”
he told the Corinthians (1 Corinthians 11:1). This statement allows no conclusion other than that Paul saw himself as perpetuating, not
contradicting, Christ’s doctrines.

In even stronger language, Paul wrote to the
Church in Galatia, “I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed” (Galatians 1:6-9).

In verses 8-9 Paul pronounces a curse on anyone who dared teach a message other than what Christ taught! In repeating this curse for
emphasis, Paul sternly warned against changes to Christ’s teaching.

Since Paul used such strong language, we would expect his teaching on law and grace to be the same as Christ’s, and this is what the Bible reflects. Paul deeply appreciated God’s grace and He respected God’s law.

A good example of Paul’s teaching is found in his letter to the Romans where He writes: “What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?” (Romans 6:1-2).

A few verses later Paul emphasizes this teaching
once more, saying, “For sin shall not have
dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace. What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not!” (verses 14-15).
Paul’s teaching on law and grace was clearly the same as Christ’s. Paul appreciated God’s grace and respected His law.

www. lifehopeandtruth.com/bible/law-and-grace/jesus-vs-paul/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by Kobojunkie: 11:54pm On Mar 31, 2021
Acos925:
Interesting piece !
Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:03am On Apr 01, 2021
Acos925:

It is like A Relay, The Lord Jesus Started the Race and Passed The Baton to the Disciples, Who themselves passed the Baton to Paul!

There is No Dispute here. The Lord did the first part of Restoring The True Law and made known the need to escape the Fury of God, Paul handled the other end of Anchoring and Tying The Teachings of Christ and the Gift of Mercy and Goodness (Grace) with The Law of God!
Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by MightySparrow: 10:20am On Apr 01, 2021
Your write - up shows ignorance of the subject matter. Jesus ended Law and Prophets. The commission of Paul is not same as Jesus'. Their target congregations have slight differences. Those of Jesus were mainly Jews, not even the entire Israeli, but Judah. These already were not unbelievers, their life, history, culture revolved around God. Though, the wandered away and became rebellious not unbelievers. The gentiles, people that were not Jews were getting introduction of God by Paul. It is like teaching a University students what atoms are to teaching secondary students. They don't have same foundation. Not you alone are in this vehicle of ignorance. Many Pastors and ministries can't differentiate between Law and Grace. Israel knew God by Law; Gentiles, by Grace.

The end result is the same, syllabuses different.
Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by Dtruthspeaker: 10:33am On Apr 01, 2021
MightySparrow:
Your write - up shows ignorance of the subject matter. Jesus ended Law and Prophets...

The end result is the same, syllabuses different.

"End" in Law means "Destination, Goal, Aim". Lawyer Paul new that

Therefore "End of Law and Prophets" means The Destination of The Law and Prophets, not 'death' by plain English interpretation!
Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by MightySparrow: 10:37am On Apr 01, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

"End" in Law means "Destination, Goal, Aim". Lawyer Paul new that

Therefore "End of Law and Prophets" means The Destination of The Law and Prophets, not 'death' by plain English interpretation!

Ok, thanks for correction. I hope the idea is still clear though.
Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by RepoMan007: 11:16am On Apr 01, 2021
The writer should learn to study the Bible by himself or herself.
For example in 1 Corinthians 3:11 Paul acknowledged Jesus as the foundation upon which he built. He never said he started his own works afresh or discarded Jesus' own.

1 Like

Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by Dtruthspeaker: 11:25am On Apr 01, 2021
MightySparrow:

Ok, thanks for correction. I hope the idea is still clear though.

It is very clear and accurate!
Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by Kobojunkie: 2:32pm On Apr 01, 2021
RepoMan007:
The writer should learn to study the Bible by himself or herself.
For example in 1 Corinthians 3:11 Paul acknowledged Jesus as the foundation upon which he built. He never said he started his own works afresh or discarded Jesus' own.
Actually, the article shows the writer did infact do some studying of his own since he was able to get past Paul's acknowledgment of Jesus Christ which you claim there to examine the other content of his letters. undecided

If you bothered to read the OP, you would find that he argues that it does not matter that in the letter we are told that Paul's foundation was on Jesus Christ rather that the entries in the letters seemed to deviate from the Truth laid down by Jesus Christ in many ways. undecided
Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by Kobojunkie: 8:10pm On Apr 01, 2021
cokoduck:
The question you people should you should ask your self is, who brought Paul into Christianity? Jesus said that he will use Paul as a special vessel to advance the gospel, didn't he? And Paul did not take anything for granted, did he? So Jehovah told Jesus and Jesus told Paul what to do and what to write, just like the Apostle John.
Well, the same Jesus Christ declared in His teachings(Truth of God) that He alone is the teacher as far as all those that belong to Him are concerned, echoing God's own word through His prophets.

Matthew 23 vs 8-12
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8. But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brothers.[c]
9. And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.
10. Neither be called instructors(teachers), for you have one instructor(Teacher), the Christ.
11. The greatest among you shall be your servant.
12. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
So, did Jesus Christ also mention, in his choice of Paul, that Paul would take His, God's, place as Teacher over those who belong to God, against the words He, God, gave through His Prophets, as well as in person through Jesus Christ? undecided
Re: Whose Report Do You Believe: Jesus Or That Of Paul??? by Kobojunkie: 5:04am On Mar 07
Acos925:
Dire Warnings
So, did the man who put together this piece ever abandon religion of Christianity entirely since this? Or was he just another religious nutjob looking for his moment of fame like all the rest? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Modern Faith Versus Faith Of Old 1 / Why There Is No God: Quick Responses To 10 Common Theist Arguments / HEAVEN : Perfect Relationships : One Another - John MacArthur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.