Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,281 members, 7,957,722 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 06:24 PM

Women Who Made History…today - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Women Who Made History…today (416 Views)

Women Who Made History…today / Women Who Made History…today / Women Who Made History…today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Women Who Made History…today by VirtueDigest: 2:20pm On Jun 27, 2016
Jun 27, The 1st woman's magazine "The Ladies' Mercury" was published in London.

Jun 27, Prudence Crandall, a white woman, was arrested for conducting an academy for black women in Canterbury, Conn. The academy was eventually closed.

Jun 27, May Irwin, US comedienne, singer (A Hot Time in the Old Town), was born.

Jun 27, Emma Goldman, Lithuanian born American anarchist, feminist and birth control advocate, was born. She was deported to the Soviet Union for inciting World War I draft riots in New York.

Jun 27, Antoinette Perry, actress and director, namesake of the "Tony" Awards, was born.

Jun 27, Audrey Christie, actress (Dorothy-Fair Exchange), was born in Chicago, Ill.

Jun 27, Julia Duffy, actress (Stephanie-Newhart, Baby Talk), was born in Minneapolis, Minn.

Jun 27, Isabelle Adjani, actress (Story of Adele H, Driver, Ishtar), was born in Paris.

Jun 27, Actress Julia Roberts and singer Lyle Lovett were wed in Marion, Ind. The marriage ended in divorce.

Jun 27, Gale Storm (b.1922 as Josephine Owaissa Cottle), singer and former film and TV star, died. Her wholesome appearance and perky personality made her one of early television's biggest stars on "My Little Margie" (1952-1955) and "The Gale Storm Show" (1956-1960). Her 1980 autobiography was titled "I Ain't Down Yet."

Jun 27, Iceland's PM Johanna Sigurdardottir (68) married her partner under a new law legalizing same-sex marriage in the country.

Jun 27, In Nigeria two girls were killed and three customs officers wounded from a bombing in the northeastern city of Maiduguri.

Jun 27, A Cambodia appeals court ordered the release of 13 women who were jailed for protesting being evicted from their homes without adequate compensation, in a case that had critics had highlighted as an example of injustice. On May 24 prison sentences were imposed on the 13 women.

Jun 27, The UN raised the alarm about the recent rape of 9 girls in eastern Congo. The youngest was 18 months old and 2 of the girls died.

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

$1 Million Networth Enterprise Breakout !!! / Happy Birth Day To Me.. / Cultural Festival Turns Bloody In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.