Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,458 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage (18877 Views)

Why It Is Not Safe To Drive With A Donut Spare Tyre That Comes With Most New Car / Some Mechanics Cannot Make Heaven - Read AIT's Presenter Ordeal With A Mechanic / 10 Things A Mechanic Doesn't Want You To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by hotspec(m): 8:11am On Jun 30, 2016
Category1:
it also happened to me when i cometh to the new York NY on Tue Dec I am so we have any questions about the other than that still in the way of the way to be able to see your email and I can you have to see you have any of this is not sure that still in the way to be in this is the way to be a lot of the other than that the way to be a few days to be in.

3 Likes

Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by TEEZERS: 9:28am On Jun 30, 2016
Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by nurey(m): 9:40am On Jun 30, 2016
The funny thing is that, this same thing got damaged in my car and the mechanic said I could drive the car like that but will only cause the shock absorber to get damaged quickly and I have always been of the opinion that the white man cannot fit something of no importance to a machine.

1 Like

Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by naijacarlovers: 9:44am On Jun 30, 2016
nurey:
The funny thing is that, this same thing got damaged in my car and the mechanic said I could drive the car like that but will only cause the shock absorber to get damaged quickly and I have always been of the opinion that the white man cannot fit something of no importance to a machine.

I hope you have fixed it. Or you want us to?
Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by Abbycite(m): 9:51am On Jun 30, 2016
Category1:
it also happened to me when i cometh to the new York NY on Tue Dec I am so we have any questions about the other than that still in the way of the way to be able to see your email and I can you have to see you have any of this is not sure that still in the way to be in this is the way to be a lot of the other than that the way to be a few days to be in.

Gawd.....pls tell ur neighbour to enroll u in an evening class

2 Likes

Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by Nobody: 9:53am On Jun 30, 2016
Category1:
Are you alright?

1 Like

Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by nurey(m): 9:56am On Jun 30, 2016
naijacarlovers:

I hope you have fixed it. Or you want us to?
I have fixed it, thanks
Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by Sagma(m): 10:06am On Jun 30, 2016
Category1:

wait, are you well?
cool
Category1:

wait, are you well?

1 Like

Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by Kollyk11(m): 11:40am On Jun 30, 2016
Category1:
igboooooooo!!!!!

1 Like

Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by yadnus1(m): 11:47am On Jun 30, 2016
I once had issues with the power window-by my side door,l couldn't operate the electrical window regulator. I took it to this auto electrician (rewire).l almost faint at the way he yanked opened the door panels,the most painful part was the weather sheeting-that flimsy foam-like covering under the door panel.He tore it away and when l complained he told me that it's just a mere covering and it serves no useful purpose there,(wahala eyin alakowe ti po ju)he concluded.l was furious and tongue-lashed him wella.To cut the long story short that door stops giving the usual smooth thud sound anytime l close it.lt started giving the unpleasant clattering sound(associated with danfo doors)and the car was just over a year old-bought it new.l almst sell it for that singular reason.
Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by bejick(m): 12:59pm On Jun 30, 2016
micklplus:
The annoying part is, some of these killer mechanics are not ready to learn new things that would improve their works

I was discussing a need to scan a car before just yanking off parts of a car and the mechanic said, "there's no scan anything. Scanning is a waste of time" . Just comot somethings, the car go work again"

The run wey I run comot no get part two. Lol.

They are also fond of using wrong parts. Remove five screws and return just 3. Lol.

Every problem of your car is tied to thermostat so, yank it off. Lol

scan will not see most mechanical fault that are not linked to the brain box of the car.
Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by professore(m): 1:37pm On Jun 30, 2016
Though a great level of blame should be laid on the doorsteps of the car owners who mostly know next to nothing about their cars and some.... care less. Yet forgetting that it's their lives and properties that are at stake.

This is something to think about
Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by 19naia(m): 2:13pm On Jun 30, 2016
That looks like a torsion Bar end point and the missing peice looks like it is used to keep the torsion bar from rotating while in place. If its a torsion bar, then its not as dangerous a situation, but in bad road situations of ups and downs, the car's frame would benefit from the torsion bar that was still in place and functioning. If the torsion bar did rotate in position, the loose ends could potentially catch on something in the suspension area and transfer stress which could add up over time to become damage.
Maybe i am wrong, but it looks like a loose end of a lower torsion bar used to add extra rigidity to the car frame. Cars can still function safely with the torsion bar entirely removed, but it will slightly alter the feel of the car on bad roads that contort the car.

In Nigeria, no matter what, its best to not allow mechanics to drop parts out even if it is of little risk to the cars safety and functional operation, because they will strip a car down to bare minimum for use on roads so bad that the car needs every factory installed feature to keep it strong and functional.

Some street racing drivers remove their torsion bars and other parts to reduce weight. Usually its no issue when racing a straight course. Other racers who drive sharp turns and bends in the roads, will add extra or enhanced torsion bars for tighter handling during sharp turns.

For Nigerian roads, its better mechanics add extra parts for strength rather than remove existing parts.
Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by 19naia(m): 2:31pm On Jun 30, 2016
yadnus1:
I once had issues with the power window-by my side door,l couldn't operate the electrical window regulator. I took it to this auto electrician (rewire).l almost faint at the way he yanked opened the door panels,the most painful part was the weather sheeting-that flimsy foam-like covering under the door panel.He tore it away and when l complained he told me that it's just a mere covering and it serves no useful purpose there,(wahala eyin alakowe ti po ju)he concluded.l was furious and tongue-lashed him wella.To cut the long story short that door stops giving the usual smooth thud sound anytime l close it.lt started giving the unpleasant clattering sound(associated with danfo doors)and the car was just over a year old-bought it new.l almst sell it for that singular reason.

The technology is so high, that a flimsy thin layer of foam-like covering is beyond the mechanic's sense to know that it has extensive sound dampening qualities to keep out road noise and can act as a moisture barrier when water gets in through the widow trough. Eventually water damage will become an issue on that car door if the window is ever down during the rain. Of course outside road noise will be increased and the door will not be as solid and padded together to cancel out clutter noise from all the moving parts and peices. He probably also removed or destroyed other small damper parts around the panel connector points.
Just a few small things here and there can add up to a chain reaction of problems down the road. Moisture entering can add up to rust and door area electrical problems which can lead to window rolling and door lock issues and if it is a bad short in the electricals there, it can slowly degrade the battery and even burn the wiring through the car if not causing the entire car to go up in flames. All that new noisy door action adds friction which over time will erode the contact points holding the door panel on, and that will cause it to become even noisier if not fall off completely ,years down the road.
One simple sheet of plastic or foam removed can lead to all of that in the wrong set of circumstances. They plan for all of that in extensive safety and quality tests.
Wetin concern dem for safety and quality in Naija?
When you see cars burned down on the side of the road, just remember how some small insignificant thing in the car could have stopped the chain reaction that led to the car fire, but the mechanic said it was ok to remove it a 2 years prior.

1 Like

Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by micklplus(m): 3:32pm On Jun 30, 2016
bejick:

scan will not see most mechanical fault that are not linked to the brain box of the car.

Some scanners.

I had scanned my former car at mayor's workshop. It scanned the entire car both mechanical and electrical. It even complained about the wrong tires that I used. For real.

Some scanners are that advanced
Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by bejick(m): 4:24pm On Jun 30, 2016
micklplus:

Some scanners.

I had scanned my former car at mayor's workshop. It scanned the entire car both mechanical and electrical. It even complained about the wrong tires that I used. For real.

Some scanners are that advanced

nice one
Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by hssl(m): 5:14pm On Jun 30, 2016
You are right my friend, Only God can save us.
Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by lilslip: 6:55pm On Jun 30, 2016
that's nt professional bt on d other hand,dont just buy a car because is look nice.u shud ask som question b4 buyin.maintenance u shud b a priority,I mean routine insted of corective maintenance.
Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by zsch: 3:00pm On Jul 05, 2016
tammie24:
Mechanics and tailors are the worst set of human beings on this earth

Bad mechanics and bad tailors are the worst.

My first car was a company Honda Odyssey. Terrible on fuel and with perpertual leg problem. The shock absorber was forever bad. My mechanic even had a standard poem to recite whenever he sees me

Oga lower arm bushing
Plus tie rod
Ball joint sef weeeaak
Na to change remain

True I wasn't footing the bills directly but I'd to wise up after a particular recital and repair and my ABS and TCP light came on and he told me to just "dey cruise am like that".

Tailors are just another story. I sent a great image of Dashiki patterned outfit to my obioma-Yomi. 2 days later he brought his finished masterpiece. I tried it on and was wondering why I looked like I was in a maternity gown.

Sometimes the blame also falls on us. Looking for the cheapest Kazeem or the cheapest tokunbo parts.
Re: How A Mechanic Made A Nigerian Woman Drive With A Missing Suspension Linkage by Alaka96(m): 6:14pm On Jan 14, 2023
Hello, I notice my Honda Crv 1999 don't have the front stabilizer bar and linkages.
any suggestions

(1) (2) (Reply)

Peugeot L750 R Hybrid Concept Revealed (photos) / Nissan Transformed A Pick-up Truck Into A World Class Mobile Space Observatory / I Am More Afraid Of Road Safety Than Police And Army.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.