Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,489 members, 7,958,488 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:33 PM

Potugal's Saviour, How Will Ricardo Quaresma Be Remembered? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Potugal's Saviour, How Will Ricardo Quaresma Be Remembered? (798 Views)

Leicester City Complete Signing Of Ricardo Pereira From FC Porto (Photos) / 10 Facts About Ricardo Kaka / How Pogba Went From Saviour To Complete Waste Of Money (10 Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Potugal's Saviour, How Will Ricardo Quaresma Be Remembered? by luciomoggi(m): 11:39am On Jun 30, 2016
By Ewah Chika.

Portugal's Saviour, How Will Ricardo Quaresma Be Remembered?

It was Zig Ziglar who once said that "Attitude is everything," and it seems the philosopher was referring to Besiktas and Portuguese international Ricardo Quaresma who has had a controversial and troubled career. To understand better how Quaresma has derailed, it is important to note that Quaresma was promoted to Sporting senior side in the 2001/2002 season aged 17 which was a year before the promotion of Christiano Ronaldo. In his debut season, while Ronaldo still played in the reserves, Quaresma scored five goals in 36 games in all competitions for Sporting. In 2003, Quaresma moved to Barcelona in a direct swap with Fabio Rochemback and €6 million and Ronaldo moving to Manchester United for €15 million.

At Barcelona, his attitude was his greatest undoing as the likes of Ronaldinho, Xavi and Deco were ranked ahead of him making his game time limited (22 games in all competitions and one goal). This did not go down well with the player who promised never play under Frank Rjikaard again.

"I didn't have patience at Barcelona. I couldn't bear being on the bench. It was an idiotic attitude . I made the wrong decisions at key moments in my career. I wanted everything quickly and this only harmed me," Quaresma revealed.

Jesuldo Ferreira then in charge of Porto signed the player from Barcelona in 2005 for €20 million. If anyone had any doubt about Quaresma, that would surely be proved wrong as he not only excelled in Porto but became one of the hottest midfielders in the world at the club. Quaresma won three Primeira Liga titles in Porto (2005-2008) which alerted the world of his talent. The reason for his exploits was that Ferreira gave him a free role high up the pitch with little or no defensive contribution which allowed him to play as the chief creator for the club. It wasn't surprising when Jose Mourinho's Inter Milan came calling signing him for €18.7 million in 2008. Upon signing him , Mourinho had this to say, " Quaresma: He likes kicking the ball with the outside of his foot, but if you ask me about him in a few months time we'll be talking about a different Quaresma." Unfortunately this did not go down as planned as Quaresma flopped in Inter also flopping in Chelsea in 2009 (four months loan playing just four games) before returning to Inter the following season . In total Quaresma made just 24 appearances in his two seasons at Inter.

"He is a great talent, but the joy I have at seeing the way Ibra works for and with the team , I do not yet see it with Quaresma," was a statement Mourinho made before selling the Portuguese to Besiktas in 2010. This did little to change the player who again clashed with coach Carlos Carvalhal after substituting him in a Europa League game with Atletico Madrid. Quaresma was released by the club in 2012 after refusing to extend his contract and spent a few months in Asia with Al Ahli, before returning to Porto after staying six months without a club. At Porto, again he found his magic although this was too little too late after having missed the FIFA World Cup with Portugal thrice (2006, 2010 and 2014).

32 years old now, Quaresma appears new born and ashamed of his past . "Of course , talent is not enough to have a great talent. I'm 31 but look at Giggs , Zannetti and Pirlo. I want the same ," he said publicly after he was recalled to the Seleccao in October last year. Last season, Quaresma turned in one of his best form in Turkey, leading Besiktas to the Turkish league title as he scored four goals and provided six assists in 26 league games. At the present Euro Tournament, Quaresma has been the star of the team , starting the first game against Iceland on the bench but started in subsequent games even scoring the extra time goal in the second round against Croatia that qualified his team for the quarter-final against Poland.

Once hailed as the heir to Luis Figo, Quaresma derailed and might not be able to fulfil that promise but judging from his form at the Euro's he will leave with his name on the hearts of the Seleccao fans for years to come.

http://mailtelegraph..co.ke/2016/06/saviour-of-portugal-how-will-ricardo.html?m=1

Re: Potugal's Saviour, How Will Ricardo Quaresma Be Remembered? by 0955eb027(m): 12:14pm On Jun 30, 2016
Attitude is truly his greatest undoing. Quaresma started out as one of the most promising talent in his time. Even Ronaldo was no match for him, but as the saying goes; 'The end justifies the means'. Fabio Rochembak, that one ended up in Boro. What i dont understand is how they all end up not living up to expectations.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Much Do U Knw Futball?lookin At Dis Photo, How Many Footballers Here / Mourinho Films Advert With £100m Manchester United New Star Paul Pogba (photos) / Rio 2016: Brazil Wins The 2016 Olympic Gold Medal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.