Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! (4156 Views)

Lady Meets Snake While Coming Down From Her Husband's Car, Then This Happened / Strange Car Seen On Badagry, Lagos Road This Morning (photos) / Is It Ok To Drive This Car As A Lady(photo)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by lonelydora: 11:34pm On Jul 02, 2016
Buy OEM ball joints and it won't happen to you. It's not a case of changing every 6 months as someone said above. It has never happened to me.

1 Like

Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:42am On Jul 03, 2016
billy187:
This episode would have been exponentially scarier if you were cruising on the highway.

Are there any warning signs that precede this?

none grin
Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by udy4real(m): 8:44am On Jul 03, 2016
Pls oga how do I fix d charcoal cannister on a Chrysler Pacifica 2006?thanks
Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by Piyke: 9:56pm On Jul 03, 2016
There are some parts I only do brand new OEM, ball joints are one of them.
This is my 8 year owning a 2003 Accord. When over 2 years ago I had the classic rusted hinge sound from worn ball joints I went in and changed them(the right was worn, but it's good practice to replace as a pair) to an available chinko ball joint and immediately placed an order for OEM ones.
As soon as the OEM came in I slapped them in. Its been more than 2 years now. Alhtough the OEM cost me 30k at the time, it's far better than using substandard ball joints and swapping them every 6months.
Working on ones suspension that often, in this environment may even increase the chances of something going wrong.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by seedsower(m): 12:08am On Jul 08, 2016
May never own a Honda in my lifetime for same reason.
Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by Nobody: 12:59am On Jul 08, 2016
The question I want to ask is was this issue rectified on 2008 honda accord aka( evil spirit) and above.
Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jul 08, 2016
It is only in Nigeria that we here of Honda bow joints breaking off, hmm I believe a faulty bow joint will show signs of wear via free play in the wheels and clunking noises when turning the wheels , but owners prefer to ignore these warning signs only to scream and wail when the joint gives way.

The problem is similar to all car makes using front wheel drive, if the bowjoint is worn, it needs to replaced, you dont wait for it to pull off before replacing.

I think this is one disadvantage of the power steering, you dont get real feed back from your wheels and you re tempted to over-steer.
Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by Lexusgs430: 6:22am On Jul 09, 2016
eaglechild:
How come I've never heard of recalls for this. Other countries seem to drive their Honda without similar problems.

Is it peculiar to Honda in our environment?

The simple reason it does not happen in other countries, can be traced down to rigorous MOT test carried out yearly on all vehicles, older than 3 years.
Before this K Leg would happen, their would be certain plays experienced, if such play is excessive, the vehicle fails it's MOT test.
Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by Lexusgs430: 6:24am On Jul 09, 2016
dumo1:
The question I want to ask is was this issue rectified on 2008 honda accord aka( evil spirit) and above.

The answer to your question is, ensure your vehicle is adequately maintained and any odd noise or strange clunks are investigated and repaired if necessary.
Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by Lexusgs430: 6:26am On Jul 09, 2016
seedsower:
May never own a Honda in my lifetime for same reason.

You are depriving yourself of the pleasures of driving a well built motor.

1 Like

Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by Lexusgs430: 6:29am On Jul 09, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
after a head gasket change and an engine tune up, I was going for an early morning test drive before handing over vehicle to client, was going probably 40km/hr, smooth roads, no clucking or "kpom sounds" and all of a sudden I heard a sudden thud!!! Lost steering control and felt the car lean to the right shocked slamed the brakes and this is what I saw when I came down from the vehicle.

I hope the owner took you out for a well deserved lunch and handed you a Brown envelope afterwards?
Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:30am On Jul 09, 2016
Lexusgs430:

I hope the owner took you out for a well deserved lunch and handed you a Brown envelope afterwards?

In this Buhari Economy? Well he was nice, and paid for the ball joint. Car will require a thorough suspension.

P.S he is one of us wink
Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by Lexusgs430: 7:37am On Jul 09, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

In this Buhari Economy? Well he was nice, and paid for the ball joint. Car will require a thorough suspension.

P.S he is one of us wink

One of us he is!!! Oya identify yourself o. If Oga GAZZUZZ no fix that k leg, we for see another thread. 'How GAZZUZZ turned my straight leg Honda,into K leg '

2 Likes

Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by disloman(m): 11:50am On Jul 09, 2016
LeJeun3:

The beauty of Honda cars.....

The foolishness of the owner.
Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by disloman(m): 12:04pm On Jul 09, 2016
I've seen cars which are not honda having such issue.You can only experience such when you don't give much attention to your car or the substandard parts been used.Whenever you heard any strange noise,call your mechanic and check.Don't prolong it.What might have happened here is that the owner might had been hearing the noise and later stopped.Bothered not to check it.
Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by diportivo: 2:33pm On Jul 09, 2016
dumo1:

Which issue??

Is ball joint pulling off an issue with accords?
Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by adanny01(m): 3:28pm On Jul 10, 2016
dumo1:

It was not rectified. That's because it was never a problem.

That issue mostly happens in Nigeria so Honda is not aware of the problem. If fact, the 2003-7 accord is a smoother car to the 2008 accord.

The only issue to rectify is to advice Honda users to buy only oem ball joints. Any chinko ball joint is bound to fail this way.

My 2003 accord is 4 yrs so far and have not replaced that ball joint yet. When i need to, i will either buy toks or order oem.

1 Like

Re: Went On A Test Drive This Morning And This Happened!! by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:24pm On Jul 10, 2016
adanny01:

It was not rectified. That's because it was never a problem.

That issue mostly happens in Nigeria so Honda is not aware of the problem. If fact, the 2003-7 accord is a smoother car to the 2008 accord.

The only issue to rectify is to advice Honda users to buy only oem ball joints. Any chinko ball joint is bound to fail this way.

My 2003 accord is 4 yrs so far and have not replaced that ball joint yet. When i need to, i will either buy toks or order oem.

I thought I was the only one that noticed.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Olist A Reliable Site To Buy Cars / The Ten Coolest Car Keys / How Do I Use My Aux To Play Music Honda 2003

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.