Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. (11366 Views)

Are They Any Art Lovers In The House? Do You Appreciate African?nigerian Art / What Are Your Pet Peeves, Phobias And Things That Irritate You? / Snake Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet snakes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by Seun(m): 1:20pm On Apr 04, 2005
This thread is for those of us who own or have owned pet cats (or kittens) at one time or the other.

Well, my name is Seun and I want to talk about a female cat named 'Blacky'. Blacky was bought at Ilesha, Osun state together with another male cat we named 'Browny', and she was with us for more than 6 years. (Browny left us after about a yar, as male cats often do).

Every 3 or 4 months, Blacky would go into heat. She would climb to the top of a bus in our compound, or the fence, and start [I]crying[/I]. Then we would start seeing strange cats, presumably male, in our compound. Next thing you know, Blacky would be pregnant! Blacky usually give birth to at least 3 kittens per litter.

When I got my first dog, Blacky refused to accept him. Jack was a gentle dog, so Blacky would hiss at him, scratch him, spit at him (out of fear)! However, the kittens she gave birth to after we got Jack were used to Jack and would play with him.

When she developed an infection under her mouth, my dad decided that it was time to get rid of her. There was no attempt to get her to a Vet doctor; she was sold to a butcher. Till this day I am angry with my dad for making that decision because Blacky was part of our lives for more than 6 years.

angry angry angry

6 Likes

Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by Seun(m): 8:56pm On Apr 04, 2005
This is the second time I am making the mistake of replacing Ra's post with mine instead of simply replying to Ra's post.

Ra: I am so sorry, but I've lost your post again. Please forgive me for making the same mistake twice. embarassed sad cry What follows is my reply to your post in which you described how you 'dislike cats, probably due to their scratching and spitting nature.

Ra: but 6 years!!! You need therapy.
In captivity, cats typically live 15 to 20 years, though the oldest known cat lived to age 36. Domestic cats live longer if they are not permitted to go outdoors (thus avoiding fights and accidents) and if they are spayed or neutered (source)

Ra: I absolutely hate cats. I don't know if it's due to the funny stories we heard as kids about cats or because I hate their scratching and spitting nature.
Cats handling requires more skill than dog handlin: they are not as social as dogs. Blacky, for example, was very aggressive and easily scared. She spent the first 3 or 4 days in our home hidden in a crevice under a building in our compound! Having handled that cat, I can understand your hatred for cats. The trick is to never, ever let the cat get scared of you. Cats are not as forgiving as dogs.

Ra: Now what's with this butcher and your pets? Are you suggesting the butcher buys them, kills them and seasons them for public consumption? Because if that's the case, I'm calling Police and animal right for you and your dad right nowangry
Unfortunately for pet-lovers, there are no animal rights in Nigeria. We are still working on our human rights!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by WesleyanA(f): 3:44am On Aug 14, 2005
seun said: "Unfortunately for pet-lovers, there are no animal rights in Nigeria.  We are still working on our human rights!"

that's really funny. cheesy and true  . . . unfortunately. sad

2 Likes

Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by beyunce(f): 9:22pm On Apr 10, 2006
i totally agree with u its really funny.
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by janetgurl: 6:15am On Aug 03, 2006
lol yea
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by iice(f): 11:27am On Aug 05, 2006
Luv cats but i dont own one undecided
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by Horus(m): 10:13am On Mar 28, 2007

Our friend, the cat

The cat, from the Carnivora order, is an outstanding meat eater. They are excellently designed for capturing and killing live prey. Cats are intelligent, alert and powerfully muscled. They are known to be quite finicky having an “air of sophistication” about them and are independent.

The domesticated cat (Felis domesticus) was first domesticated in ancient Kemet, Egypt. They were essential in keeping the Egyptian storehouses free of pesky rodents. The Egyptians also worshipped a cat-headed deity called Sekhmet, also worshipped by the ancient Greeks and Romans . . .

Source: http://factology.com/archive/20070117.htm

Sekhmet,a cat-headed deity
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by iice(f): 3:18am On Mar 29, 2007
Should i guess why your nick is Horus? grin
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by busygirl(f): 6:39pm On Apr 02, 2007
i hate cats ;d
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by tega78(f): 1:44am On Apr 11, 2007
I currently have a female cat and a tortoise

I grew up with 7b alsatians, a monkey , and a hutch of rabbits, all in lagos!!
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by nikitareal(f): 9:08pm On Jun 04, 2007
I love cats.I had a cat wn i was ten.my mummy's friend gave it to me though it was staying with her.Bella was d name of d cat.i used to go there every sundays.i didn't go 4 a while n wn i visited her,she had an injury on her leg,she fought with a duck.unfortunately,d duck was stronger than my cat.later on,she gave birth to 3 kittens.that was d last thing i heard.i wld luv 2 get anoda cat bt nt unda my parent's roof.
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by nikitareal(f): 9:09pm On Jun 04, 2007
I love cats.I had a cat wn i was ten.my mummy's friend gave it to me though it was staying with her.Bella was d name of d cat.i used to go there every sundays.i didn't go 4 a while n wn i visited her,she had an injury on her leg,she fought with a duck.unfortunately,d duck was stronger than my cat.later on,she gave birth to 3 kittens.that was d last thing i heard.i wld luv 2 get anoda cat bt nt unda my parent's roof.
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by nikitareal(f): 9:11pm On Jun 04, 2007
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by nikitareal(f): 9:14pm On Jun 04, 2007
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by VOR(m): 12:29am On Jul 06, 2007
I too am a pussy lover but I have never owned a cat. wink
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by showbobo(m): 2:49am On Jan 27, 2010
Would love to get one someday. . . . I love pets
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by revolt(m): 12:44pm On Jan 27, 2010
God i love cats so much they are sweet red nosed soft pawed creatures best part is they're so clean and cuddly. Poster for your info they DONT spit. They just make a sound like that when they're aggressively scared.
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by iice(f): 4:41pm On Jan 27, 2010
Got a cat abt mid year, last year. A stray. The thing sef can break things cheesy

I named him Oliver but we variate it sometimes to Olivier cheesy
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by platinumnk(f): 10:32pm On Feb 22, 2010
Had a cat named Tuna Fish . . she died embarassed

btw I thought cats were taboo in nigeria
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by consultmartins(m): 10:48pm On Feb 22, 2010
I can't really tell the relevance of catS to human life. I can understand dogs but not cats.

Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by platinumnk(f): 11:06pm On Feb 22, 2010
consultmartins:

I can't really tell the relevance of catS to human life. I can understand dogs but not cats.

cats are more anti social but they are relevant.
my cat walked me to my bus stop everymorning, and waited for me when i came back

Always rubbing on my legs when shes hungry or when she wants me to brush her belly embarassed
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by afloo: 4:33pm On Oct 09, 2010
Please can anybody tell me where I can get breeds of cats in lagos? i need one.
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by okoji: 7:42am On Nov 04, 2011
Hello everyone, I realise this is an old thread but i need a cat ASAP preferably a white fluffy one but anyone would do for now. Please anyone with useful info should drop a line below. Thanks.
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by jellyface(m): 10:32pm On Nov 07, 2011
My pet cat is called chaw chaw,my cat is a proud female cat from a rich family. Chaw chaw is well connected with top cats in d government.
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by Nobody: 6:58am On Nov 10, 2011
I love cat! Don't have a pic though. Will post one of my fav when next I visit my fav Chinese eatery in Harlem.
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by temmy84(m): 12:08am On Apr 13, 2012
Н̲̣̣̣̥†̥̥, Ǻ♍ a dog breeder but lately, people have been calling ♍ƺ for cats like british shorthair, savannah, maltese cats. Íڪ dere anybody who knows where ℓ̊ can get diff breeds of cats. ℓ̊ wud appreciate I̶̲̥̅̊t if U̶̲̥̅̊ can help ♍ƺ out. Cheers.
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by revolt(m): 11:11pm On Apr 14, 2012
I grew up wif cats atleast slept wth a cat on my bed till I grew up!! Cats r sooooo SWeeeeeeet! I love the large whiskered black furry species!oh lord!!! Did someone say red nosed!! Bush ppl say cats r witches and bla bla n they spit? Lousy folklores!! I worship these clean sweet agile playful purry creatures
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by iquo1yahoocom: 10:20am On Sep 05, 2013
Hello Cat lovers in Niger, my cat Jack & Jill just put to birth: 4 lovely kittens. They are a combination of theie father Jack- blacky and their mother Jill. Any one interested?
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by Emmyk(m): 11:40am On Sep 05, 2013
I dont like cats undecided

very scary guys undecided.

Worst thing is seeinq 'em greenish eyes in the dark undecided

Really old thread,...
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by UjSizzle(f): 11:52am On Sep 05, 2013
I'll name her Duchess if I get around to buying one
Re: Cat Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet cats. by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 05, 2013
nice thread. My cat's name is joseph and its prolly the laziest pet ive ever owned n i bet y'all hv never hrd of an over weight animal . Well joseph grin but i still luv it smiley.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do You Know A Man That Really Loves You? / List Of Top 10 Most Expensive Secondary Schools In Nigeria / What Do Y'all Think About These 4 Girls?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.