Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,127 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

The Revelation. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Revelation. (623 Views)

The Revelation / Etisalat Flash Fiction - Vote For My Story "Revelation" / Talking Drums (the Revelation) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Revelation. by RemenZack(f): 6:26am On Jul 03, 2016
Genesis:
Here comes the sun, as my Papa and Mama had a really terrible fight. Alcohol stench everywhere, vomit strewn on the floor and walls, and the ambience ambivalent to my young soul.

Papa was never a drunken man and he didn't talk inebriated at that very moment, as he yelled so loudly at Mama. It was Doris, my older sister who was drunk, again. She had been caught this time with Papa and he wasn't pleased with any of it at all.

Exodus:
Doris and I had each other for siblings. Papa worked as a too civil of a servant and Mama fried fried meals for hungry men and children.

Income was abundant for everyone, until Papa suddenly stopped working and talking, all together. He grew morose, gloomy and had a ferret on his face for a beard.

Mama continued selling fried foods, until a fire engulfed from her cooking place, killing her co-worker, Madam Agnes.

I and Doris couldn't make it to school at the same time. Doris had to finish School first and I had to come second. Simple!

Leviticus:
And then came the conundrum and tumultuous list of rules from Papa. After our family became a big sack of "nothing", Papa made a list, telling each and everyone of us to simply, "Obey without Complaining!".

Mama grew a mute mouth on her angry face. She never complained or smiled, for that matter. I was forced to do hefty chores at home, just to make Papa happy and comfortable.

Doris was never involved in the "List", as she was having a good time in school. I believed she would finish school quicker and rescue me from what I was facing at home.

Numbers:
Doris' days ought to be numbered in school, I thought. She has been writing home every day, telling me how good things were. She told me she even got herself a new pair of sandals, even without any assistance from Papa or Mama. I was proud, just like she was.

I couldn't wait to see Doris and her new sandals, but she never wrote in her letters, that she had someone new in her life, someone who could afford anything she desperately needed.

Deuteronomy:
We skipped out on this, since Doris never wrote home for a while.

Joshua and Ruth:
These were my two friends. I could tell them anything, since we swore to never tell a secret, except the guardians of the gates of heaven and hell told us to do so.

Joshua looked and acted like a girl and Ruth looked and acted like a boy.

I trusted them so dearly and loved them too. Joshua's mother was a teacher in a small municipal college, but his father was a drunk-useless-fellow, always name-calling Joshua and threatening to hit him. But Joshua always lied, telling us apocryphal stories about him and his father, when he was a child.

Ruth didn't have a living father but her mother and grandmother were her eyes, since she couldn't see too well. Ruth never told us stories, since she had confessed all of her stories were probably too sad or gruesome for us to enjoy.

Judges:
Papa got a new job at The Judges Mattress Company. He could work as a clerk there and earn a few pennies, just to make our family fortunate and happy again. I wrote to Doris, telling her the good news but she still never replied.

Samuel & Samuel:
Mama got a job too, at the Samuel & Samuel Sewing Training Centre, where she could teach young and unfortunate girls how to sew and make a living out of it.

Mama cried the first day she started working there and swore she would never go back. When I asked her why, she simply said, "It was a Revelation!".

Revelation:
It was all a revelation to my eyes, when Doris came back home, with no sandals or even a new dress to call her own. She was drunk, always acting like a nuisance to everyone and making Papa so mad. Lately, she has been making Mama cry too hard.

Apparently, the school Doris claimed to have been a student for numbers of years never existed. She made it up. She made Papa waste his life savings to make her something, when she was obviously nothing.

Doris made Mama think too deeply, earning her a distracted mind, causing the fire years ago, which made Madam Agnes nothing but a corpse.

She also made me narrate this painful tale to the whole wide world. Thankfully, I'm currently writing from the hall of wisdom, located in one of the greatest universities in the world.

Someday, I will be something better than Doris. But for now, this is my revelation.

1 Like

Re: The Revelation. by SeraSera(m): 6:32am On Jul 03, 2016
Great story. I liked your writing style and simple language. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: The Revelation. by RemenZack(f): 6:38am On Jul 03, 2016
SeraSera:
Great story. I liked your writing style and simple language. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
Re: The Revelation. by Osjaay(f): 10:28am On Jul 10, 2016
o boy u try o.nicely arranged and beautifully delivered ise lo se(na work u do)

1 Like

Re: The Revelation. by RemenZack(f): 1:38pm On Jul 11, 2016
Osjaay:
o boy u tried o.nicely arranged and beautifully delivered
Thanks a lot. It wasn't easy tbh. I had to use an actual Bible to keep the books and names in sync.
Thanks for commenting, and even reading.

(1) (Reply)

Professional Writing Of Assignments, Projects, Speeches Etc. Call 08134343680. / Musings Of A Heartbroken Girl Part 2 / 10 Of The Weirdest Deaths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.