Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,790 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

Hunger: Nigerians Now Stealing Food, Beans, Pots Of Soup To Survive - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Hunger: Nigerians Now Stealing Food, Beans, Pots Of Soup To Survive (883 Views)

Woman Finds Salamander In Her Pot Of Soup (Photos) / Rice Cooker,Deep Fryer And 2Big Size Pots. Reduced Price 5K,8K and 10K..SOLD / What Kind Of Cooking Pots Would You Rather Buy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hunger: Nigerians Now Stealing Food, Beans, Pots Of Soup To Survive by Omooba77: 9:42am On Jul 06, 2016
ABUJA —A member of the House of Representatives, Uzoma Nkem-Abonta, has raised the alarm that if nothing was done to curtail the hardship Nigerians currently face, there was the possibility of a recurrence of kwashiorkor similar to that experienced during the Nigeria/Biafra civil war as a result of starvation.
He also advised President Muhammadu Buhari to look for economic experts, irrespective of their political affiliations, to tackle the economic crisis facing the nation.
Abonta, who represents Ukwa Federal Constituency of Abia State on the platform of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, and Chairman, House Committee on Public Petitions, in an interview in Abuja, expressed dismay with the level of hardship experienced by Nigerians.
He said: “Within the one year plus, we have witnessed starvation unknown to Nigeria. In the East it is as if it is the era of Nigeria/Biafra civil war. There is no food, no importation and you can’t ban what you can’t get.
“Of obvious fact, the rich cannot sleep again because the poor are awake and the poor cannot sleep because they are hungry. So for the rich to sleep, we must provide food for the poor.
“There is acute starvation in Nigeria as evidenced by peoples cry and reaction, they are stealing food, beans to survive. APC promised a lot of change, they promised heaven on earth, these were mere political rhetorics, they have denied some.
“But I also think that APC has failed on their promises, all they need do is to apologise to the masses and tell them the way forward and the way forward is for us to get economic experts without political considerations, to see how we can manage our economy.
“I am in sympathy with President Muhammadu Buhari, there is little he can do now, he may be doing his best in these areas but is his best enough for us, no? He is surrounded by persons who do not share his aspirations, who do not know the wherewithal and how to get it done.
“One of the things we must do because of the misfortune in the oil sector, which is the main stay of the economy, is to find a way to depart from oil economy. Agriculture we cannot afford to joke with, we must go back to pure and practical agriculture now.
“The earlier we concentrate on real issues than fighting imaginary enemies, the better. I will advise President Buhari to try and mediate peace with all contending groups on insurgency, militancy and others. He should try and have a fatherly peace like what the late President Umaru Yar’Adua did, that we may have the stability to farm and also improve the oil sector.
“We must be careful in banning things, we must set our priority right. Let the agric sector give us the road map, the blue print. The President should develop the political will for the feed yourself policy. If we have true fiscal federalism, governors will be able to enforce agriculture, local government chairmen should be able to enforce it.
“As I am speaking to you, most local governments do not have any farm at all, they also depend on allocation, but if this allocation is not forthcoming, they will fend for themselves. Therefore, in restructuring Nigeria, fiscal federalism is needed. Above all, we need peace and stability to forge ahead.
“I want to advise Buhari to follow the course of peace, amount invested in getting peace could be a waste because no nation will develop in crisis.
“He fought hard and begged God and laboured to be President, therefore he should be able to justify his aspirations to be President. Now, he is President and he needs the cooperation of every body and we are willing to give him that cooperation.
“He should also give a lending hand in that cooperation, he should reciprocate in that cooperation. I give my full support to President Buhari, he should also seek ideas for nobody has the monopoly of knowledge.
“Even if a good idea is coming from his political opponents, he should take it and also remain where he is, we are all working for one good Nigeria, no matter the party you are coming from.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/kwashiorkor-imminent-nigeria-rep/
Re: Hunger: Nigerians Now Stealing Food, Beans, Pots Of Soup To Survive by donbenedict(m): 9:43am On Jul 06, 2016
Hmmm..
Re: Hunger: Nigerians Now Stealing Food, Beans, Pots Of Soup To Survive by SeverusSnape(m): 9:46am On Jul 06, 2016
Sai Buhari grin
Re: Hunger: Nigerians Now Stealing Food, Beans, Pots Of Soup To Survive by kodded(m): 9:51am On Jul 06, 2016
Re: Hunger: Nigerians Now Stealing Food, Beans, Pots Of Soup To Survive by nnachukz(m): 10:00am On Jul 06, 2016
It is not surprising to me. Go back and read the administration of Buhari 1984. You will understand what I mean. He didn't achieve anything except his WAI (War Against Indiscipline) program which was widely believed to be targeted at some people leaving others to go free. Leading Fela to sing his famous music in which he sang "Driver commit crime, Buhari jail conductor" when Buhari put Shehu Shagari on house arrest but jailed his Deputy despite not being found guilty of any crime. The picture below was one of his many failed promises during his military administration.

Re: Hunger: Nigerians Now Stealing Food, Beans, Pots Of Soup To Survive by Omooba77: 10:18am On Jul 06, 2016
God will have mercy on Nigeria,people are now stealing pot of amala ,rice and yam all over Osun,Kwara .We need God help
Re: Hunger: Nigerians Now Stealing Food, Beans, Pots Of Soup To Survive by Omooba77: 10:31am On Jul 06, 2016
nnachukz:
It is not surprising to me. Go back and read the administration of Buhari 1984. You will understand what I mean. He didn't achieve anything except his WAI (War Against Indiscipline) program which was widely believed to be targeted at some people leaving others to go free. Leading Fela to sing his famous music in which he sang "Driver commit crime, Buhari jail conductor" when Buhari put Shehu Shagari on house arrest but jailed his Deputy despite not being found guilty of any crime.

History is just repeating itself...Shikena
Re: Hunger: Nigerians Now Stealing Food, Beans, Pots Of Soup To Survive by Omooba77: 11:33am On Jul 06, 2016
Ilu le kosowo lode,okurin kigbe,obirin kigbe......

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Local Rice Rocks Rice Market / This Is What Happens When The Recession Is Biting A Man Harder / Man Silently Praying Friend Says "No, Thank You" To Meal Of Jollof Rice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.