Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,506 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. (5345 Views)

Which Of These Phones Is Better / Twitter Purges Dormant Accounts: Celebrities Losts Millions Of Followers / Mother Of All Phones Is Back With The New Updated Version Of Nokia 3310 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by Klare(f): 3:47am On Jul 09, 2016
princey83:

you mean china phones. lol
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by Klare(f): 3:48am On Jul 09, 2016
princ ey83:

you mean china phones. lol
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by power900: 7:23am On Jul 09, 2016
And whole else will these malware's attack than game freaks, me when dey jeje dey nairaland with my own where e want pass enter(unless Seun na malware
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by Adewole69: 7:48am On Jul 09, 2016
ogunsinamayowa:
Up to 10 million Android smartphones have been infected by malware that generates fake clicks for adverts, say security researchers.
The software is also surreptitiously installing apps and spying on the browsing habits of victims.
The malware is currently making about $300,000 (£232,000) a month for its creators, suggests research.
The majority of phones that have been compromised by the malicious software are in China.
Remote control
A spike in the number of phones infected by the malware was noticed separately by security companies Checkpoint and Lookout. The malware family is called Shedun by Lookout but Hummingbad by Checkpoint
In a blogpost, Checkpoint said it had obtained access to the command-and-control servers that oversee infected phones which revealed that Hummingbad was now on about 10 million devices. China, India, the Philippines and Indonesia top the list of nations with most phones infected by the software.
Hummingbad is a type of malware known as a rootkit that inserts itself deep inside a phone's operating system to help it avoid detection and to give its controllers total control over the handset.
The ability to control phones remotely has been used to click on ads to make them seem more popular than they actually are. The access has also been used to install fake versions of popular apps or spread programs the gang has been paid to promote.
"It can remain persistent even if the user performs a factory reset," wrote Kristy Edwards from Lookout in a blogpost. "It uses its root privileges to install additional apps on to the device, further increasing ad revenue for the authors and defeating uninstall attempts."
Ms Edwards said the recent spike in infections could be driven by the gang behind the malware adding more functions or using their access to phones for different purposes.
The malware gets installed on handsets by exploiting loopholes in older versions of the Android operating system known as KitKat and JellyBean. The latest version of Android is known as Marshmallow.
In a statement, Google said: ""We've long been aware of this evolving family of malware and we're constantly improving our systems that detect it. We actively block installations of infected apps to keep users and their information safe."
Google released the latest security update for Android this month and it tackled more than 108 separate vulnerabilities in the operating system. So far this year, security updates for Android have closed more than 270 bugs.

Source: BBC

The time is now, Golden link youth empowerment program!!! Get rich faster, join our youth empowement forum on facebook and see a positive difference in 3 days. http:///AcZHp0
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by InfomejobsN: 8:55am On Jul 09, 2016
worlexy:
pls try and remember the name of the anti virus so that I can instal it too, malware don finish my phone, the weirdest thing is that I've restored factory my phone countless time, only for the malware to pop up again as soon as I'm connected to the internet. Someone should help me abeg

Download Stubborn Trojan Killer from play store and scan, it will wipe every out
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by Nobody: 9:24am On Jul 09, 2016
ogunsinamayowa:

You mean i can still get my files back?

Yeah
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by worlexy(m): 9:54am On Jul 09, 2016
InfomejobsN:

Download Stubborn Trojan Killer from play store and scan, it will wipe every out
Thank you
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by MrHackmed1(m): 10:30am On Jul 09, 2016
I one time received an OTA software update on my Samsung Galaxy A3 while connected to my WiFi, I have rejected it several times but later gave up n install it, and the next thing I noticed on my phone was unauthorized installations occurred. I immediately backed up my media files and initiated a factory reset, after restoring my media files and contacts(thanks to google contact wink), I got the OTA update notification again embarassed, this time I already set USB debugging to not allowing installation of 3rd party apps. And that was it, anytime it pops up, I reject it, after 2 weeks, it stopped popping up cheesy. SO I guess that was the f***king malware angry
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by Nobody: 11:27am On Jul 09, 2016
MasterEmmanu3l:

From the malware as well? I'm still on it sef.

U can recover ur files sha using icare recovery pro
Pls I need a working key for this software
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jul 09, 2016
burticious:
Pls I need a working key for this software
You can search for it online. I'm not sure mine can work with yours....once my PC comes up, I'll send it to u
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by Naughtylyn: 12:19pm On Jul 09, 2016
For the comprehensive book on Mobile phones and Tablets Repairs everyone is talking about, click the link below and get it here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/9789534116?keywords=mobile%20phones%20and%20tablets%20repairs&pc_redir=T1&qid=1463153220&sr=8-8
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 09, 2016
MasterEmmanu3l:

You can search for it online. I'm not sure mine can work with yours....once my PC comes up, I'll send it to u
Pls send it when you have it.. Thanks..
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jul 09, 2016
burticious:

Pls send it when you have it.. Thanks..

9EAN079J4115E5ML56AND6OB64K7EMMZ
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by ogunsinamayowa(m): 4:34pm On Jul 09, 2016
MasterEmmanu3l:

Yeah

How can i do it?
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 09, 2016
ogunsinamayowa:

How can i do it?

Just get the app, its self-explanatory.

Normal scan guarantees 80-90% recovery, deep scan recovery( For more than once....formatted devices and co) guarantees a lesser percentage.
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by tomquest: 6:57pm On Jul 09, 2016
This is one of the reasons why android is a no-no for me. I've stuck to Apple's iOS since 2010, notwithstanding that's it's not really a "fluid" choice in terms of connectivity with other OSes. I've been using iPhones without "antivirus" and have never had issues with malware/virus or their likes. Truth is if you do sensitive information-related stuffs on your phone (such as internet banking) stay away from android. Personally my phone is my bank, safe, diary, and lots more which I can't afford to be compromised by some self-installing malwares.

iOS is peace of mind.

1 Like

Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by FantasyHub: 9:46pm On Jul 09, 2016
ritababe:

scan with antivirus many times, did factory reset, it will delete but if I on my connection it will come back, I was frustrated someone told me to flash the phone but I didn't give in, so I download one antivirus forgot the name, it has blue symbol, I scan for malware and delete it once.

The name is CM SECURITY, don't know how to describe what dis app does. It's a beast in android security.
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by Nobody: 12:35am On Jul 10, 2016
tomquest:
This is one of the reasons why android is a no-no for me. I've stuck to Apple's iOS since 2010, notwithstanding that's it's not really a "fluid" choice in terms of connectivity with other OSes. I've been using iPhones without "antivirus" and have never had issues with malware/virus or their likes. Truth is if you do sensitive information-related stuffs on your phone (such as internet banking) stay away from android. Personally my phone is my bank, safe, diary, and lots more which I can't afford to be compromised by some self-installing malwares.

iOS is peace of mind.

i have been using android since 2009, and i have never hsf issued with malware, virus, trojan e.t.c I heavily use my banking software's and payment platforms on my phone too; they have never been compromised.
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by tomquest: 3:41am On Jul 10, 2016
princey83:

i have been using android since 2009, and i have never hsf issued with malware, virus, trojan e.t.c I heavily use my banking software's and payment platforms on my phone too; they have never been compromised.

Count yourself lucky. Perhaps you are using the most updated (high end) ones. I've had some android user friends complain of "strange apps installing themselves.
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by starlightRR(m): 4:54am On Jul 10, 2016
tomquest:

Count yourself lucky. Perhaps you are using the most updated (high end) ones. I've had some android user friends complain of "strange apps installing themselves.

Most peeps don't read the permission they grant apps that why they install virus, even with that one can manually change the permissions to "ask first"
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by jiggar(m): 10:28am On Jul 10, 2016
starlightRR:

Most peeps don't read the permission they grant apps that why they install virus, even with that one can manually change the permissions to "ask first"

"Taps mic and clears throat"

You are absolutely correct. Most times we tend not to read the permission of most apps, myself included.

However, fortunately, I have never experienced such malware issues before, maybe because, I use different custom roms.

"Drops mic and leaves"
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by PlayerOne: 1:45pm On Jul 10, 2016
Was a victim yesterday . at first I notice some of my pix not showing again.. Check my notification and I saw damaged SD card format. I format the memory card .. It refuse at first I did again .. This time around my phone resetted by its self. Everything wipe off.. Had to re download some important apps
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by ucee64(m): 3:41pm On Jul 10, 2016
MasterEmmanu3l:
Yup. I got hit trying to update modern combat. Luckily,it only got my mcard- All apps get installed on my sdCard. 29gb worth of data gone. I'm trying to fix it now sha. Downloaded Malwarebyte on my system.still scanning- 45,703 files so far sad
shey u mean malware byte for computer system hw strong is it.is it better than avast?
Re: Malware Hits Millions Of Android Phones. Is Your Phone Affected? Mine Was. by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jul 14, 2016
ucee64:
shey u mean malware byte for computer system hw strong is it.is it better than avast?

Both on system and phone. I don't know how powerful it is compared to Avast.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Your Download Speed On Your Phone? / Tecno Pouvoir 4 And Tecno Pouvoir 4 Pro / Innjoo Leap 3 Discussion Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.