Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,475 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping (36292 Views)

The True State Of Lagos Light Rail Marina Axis - Photos / Lagos Light Rail Has Finally Landed !!! / Abuja-kaduna Rail Line Ready For Commercial Use In July – Amaechi(PHOTO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by Reference(m): 8:55am On Jul 09, 2016
dont8:
And what causes the bad roads in the first if not too much articulated vehicles trasporting goods every now and then which the train could accomodate at a go and dicongest the road. It's a welcome development.

I sincerely hope this is not an all purpose rail network. Everywhere in the world the intra state movement of goods is done by trucking. Goods by rail only pays off when the distances are large because the turn around time for goods trains in loading and offloading is long, far longer than you just getting on and off a train. Goods and passengers do not mix at all. If you travel by air you will discover that 70 percent of the time you spend at the terminal or on the tarmac is spent related to luggage check-in, verification, sorting, loading and offloading. I often travel light so I know this.

It will be interesting to see what is permitted on these new trains as it affects our socio-cultural behaviour and socio-economic activities. Will it bear any semblance to the existing BRT system or will it be relaxed to accomodate traders, hawkers, artisans who typically commute to work with their articles of trade which they will ordinarily place in the trunk of a taxi or danfo or on the roof of a keke.....who knows.

3 Likes

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by 1miccza: 8:58am On Jul 09, 2016
Nice move but how about the rail lines train stops and maintenance??
Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by kay29000(m): 9:01am On Jul 09, 2016
anonimi:

10 enrolling how many out of what population?
What is the % compared to the need in the entire state?

Look at you still looking for excuses to justify the misinformation you typed earlier. Please answer me, how many Universities are in Lagos? 'And what is the % compared to the need in the entire state?' Yea, right. undecided SMH!

9 Likes

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by kay29000(m): 9:04am On Jul 09, 2016
goryorhal:

dont mind him .. he likes running his mouth like tap....

na bad thing the guy eyes dey see..

lol! Now he is saying 10 Technical colleges in a state is too small. SMH!
Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by goryorhal(m): 9:06am On Jul 09, 2016
kay29000:

lol! Now he is saying 10 Technical colleges in a state is too small. SMH!

u dey mind the guy.. e just like to dey confuse himself...

3 Likes

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by dont8(m): 9:09am On Jul 09, 2016
Reference:

I sincerely hope this is not an all purpose rail network. Everywhere in the world the intra state movement of goods is done by trucking. Goods by rail only pays off when the distances are large because the turn around time for goods trains in loading and offloading is long, far longer than you just getting on and off a train. Goods and passengers do not mix at all. If you travel by air you will discover that 70 percent of the time you spend at the terminal or on the tarmac is spent related to luggage check-in, verification, sorting, loading and offloading. I often travel light so I know this.

It will be interesting to see what is permitted on these new trains as it affects our socio-cultural behaviour and socio-economic activities. Will it bear any semblance to the existing BRT system or will it be relaxed to accomodate traders, hawkers, artisans who typically commute to work with their articles of trade which they will ordinarily pla e in the trunk of a taxi or danfo or on the roof of a keke.....who knows.
You're right about everything you wrote especially, the loading/offloading time, I know it's going to be for light loads on board but at the same time, it'll definitely decongest the amount of vehicles on the road thereby reducing milleage. Concerning your fear about hawking and all that, surely this will be tailored after BRT where hawking or preaching is not permitted.

1 Like

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by Reference(m): 9:14am On Jul 09, 2016
1miccza:
Nice move but how about the rail lines train stops and maintenance??

These sort of systems operate on the principle of preventive maintenance. Each component has a scheduled date of replacement, a set lifespan and if religiously followed will never have to ground the entire system. Typically what they do is to carry these out at night when the line is closed. That four, five or six hour window is usually enough but this requires a very professional set up and culture, dedicated facilities and infrastructure and an unending supply of parts, machine tools amd technology. It is not easy but you must rise to the challenge if you must enjoy the benefits of a safe, reliable system.

I think the first part to getting this culture in a monopoly such as this is to remove the business from every shield of government immunity. That is the train service must be open to legal action. They must be held accountable, liable for the quality of their services as per regularity, safety, economy and improvements. These are the things that killed Nigeria Airways, the things that bedevil the BRT system, no one is accountable beyond the limits of public opinion. So if for instance I have sold my car to invest in transit tickets for the next five years what do I do if the train master decides to open at 9am when he promised 4 am at inception and then is here today, nowhere tomorrow because governor ABC decides to throw a party across the rail tracks.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by piagetskinner(m): 9:14am On Jul 09, 2016
68816419:
Same as Tianjin Metro Line 3, but i feel Lagos is not ready for this as it is a misplace priority

How can u say its a misplaced priority..do u know how much revenue this will generate and the number of jobs it will create?

2 Likes

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by Reference(m): 9:25am On Jul 09, 2016
dont8:
You're right about the loading/offloading time, I know it's going to be for light loads on board but at the same time, it'll definitely decongest the amount of vehicles on the road thereby reducing milleage.

Yeah, but how do you define light loads, how will the system be managed. Typically in aviation this is determined at check-in. They will tell you what cannot go in the overhead bin and what goes into the cargo-hold. You will be informed about what will not even be admitted on an aircraft at all. These are the activities that take up huge amounts of time, the haggling. But metro trains donot have the time for that. They are not booked in advance and operate on a first come, first serve basis. The checking comes at the turnstiles by metro officials either before or after ticketing. As a matter of fact some of the turnstiles are built to ensure you cannot gain access with baggage. Will this be implemented here. Then the question of what you can bring on board, a couple of shopping bags from 'game/shoprite' or a dripping carton of fish from 'Oshodi market'. These are socio-cultural questions but are serious enough to affect the operation of the system.

grin You know this country na. If you allow Mama Ronke to bring on board a dripping carton of croaker or you don't allow Abdullahi to bring his smoking kettle of 'shai' and Chinedu a greasy half engine block of Nissan Pathfinder 2003, guess what, the metro will be in court for....marginalization.

(pls. bear with the stereotyping)...

4 Likes

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by Nobody: 9:28am On Jul 09, 2016
anonimi:

Target completion date has been shifting like quick sand on a slope.

U can read more abt d project here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos_Rail_Mass_Transit

Clearly according to ur quotes d Canadian company was trying to stiff us for more money dn necessary. Good thing they realized their mistake & switched to d Chinese. All major construction projects go through timeline challenges. By d time they start d red line, it will be wt clearer eyes.

3 Likes

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 09, 2016
Reference:

Yeah, but how do you define light loads, how will the system be managed. Typically in aviation this is determined at check-in. They will tell you what cannot go in the overhead bin and what goes into the cargo-hold. You will be informed about what will not even be admitted on an aircraft at all. These are the activities that take up huge amounts of time, the haggling. But metro trains donot have the time for that. They are not booked in advance and operate on a first come, first serve basis. The checking comes at the turnstiles by metro officials either before or after ticketing. As a matter of fact some of the turnstiles are built to ensure you cannot gain access with baggage. Will this be implemented here. Then the question of what you can bring on board, a couple of shopping bags from 'game/shoprite' or a dripping carton of fish from 'Oshodi market'. These are socio-cultural questions but are serious enough to affect the operation of the system.

You really think lAMATA haven't thought about all these. The trains will be managed by private concession, not d govt. it will have a profit focus. Dts d only thing dt has made MM2 still neat compared to murtala Mohammed international airport.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by Revolva(m): 9:40am On Jul 09, 2016
Dem de imporrt the trains dem never even finish the roads omo I don taya for nigeria
Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by Reference(m): 9:40am On Jul 09, 2016
janellemonae:

You really think lAMATA haven't thought about all these. The trains will be managed by private concession, not d govt. it will have a profit focus. Dts d only thing dt has made MM2 still neat compared to murtala Mohammed international airport.

Then they will have to make rules, strict rules, which will make it decent but not popular and not absolutely, ultimately profitable. Just like the airlines and air travel, it may become semi-elitist. These are the interesting facts I often ponder when culture and technology clashes, the results are mixed with either side winning some and losing some battles.

1 Like

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by Reference(m): 9:50am On Jul 09, 2016
Revolva:
Dem de imporrt the trains dem never even finish the roads omo I don taya for nigeria

The trains will ultimately make the road network easier to complete and maintain. One of the reasons why infrastructure in the developed world appears to last longer is that it is used lighter because there are alternatives. Abuja central has some of the best roads on earth. The quality is world standard but roads in areas like Wuse are already cracking up just becuase of overuse, huge traffic, huge wear and they have not reached their max lifespan. When you are poor even your clothes appear to wear out twice as fast simply because your wardrobe is bare. Our roads are not able to breathe from the constant pounding day and night. The metro will take a lot of people off the roads and it will not only give the roads time to be cleaned and maintained but more importantly time to be BUILT properly. Not the one or two weeks you often see or the work in rain and flood because it is causing 'go slow'.

1 Like

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by iamdapsyj(m): 9:58am On Jul 09, 2016
68816419:
Same as Tianjin Metro Line 3, but i feel Lagos is not ready for this as it is a misplace priority

please can you explain what you mean by Lagos is not ready for this and a misplaced priority.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 09, 2016
OmoAjowa7:
OP how can you call this misplaced priority?

Do you know how many jobs will be created from this blue line alone?

That he wrote "misplace" instead of "misplaced" leads me to think he is an Okada rider, Keke Marwa operator or Danfo driver worried that his time causing chaos in Lagos is coming to an end! People like that don't want modernization and progress because their way is backwardness and chaos and cannot thrive in functioning orderly societies.

3 Likes

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by refreshrate: 10:07am On Jul 09, 2016
Question id like answered is would this be a lagos state funded project where the revenue generated goes back to the state coffers

Or

Like recently executed projects (lekki till plaza & lekki ikoyi bridge) the state finances it and ojuyobo plunders with one story to hoodwink citizens of how one company did one thing to bring the master plan to life so for the next 30yrs they will be the ones collecting the revenue?

...just asking
Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by Nobody: 10:28am On Jul 09, 2016
refreshrate:
Question id like answered is would this be a lagos state funded project where the revenue generated goes back to the state coffers

Or

Like recently executed projects (lekki till plaza & lekki ikoyi bridge) the state finances it and ojuyobo plunders with one story to hoodwink citizens of how one company did one thing to bring the master plan to life so for the next 30yrs they will be the ones collecting the revenue?

...just asking

They will both make money just like they do on d lekki toll & Ikoyi bridge. The govt will service its debts. Even if it's a minimal amount of d profit. The concessionaire has to manage d assets & pay staff.

Obviously d govt will generate more taxes indirectly if there's a more productive society because of better transport.

2 Likes

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by ifeanyi83(m): 10:30am On Jul 09, 2016
And Lagos is just about to open up even more....
Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by Orikinla(m): 10:32am On Jul 09, 2016
OmoAjowa7:

Don't mind the OP's misplaced opinion. grin
Celebrity Banquet For VIP Screening Of "Lagos In Motion" Tourist Documentary - Celebrities - Nigeria
https://www.nairaland.com/3215035/celebrity-banquet-vip-screening-lagos
Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by refreshrate: 10:39am On Jul 09, 2016
janellemonae:

They will both make money just like they do on d lekki toll & Ikoyi bridge. The govt will service its debts. Even if it's a minimal amount of d profit. The concessionaire has to manage d assets & pay staff.

Obviously d govt will generate more taxes indirectly if there's a more productive society because of better transport.

You've entirely missed the question sir.

Who is the consessionaire?

What was the source of funding (actual)

Who is collecting refunds?

Case study: lekki epe expressway, lekki ikoyi bridge.

Leave tax issue for now.
Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by cosade(m): 10:53am On Jul 09, 2016
68816419:

This part of the reasons why some sections of the country want to develop at its pace. Your "misplaced priority" would have been done in the early 80s by the visionary Baba Jakande when he was the Governor of Lagos State, if not cancelled by GMB administration.

https://www.naij.com/404383-cancelling-metroline-was-a-huge-mistake-jakande.html

http://community.vanguardngr.com/m/discussion?id=4565467%3ATopic%3A143303
Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by wristbangle: 10:56am On Jul 09, 2016
68816419:

December this year hopefully first phase

I don't think it's a misplaced priority bro. Remember Lagos is the 8th most populated mega city in this world and this form of development will cushion the transport issue.

1 Like

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 09, 2016
refreshrate:

You've entirely missed the question sir.

Who is the consessionaire?

What was the source of funding (actual)

Who is collecting refunds?

Case study: lekki epe expressway, lekki ikoyi bridge.

Leave tax issue for now.

The 1st source of funding was d world bank. Dt has bn highly documented. The 2nd source of funding is d Chinese govt. that has also bn documented. You can google d amounts Lagos state govt will end up owing for these infrastructure development.

As per d concessionaire, they are usually reputable companies dt do a good job. So far wt the lekki toll, mm2 & Ikoyi bridge. I'm not into all these conspiracy theories about tinubus companies being d concessionaire. Tinubu started lAMATA & mapped out this vision. I would be surprised if he wasn't lobbied by private individuals to get d concessionairing contracts. Smart business minded pple will always want to network wt pple like dt & get contracts. So I won't argue dt one wt u. Maybe they even give bribes to get d initial contract. If we go by obj-Halliburton & iboris issues. And then, maybe not.

But good companies bid for these things & it's usually agreed with the financiers - who also investigate d credibility of the company's management in dt field - they're not stupid. They don't want to throw their money in a basket. If its tinubus own personal company (which I doubt), then I can understand ur concern but I assure u it's not some quack company wt no experienced directors in managing d rail sector.
Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by hotwax: 11:09am On Jul 09, 2016
Enemy of progress full everywhere ...awon omo erosion village .atoko wabaleje. Keep hating your village will never amount to Lagos. I just pray Nigeria breaks...let all of them go back to their gullies

4 Likes

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by 1miccza: 11:20am On Jul 09, 2016
Reference:

These sort of systems operate on the principle of preventive maintenance. Each component has a scheduled date of replacement, a set lifespan and if religiously followed will never have to ground the entire system. Typically what they do is to carry these out at night when the line is closed. That four, five or six hour window is usually enough but this requires a very professional set up and culture, dedicated facilities and infrastructure and an unending supply of parts, machine tools amd technology. It is not easy but you must rise to the challenge if you must enjoy the benefits of a safe, reliable system.

I think the first part to getting this culture in a monopoly such as this is to remove the business from every shield of government immunity. That is the train service must be open to legal action. They must be held accountable, liable for the quality of their services as per regularity, safety, economy and improvements. These are the things that killed Nigeria Airways, the things that bedevil the BRT system, no one is accountable beyond the limits of public opinion. So if for instance I have sold my car to invest in transit tickets for the next five years what do I do if the train master decides to open at 9am when he promised 4 am at inception and then is here today, nowhere tomorrow because governor ABC decides to throw a party across the rail tracks.

Thanks bro for such an enlightenment,this is my obvious fear,can we handle this??I was thinking before the shipping our rail lines and paths would have been thoroughly replaced and maintained not those rusty and scrappy looking ones in Oshodi,Oko oba , iddo and the others...

1 Like

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by 1miccza: 11:22am On Jul 09, 2016
hotwax:
Enemy of progress full everywhere ...awon omo erosion village .atoko wabaleje. Keep hating your village will never amount to Lagos. I just pray Nigeria breaks...let all of them go back to their gullies

Bros can't you just analyse without being insultive??This is a faceless forum remember??You might just be doing that to a serving government official

2 Likes

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by seguno2: 11:58am On Jul 09, 2016
ifeanyi83:
And Lagos is just about to open up even more....

Metro rail that should have been completed 30 years ago if Buhari had not cancelled the project.
Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by Khez: 12:07pm On Jul 09, 2016
i doubt if December date is feasible as they haven't even covered alakija ,talk more of trade fair down

but its a good thing ...
68816419:

1 Like

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by caracas: 12:14pm On Jul 09, 2016
ki02020:
Lagos takes the lead cool
The project existed first in enugu then port Harcourt
Lagos is Still a jjc.
Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by pheesayor(m): 12:50pm On Jul 09, 2016
I keep telling everyone, December is NOT feasible, except they want to run from mile 2 to national theatre only (or marina if the bridge is sped up). The first phase is meant to run through Okoko but the rails have not gone beyond mile 2

68816419:

Re: EMU Trains For Lagos Light Rail Blue Line Ready For Shipping by buoye1(m): 1:14pm On Jul 09, 2016
OmoAjowa7:

Hes myopic i guess

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UK Wants To Deport 5yr Old Nigerian Boy Rafeeq Atanda, Mum Pleads / VACATION: Recent AirTrip Pictures to The State Of Maryland / Ikeja After Rainfall (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.