Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One (1293 Views)

Argentina coach, Sampaoli Reveals What Messi Will Do Against Super Eagles / Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 And The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One / PICTURES: England And Russia Fans Clashed In France (euro 2016), Turns Bloody. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by DaVinciii(m): 1:32pm On Jul 09, 2016
There is no doubt that Ronaldo is a phenomenon.The Portuguese is a man whose extraordinary dedication and ambition mean he is always seeki to improve and to do even better. And it is that desire that has seen him win countless trophies, both collectively and individually - including three Ballons d'Or.

Ronaldo is honest when asked about his objectives. "I want to become the best player ever," he has said on a number of occasions. The problem with that, however, is that he is not even the finest footballer of his era. Because that honour belongs to Messi.

Cristiano can win the Euros, he can claim another Ballon d'Or or perhaps more, but even if he were to win the World Cup with Portugal, he would still not be a better player than the Argentine attacker. Messi is simply superior on every level.

Ronaldo scores loads of goals? Yes, he does. But Messi has still scored more in the time the two have played in Spain. And although Cristiano can boast some spectacular efforts among those strikes, most are via a single touch, a thunderous drive, a prodigious leap - especially these days.

Pep Guardiola was once asked to describe Messi in words and said: "You can't - you have to watch him." And it is true. Look at Ronaldo's goals. Impressed? Great. Now look at Messi's goals. Then look back at Cristiano's after that. Still as impressed as you were before?

The same can be said for the assists. The Portuguese produces his fair share, but the assist he claimed against Wales on Wednesday was typical - a mishit shot redirected into the net by Nani. Ronaldo shoots so often that many of his efforts fail to hit the target and some find a team-mate in a better position. That's logical. Not all of them are that way, of course, but again his assists are fewer, less spectacular and usually far less difficult technically than Messi's.That's why stats don't tell the whole story.

Messi is much more than numbers and it is not the same thing to beat five players and score in a spectacular solo run than it is to hammer home from close range at the far post - even if both are ultimately worth the same. And it's the same with assists: a mesmerising run past three or four players before setting up a team-mate or a wonderful curling delivery from deep to take out several defenders is so much more difficult than a mere cross, a single pass or even a mishit shot.

But even if you measure the two in numbers, Messi is ahead. And in terms of trophies, he is well clear.

While Ronaldo has claimed 17 titles at Manchester United and Real Madrid (nine and eight respectively), the Argentine has won 28 with Barcelona (including two trebles) and he is over two years younger than the Portuguese .

At international level, neither has achieved what many believe they should have. Messi, after helping Argentina to an Under-20 World Cup and an Olympic gold medal (with the U-23 team), has failed to add a title with the senior side - losing four finals (three Copas America and one World Cup) and calling time on his Argentina career after the latest disappointment in the Copa America Centenario when he missed a penalty in the shootout loss to Chile.

Ronaldo, meanwhile, lost out in the final at Euro 2004, fell again in the semi-finals of the 2006 World Cup and also in the last four at Euro 2012. He has come close, but was disappointing along with his team-mates in group-stage exit at Brazil 2014 and Sunday's showpiece in Paris is quite probably his last real shot at a major honour withhis country.

But even if he wins it and produces a match-winning performance at the Stade de France, that will not make him a finer footballer than Messi. The Argentine creates more than Cristiano, scores greater goals, is less selfish, dribbles better, possesses superior technique and passing, and is also on top when it comes to free-kicks now. Victory for Portugal in the Euros won't change any of that.

Football is all about opinions, of course, but it is fair to say that the only ones who believe Ronaldo to be better than Messi are either Portuguese, Real Madrid fans or (some) Manchester United supporters. Everyone else, including neutrals, thinks Messi is the number one. And that's because he is - whatever happens on Sunday.

Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by Emodeee: 1:35pm On Jul 09, 2016
Who is now fighting with you now?

2 Likes

Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by kikies(m): 1:36pm On Jul 09, 2016
Emodeee:
Who is now fighting with you now?
I jst tire
Who did d rating sef
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by Lily4star(f): 1:42pm On Jul 09, 2016
kikies:

I jst tire
Who did d rating sef

Op is a Messi obsessed fan, continuuu

2 Likes

Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by kikies(m): 1:45pm On Jul 09, 2016
Lily4star:

Op is a Messi obsessed fan, continuuu

No mind am,he doesn't know I'm also obssed with CR7.......no homo doe

2 Likes

Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by DaVinciii(m): 1:47pm On Jul 09, 2016
lol yes o [quote author=Lily4star post=47366140]

Op is a Messi obsessed fan, continuuu[
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by Lily4star(f): 1:51pm On Jul 09, 2016
kikies:

No mind am,he doesn't know I'm also obssed with CR7.......no homo doe

The guy just purposely omitted a whole lot, For Pele and Maradona to be regarded as who they are today they achieved success with country and club, if Ronaldo wins the Euro he is ahead of Messi, if Messi like make e dribble the whole field plus post join score for La Liga matches,

Ronaldo has been a success in 3 different clubs, tell Messi to try ply his trade elsewhere, but I am not disputing the fact he is a great player tho

3 Likes

Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by kikies(m): 1:55pm On Jul 09, 2016
Lily4star:

The guy just purposely omitted a whole lot, For Pele and Maradona to be regarded as who they are today they achieved success with country and club, if Ronaldo wins the Euro he is ahead of Messi, if Messi like make e dribble the whole field plus post join score for La Liga matches,

Ronaldo has been a success in 3 different clubs, tell Messi to try ply his trade elsewhere, but I am not disputing the fact he is a great player tho

No lie,u r obsessed with CR too,Bt in ur case u go like kiss am lol
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by Lily4star(f): 1:56pm On Jul 09, 2016
kikies:

No lie,u r obsessed with CR too,Bt in ur case u go like kiss am lol

I go do pass kiss sef, I go create special hole for my body just for am
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by tizblink: 2:01pm On Jul 09, 2016
Lily4star:

Ogà o

Anyway since it's from goal.com I'm not disappointed

1 Like

Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by kikies(m): 2:11pm On Jul 09, 2016
Lily4star:

Aside d hole(s) wey u already gt,I bow to u ooo

If na me now......hmmm mk I jst kwayet
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by Lily4star(f): 2:29pm On Jul 09, 2016
tizblink:

Ogà o

Anyway since it's from goal.com I'm not disappointed

The writer is biased then

1 Like

Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by Lily4star(f): 2:30pm On Jul 09, 2016
kikies:

Aside d hole(s) wey u already gt,I bow to u ooo

If na me now......hmmm mk I jst kwayet

If na you wetin??
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jul 09, 2016
I would like messi to retire from Spanish football too when RONALDO wins euro 2016 and Ballon D' Or.
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by goodforsomthing: 3:19pm On Jul 09, 2016
Lily4star:

You are right bro,let him try different leagues and let us see if he will perform like Ronaldo. Naijabet man say so
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by DaVinciii(m): 4:21pm On Jul 09, 2016
goodforsomthing:

You are right bro,let him try different leagues and let us see if he will perform like Ronaldo. Naijabet man say so

see. There's a difference between better career and better player. If Ronaldo wins with Portugal, people may argue he had a better career (which is not true). What I mean is, no matter what he wins, you can't say he is a better player, man.
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by Frankaka8(m): 4:52pm On Jul 09, 2016
Lily4star:

what did Ronaldo win @ sporting lisbon? What achievement has Ronaldo with portuga even in junior level? OP write up is from goal.com
Messi (30 cups for club n country), Ronaldo (17cups) Messi 5world best, Ronaldo 3world best. Messi 28yrs, Ronaldo 31yrs... harsh truth is, one leads, anoda is doing a catchup!

http://www.goal.com/euro2016/en/article/ronaldo-can-win-euro-2016-and-the-world-cup-but-messi-will-still-be-number-one/tmgwm0e09m2f1iq50pxjqsmqf

1 Like

Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by Frankaka8(m): 4:55pm On Jul 09, 2016
goodforsomthing:

barca and Madrid are arguably the 2 best clubs in Europe. Messi has nothing else to prove. (person dey prosper, haters say make him comot)... and you dey Lagos dey flex, why yu no Borno state for Sambisa kan begin nairaland??

1 Like

Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by goodforsomthing: 4:55pm On Jul 09, 2016
DaVinciii:

see. There's a difference between better career and better player. If Ronaldo wins with Portugal, people may argue he had a better career (which is not true). What I mean is, no matter what he wins, you can't say he is a better player, man.

So what now make him a better player ? Playing basketball abi
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by kikies(m): 5:34pm On Jul 09, 2016
Lily4star:

If na you wetin??

U too figure it out
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by felixomor: 5:52pm On Jul 09, 2016
DaVinciii:

Going by that there are better players than Pele too, but Pele had a better career than them.
Thats life then.
At the end, its the career that is evaluated.
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by theoneJabulani(m): 11:39pm On Jul 09, 2016
Sd
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by 2dice01: 12:10am On Jul 10, 2016
you guys are arguing blindly...the plain truth is you can compare two different people playing different kind of pattern[b]una saliva go just finish[/b] ... Ronaldo is talented but more hardworking ...while messi is more talented but not as hardworking as ronaldo...Its just like comparing olamide vs reminisce...the first is less talented but crazily hardworking...while the other is more talented but less hardworking...and you know hardwork beat talent if talent no workhard
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by DaVinciii(m): 3:52am On Jul 10, 2016
2dice01:
you guys are arguing blindly...the plain truth is you can compare two different people playing different kind of pattern[b]una saliva go just finish[/b] ... Ronaldo is talented but more hardworking ...while messi is more talented but not as hardworking as ronaldo...Its just like comparing olamide vs reminisce...the first is less talented but crazily hardworking...while the other is more talented but less hardworking...and you know hardwork beat talent if talent no workhard

Messi drops deep to defend, gets into midfield positions, triples as playmaker, winger and striker, has more dribbles, assists, chances created, fouls received than any other player in the best club in the world.
Ronaldo doesn't dribble anyone, just fall and look for a freekick that he'll miss, stands in the box for 90mins looking for a header. Ronaldo is more hardworking I agree lol.
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by Badosqi(m): 5:28am On Jul 10, 2016
An article from goal.com. Not only that but written by Ben Wayward(sorry hayward). Ben is a messi d**k rider, he will write any thing to exalt messi.

You will know all these if you read goal.com regularly. Goal.com is very bias. They try to downplay ronaldo's contribution everytime. They make start unreasonable comparism once Ronaldo is in a game.

Check this out:

1: poland vs Portugal.... Goal.com started their stupid comparism of lewandoski vs Ronaldo

2: Portugal vs Wales instantly changed to Bale vs Ronaldo on goal.com. Stupid ben hayward and his likes named bale as the better player.

3: France vs Portugal. They've started again, now it is Griezmann vs Ronaldo. Remember they did the same in the final of UCL real madrid vs atletico.

I hope portugal will the euro cup. I want to read more silly articles from goat.com(ok goal.com) and Ben Hayward.
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by 2dice01: 7:44am On Jul 10, 2016
DaVinciii:

Messi drops deep to defend, gets into midfield positions, triples as playmaker, winger and striker, has more dribbles, assists, chances created, fouls received than any other player in the best club in the world.
Ronaldo doesn't dribble anyone, just fall and look for a freekick that he'll miss, stands in the box for 90mins looking for a header. Ronaldo is more hardworking I agree lol.
lol...you are just being sentimental ...see for yourself www.m.bdnews24.com/en/detail/sport/1155504 more hardworking to messi the early you get that the better
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by DaVinciii(m): 8:30am On Jul 10, 2016
Badosqi:
An article from goal.com. Not only that but written by Ben Wayward(sorry hayward). Ben is a messi d**k rider, he will write any thing to exalt messi.

You will know all these if you read goal.com regularly. Goal.com is very bias. They try to downplay ronaldo's contribution everytime. They make start unreasonable comparism once Ronaldo is in a game.

Check this out:

1: poland vs Portugal.... Goal.com started their stupid comparism of lewandoski vs Ronaldo

2: Portugal vs Wales instantly changed to Bale vs Ronaldo on goal.com. Stupid ben hayward and his likes named bale as the better player.

3: France vs Portugal. They've started again, now it is Griezmann vs Ronaldo. Remember they did the same in the final of UCL real madrid vs atletico.

I hope portugal will the euro cup. I want to read more silly articles from goat.com(ok goal.com) and Ben Hayward.

what did you expect? Ramsey vs Jao Mario? it's normal to compare talismen when teams go head to head.
Bale was actually the better player on the night.
I see your point though.. it should be Renato Sanches vs Bale.
Watch Madrid games. if Ronaldo doesn't score, his rating is usually low. Messi may not score but will be the man of the match. Anyway, like in the last paragraph, it boils down to personal opinions.
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by DaVinciii(m): 8:32am On Jul 10, 2016
Official Euro2016 player barometer, Ronaldo is 10th. Behind the likea of Giroud. Its not goal.com
Re: Ronaldo Can Win Euro 2016 AND The World Cup But Messi Will Still Be Number One by onyeomaonyeoma(m): 8:34am On Jul 10, 2016
that stupid Ben Hayward is a person and is very bias .........has anyone read Peter Stauton version .....

Ben Hayward is a 'very useless analysts

(1) (Reply)

Wenger Releases Bombshell On Sanchez / Watch Highlights Of Barcelona Vs Real Madrid Here / Bother Inventing A New Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.