Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

Does The Purgatory Exist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Purgatory Exist? (1066 Views)

The Catholic Church May Be Right About Purgatory After All:near Death Experience / Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} / Is Purgatory In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Purgatory Exist? by Nobody: 9:51am On Jul 10, 2016
Catholics believe that the purgatory is an intermediate state after physical death in which those destined for heaven "undergo purification", so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven. They got the idea from the 2 Maccabees and 1 Corinthians 3 : 10-15. They believe there are 2 types of sin; the mortal sin and the venial sin. Those who die without repenting from mortal sins are headed straight to hell. While those who commited only venial sins would get a second chance in purgatory. Therefore, Catholics pray for the souls of the departed, with the hope that they will be "purged" of all sins and then enter heaven.

Pentecostal churches on the other hand, reject the doctrine of purgatory. They believe that the Bible, from which they exclude deuterocanonical books such as 2 Maccabees, contains no overt, explicit discussion of purgatory and therefore it should be rejected as an unbiblical belief. The argue that faith alone, apart from any action, is what achieves salvation, and that good works are merely evidence of that faith. Salvation is generally seen as a discrete event that takes place once for all during one's lifetime, not the result of a transformation of character. However, most pentecostal churches teach that a transformation of character naturally follows the salvation experience. Instead of distinguishing between mortal and venial sins, they believe that one's faith dictates one's state of salvation and one's place in the afterlife. Those who have been saved by God are destined for heaven, while those have not been saved will be excluded from heaven. Accordingly, they reject any notion of a provisional or temporary afterlife state such as purgatory.

1 Corinthians 3:10-15 says 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

So, who is right? The Catholics or the Pentecostal Churches?
Re: Does The Purgatory Exist? by Nobody: 10:00am On Jul 10, 2016
Question: Does the purgatory exist?

Answer: No

1 Like

Re: Does The Purgatory Exist? by talktonase(m): 10:03am On Jul 10, 2016
lies from the pit of hell...
Re: Does The Purgatory Exist? by Nobody: 10:19am On Jul 10, 2016
noxide:
Question: Does the purgatory exist?

Answer: No

What was Paul referring to in that verse 15?
Re: Does The Purgatory Exist? by geraldmezi(m): 10:26am On Jul 10, 2016
Peter is the rock

proudly Catholic
Re: Does The Purgatory Exist? by haibe(m): 10:37am On Jul 10, 2016
No... as far as i know the bible, the concept of purgatory isn't biblical
Re: Does The Purgatory Exist? by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 10, 2016
haibe:
No... as far as i know the bible, the concept of purgatory isn't biblical

I am not Catholic. I have always believed that the doctrine had no roots in the Bible. But i came across 1 Corinthians 3:15, and it got me thinking
Re: Does The Purgatory Exist? by Niflheim(m): 12:37am On Jul 11, 2016
"Who is right, the Catholics or the Pentecostals?".......................ANSWER: NONE OF THEM

What even makes you think that those are the only 2 options available?!!! The same Catholic Church that has been failing for years(Galileo, the Bubonic Plague), now want to tell you what will happen to you after you die?!!!
Re: Does The Purgatory Exist? by taurus25(m): 3:00am On Jul 11, 2016
The numerous denomination of christains have their doctrines from which ever perspective they choose to look at the bible. Is the holy spirit not supppsed to be the interpreter? Is the holy spirit awfully confused??
Re: Does The Purgatory Exist? by Nobody: 10:59am On Jul 11, 2016
Niflheim:
"Who is right, the Catholics or the Pentecostals?".......................ANSWER: NONE OF THEM

What even makes you think that those are the only 2 options available?!!! The same Catholic Church that has been failing for years(Galileo, the Bubonic Plague), now want to tell you what will happen to you after you die?!!!

Someone has to be right in this instance bro. It's either the purgatory exists or it doesn't. It is mutually exclusive.

So, does the purgatory exist?
Re: Does The Purgatory Exist? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 23, 2019
geraldmezi:
Peter is the rock

Myopic
Re: Does The Purgatory Exist? by BetterChurch: 10:04pm On Oct 23, 2019
Yes,

There is Purgatory
Re: Does The Purgatory Exist? by BetterChurch: 10:08pm On Oct 23, 2019
Many are reincarnated after spending time in the caves of purification, termed purgatory by the Church.

(1) (Reply)

MFM 70 Day Prayer And Fasting Programme / Oh dear, poverty is such a curse to anyone, learn to release yourself / God Is Satisfied With You - Joseph Prince

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.