Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,522 members, 7,819,880 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. (50232 Views)

SUV Crushes 23-Year-Old EBSU Graduate Preparing For NYSC In Lagos / Preparing For Ielt Exams, Or Already Taken Please Lets Talk About It / Preparing For PTE? Get In Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by Dblock89: 2:12am On May 19, 2018
Hello everyone, please I need help considering this English proficiency test I'm traveling to Australia for work not for study so please I'm confused the one to take between IELTS and TOEFL,note I want the less difficult one among them..thanks and God bless you All!!!
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by lolokike: 9:07pm On May 21, 2018
Hello guys please where can I register TOEFL for 40K.

1 Like

Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by Olufemi99(f): 8:45am On May 22, 2018
Abeg meself need the material ajalaolufemi99@gmail.com.....thanks
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by clapper04: 9:52pm On May 22, 2018
hilaryxoxo:
I want to start by saying that the TOEFL is a very very very easy exam - especially for native English speakers. The average person here is done with secondary school, where we studied English as a subject for 6 years. We've spoken English for over 20 years (assuming no one here is below 20 and has been speaking English since birth).

So what is difficult in an exam that just wants to test our ability to use English? - The reason people fail or do below their expectations is: (1) Inadequate preparation (2) Inadequate practice

I have written TOEFL twice. I scored 100 the first time (R24 L25 S24 W27) with less than 1 week of preparation because of my very busy schedule at work. In fact, most of my preparation was done the night before my exam (you better don't try this), where I practiced only reading with the TOEFL software on ETS' website. I was very disappointed with my score as it didn't even meet the cut-off for the school I was applying to. I registered to take the exam for the second time and scored a 101 (R26 L25 S24 W26).

Coming from someone that has written the exam twice, I can tell you that if you practice very well - with the right materials, you'd score well. My score didn't improve because my preparation was very very terrible.

Based on my experience, I'd make recommendations based the little things I did that worked for me and also based on the things I wish I did that I didn't do.

1. Notefull videos: I watched all the free videos on their website here https://www.notefull.com/content.php?pgID=575 all you need to do is to complete all the video lessons there. It is very very short. you can actually finish it in 4 hours. just take note of all the tips and tricks and templates!!!!!!!!!!

2. After completing all the notefull videos, go straight to practicing. This was where I personally missed it. I did not practice at all - apart from the day before the exam, where I started noticing most of my mistakes and weaknesses. PRACTICE LIKE HELL! The software I used to practice was the Official Guide (Interactive Software) which you can find here http://www.gregmattoeflnigeria.com/resources/TOEFL_PC.exe and the TOEFL sampler which you can find here http://www.gregmattoeflnigeria.com/resources/TOEFL_Sampler.exe

3. Once you're done exhausting all those practice materials, you are good to go - trust me. MAKE SURE YOU PRACTICE SPEAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND DONT FORGET THE SPEAKING TEMPLATES THAT YOU'D LEARN FROM NOTEFULL!

If you still have more time and you want to practice more, you can use this free TOEFL online course that you can find here https://www.edx.org/course/toeflr-test-preparation-insiders-guide-etsx-toeflx-4 (mind you, this course was put together by ETS - the makers of the TOEFL exam). You can also practice with some of these other Free Test Preparation Resources on the ETS website that you can find here https://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/prepare and you can also use Barron (I have heard good things about it)

I will leave with this final remark. "all know the way but few actually walk it". I wish everyone the best and I am open to questions.

I also have a ton of materials that I downloaded a while ago and have never opened if anyone sees anything specific they want, they can send me a PM or drop their emails asking for what they want in particular. I would make dropbox link to these materials soon.
I would like to have some of these material ma'am
14. 160 Academic Readings
20. TOEFL -150 TOEFL test.
22. TOEFL structure Bank
25. 155 TOEFL Essays

email: waleyazeez@gmail.com
Thanks a lot!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by Gewezzy1(f): 12:52pm On Jun 01, 2018
Please how much is TOEFl currently

1 Like

Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jun 01, 2018
ASK YOURSELF ONE SIMPLE QUESTION; Why do I want this masters in this University in this Country?!

I have been a silent observer of this thread and I’m not happy with a lot of things I’ve been seeing. Lots of people are plying into these “dead” schools thinking they can “finally leave Nigeria” and “finally achieve their dreams”. No boss, think again.

The only reason why people should consider an MSc is simple; to get access to a network from that masters for what ever reason it is that you want. For instance, if you’re working and you want to change your industry, or if you want to change geography (e.g. Nigeria to Canada), then a “good” MSc is perfect for that because you’d get access to a career center and the “access” that’ll give you that platform to achieve the desired career or geographical change you’re looking for.

So at the end of the day, we should ask ourselves, why do I want this masters sef ?
For me personally, I am pursuing a masters because I want more global exposure and I want a change geographically. There are other options I can take to getting what I want obviously. I can decide to stay in Nigeria and finish my professional qualification, then do an MBA and leave. But I want to leave as soon as possible so an MSc is a better option for me.

If someone wants to work in Nigeria and is finding it hard in getting a job, don’t think a masters abroad would solve that problem automatically. You need networks (which you can find for free on LinkedIn), you need trainings (e.g. industry certifications like ICAN or ACCA). You can even decide to apply to Edubridge. Edubridge trains undergraduates and graduates for investment banking and consulting jobs. They bring in a lot of industry leaders and you can use that platform to network to get a job. You can also use the brand “Edubridge” to secure a couple of interviews

If someone comes to tell me that they want to do their masters in Nigeria, CU for instance, for the sake of being more employable, I’d advise them to print their CV and go from company to company, code email and interact with people on LinkedIn, enroll in Edubridge and get reputable industry certifications that'll make them more attractive. Something would surely click, rather than going to spend c. 1 million naira in a school that won’t even give you any “access” to Broad Street or Adeola Odeku, where all the financial companies are, or Ikeja, the hub of technology in Nigeria. Unilag is even better in terms of “access” to Broad Street or Adeola Odeku because they have a very strong alumni presence in that area. (Please note: I am not endorsing an MSc in Unilag)

If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc for the *sole* purpose of making your cv more “ghen-ghen”, then you should reconsider it. For instance, If you work in McKinsey, you already have like 95/100 points in terms of CV ghenghen-ness, and there’s no point in leaving your job to do a masters that’ll only increase your CV ghenghen-ness from the 95 it currently is in to a 98 (it can never be greater than 100). Besides, only a few schools can do that, think HBS and Warton.

If you fall among the category of people whose main purpose for a masters is for employability in Nigeria, all you have to do is to find out what your employer is looking for. More often than not, it’s not an international masters they’re looking for. Many of them are looking for experience, many of them are looking for industry certifications. That international masters may not necessarily give you the network to securing a job in your home country. LinkedIn is waay better for that and very much more cost effective.

If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc to re-brand themselves. Maybe you didn’t do too well in Undergrad, or you went to a very dead Nigerian University. An MSc is great for that, however, APPLY TO THE BEST SCHOOL YOUR PROFILE CAN AFFORD! Don’t you want the best for yourself?

Last but definitely not the least, If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc to run away, say you wan marry and get citizenship, then your case is special. If youre using a “dead school”, good luck with creating a compelling story that you can sell to the VO’s. You think those guys be mumu?

Many people here are looking for shortcuts, you don’t want to write GRE and TOEFL but you want to get admitted with full funding and you also want to secure a mad job upon graduation? Bros how far na? You no hustle but you won chop fufu?. If your input is mediocrity, your output will surely be mediocrity.

“We see better when we stand on the shoulders of those that have gone ahead of us”. This is why we have nairaland but its just turning more and more mediocre with the schools that are being mentioned here daily. Please lets shoot higher shots!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by kerny(f): 11:09am On Jun 08, 2018
ASK YOURSELF ONE SIMPLE QUESTION; Why do I want this masters in this University in this Country?!

I have been a silent observer of this thread and I’m not happy with a lot of things I’ve been seeing. Lots of people are plying into these “dead” schools thinking they can “finally leave Nigeria” and “finally achieve their dreams”. No boss, think again.

The only reason why people should consider an MSc is simple; to get access to a network from that masters for what ever reason it is that you want. For instance, if you’re working and you want to change your industry, or if you want to change geography (e.g. Nigeria to Canada), then a “good” MSc is perfect for that because you’d get access to a career center and the “access” that’ll give you that platform to achieve the desired career or geographical change you’re looking for.

So at the end of the day, we should ask ourselves, why do I want this masters sef ?
For me personally, I am pursuing a masters because I want more global exposure and I want a change geographically. There are other options I can take to getting what I want obviously. I can decide to stay in Nigeria and finish my professional qualification, then do an MBA and leave. But I want to leave as soon as possible so an MSc is a better option for me.

If someone wants to work in Nigeria and is finding it hard in getting a job, don’t think a masters abroad would solve that problem automatically. You need networks (which you can find for free on LinkedIn), you need trainings (e.g. industry certifications like ICAN or ACCA). You can even decide to apply to Edubridge. Edubridge trains undergraduates and graduates for investment banking and consulting jobs. They bring in a lot of industry leaders and you can use that platform to network to get a job. You can also use the brand “Edubridge” to secure a couple of interviews

If someone comes to tell me that they want to do their masters in Nigeria, CU for instance, for the sake of being more employable, I’d advise them to print their CV and go from company to company, code email and interact with people on LinkedIn, enroll in Edubridge and get reputable industry certifications that'll make them more attractive. Something would surely click, rather than going to spend c. 1 million naira in a school that won’t even give you any “access” to Broad Street or Adeola Odeku, where all the financial companies are, or Ikeja, the hub of technology in Nigeria. Unilag is even better in terms of “access” to Broad Street or Adeola Odeku because they have a very strong alumni presence in that area. (Please note: I am not endorsing an MSc in Unilag)

If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc for the *sole* purpose of making your cv more “ghen-ghen”, then you should reconsider it. For instance, If you work in McKinsey, you already have like 95/100 points in terms of CV ghenghen-ness, and there’s no point in leaving your job to do a masters that’ll only increase your CV ghenghen-ness from the 95 it currently is in to a 98 (it can never be greater than 100). Besides, only a few schools can do that, think HBS and Warton.

If you fall among the category of people whose main purpose for a masters is for employability in Nigeria, all you have to do is to find out what your employer is looking for. More often than not, it’s not an international masters they’re looking for. Many of them are looking for experience, many of them are looking for industry certifications. That international masters may not necessarily give you the network to securing a job in your home country. LinkedIn is waay better for that and very much more cost effective.

If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc to re-brand themselves. Maybe you didn’t do too well in Undergrad, or you went to a very dead Nigerian University. An MSc is great for that, however, APPLY TO THE BEST SCHOOL YOUR PROFILE CAN AFFORD! Don’t you want the best for yourself?

Last but definitely not the least, If you fall among the category of people that want to use an MSc to run away, say you wan marry and get citizenship, then your case is special. If youre using a “dead school”, good luck with creating a compelling story that you can sell to the VO’s. You think those guys be mumu?

Many people here are looking for shortcuts, you don’t want to write GRE and TOEFL but you want to get admitted with full funding and you also want to secure a mad job upon graduation? Bros how far na? You no hustle but you won chop fufu?. If your input is mediocrity, your output will surely be mediocrity.

“We see better when we stand on the shoulders of those that have gone ahead of us”. This is why we have nairaland but its just turning more and more mediocre with the schools that are being mentioned here daily. Please lets shoot higher shots!
This Comment right here is life,No truer words.

1 Like

Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by Abigalbee98(f): 12:15am On Jun 12, 2018
clapper04:

I would like to have some of these material ma'am
14. 160 Academic Readings
20. TOEFL -150 TOEFL test.
22. TOEFL structure Bank
25. 155 TOEFL Essays

email: waleyazeez@gmail.com
Thanks a lot!
me too.....Abigalbello@yahoo.com
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by Gewezzy1(f): 11:28am On Jun 12, 2018
Please how much is TOEFl currently, plus i saw ds link for anyone looking for Tutorials https://www.4tests.com/exam/toefl/5/?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C3091339228

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by tsquare299(m): 8:48pm On Jun 15, 2018
please, I need TOEFL materials. tewogbadetunde@gmail.com
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by stephoye: 4:41am On Jun 16, 2018
Abigalbee98:
me too.....Abigalbello@yahoo.com
Kindly send the TOEFL materials to stephoye@gmail.com
Thank u
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by Alkali247: 8:44pm On Jun 20, 2018
Pls i need TOEFL material
Email. kudos4kudogi@gmail.com
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by Ayohbk(m): 2:11pm On Jun 27, 2018
Hello, I just received my Toefl scores. Please how do I download it. I didn't see any download button on the view scores page
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by Gewezzy1(f): 11:56pm On Jun 27, 2018
Ayohbk:
Hello, I just received my Toefl scores. Please how do I download it. I didn't see any download button on the view scores page
how was the exam please and how much
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by Ayohbk(m): 12:00am On Jun 28, 2018
Gewezzy1:
how was the exam please and how much

The exam was cool. Scored 101. Had a long time to prepare though.
I paid 45k when I registered. I think they were running a promo then. Now it's around 70 to 80k

1 Like

Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 3:13am On Jun 30, 2018
MrCuteking:
Wow! Not up to 24hours ago that I called B.Y maffit’s customer care centre when I was hoping to pay 45k for my GRE registration and to my greatest surprise they said they’ve stopped thier “one time promo” shocked . enabling the amount to go back to its usual price of 90k. cry I was even begging them online that they should please accept 60k becuase they never told me it was promo. undecided . On getting to nairaland as usual to seek for help I bumped into this superhuman whose nickname is lincoffm... grin cheesy . Chai and choi! He helped me with an affordable price with discount of 50% as I was able to remove change from the initial 45k and still pay for registration. As in ehn. I was at home and my registration was completed without stress. @lincoffm. May the raining showers of blessings continue to fall on you. Let the world say amen kiss
please how can I reach you?
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by MrCuteking(m): 10:17am On Jun 30, 2018
Rrhoda:
please how can I reach you?
whatsapp only. 08063978763

1 Like

Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by nelronaldo(m): 4:13pm On Jul 08, 2018
Please can someone help me with TOELF materials.
I'd really appreciate.
My email address: emmanuelemmabb@gmail.com
Thanks
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by ruqeez: 2:38pm On Jul 30, 2018
Hello please can someone help me with TOEFL material... my email is ruqbeez@gmail.com
Thank you
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by ruqeez: 2:39pm On Jul 30, 2018
stephoye:

Kindly send the TOEFL materials to stephoye@gmail.com
Thank u
please kindly send TOEFL material to me ruqbeez@gmail.com
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by nwakaegoabisola(f): 11:14pm On Jul 30, 2018
������

1 Like

Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by Uju2406(f): 11:14am On Jul 31, 2018
Miracle212:

Yes I have gotten study materials, Do you need as well?
Yet to register
Where are you writing, did you register online or through an agent

@MIRACLE212
Hi can u pls send me the materials to ujonyema@gmail.com

thanks in anticipation
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by abokibuhari: 9:23am On Aug 01, 2018
Miracle212:

sent
Need materials dear
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by mariaattah: 8:05pm On Aug 01, 2018
you could call me on 08 09 14 86 70 0 if you are interested in registering for 45k. I could put you through on what and what you need to know on how to get at-least an 80/120.

Pls where is your location?
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by Uju2406(f): 9:07pm On Aug 01, 2018
Miracle212:

Yes I have gotten study materials, Do you need as well?
Yet to register
Where are you writing, did you register online or through an agent

hi Miracle212
i sent u personal messages but no reply from u yet
pls i need the study materials too
you can send to this email address ujonyema@gmail.com
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by seun78(f): 11:41pm On Aug 23, 2018
Hello, I would like to request for the toefl material, kindly help out if you have any...thanks
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by nigerdoncast: 5:55am On Aug 24, 2018
Uju2406:

hi Miracle212 i sent u personal messages but no reply from u yet pls i need the study materials too you can send to this email address ujonyema@gmail.com
pls forward the materials to me i beg you
email is: caringemmy@gmail.com thanks
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by nigerdoncast: 5:56am On Aug 24, 2018
Ayohbk:

The exam was cool. Scored 101. Had a long time to prepare though.
I paid 45k when I registered. I think they were running a promo then. Now it's around 70 to 80k

pls send me the materials i beg

caringemmy@gmail.com thanks
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by nigerdoncast: 5:58am On Aug 24, 2018
life4lekan2:

Sent
friend pls send me too the materials
caringemmy@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by nigerdoncast: 5:59am On Aug 24, 2018
youngcole:
Received Thank you.
pls friend forward the materials to me
caringemmy@gmail.com
Re: Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. by nigerdoncast: 6:00am On Aug 24, 2018
life4lekan2:

Sent to your mail
pls help me send the materials too
caringemmy@gmail.com thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Photos From My Christmas Experience At Udo Udoma Park In Uyo / Superstory: The Nigerian TV Show That Got Zimbabweans Obsessed With Nollywood / Man Spotted Cows Matching At Night In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.