Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,004 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? (4658 Views)

For Nairalanders Who Are Retired Military Pensioners(vetrans) / EMPLOYERS: What Are Your Worst Interview Experiences. What Are Your No No's????? / Which Is Your Worst Customer-Friendly Bank In Nigeria: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by canuck(m): 9:01pm On Sep 10, 2009
I met my worst boss, Mr. "O" several years ago in the financial services industry. He praised me, and always said I "carried the weight of the department through excellent work". I worked myself to the bone, clocking 15 hours/day.

When it was promotion time, every department promoted their folks, even average folks, but no one in my department got promoted except my boss, despite ranking #2 in goal achievement among 25 departments! I felt so sad.  cry It was like I took a punch in the stomach.

What's the problem? My boss hoarded all the reward from the team performance; he hyped his contributions to executive management & downplayed ours - He got double promotion while those of us on the team got nothing! He later felt bad about it and made a lame attempt to make it right, though he never apologized.

My people, please tell us about your "worst boss" experience - mean, incompetent, reward hoarder, overbearing, harasser, wicked, gigolo, ashawo, disloyal, selfish, domineering, unprofessional, fire-at-will, back-stabber bosses - even if it does not sting that bad anymore  wink

This should be both interesting and therapeutic.
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by canuck(m): 9:47pm On Sep 10, 2009
From a source I know:

"My former boss had a horrible habit - If searching for a female staff he would bang on the women's restroom/toilet door calling out names until someone responded!" OMG!!!!!

Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by ikmomen(m): 5:10pm On Sep 12, 2009
my best boss has always been my self. ts so much fun to work from home alone and make some real decent income.
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by canuck(m): 9:55pm On Sep 12, 2009
^^^^ Nice one - Good job on living the ultimate worklife, ikmomen.

It will surely be double wahala to be your own worst boss - If you don't find time for yourself, it could happen grin
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by ikmomen(m): 8:02am On Sep 13, 2009
@canuk, sure it can b hell on earth 2 b ur own boss.
Wen i began i was too hard on myself and always overworkd only to achieve little or nothing. I almost quit, bt n d long run things became beta and more interesting.
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by iice(f): 12:59pm On Sep 13, 2009
Hmmm none really. . .once they get overbearing, i just phase out undecided
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by okeey(m): 2:04pm On Sep 14, 2009
well 2 me he should be deal with
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by klassyguy(m): 2:14pm On Sep 14, 2009
[b]Mr.S.I., my worst boss ever. Met him in one IT firm where i worked in Minna last year. beginning second week on the job, he gave me a query for coming late to work, despite the fact that he knew i come all the way from abuja every monday due to the professional classes i had over the weekend. from that day, i never smiled with the man. everyone in the firm knew we played the cat and mouse game throughout my stay. the second time he gave me a query was the day b4 we got paid. immediately i got my salary for the month, i handed in my resignation letter. everyone was shocked at that move cos i was one of the best employees in the firm(according to them, not me oh). even the head office in abuja wondered what was amiss, cos i would be the second person to leave that same branch office that month. the day i was leaving, i went to telll him 'll not be coming back, nd he gave a speech about letting by-gones be by-gones, that whatever friction caused, should be forgotten, u dnt know who u'll meet when going up the ladder, nd some other blah that i didn't understand. the last i heard from the company employees, another 3 pple had left(including my HOD), nd the place was about to be closed down.[/b]
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by canuck(m): 2:35pm On Sep 14, 2009
@Klassyguy

Interesting post - Any guess why S.I. was so hard on you? Did he
1) feel threatened by your unofficial "best employee" status
2) single you out for vindictiveness or
3) he's just an intimidating jerk? cheesy
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by canuck(m): 2:38pm On Sep 14, 2009
iice:

Hmmm none really. . .once they get overbearing, i just phase out undecided

"Phase out", as in resign/transfer-out? If yes, I guess the saying is true that most employees don't leave companies, they leave managers!
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Sep 14, 2009
My mum. Love you. grin grin cheesy
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by MrLoverMAn(m): 2:49pm On Sep 14, 2009
stillwater:

you worked for your mum,
what was that like, and what business was that ?
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by Gamine(f): 2:52pm On Sep 14, 2009
Ive only had 3 bosses.

i cant work a 9-5 for too long.

The first one was just a confused n angry man
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Sep 14, 2009
stillwater:

you try. I cant work for my mum sha- no real issues but I think she'd always be in my business grin

I worked for my uncle once and had a great time- had a crush on one of his employees which wasnt reciprocated since the boy was some kind of straight arrow or maybe religious. grin Or maybe I had no game cheesy abi im dey fear my papa
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by juyajemi: 2:56pm On Sep 14, 2009
my one and only boss.( i wont give any clues coz he 's here too.)

he's fun when money comes in, but whn we had to go weeks without clinching a single deal. HE WAS MEEEEE -ANNNNNNNNN
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by MrLoverMAn(m): 2:57pm On Sep 14, 2009
tpia.:

you try. I cant work for my mum sha- no real issues but I think she'd always be in my business grin

I worked for my uncle once and had a great time- had a crush on one of his employees which wasnt reciprocated since the boy was some kind of straight arrow or maybe religious. grin Or maybe I had no game cheesy abi im dey fear my papa

PELE lol :-)
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by quadrillio(m): 3:14pm On Sep 14, 2009
none for now, maybe am too precious LOL  grin
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by iice(f): 3:18pm On Sep 14, 2009
canuck:

"Phase out", as in resign/transfer-out? If yes, I guess the saying is true that most employees don't leave companies, they leave managers!

If i can't mentally phase out then yes i resign which sometimes just does the trick of turning their attitudes though for how long? It varies.
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 14, 2009
resigning is a good idea.
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by koolchicco: 3:22pm On Sep 14, 2009
stillwater:

Your mum?. .What kinda job was that? Erm,Erm can I work for her too? grin
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by FFA: 3:24pm On Sep 14, 2009
I WILL CALL MY FORMER BOSS HARASSER, IT HAPPENED IN 1992 WHEN I WAS SERVING IN WARRI, I TOLD HIM THAT I WOULD BE CELEBRATING MY BIRTHDAY IN 3DAYS TIME, THAT HE SHOULD ALLOW ME TO CLOSE BY 3PM ON MY BIRTHDAY BECAUSE I INVITED MY FRIENDS TO BE IN MY PLACE BY 5PM.HE SAID NO PROBLEM. ON THE DAY OF THE CELEBRATION HE CALLED ME BY 2.30 PM AND GAVE ME AN ACCOUNT RECONCILIATION THAT I SHOULD MAKE SURE I FINISHED IT BEFORE I CLOSED.I REMINDED HIM THAT I NEEDED TO GET SOME THINGS IN THE MARKET. HE SAID I SHOULD LEAVE AND GET THE JOB DONE, I DIDN'T FINISH THE JOB UNTIL PAST 5 THAT FAITHFUL DAY. I WAS WORKING AND CRYING.WHEN I GOT TO THE COPPERS LODGE MY INVITEES WERE ALREADY SITED, I WAS THERE WITH BASKET OF RAW FOODS, STARTED BEGGING MY FRIENDS THAT I WAS SORRY FOR COMING LATE(IMAGINE A CELEBRANT COMING LATE), THEY FELT SORRY FOR ME AND WAITED TILL THE FOOD WAS READY, THAT WAS THE WORST BIRTHDAY IVE EVER CELEBRATED. HUN WHAT A BOSS! HE LATER SENT ME A CRATE OF MINERAL FOR THE CELEBRATION THAT DAY BUT THE DEED HAS BEEN DONE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IT WAS TOO LATE, I REJECTED IT BUT MY FELLOW COPPERS SAID I SHOULD ACCEPT IT.
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by Nezan(m): 3:25pm On Sep 14, 2009
My former HOD while I was lecturing at the University.
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 14, 2009
MrLoverMAn:

you worked for your mum,
what was that like, and what business was that ?

She had a hairdressing salon. I had to take care of the books and do some meagre jobs. There's no diplomacy when you don't get things right grin. To compound it all it wasn't a paying job anyway grin But I got some loose change. still love you mum. cheesy I work part-time at a store now, the managress even takes me home at night and buys me lunch. grin The difference is clear, jare. grin
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by unclebros: 4:52pm On Sep 14, 2009
My worst Boss was my last job
This man is married but yet sleeps with colleagues, prostitutes even in the office while we all are still around.
I had to pray my way out of the company.
and God did it!
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by canuck(m): 5:03pm On Sep 14, 2009
unclebros:

My worst Boss was my last job
This man is married but yet sleeps with colleagues, prostitutes even in the office while we all are still around.

OMG!!!! Are you kidding? Is he the business owner?
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by vikiviko(m): 5:21pm On Sep 14, 2009
My first Boss almost killed me with unnecessary shouts, deduction of salary, late closing hours, abusive language, restrict my female visitors etc

It was an experience that defined , shaped and exposed me to shrewdness, guts, confidence and kindness.
He was tough and kind, abusive and advicing, restrictive and accomodative.

The day i resigned he couldn't believe it, i had no job in sight but the humiliation and shouts were too much for m young mind to take. He practically almost cried when i told him i am not interested in his job again, he said Mr Man in 2 days you will come and beg.

I now laugh at those moments because it was a process to make me a better person.
We still communicate and are happy friends.
God bless Mr daaaaaaaaaaa,
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by mystikal(m): 5:35pm On Sep 14, 2009
i never thoought I'll enjoy working for a woman, but my boss is the best ever, easily.

I've had a few crap bosses, jealousy would be their crime.
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by chukz4real(m): 5:58pm On Sep 14, 2009
Hmmm, have not had any yet, Nevertheless, there was a conspiracy sometime me 2 months back by this new white guy sent to work with us blacks, he conspired with 4 other white guys (including one manager) to send me out of site, my other colleagues (black ogas) denied me, The manager was to leave site the next mrning back onshore but called other managers to come in the following morning to deliberate on my matter,

Men, that nite I prayed like I never before, called my pastor, friends and the likes, The next day, 8:00am chopper flew in the next mrning he refused to board the chopper and ,

I had an alert that the two managers had already boarded flight enroute offshore because of me, 2 mins away from my platform the pilot was called to return back onshore and take some top management staff' to Delta State for an emergency meeting, I heard it over the radio and was like, OMG! God arrested all dem white afterwards based on my pastor' declaration and we now live better,

Miracle uh? yea! its ril,
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by canuck(m): 6:15pm On Sep 14, 2009
mystikal:

i never thoought I'll enjoy working for a woman, but my boss is the best ever, easily.

I've had a few crap bosses, jealousy would be their crime.

Jealous? Why so?

BTW, saw an earlier post by you gushing over your current female boss - I go love oh grin
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by canuck(m): 6:26pm On Sep 14, 2009
vikiviko:

My first Boss almost killed me with unnecessary shouts, deduction of salary, late closing hours, abusive language, restrict my female visitors etc

It was an experience that defined , shaped and exposed me to shrewdness, guts, confidence and kindness.
He was tough and kind, abusive and advicing, restrictive and accomodative.

The day i resigned he couldn't believe it, i had no job in sight but the humiliation and shouts were too much for m young mind to take. He practically almost cried when i told him i am not interested in his job again, he said Mr Man in 2 days you will come and beg.

I now laugh at those moments because it was a process to make me a better person.
We still communicate and are happy friends.
God bless Mr daaaaaaaaaaa,

You definitely have a large heart to see the experience in perspective and still maintain a relationship with him afterwards.
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by klassyguy(m): 6:55pm On Sep 14, 2009
canuck:

@Klassyguy

Interesting post - Any guess why S.I. was so hard on you? Did he
1) feel threatened by your unofficial "best employee" status
2) single you out for vindictiveness or
3) he's just an intimidating jerk? cheesy

I feel he was just an intimidating jerk, that branch had just been set up about 3 months b4 i got there and he was appointed the manager there. feel he was just trying to do shakara. everyone knew he was a F@ckup, nd he later tried making amends, but it was too l8. he even started poking his nose into almost everyone's affairs. there was a day he came to my cubicle and asked me what my name meant(double happinness in yoruba language). i told him i was born just a week b4 my parents got married nd the next thing the stupid man said "so ur mum and dad had been doing that thing b4 u were born abi?" u need to see the kinda eye i take look the guy that day. he never tried saying anything that stupid to me again.
so anytime he came around my department nd started asking questions, we guys that were there just say "go talk to our HOD". u know those kinda annoying ogas that want to know everything about everyone, even up to their personal lives sef. useless buffon.
Re: NairaLanders Who Was/Is Your Worst Boss Ever??? by slimes(m): 7:35pm On Sep 14, 2009
Dad has always been the boss in the house. Very authoritative I must say. Now, he is trying to associate with us his children.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Much Does Oceanic Bank Nigeria Pay Its Fresh Graduates Or Intakes? / Human Anatomy And Physiology Students;Lets meet here / Entry-level Salary For A Rig Worker(roustabout)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.