Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

What Constitutes Religious Imposition & Disturbance? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Constitutes Religious Imposition & Disturbance? (301 Views)

Typical Church Disturbance - Share Yours / I Don't Want To Marry A Christian Or Religious Person. / My Collection Of Religious Memes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Constitutes Religious Imposition & Disturbance? by histemple: 9:25pm On Jul 11, 2016
Religious killing fuelled by prolonged hate or spontaneous provocation has been with us from time immemorial and doesn't look like there is a solution in sight yet.

From the gruesome murder of the Deeper Life Bible Church member in Kano to the most recent killing of the RCCG female preacher in Abuja, both incidents have been described as unfortunate.

Unfortunately, the word "unfortunate" meant different things to the adherents of the 2 major religions in the country. While one group described it as "unwarranted killing", the other described it as "avoidable provocation". This opposing reactions is (in most cases) even more painful than the killing itself. Added to this pain is the loud silence by certain leaders whose swift reactions could have done so much in calming frayed nerves.

Based on my interactions with the staunch adherents of the 3 religions, I therefore want us to deliberate on the following questions with a view to creating the needed paradigm shift.

1. At what point does the activities of another religion becomes a deliberate and overbearing imposition to others?

2. Is it naturally offensive for a preacher to say "XYZ is the ONLY way or TRUE religion and if you reject XYZ, you will die and go to hell"?

3. If we practice our different religions without claiming that one is superior and with a little more tolerance, will there be peaceful coexistence?

According to statistics, there are more than 4,200 religions in the world. In Nigeria we have only 3 (Christianity, Paganism and Islam) yet the whole country is boiling. Of these 3, Paganism (which was our original African traditional religion before the introduction of the rest by foreigners) appears the most peaceful with enviable tolerance and nonviolent approach---even in the face of interference and provocations like the destruction/burning of their altars by either Christians or Islamic religious group. I have never heard of Pagans fighting the other two religious groups.

HOW CAN WE STOP RELIGIOUS CONFLICT?

(1) (Reply)

Our Daily Manna For Today 14/8/16 / Going To Bethel / Where In The Bible Did God Gave Them The Law Ot Tithe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.