Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,647 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% (14092 Views)

Oil Production Cost Per Barrel Down To $20, Says NNPC / Nnpc Cuts Production Cost To $23/barrel / Fcmb’s Profit Rises By 109% To N16.3bn In 2016, Declares 10k Dividend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by Adesiji77: 1:12pm On Jul 12, 2016
If the proposed common passport by the African Union (AU) becomes a reality, Nigeria may experience another round of exodus of industrial firms to neighbouring countries where the cost of production is cheaper.

Specifically, manufacturers decried the rising cost of production, noting that overhead cost incurred in providing alternative infrastructure like power is becoming unbearable for large and small-scale industrial firms who do not have capacity to invest in gas generators.

With the Automotive Gasoline Oil (AGO), known as diesel, which used to sell between N110 to N130 per litre, now selling for N200 per litre, manufacturers note that the cost of sustaining businesses through what should be an alternative power supply is becoming unbearable.

Similarly, capacity utilisation in the nation’s manufacturing sector continued to drop from its low record of about 50 per cent following poor gas supply to industrial layouts from Transmission Company of Nigeria.
Indeed, the power sector in the last few weeks had been at the mercy of militants who blew up gas facilities and further jeopardised the Federal Government’s plan to add another 6000 Mega Watts (MW) by July.

Many industrial firms, especially those operating in the food, beverages and conglomerates sub-sector had about a decade ago, relocated to Ghana after being offered incentives like 15-year tax holiday, free land and other policy initiatives which would drive their businesses.

With African Union pursuing a path of closer integration through the launch of a common passport that will grant visa-free access to all 54-member states as well as rising cost of power, the manufacturers noted that the integration decision may see Nigerian firms exploring manufacturing opportunities in other countries.

President, Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), Dr. Frank Jacobs in a chat with The Guardian, noted that the proposed union will facilitate free movement of persons, goods and services around the continent, thus fostering intra-Africa trade, integration and socio-economic development.

According to him, the deal is good for the productive sector that is presently troubled due to various challenges in the operating environment.

“The absence of conducive manufacturing environment and basic infrastructure would continue to draw back the sector, except something urgent is done to reverse the situation. Power is a major cost for manufacturers and they will explore opportunities where it is cheaper to produce their goods.

“Conversion of diesel generators to gas is a viable alternative but it is not cheap for small scale industries, while gas supply has equally be hampered by continued destruction of oil and gas facilities by militants,” Jacobs added.

Director-General of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI), Muda Yusuf noted that businesses are being killed everyday through poor power supply and low purchasing power from consumers.

According to him, many manufacturers are wary of the economic integration agenda as it takes a highly competitive environment to survive in an integrated economy.

“Businesses are complaining. Petrol and diesel costs are unbearable at the current rates. It is a suffocating situation and I hope the issues of ease of doing business are addressed before opening markets to other economies,” he added.

The World Bank had in its latest report on the ease of doing business ranked Nigeria low among other countries.

Nigeria, the World Bank observed, presently ranks 169 out of 189 countries examined for trade index for the year 2015.

Similarly, a recent United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) review of the agricultural situation in Benin, showed that: “Benin serves as a delivery corridor for West Africa, reaching more than 100 million people in the landlocked countries of Niger, Mali, Burkina Faso, Chad and the Northern states of Nigeria.”
USDA observed: “Benin’s relatively efficient port services and liberal trade policies mean it is an important cog in the regional trade flows to nearby countries.”

The report noted that improvements in the country’s port operations as well as some small improvements in the ease of doing business over the past years aided the flow of imports in the country.
http://guardian.ng/news/manufacturers-contemplate-exit-as-production-cost-rises-by-over-50/
Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by SeverusSnape(m): 1:16pm On Jul 12, 2016
Too bad. Effects of "change".

I've said it before and I'll say it again - BUHARI IS AN ECONOMIC TERRORIST.

126 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 12, 2016
i'm feeling fly FTC for the very first time grin grin

Please y'al should ignore the poster above me.. I'm the first to comment angry angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by MaleoPearls(m): 4:25pm On Jul 12, 2016
"If"

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by sukkot: 4:25pm On Jul 12, 2016
cool

1 Like

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by OZAOEKPE(f): 4:25pm On Jul 12, 2016
Sorry to my Fiancee-in-advance, no marriage till the economy is fixed cool

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by ChappyChase: 4:25pm On Jul 12, 2016
My uncle makes plastics, right now he is planing to move to Togo!!!! shocked shocked.
So like John the Baptist, I ask Nigerians and APC "is Buhari the Messiah or are we to expect Another"

70 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 12, 2016
Change!

2 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by Akinz0126(m): 4:27pm On Jul 12, 2016
E don apen ever since this man came on board it's has been from one kasala to the other gbegae Him dey try the masses, and d masses dey see make people wey dey closer to ram better tell am make him match am dere now.

10 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by angelo5uk(m): 4:27pm On Jul 12, 2016
Next time when these poliTHIEFcians(Buhari and Jonathan Inclusive) start screaming CHANGE again.... Nigeria will ask what kind of change it is.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jul 12, 2016
Berlyn:

Please y'al should ignore the poster above me.. I'm the first to comment angry angry
Where's ur certificate of ownership?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by Honza27(m): 4:28pm On Jul 12, 2016

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jul 12, 2016
OZAOEKPE:
Sorry to my Fiancee-in-advance, no marriage till the economy is fixed cool
dont allow the 'EFFECT of CHANGE stop you from getting married grin angry

1 Like

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by henryagori(m): 4:29pm On Jul 12, 2016
Those who voted for change would not admit it dat they have done a great mistake, they continue saying its a gradual process, especially those yoruba muslims they talk rubbish wen they dont know anything about d quran

50 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by maxzzo1(m): 4:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
When u ve an empty head as president what do u expect

15 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
DavidGodwin:

Where's ur certificate of ownership?
i'm coming lipsrsealed undecided

6 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by ElSakina: 4:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
That's d kinda change Xperienced in 1984.
#IstandwitPMB

7 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by princechurchill(m): 4:31pm On Jul 12, 2016
nigeria is now the capital of calamity tanx to that old grandpa

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by BlackSeptember: 4:31pm On Jul 12, 2016
Berlyn:

u need to go back to romance section

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jul 12, 2016
We dumped Goodluck jonathan for Badluck buhari.

Even analysts don tire to analyse. Its like the problems just keep coming non stop. This one needs prayers

26 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jul 12, 2016
Naija don cast o. Everybody find your way cry cry

7 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by gbadexy(m): 4:31pm On Jul 12, 2016
It's affecting all aspects of manufacturing in nigeria.
Not only power and fuel, cost of imported raw materials for production has gone up over 50% and it being high increases cost of goods but you can't increase price much.
I can boldly say most manufacturers are making around 50% less profit then they were making even with the increase in price compared to when the dollars was N197.

10 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by Nawa4nl: 4:32pm On Jul 12, 2016

[size=18pt]CHANGE?[/size]

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by todayboy: 4:32pm On Jul 12, 2016
In the word of the greatest governor of our time fayose

BUHARI WILL END UP EATING ALL THOSE THAT VOTED FOR HIM

34 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 12, 2016
zombies will say "let them go,we will manage"

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 12, 2016
Giving the present situation of things the present finance team should consider their approach in solving our economics woes. After one year it seems that the approach adopted is not working very fine for us and I truly do not see anything wrong with either re-strategize or inviting capable hands to run the economy.

2 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by Ryabcool(m): 4:35pm On Jul 12, 2016
Adesiji77:
Similarly, capacity utilisation in the nation’s manufacturing sector continued to drop from its low record of about 50 per cent following poor gas supply to industrial layouts from Transmission Company of Nigeria.
Indeed, the power sector in the last few weeks had been at the mercy of militants who blew up gas facilities and further jeopardised the Federal Government’s plan to add another 6000 Mega Watts (MW) by July.
FG is trying to add 6000 MW, militants are bombing pipelines. And the supporters of the militants are the same ones blaming Buhari for the bad economy. Why SW still feels the need to be lax about pushing for Regionalism and geopolitical self sustenance is beyond me.

7 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by Standing5(m): 4:35pm On Jul 12, 2016
Harsh reality is the hardship of today isn't a result of today's decision or that of 18 months ago. It takes yrs for policies to reflect in the economy. Why won't the manufacturer go when oil and gas marketters have cabals that maintain high prices of their service. Power in india is stable and goes for around N25/kwh while our own is unstable and on the verge of hitting N50/kwh .

3 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by OZAOEKPE(f): 4:35pm On Jul 12, 2016
Berlyn:
dont allow the 'EFFECT of CHANGE stop you from getting married grin angry
Bag of tomatoes is now #43,000 *CRYING*

3 Likes

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by temptnow: 4:37pm On Jul 12, 2016
Fg I hail o

Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by Figs(m): 4:39pm On Jul 12, 2016
One day one palava
Re: Manufacturers Contemplate Exit As Production Cost Rises By Over 50% by hotspec(m): 4:39pm On Jul 12, 2016
See Gbege

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pics Of Billionaire Harry Akande / Anybody With Info About Mandilas In Lagos Island / Full Statement Of Godwin Emefiele On AbokiFX (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.