Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,963 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of (26239 Views)

BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents / 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology / Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by clevadani: 1:44pm On Jul 12, 2016
I just found out that the "O" in BODMAS doesn't stand for of instead, it stands for ORDER. Naija teachers sha. Many years of false info.
It is a trending topic on twitter now

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by shyling(f): 1:47pm On Jul 12, 2016
The original order of operations in most countries was BODMAS, which stands for Brackets, Orders or pOwers, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction. The O is sometimes associated with Of. This mnemonic was common until exponentials were added into the mnemonic.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by shyling(f): 1:47pm On Jul 12, 2016
Order of operations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/.../Order_of_ ...
Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by femolacqua(m): 1:52pm On Jul 12, 2016
Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by Juxtified(m): 2:02pm On Jul 12, 2016
I was taught it meant "of" and that gave me very good results anytime I applied it. Come to think of it, "order or power" would have been much more confusing. So I thank my Primary 6 teacher Mr. Idemudia for making it easy for me

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by RobinHez(m): 3:05pm On Jul 12, 2016
O Orders (i.e. Powers and Square Roots, etc.)

shocked shocked
Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by loomer: 3:57pm On Jul 12, 2016
No be person wey go school nai go know BODMAS?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by acenazt: 4:21pm On Jul 12, 2016
Even with the Of I still dey fail math.

6 Likes

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by prof800(m): 4:26pm On Jul 12, 2016
acenazt:
Even with the Of I still dey fail math.
hehehe.... and now dem con add "Order" join.!
grin grin

These people got no chill. grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by TyrantInAsoRock: 4:34pm On Jul 12, 2016
loomer:
No be person wey go school nai go know BODMAS?
.guy. I beg no dey abuse my President

1 Like

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by DozieInc(m): 4:47pm On Jul 12, 2016
What is BODMAS?!,

O is for Of .

1 Like

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by dillycool(f): 4:54pm On Jul 12, 2016
Never knew

1 Like

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by loomer: 5:12pm On Jul 12, 2016
TyrantInAsoRock:
.guy. I beg no dey abuse my President

Na you talk so, me no call president, or even country for the matter o.

By the way, na which president u dey talk about?

1 Like

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by xtophy(m): 5:47pm On Jul 12, 2016
den it means all my calculations all dis while were actually WRONG
Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by alex81(m): 5:50pm On Jul 12, 2016
op two raps of EBA for u.grin
Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by pendusky(m): 6:13pm On Jul 12, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by Akious2k2(m): 6:18pm On Jul 12, 2016
But wait o...
Does dat mean it's no more 1/2 "of" 10, it's now 1/2 "Order" 10

1 Like

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by fr3do(m): 6:49pm On Jul 12, 2016
are you serious!
Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by Cauchy01(m): 6:52pm On Jul 12, 2016
Op pls where does 'order' comes in, for this question: 1/2 of (2/3 + 1/3)
Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by fr3do(m): 6:54pm On Jul 12, 2016
Akious2k2:
But wait o...
Does dat mean it's no more 1/2 "of" 10, it's now 1/2 "Order" 10

mba, that 'of' is nothing other than another way of saying multiply

103 is 10 in the order of 3, or 10 raised to the power 3, which is 10*10*10
Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by hUmaneOne: 6:55pm On Jul 12, 2016
we've all been living a lie.

Like this

1 Like

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by fr3do(m): 6:59pm On Jul 12, 2016
Cauchy01:
Op pls where does 'order' comes in, for this question: 1/2 of (2/3 + 1/3)

fr3do:

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by Akious2k2(m): 7:16pm On Jul 12, 2016
fr3do:

But way back, u have a fraction dat actually has "Of". Does dat mean there's not suppose 2 b "Of" in it?
As per d power/Exponent, we may even have 2 do dat b/4 d bracket, in case we have it inside d bracket
Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by haconjy(m): 7:27pm On Jul 12, 2016
A list, I teach maths in school...
If 'o' does not mean of probably X, why does it work with the calculation?
Order of operations is the topic why bodmas is subtopic under maths...
why is it then that through out the world of maths textbook have seen o stand for of?
lastly, brother are u saying the educational board in Nigeria are ignorance of this yet no one come out to prove this? where is your source?
For me, order might be of o, but still OF or Orders still stands for multiplication. bros, any number in power or orders will still be calculated with X...MULTIPLICATION...
YOU NEVER CONVINCE ME WITH THIS

2 Likes

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by leahcimzil: 7:36pm On Jul 12, 2016
xtophy:
den it means all my calculations all dis while were actually WRONG
No sir, they aren't. It is actually applicable to both Order and Of. Try explaining what Order means to a primary school pupil.
Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by leahcimzil: 7:40pm On Jul 12, 2016
haconjy:
A list, I teaches maths in school...
of o does not why does it work with the calculation?
order of operations is the topic why bodmas is subtopic under maths...
why is it then that through out the world of maths textbook have seen o stand for of?
lastly, brother are u saying the educational board in Nigeria are ignorance of this yet no one come out to prove this? where is your source?
For me, order might be of o, but still OF or Orders still stands for multiplication. bros, any number in power or orders will still be calculated with X...MULTIPLICATION...
YOU NEVER CONVINCE ME WITH THIS
Thank God it's math you TEACHES, not English

6 Likes

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by TyrantInAsoRock: 7:43pm On Jul 12, 2016
loomer:

Na you talk so, me no call president, or even country for the matter o.
By the way, na which president u dey talk about?
Let's leave it lyk that ooo
Before they will bombard me
Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by BlackHummer(m): 7:54pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omo, it keeps getting better everyday. Just recently, I heard that 'sanda lee lee sanda lee, sanda lee sanda lee, there was a doctor in my...' Was actually standard living, standard living...chai Naija teachers will not kill us oh
Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by fr3do(m): 8:05pm On Jul 12, 2016
Akious2k2:

But way back, u have a fraction dat actually has "Of". Does dat mean there's not suppose 2 b "Of" in it?
As per d power/Exponent, we may even have 2 do dat b/4 d bracket, in case we have it inside d bracket

4 is half of 8, 1/2 of 8=4
'of' is used most times with fractions, it sounds better to say half of 8 rather than half times 8.

doing the bracket first actually starts with simplifying what is inside the bracket, if it an order, it will be simplified.

Brethren, step aside all doubts and receive the gospel.
Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by horlamelekan(m): 9:10pm On Jul 12, 2016
So the O in BODMAS stands for "orders" and not "of", We want our school fees back

3 Likes

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by AntiWailer: 9:24pm On Jul 12, 2016
Juxtified:
I were taught it meant "of" and that gave me very good results anytime I applied it. Come to think of it, "order or power" would have been much more confusing. So I thank my Primary 6 teacher Mr. Idemudia for making it easy for me

Hope Mr. Idemudia did not teach you English language ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of by Abra4real(m): 9:27pm On Jul 12, 2016
This should be on the front page.

Cc: lalasticlala, Seun, Mynd44, omenka

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unilag Releases 2018/2019 Admission Cut-off (pics) / Lagos Police: Two Autopsies Showed Sylvester Oromoni Died Naturally: Video / Robbers Molest University Of Calabar Student To Coma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.