Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,123 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:33 AM

Should Borussia Dortmund Retain Serbian Neven Subotic? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Should Borussia Dortmund Retain Serbian Neven Subotic? (493 Views)

Serbian Barber Carves Lionel Messi Headshot For Fans At N64,000 Per Head / Anthony Joshua Beats Carlos Takam To Retain Heavyweight Title / DOWNLOAD VIDEO: Borussia Dortmund Vs Real Madrid 1-3 UEFA Highlights & Goals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Should Borussia Dortmund Retain Serbian Neven Subotic? by luciomoggi(m): 12:38pm On Jul 13, 2016
By Ewah Chika.

Two Bundesliga titles and one DFB-Pokal trophy are what Serbian Neven Subotic have won during his time in Rhur. Subotic's first European club was Mainz where he made 34 league appearances scoring four goals before his former coach at Mainz (Jurgen Klopp) upon taking over in Dortmund convinced him to join the club in 2008.

Under Klopp, Subotic became one of the world best's in his central defensive position forming one of the most impressive defensive pairings with MattvHummels all through their time together at the club and especially in 2008 when Dortmund conceded 37 goals in 34 Bundesliga games which was second to Schalke's 35. All these changed after the exit of Klopp in 2015 summer, even though Subotic gradually lost form after his cruciate ligament injury in 2013 which kept him out of the game for six months.

Under Tuchel, Subotic has rarely seen game time as he played only five Bundesliga games and five Europa League games last season even though he missed 10 Bundesliga games as a result of a back injury . At Dortmund, Tuchel prefers Matt Hummels and Sokratis Papastathopoulos in central defence or the likes of Sven Bender who naturally plays defensive midfield, Matthias Ginter who plays right back and Erik Durm as his central defenders. What this means is that the aforementioned players are ranked ahead of Subotic making him 5th choice in central defence which is the reason for his poor game time.

Subotic does not look like a player that features in the plans of the former Mainz coach. This is difficult to fathom considering he has the aggression and positional sense to compliment Hummel's grace and intelligence. The defender is a right sided central defender and is one with an affable character and intense loyalty. After suffering the disgrace of not even making the 18 man list on match days last season the Serbian has made it known publicly in June that he is ready to depart the Ruhr club this summer as his love for the game will not allow him continue in this manner.

"I've come to realise over the last year that my love for football and for my active role on the pitch is too big to just follow events from outside.

"I don't want to earn my money in the bench, but rather want to be an active part of a story as was the case until last year.

"I am at the best footballing age (27) right now and want to use that time to further myself and my club and to have the feeling to be needed on the pitch and be able to give it my all for the club," Subotic concluded .

This means that Dortmund will be forced to sell him this season considering his chances of making the starting eleven is limited and his unwillingness to stay on the bench. In total he has appeared 192 times for Dortmund scoring an impressive 15 goals and has played eight out of his eight and half professional seasons under Klopp.

It is not out of place to speculate that his next destination will be the English Premiership considering his statement in April, "I can still imagine playing in a league someday which rates physical football . The game in England is tougher, more aggressive and more physical in a sportsman like sense . As a centre-back I don't always want to fear just touching an opponent."
However, It will not take time before every Premier league club is linked with the talented defender who is in his prime but one thing is certain from his story and that is , "Nothing is certain in football and no one ever envisaged Neven Subotic will so soon become surplus to requirements in Borussia Dortmund".

Source

http://mailtelegraph..com/2016/07/should-borussia-dortmund-retain-serbian.html#more

(1) (Reply)

Transit From Gambling To Investment / Ronaldo Deserves To Win Ballon D'or / Football Players Wanted(europe)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.