Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,551 members, 7,840,318 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? (10770 Views)

Why You Should Not Laminate Certificates And Other Vital Documents / Attend This Training And Get A Guaranteed Full Time Job ( 75k To 120k Salary) / Attend This Training And Get A Guaranteed Full Time Job ( 75k To 120k Salary) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by bigiyaro(m): 8:37am On Jul 14, 2016
B4 b4 any kind of certificate na guaranteed meal and extra plate ticket, infact in the 60s,70s and 80s, jst go any tin wey resemble school n ur ticket is waiting for u. However jst like dem talk am, change is constant, jst as the world shift from communism to capitalism and globalization, i guess d world is shifting from certificate to problem solving abilities.
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by italkmoses(m): 8:44am On Jul 14, 2016
2dugged:
op,since you have mentioned going into business, I would like suggestions of a business I can start with #200k and expand later and it should be a business that will not be affected by this current economic recession

There are a couple of businesses you can consider especially with the amount you have proposed. Mini Importation, Online Reselling are good examples.
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by Nobody: 8:47am On Jul 14, 2016
italkmoses:

There are a couple of businesses you can consider especially with the amount you have proposed. Mini Importation, Online Reselling are good examples.
mini importation is a big word, importation of what?, reselling of what?, so many businesses are affected by the current recession
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by italkmoses(m): 8:48am On Jul 14, 2016
InvertedHammer:
/
It is a deceptive illusion.

Certificate is just a way to thin out the herd.

Education means to acquire knowledge and not to acquire certificate. Wealth is power and the most formally educated are not the most powerful. Bill Gates and Zuckerberg have no formal college certificates but they acquired knowledge.

Some certificates are not worth the papers they are written on. But the illusion must continue.

Millions of Ph.D holders in Nigeria but Buhari is the president. Do I need to say more?

\

Well said, couldn't agree less...
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by seguno2: 8:54am On Jul 14, 2016
Deceptive illusion and waste of money plus time.
Better to FIRST use small money and short time to acquire a skill and start making money before deciding whether more formal education is necessary.
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by Dkunlexy1(m): 8:55am On Jul 14, 2016
2dugged:
well that is why I have brought it to Nairaland, people keep saying go into business or learn a skill but the truth is out there it's not easy, if I decide to open a Salon,after renting a shop and buying equipments,I have to think of how to get steady power supply, think of how to pay tax which sometimes is double from both state and local government,how much will I make a month for store rent,house rent,feeding, and other miscellaneous expenses
start from your home
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by Nobody: 8:59am On Jul 14, 2016
Dkunlexy1:
start from your home
read this again and ask yourself if you made any sense by quoting me, not all threads are meant to display stupidity,stfu if you have nothing reasonable to say
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by bagginwa(m): 9:03am On Jul 14, 2016
yes ooh nice one there at moses...

1 Like

Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by bigideal: 9:24am On Jul 14, 2016
reverendfather:
it's funny when people talk about education, especially tertiary graduates. you'd think it's a place where you get to build up your self, not knowing it's actually a place where students get to memorize books upon books upon books, that they'll eventually forget a year after graduation.

tertiary education in Nigeria is overrated
I was a student of self help books before I got admitted to the university. I thought I will learn something new when I get to school but I was highly disappointed.
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by FunmyKemmy(f): 9:33am On Jul 14, 2016
cool.
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by prodiG(m): 9:43am On Jul 14, 2016
AmuEwu:
Fuuuuuuuck

Gotze done score for extra time.

Make Argentina try equalize before them go lose this world Cup finals
*Checks date* shocked
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by DeRay98(m): 10:16am On Jul 14, 2016
reverendfather:
it's funny when people talk about education, especially tertiary graduates. you'd think it's a place where you get to build up your self, not knowing it's actually a place where students get to memorize books upon books upon books, that they'll eventually forget a year after graduation. tertiary education in Nigeria is overrated

"i[b]t's actually a place where students get to memorize books upon books upon books, that they'll eventually forget a year after graduation."[/b]

University education in Nigeria is not about mind development but ability to memorize and score high as the lecturers are lazy.
The difference btw the '60s. '70s Early '80s and now in job availability is that then, the economy was strong and diversified enough for the population of the country. But as the population grew, there was no proportional growth in the economy to keep up with the number of educated(graduands) emerging from the schools. Agriculture and other industries were abandoned as oil began to role out "ready-made" dollars for the rulers, impunity gradually grew in leaps and bounds as there was no punitive measures to curb the corruption especially in civil service.
Banks gave out loans to powerful influential people who never repaid their loans but lived large on borrowed money, lack of prosecution for such crimes committed by "the above the law" people killed many banks and the economy ended up in the bellies of such V.I.Ps.
They didn't create jobs to support govt to grow the economy that's how we got here.
Can you imagine if most of MKO Abiola's companies, Chief Igbinedion's companies like "Canada Dry" which competed stiffly with Coka Cola in Bendel in the '70s-'80s, Okada Air which had already become national carrier for some African countries then. Many other companies owned by Northern business men, Eastern businessmen, Delta today would have had some of the biggest Private and govt companies after they split from Edo (Bendel). These companies would have become exporters of large scale produce and products to earn forex. But they all died with their founders and subsequent govt ignored them as Oil was available for easy "take-away" .
A company that had 50 staff strenght in the '80s should 've by now be employing thousands of young people and the multiplier effect...
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by ednut1(m): 10:20am On Jul 14, 2016
banmee:

Times have not changed. Nigeria has always been like this.

@italkmoses, your dad lied to you. All you need do is listen to fela's songs and compare with what is happening today in Nigeria. Also check out the year of the release of the songs. You'll find that nothing has changed since independence.
his dad did not lie. My dad still has a photocopy of d offer he got from a automobile coy which is still waxing strong today. As he was about rounding up his hnd. Graduates in d 70s nd 80s. Had 2-3 offer waiting for dem after school
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by banmee(m): 10:25am On Jul 14, 2016
ednut1:
his dad did not lie. My dad still has a photocopy of d offer he got from a automobile coy which is still waxing strong today. As he was about rounding up his hnd. Graduates in d 70s nd 80s. Had 2-3 offer waiting for dem after school

So because your dad got a job after college means the country was ok abi? So graduates today don't get jobs at all after graduation. You realise that there was a coup from the 60's to the 80's in Nigeria? Does that sound like a country which was normal?
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by humbledbyfaith(m): 10:30am On Jul 14, 2016
InvertedHammer:
/
It is a deceptive illusion.

Certificate is just a way to thin out the herd.

Education means to acquire knowledge and not to acquire certificate. Wealth is power and the most formally educated are not the most powerful. Bill Gates and Zuckerberg have no formal college certificates but they acquired knowledge.

Some certificates are not worth the papers they are written on. But the illusion must continue.

Millions of Ph.D holders in Nigeria but Buhari is the president. Do I need to say more?

\
Good morning dear.

sent you a mail since yesterday..
have a great day..
Regards smiley
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by InvertedHammer: 10:49am On Jul 14, 2016
humbledbyfaith:
Good morning dear.

sent you a mail since yesterday..
have a great day..
Regards smiley

I just saw it
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by italkmoses(m): 10:51am On Jul 14, 2016
DeRay98:

"i[b]t's actually a place where students get to memorize books upon books upon books, that they'll eventually forget a year after graduation."[/b]

University education in Nigeria is not about mind development but ability to memorize and score high as the lecturers are lazy.
The difference btw the '60s. '70s Early '80s and now in job availability is that then, the economy was strong and diversified enough for the population of the country. But as the population grew, there was no proportional growth in the economy to keep up with the number of educated(graduands) emerging from the schools. Agriculture and other industries were abandoned as oil began to role out "ready-made" dollars for the rulers, impunity gradually grew in leaps and bounds as there was no punitive measures to curb the corruption especially in civil service.
Banks gave out loans to powerful influential people who never repaid their loans but lived large on borrowed money, lack of prosecution for such crimes committed by "the above the law" people killed many banks and the economy ended up in the bellies of such V.I.Ps.
They didn't create jobs to support govt to grow the economy that's how we got here.
Can you imagine if most of MKO Abiola's companies, Chief Igbinedion's companies like "Canada Dry" which competed stiffly with Coka Cola in Bendel in the '70s-'80s, Okada Air which had already become national carrier for some African countries then. Many other companies owned by Northern business men, Eastern businessmen, Delta today would have had some of the biggest Private and govt companies after they split from Edo (Bendel). These companies would have become exporters of large scale produce and products to earn forex. But they all died with their founders and subsequent govt ignored them as Oil was available for easy "take-away" .
A company that had 50 staff strenght in the '80s should 've by now be employing thousands of young people and the multiplier effect...

Many thanks for your intervention...

1 Like

Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by ednut1(m): 10:52am On Jul 14, 2016
banmee:

So because your dad got a job after college means the country was ok abi? So graduates today don't get jobs at all after graduation. You realise that there was a coup from the 60's to the 80's in Nigeria? Does that sound like a country which was normal?
dats not wat am saying jor. Ask pple dat graduated in dat era abeg. Pple get job too today bt wetin ur eye go see with d numerous tests nd interviews. If dat unilag 5.0 guy graduated in 1982 hin levels for don change den dan now
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by 400billionman: 10:53am On Jul 14, 2016
ednut1:
All these are just signs of end Times cheesy. Times have changed. Person gogo UK go spend 7m on masters yet come back to dey hustle job with pple with only bsc dey write shl nd dragnet upandan. E go beta

N7m can buy land and build a bungalow.

N7m can open several businesses.
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by 2sexynet: 10:56am On Jul 14, 2016
italkmoses:

I greet you Bros. I didn't even know that the post made frontpage. Truly, Formal Certificates are overated. People need to know this.
Another thing to take into cognizance is the mere reasoning that before the establishments of formal education, by extension, schooling system as we have in today's world, there were men who were successful without going to school. They applied certain principles that made them successful in their time. I do not think those principles have been extincted but there was failure of transition, integration and propagation when the schooling system was established which could/would have seen those principles being taught in our curricular.

2 Likes

Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by banmee(m): 11:09am On Jul 14, 2016
ednut1:
dats not wat am saying jor. Ask pple dat graduated in dat era abeg. Pple get job too today bt wetin ur eye go see with d numerous tests nd interviews. If dat unilag 5.0 guy graduated in 1982 hin levels for don change den dan now

I just can't understand Nigerians. Knowledge is a problem even when the means of getting it is widely available. Another problem is they are too used to what i call "the suffer condition" too easily. How can you have a coup in;

1. 1966. Twice

2. 1975.

3. 1976.

4. 1983.

5. 1990.

6. 1993. . . . . . .And still believe Nigeria would thrive. With all this, some people actually believe that Nigeria was great and that things were ok in the country. How is this possible? There are even people today who say GEJ was a wonderful president and that things were great during his presidency. Another symptom of the suffer condition. One of the most incompetent leaders we ever had is widely praised as a "great man". Nigerians truly deserve the condition they are in today. I swear. Smh.

1 Like

Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by Ugosample(m): 12:59pm On Jul 14, 2016
oglalasioux:
The problem with us is over population without the corresponding plans to cushion it. Back in the 60s to early 80s the population was manageable until the explosion of the last three decades.

The infrastructure to handle the population is the bane of the problems we have. Our leaders fill their pockets instead of planning for the future while we, the populace, go on to sire more children and marry as many wives as possible.

Stigma against unmarried people, criminality of abortion, bad child adoption system, discrimination against same sex marriages and celebrating many children as a blessing from God are some of the reasons our population will burst at the seams in the near future unless we change our mindset. If not, what we are experiencing today in black Africa will be picnic to what future generations will face.

I agree with most of what you have said.

1 Like

Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by Ugosample(m): 1:01pm On Jul 14, 2016
DeRay98:

*doffs my hat*
This is an intelligent piece

1 Like

Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 14, 2016
onyenze123:

In the age of fastlinks of the internet, going to school is negotiable. It's time we started taking applied and practical knowledge serious not all these obsolete theories being taught at our various institution.
Broz I respect ur reasoning. Its only here in Nigeria and other less developed parts of the word that we tend to undermine the real essence of education and skill sets and then replace such with red and black painted papers [ certificates ]. In reality!! we tend not to care, even if the person bearing the certificate is as light headed as a balloon or as slow as a pig. He might even be a simpleton for all we care!!! Moreover, Its high time we Nigerian youths equiped ourselves with skill sets, be job creators and not just seekers. There'r simply no jobs out there both for the certified and uncertified. Even the mastered and the phdified are feeling the pinches.
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jul 14, 2016
Right from the time immemorial any prospective better future life premised on acquired abstract (paper certificate) formal academic education has always ended up in a delusion of grandeur. As the saying goes the end justifies the means.

Truth is that many a time most people have always misrepresent what true education is. Well, concrete knowledge is superior to abstract knowledge. And guess what; concrete knowledge can be acquired through either formal or informal education. In fact the surest means to acquire concrete knowledge is through informal education backed with self and continuous education (reading, research and innovation)... reading, researching and innovation are not alien to any humanrace, because before the arrival of the whites, our forefathers had known education in their own cultural way. However in this world of globalization, a quality basic westernized academic pattern is necessary; at least up to primary level, this is necessary for easy global integration of the individual. Quality matters a lot in anything.

Meanwhile, when people talk about how rosy life was for the graduates of the yester-decades I laugh, because most of them in my boyhood enclave has at most 504 or 505 Peugeot cars and squared 5 bedroom bungalows as their biggest lifetime material achievements! SMH.

3 Likes

Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jul 14, 2016
Noel1:
Broz I respect ur reasoning. Its only here in Nigeria and other less developed parts of the word that we tend to undermine the real essence of education and skill sets and then replace such with red and black painted papers [ certificates ]. In reality!! we tend not to care, even if the person bearing the certificate is as light headed as a balloon or as slow as a pig. He might even be a simpleton for all we care!!! Moreover, Its high time we Nigerian youths equiped ourselves with skill sets, be job creators and not just seekers. There'r simply no jobs out there both for the certified and uncertified. Even the mastered and the phdified are feeling the pinches.

FACT!!!
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by Cnachy(m): 3:20pm On Jul 14, 2016
ednut1:
All these are just signs of end Times cheesy. Times have changed. Person gogo UK go spend 7m on masters yet come back to dey hustle job with pple with only bsc dey write shl nd dragnet upandan. E go beta
Me go abroad spend 7m and come back to dis country? I dey craze? I dey mad? something dey worry me?
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by 2sexynet: 3:27pm On Jul 14, 2016
2dugged:
read this again and ask yourself if you made any sense by quoting me, not all threads are meant to display stupidity,stfu if you have nothing reasonable to say
grin grin grin grin grin your blood dey hot ooo. Everyone is affected and I wouldn't lie because of the high exchange rate I refused to invest some money.
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 14, 2016
2sexynet:
grin grin grin grin grin your blood dey hot ooo. Everyone is affected and I wouldn't lie because of the high exchange rate I refused to invest some money.
I need a business that I can atleast be confident that tomorrow it won't fold up and I end up eating from my mum's pot
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by 2sexynet: 5:00pm On Jul 14, 2016
2dugged:
I need a business that I can atleast be confident that tomorrow it won't fold up and I end up eating from my mum's pot
I understand. Brick and Mortar business is not EASY. Business in Nigeria is a tough job.
Re: Formal Certificates- A Guaranteed Meal Ticket Or A Deceptive Illusion? by humbledbyfaith(m): 5:01pm On Jul 14, 2016
InvertedHammer:

I just saw it
Good evening sir..
i sent a mail.. Best regards smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Workforce Group Assessment Gbagada / Interview At A College Of Education / Faan Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.