Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,477 members, 7,850,656 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:49 AM

Religion Vs Humanity? The Big Question. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion Vs Humanity? The Big Question. (530 Views)

Femi Owolabi: "Pastors Use Tithes And Offerings For Humanity" / Religion Vs Celibacy... / Religion Vs Intelligence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion Vs Humanity? The Big Question. by temmytee007(m): 10:08am On Jul 17, 2016
Now I should first of all make a clear statement to the fact that i'm certainly a Christian and a liberal one, so that after reading through this article, religious fanatics won't call for my head or maybe rain all sought of abuses on me for speaking what on my innocent mind......

Now to what i have to say to nigerians both to the two main religious fanatics as well as the deity believers not excluding the luckwarm and other forms of religious pratices we have in Nigeria. I think We need a total reformation as far as Nigeria is concerned. A proper education, and from my little M and E, the millions of churches and mosques are not doing the job, at least from my point of view. Social welfare is key! If we were all convinced that at least the basics like in most countries would be made available, we wouldn’t even be bothered with all the extremism and folly we display over religion. If Eunice’s slayers had maybe a graduate-welfare programme (assuming they were jobless), that paid them handsomely, with loads of housing and travel bonuses, given that they are from Africa’s biggest nation, they would look forward to life. Trust me, they would simply call the police to come pick her up. If Eunice in turn, had an amazingly paying job, she would be knackered from the previous day’s work’s hustle and bustle and wouldn’t even be out of bed by that time of the day. If she ever wants to dabble into evangelism (which I strongly doubt she would), she would simply sponsor gigantic LED billboards with the message of Christ boldly displayed (not the dates and venue of the next crusade), everybody would be happy, especially as these do not emit noise. I still maintain Eunice shouldn’t have been killed. If you are still in doubt, give me the names of just two popular CEOs that are into megaphone evangelism. Just two. They are neither ghosts nor atheists. They are driven by setting goals and leaving legacies behind, not boredom and poverty, that is why we do not find them on the streets.

Religion has actually caused more harm than good in Nigeria. From my point of view, this has nothing to do with religion itself but everything to do with the pictures Nigerians paint about who God is supposed to be and look like. God is everywhere I am told, but it’s always a nightmare driving home from work every first Friday in Lagos. The roads are congested because people want to travel miles to attend a service that would go live on air. I am yet to wrap my head around this one. Did God’s omnipresence disappear into thin air that you can’t follow the service someplace else? You can’t blame them too for all the sheepish following. What do you expect from a nation that celebrates 3 hours of constant power? It would take a miracle for businesses to thrive. People are hungry and have been told the witch in their village is the cause. I can’t fault them on this one. However, dearest head of churches, it is time to do something that looks like a legacy. Have you thought of collaborating with the government over a railway and speed trains, maybe? I wouldn’t even mind if you employ only members of your congregation as staff. That’s fine by me. Just do something. Anything. Oh I forgot, uncle has to buy a private jet and build schools we all can’t attend. Ah, my ever failing memory. Just before you tell me, ‘touch not my anointed’, may I remind you that you and I are anointed too and have been ‘touched’ by the delay in our regular hours for commuting.

I am in awe too when I hear what the uneducated muslims have come to believe. How is it that they don’t see that fellow muslims of the elite class don’t really follow these rules? They are never there in the physical fights as well. It still boils down to the fact that people with a life can’t be bothered.

We were given commonsense for a reason. All we need do is apply it. We should be calling for criminals to be brought to book and not sweeping things under the carpet calling it martyrdom and saying ‘God knows best’. He does know best and wants you to be alive. Spend less time praying for your enemy to ‘fall and die’, and channel it into being productive, or don’t you think your enemy’s death caused by you is blood on your hands?

Hugs and kisses,

grin grin *disclaimer* no laptop or writing gadget was damaged at the time of writing this article grin grin

1 Like

Re: Religion Vs Humanity? The Big Question. by locosis007(m): 10:19am On Jul 17, 2016
Humanity + God = RELIGION.

STRICTLY
Re: Religion Vs Humanity? The Big Question. by bayulll01(m): 10:30am On Jul 17, 2016
What we pratice in nigeria is zombiesm and not religion, or how can you explain the fact that people kill their fellow human just becos he\she is not in the same religious view as theirs, or explain how our religious leader live large but their loyal hardly live comfortably with 2dollars per day....
good article there as alway temmytee
Re: Religion Vs Humanity? The Big Question. by winner01(m): 10:32am On Jul 17, 2016
Re: Religion Vs Humanity? The Big Question. by AMONIBIA(m): 11:40am On Jul 17, 2016
We Nigerians are so confused about what is spiritual problems and economic problems.
From my studies I realised that Nigerians are so religious because they confuse economic problem to spiritual problem. That's why all we get is just religion. No godliness at all.

And when it comes to using common sense, religious people will say 'don't use your canal knowledge'
Re: Religion Vs Humanity? The Big Question. by bayulll01(m): 1:48pm On Jul 17, 2016
AMONIBIA:
We Nigerians are so confused about what is spiritual problems and economic problems.
From my studies I realised that Nigerians are so religious because they confuse economic problem to spiritual problem. That's why all we get is just religion. No godliness at all.

And when it comes to using common sense, religious people will say 'don't use your canal knowledge'
Now that what i call the undisputed fact, western countries don't really go gaga because of religion because their govt has really put measures in place to ensure proper welfare of the citizen thereby making them no so serious about religion but here in this part of the world especially in nigeria, it is the other way round.

(1) (Reply)

The Love Of God Is Unconditional, But... / Lady Gaga’s Judas - Spreading The Occult Gospel / How Old Was Mary When Jesus Was Born

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.