Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,886 members, 7,817,611 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Is This Verse Supporting Premarital Sex? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is This Verse Supporting Premarital Sex? (1459 Views)

Four Powerful Reasons You Must Run From Premarital Sex On Valentine's Day / I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? / Premarital Sex: What Is Your View As A Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Verse Supporting Premarital Sex? by MrImole: 10:49am On Jul 17, 2016
I'm confused, I need men of God in the house to please school me.
The verse is 1corinthians 7:36

New International Version

If anyone is worried that he might not be acting honorably toward the virgin he is engaged to, and if his passions are too strong and he feels he ought to marry, he should do as he wants. He is not sinning. They should get married.

New Living Translation

But if a man thinks that he's treating his fiancee improperly and will inevitably give in to his passion, let him marry her as he wishes. It is not a sin.

English Standard Version

If anyone thinks that he is not behaving properly toward his betrothed, if his passions are strong, and it has to be, let him do as he wishes: let them marry—it is no sin.

Berean Study Bible

However, if someone thinks he is acting inappropriately toward his betrothed, and if she is beyond her youth and they ought to marry, let him do as he wishes; he is not sinning; they should get married.

Berean Literal Bible

But if anyone supposes to be behaving improperly to his virgin, if she is beyond youth, and it ought to be so, let him do what he wills; he does not sin; let them marry.

New American Standard Bible

But if any man thinks that he is acting unbecomingly toward his virgin daughter, if she is past her youth, and if it must be so, let him do what he wishes, he does not sin; let her marry.

King James Bible

But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry.

Holman Christian Standard Bible

But if any man thinks he is acting improperly toward his virgin, if she is past marriageable age, and so it must be, he can do what he wants. He is not sinning; they can get married.

International Standard Version

If a man thinks he is not behaving properly toward his virgin, and if his passion is so strong that he feels he ought to marry her, let him do what he wants; he isn't sinning. Let them get married.

NET Bible

If anyone thinks he is acting inappropriately toward his virgin, if she is past the bloom of youth and it seems necessary, he should do what he wishes; he does not sin. Let them marry.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English

But if a man thinks he is disgraced by his virgin who is past her time and he has not given her to a man, and it is fitting to give her as he chooses to do, he does not sin; she may be married.

GOD'S WORD® Translation

No father would want to do the wrong thing when his virgin daughter is old enough to get married. If she wants to get married, he isn't sinning by letting her get married.

New American Standard 1977

But if any man thinks that he is acting unbecomingly toward his virgin daughter, if she should be of full age, and if it must be so, let him do what he wishes, he does not sin; let her marry.

Jubilee Bible 2000

But if anyone thinks it uncomely regarding his daughter, if she passes the bloom of life, and need so requires, let him do what he will, he does not sin: let them marry.

King James 2000 Bible

But if any man think that he behaves himself improperly toward his virgin, if she pass the prime of her age, and need so require, let him do what he desires, he sins not: let them marry.

American King James Version

But if any man think that he behaves himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sins not: let them marry.

American Standard Version

But if any man thinketh that he behaveth himself unseemly toward his virgin daughter , if she be past the flower of her age, and if need so requireth, let him do what he will; he sinneth not; let them marry.

Douay-Rheims Bible

But if any man think that he seemeth dishonoured, with regard to his virgin, for that she is above the age, and it must so be: let him do what he will; he sinneth not, if she marry.

Darby Bible Translation

But if any one think that he behaves unseemly to his virginity, if he be beyond the flower of his age, and so it must be, let him do what he will, he does not sin: let them marry.

English Revised Version

But if any man thinketh that he behaveth himself unseemly toward his virgin daughter, if she be past the flower of her age, and if need so requireth, let him do what he will; he sinneth not; let them marry.

Webster's Bible Translation

But if any man thinketh that he behaveth himself uncomely towards his virgin, if she hath passed the flower of her age, and need so requireth, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry.

Weymouth New Testament

If, however, a father thinks he is acting unbecomingly towards his still unmarried daughter if she be past the bloom of her youth, and so the matter is urgent, let him do what she desires; he commits no sin; she and her suitor should be allowed to marry.

World English Bible

But if any man thinks that he is behaving inappropriately toward his virgin, if she is past the flower of her age, and if need so requires, let him do what he desires. He doesn't sin. Let them marry.

Young's Literal Translation

And if any one doth think it to be unseemly to his virgin, if she may be beyond the bloom of age, and it ought so to be, what he willeth let him do; he doth not sin -- let him marry.
Re: Is This Verse Supporting Premarital Sex? by MrImole: 11:12am On Jul 17, 2016
lalasticlala Seun Dominique mynd44
Re: Is This Verse Supporting Premarital Sex? by Davidson267(m): 11:32am On Jul 17, 2016
pastors in d house,over to you.
Re: Is This Verse Supporting Premarital Sex? by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 17, 2016
THAT CHAPTER AND VERSE IS INCONCLUSIVE!!!
Re: Is This Verse Supporting Premarital Sex? by MrImole: 11:43am On Jul 17, 2016
Bethor:
THAT CHAPTER AND VERSE IS INCONCLUSIVE!!!
How Sir?
Re: Is This Verse Supporting Premarital Sex? by drwebs: 11:58am On Jul 17, 2016
Going through the above scripture in the various translations, it's clear.

If you are engaged to your wife to be and she's a Virgin and you can't control your serial urge or attractions toward her, and she's above the age to be married, the Bible admonished that you should go ahead and marry her, for it is not sin.

Now it didn't say you should go ahead and make l*ve to her, but marry her.

The above scripture does not in any way encourage people to have premarital see at all.
It rather encourages us to marry to avoid premarital see especially if the woman is of age to marry.

6 Likes

Re: Is This Verse Supporting Premarital Sex? by zarakay(f): 12:35pm On Jul 17, 2016
pre marital sex = fornication

And those verses ain't supporting it

1 Like

Re: Is This Verse Supporting Premarital Sex? by MrImole: 1:58pm On Jul 17, 2016
zarakay:
pre marital sex = fornication
And those verses ain't supporting it
How?

Please tell me more.
Re: Is This Verse Supporting Premarital Sex? by zarakay(f): 2:24pm On Jul 17, 2016
MrImole:

How?

Please tell me more.

The Bible admonishes us to honour God with our bodies and it tells us to control our body in a way that is honourable and holy.

People at times quote the scriptures to suit themselves and at the same time our society is sex - saturated and people feel pressurised to be sexually active, and that is why they always come up with questions like this.

The Bible teaches self control rather than self indulgence. The privilege of having sex requires the commitment of marriage
Gal 5 vs 19-21
mark 7 vs 20-23

1 Like

Re: Is This Verse Supporting Premarital Sex? by MrImole: 2:35pm On Jul 17, 2016
Seun Lalasticlala Dominique

help me move this to front page.
Re: Is This Verse Supporting Premarital Sex? by psalmade(m): 5:21pm On Jul 17, 2016
Bro don't get it wrong at all. If an engaged man can longer control his urge, the Bible says they should get married once the lady of a marriage qualified age.
But wait, for you to think that the Bible would support premarital sex is really gross
Re: Is This Verse Supporting Premarital Sex? by elvision1(m): 9:46pm On Jul 17, 2016
I had read this part of the bible before but later knew what it meant. Translations could be misleading as we all know with our various indigenous languages. But nevertheless what this part of the scripture means is that, when you start BEHAVING UNHOLY towards her i.e : kissing,lustful looks, grabbing. My guy its konji warning you, just marry her.
Re: Is This Verse Supporting Premarital Sex? by aaccountable1: 11:06pm On Jul 17, 2016
elvision1:
I had read this part of the bible before but later knew what it meant. Translations could be misleading as we all know with our various indigenous languages. But nevertheless what this part of the scripture means is that, when you start BEHAVING UNHOLY towards her i.e : kissing,lustful looks, grabbing. My guy its konji warning you, just marry her.

if u have kissed and grabbed, what then is remaining
I don't advice that u wait until u kissed and grabbed. it starts in the heart......
Re: Is This Verse Supporting Premarital Sex? by elvision1(m): 11:33pm On Jul 17, 2016
aaccountable1:

if u have kissed and grabbed, what then is remaining
I don't advice that u wait until u kissed and grabbed. it starts in the heart......

the Eba is not complete until you have tasted the meat.

(1) (Reply)

American Relocating To Nigeria! / Profile Of Late Apst. Deb'rah Osagiese, Spirit & Life Bible Church Founder / The Devil Does Not Exist, The Devil Is Just A Pawn In The Game Of The Universe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.