Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,908 members, 7,814,070 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Why Do Christain Women Cover Their Hair In Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christain Women Cover Their Hair In Church? (602 Views)

Lady Mocks Women Who Think Attachment Is A Sin But Use Wool To Make Their Hair / What Gives You Joy As A Christain? / Why Do Most Ladies No Longer Cover Their Hair In Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Christain Women Cover Their Hair In Church? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jul 17, 2016
I seriously have a question that I would really like to gain insight about. I am not a Chirstian so I don't have a lot of knowledge about Christianity but I have had a lot of Christian friends - Catholics and Protestant mainly. Anyways let me go straight to the point.

I want to know why Christian women cover their hair in church?

There was also this girl who covered her hair all the time even though she was Christian, I don't know if she was Catholic or Protestant or Anglican etc but it had me wondering if it had a religious purpose.

Serious answers only please
Re: Why Do Christain Women Cover Their Hair In Church? by zarakay(f): 2:43pm On Jul 17, 2016
because of the angels I guess
Re: Why Do Christain Women Cover Their Hair In Church? by JohnNgene: 3:49pm On Jul 17, 2016
In most cultures, a shaved head is generally considered a sign of humility or respect. That is why most people shave off their hair during mourning. So I think covering long hair is/was seen as a way of showing respect to God.

There's also the need to minimize distraction during worship. Women like amplify their beauty with their hairstyles and show it off afterwards. I believe sey hair covering dey reduce their shakara. Lol. I suspect men with long hair were also expected to cover their's too.

I also have this feeling that there must have been uniformity in dressing to check fashion competition amongst women during worship. The uniform dressing tradition has faded most likely due to Christianity's growth. Just the same way, hair covering is fading off gradually.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christain Women Cover Their Hair In Church? by benjibabs(m): 5:55pm On Aug 12, 2016
Contact17:
I seriously have a question that I would really like to gain insight about. I am not a Chirstian so I don't have a lot of knowledge about Christianity but I have had a lot of Christian friends - Catholics and Protestant mainly. Anyways let me go straight to the point.

I want to know why Christian women cover their hair in church?

There was also this girl who covered her hair all the time even though she was Christian, I don't know if she was Catholic or Protestant or Anglican etc but it had me wondering if it had a religious purpose.

Serious answers only please

The short answer to your questions is NO. There is no religious purpose to covering of head in Christianity. It is actually an example of culture finding its way into religion. The portion of the bible that lots of Christians used to back up this believe was specifically for a group of Christians who has this as their culture and it was used as an analogy to drive home the order of authority as established by God.

Really, whether covering of head or not (or any other such rule) is not what provides the salvation in Christianity. Unlike other religions where the burden of man salvation rest squarely on man shoulder, salvation in Christianity is a gift and all one needs to do is accept it. Besides, when one receives Christ, Holy Spirit of God comes to live inside the new believer. The Holy Spirit of God is like a senior partner who lives with the believer 24x7 to guide believers to live Godly life.

Since you are not a christian, all this might sound Greek to you. Here is a summary - in Christianity, it is not what we do (or can do for that matter) that makes us right before God, but what God has done and we accept. It is not about man doing things (such as covering of head, fasting, alms giving, praying (even a million times a day), modest dressing, etc) to please God for acceptance, but God reaching out to man in his own way to bring salvation to man. It is absolutely free (no laws/rules to keep) and 100% guaranteed!
Re: Why Do Christain Women Cover Their Hair In Church? by EazyMoh(m): 11:05pm On Aug 12, 2016
I don't mean to disrespect Christians, but my sister of you are looking for a reason to justify the practices of Christians in the name of religion then you are on a long thing!
I understand you are trying to have an informed dialogue, but when majority can't seem to understand/believe whether something as fundamental as HELL exists or not, then you can only imagine what they'd understand about covering hair.

(1) (Reply)

Rhapsody Of Realities Daily Devotional For Today / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 18/09/16 / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 07/02/17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.