Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,631 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) (54842 Views)

British Woman Who Carries Her Heart Inside A Backpack To Keep Her Alive (Photos) / Parents Of The Boy Born With His Heart Outside The Body In Yobe. Photo / Baby Born In Yobe With His Heart Outside The Body (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jul 19, 2016
*Andrew Jones became breathless on a run and began coughing up blood
*In hospital was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - disease of the heart
*Doctors said he would need a transplant immediately or he would die
*Was fitted with an artificial heart and carries around a pump in a backpack

A bodybuilder who suffered heart failure was rushed to hospital for a transplant - and now has an artificial heart he carries around in a backpack.

Andrew Jones, from Conneticut, first became unwell in 2012 after struggling to breathe during a run.

He was horrified when two years later he started to cough up blood and developed a high fever.

In hospital, doctors diagnosed the 26-year-old with cardiomyopathy - a hereditary disease of the heart muscle - and soon he became so weak he couldn't stand, walk or dress himself.

A few months later, medics told if he didn't have a transplant immediately he would die.

As there were no organs available, he was fitted with a pacemaker and an artificial heart - which he now carries around in a bag on his back.

Despite his brush with death, he is now back to the gym and said he cries after workouts as he feels so 'thankful to be alive'.

Recalling suffering from heart failure, Mr Jones said: 'It's something I would never want to wish upon my worst enemy.

'You can't breathe, you can't think, you don't eat and you don't sleep.

He continued: 'Living with this disease put me in a pattern with depression and physical pain.

'I had to stop working because I wouldn't be able to stand for more than 10 minutes.

'I dreaded going to the kitchen because that meant that I had to go up and down my stairs.

'I couldn't even get dressed without panting and gasping for air - my life was falling apart and I just wanted relief.'

Cardiomyopathy isn’t a single condition, but a group of conditions that affect the structure of the heart and reduce its ability to pump blood around the body.

The heart muscle can become enlarged, thick, or rigid - or muscle can become replaced with scar tissue.

Mr Jones was devastated when his condition left him to weak to walk, let alone lift weights.

But since having the artificial heart implanted he has slowly recovered and is now back to training in the gym.

His artificial heart has two tubes that exit the body and are connected to a machine he carries around in a bag.

The machine delivers compressed air into the ventricles to allow blood to be pumped through the body.

His doctors have said as long as he tells his transplant routine about his weight-lifting routine, he is able to keep training.

He said: 'I will never forget the day I had to throw in the towel until I started feeling better.

'I tried my hardest to push through the shortness of breath, but I just could not train without my heart functioning properly.

'Today, thanks to my medical devices, I feel like a new person.

'I am almost back to the old Andrew that was able to train with passion and intensity.

'I do everything I can without compromising my health and the security of my devices.'

Mr Jones even launched his own charity, Hearts at Large, to raise awareness for organ donations and has over 14,000 followers on his Instagram, @FitnessWithAJ.

Grateful to be alive, he now breaks down in tears at the gym as he is so happy he is still able to train.

He said: 'I always loved working out and staying in shape, but I never actually took the time to be thankful to even have the ability to do so.

'Now I end my workouts almost in tears because I am still alive and I feel amazing.'

While some would hide their scars, Mr Jones wears his with pride, and explains to anyone who asks why he carries a backpack with him everywhere.

He said: 'I work in retail part-time and customers ask me all the time why I wear my backpack.

'When I tell them what it is for the response is somewhere along the lines of shock.

'They think I am pulling their leg, or seem surprised because I look healthy.

He continued: 'I'm never afraid to go out in public or take off my shirt in front of other people.

'I do try to be considerate because it is different and some people may feel uncomfortable.

'But I have no problem explaining what my device is, how it works and why I need it.'

He said during his four-month stay in hospital, he was constantly reminded of how serious his circumstances were.

'Despite this I couldn't shake the thought of the people who aren't healthy enough to even be considered for a transplant, or the people who don't have access to good health care,' he said.

'That is what I want to change with Hearts at Large. We can advance our already incredible technology to save lives.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3695428/The-bodybuilder-heart-BACKPACK-Super-fit-26-year-old-suffered-heart-failure-weak-stand-gym-again.html

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jul 19, 2016
cc lalasticlala
Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by Barney11: 10:40pm On Jul 19, 2016
woah
Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 19, 2016
What a world. Its a good thing he has a positive spirit.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by ReneeNuttall(f): 10:52pm On Jul 19, 2016
Thank you lord for good health

181 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by integrity85(m): 11:02pm On Jul 19, 2016
People are passing through hell just to be alive.
Please be kind!

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by Wangxiao(m): 11:08pm On Jul 19, 2016
wow.!! impressive

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jul 19, 2016
cc lalasticlala come and see na embarassed

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by adewumiopeyemi(m): 11:28pm On Jul 19, 2016
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked ope was here.. smellymouth i don reach here

1 Like

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by Blizzy9ja: 4:35am On Jul 20, 2016
Wow!! Am just going to take out sometime to say Thank you Lord for the gift of good health

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 10:40am On Jul 20, 2016
What can i say? Indiscriminate use of anabolics must have exacerbated that condition. Well thank God he is alive but i am very sure his performance at the gym would be far lower than what it used to be.
As a body-builder, it is very imperative one goes for regular check-ups most especially on the heart.
Keep on. That is the spirit.

3 Likes

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by MadCow1: 12:51pm On Jul 29, 2016
What the actual Bleep? shocked
Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by Abduletudaye(m): 12:52pm On Jul 29, 2016
cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by UncleSnr(m): 12:52pm On Jul 29, 2016
#@@@
Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by darkid1(m): 12:52pm On Jul 29, 2016
#team buff.... health is wealth my people. I can just imagine the amount he spends on that... talkless of if it was in Nigeria....hmmmn

1 Like

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by darkid1(m): 12:54pm On Jul 29, 2016
UncleSnr:
What did the Lord do in this case? Why not thank the doctors?
lol, chairman, God is the reason he is still alife...doctors cant do jack shit if the maker wants you dead. Who can understand the ways of God?

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by ALAYORMII: 12:54pm On Jul 29, 2016
Why is it making news now of people that are keeping their hearts in a bag

I thank GOD for my live and family
Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by pamcode(m): 12:54pm On Jul 29, 2016
Thankfully he was in a region that had good health care If not he would be on the other side of the river.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by Jalubarika(m): 12:55pm On Jul 29, 2016
The power of Positive Spirit.
Proud of who he's. If he had been from a swampy background, he could have been a Goner by now.
Maybe this never be our portion

4 Likes

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by cyojunior1(m): 12:55pm On Jul 29, 2016
Will dis man be able to bleep ?

1 Like

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by CACAWA(m): 12:55pm On Jul 29, 2016
[size=18pt]If he comes to Lagos and sharp boys try to snatch the bag and runaway...

Gobe o, Gobe o.[/size]

53 Likes

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by Onyenna(m): 12:56pm On Jul 29, 2016
Choooooooiiiiiii
Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by princeonx: 12:56pm On Jul 29, 2016
UncleSnr:
#@@@

What?
Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by darkid1(m): 12:57pm On Jul 29, 2016
CACAWA:
[size=18pt]If he comes to Lagos and sharp boys try to snatch the bag and runaway...

Gobe o, Gobe o.[/size]
lool this nigga is an idiot grin how did ur mind go der.... no offence though o, na joke I dey

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by miky(m): 12:57pm On Jul 29, 2016
Science is so amazing! Unfortunately we live in a closed religious society that fosters ignorance of witch doctors and magic! Yet our people still die from malaria and nutrient deficiency..

Just a matter of time before organs and humans can be made from scratch

7 Likes

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by igbsam(m): 12:58pm On Jul 29, 2016
And some pathetic doctors at luth were telling mayowa there's no hope for her and shud go home and die. Those doctors needed to be rounded up and flogged with horsewhips

6 Likes

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by SlimBrawnie(f): 12:58pm On Jul 29, 2016
Sad
Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by free2ryhme: 12:59pm On Jul 29, 2016
God is wonderful cheesy

may He always bless willing people with good intentions to serve humanity

not those bush of rogues, thieves in our polity, medical institution and force organizations angry

3 Likes

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by ReorxTohGan(m): 12:59pm On Jul 29, 2016
This Dude Should Please Stop Working Out Nau,tho' He Looks Firm And Healthy Buh Am Really Sorry To Say He's Just A Living Dead!!!...The Muscles Wey E Get Don Do,abi 'em Dy Giv Am Millions For Gym Mi..He ought to relax and enjoy the rest years he's got on earth...#TYG

1 Like

Re: Andrew Jone Carries His Heart In A Bag (pics) by UncleSnr(m): 12:59pm On Jul 29, 2016
darkid1:
lol, chairman, God is the reason he is still alife...doctors cant do jack shit if the maker wants you dead. Who can understand the ways of God?
Why didn't God change the heart automatically without him visiting the hospital for scientific heart?

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Home Remedy For Whitlow / Augmentin: See How Much I Bought This Medicine Today / I'm Suspecting My Girlfriend Has Given Me HIV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.