Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,212 members, 7,818,721 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution (22393 Views)

Highest Jamb Score 354. Is There Any Higher? / 5 Basic Skills Every Student Should Learn / 13 Things You Should Know How To Do Before You Go To Higher Institution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by Adefaze(m): 7:31pm On Jul 22, 2016
One thing is clear, higher institution is a lot different than secondary school. Not only when it comes to academics, but your personal lifestyle as well. You no longer have immediate access to your parents who cook your meals,watch your clothes,pick you up from school and assist you with other things that go by unnoticed.

Here is a short advice for those of you who are attending higher institution for the first time on some basic life skills you will need to learn.

You will need to learn the following:
How to do Laundry
In any higher institution (university, polytechnic, colleges of education or technical college) you will need to do your own laundry. If you don’t have much knowledge or skills in doing your own laundry, the time is now for you start learning how to do it.

How to Fold Your Clothes
Now that you have practiced and mastered how to watch your own clothes neatly, the next thing is to learn how to fold and arrange your clothes, you’ll need to know how to properly fold and store your clothing items. Don’t be one of those students who show up to class in a wrinkled clothes. Use proper clothes folding techniques to keep your wears in shape.

How to Iron Your Clothes
As mentioned above, you want to keep your clothes from being wrinkled. You want your clothes looking sharp, especially when it comes to time to dress up. You will need learn different techniques used in Ironing clothes, as different clothes have different Ironing techniques.

How to Knot a Tie
I’m guilty of this.. It’s best to learn beforehand how to knot a tie now as we all know how rushed we can become on an important day where formal wear is required. Maybe during presentation or project defense.

How to Start a Conversation
I believed that when you are still a kid your parents always warn you not to talk strangers. Well! that advice may have been okay at the time, it’s some of the worst advice we can carry on to our later years. My point is that you need to be comfortable talking to someone you don’t know or you’ll never meet anyone to talk to in school. So speak freely, smile, and be ready and willing to interact with fellow students on campus.

How to have a Healthy Diet/Eat Properly
As mentioned earlier above, you no longer have that access to healthy cooked jollof rice from sweet mama. Students are often in a hurry and often grab whatever comes cheap and easy. Unfortunately this means a lot of fast food. To ensure you don’t become a victim, you’ll have to keep an eye on your diet and make sure you are eating healthy.

How to be Organized
An organized student is a prepared student who is able to get things done faster and in good order.

How to Study
The academic rigor of college can be an eye opening experience for many students. The sad fact is that many students at this level. They don’t have an understanding of proper and effective techniques when it comes to studying and preparing for exams.
For a good read on how to study check out these link .

Is this article helpful? Please share with your friends.

Source; http://www.adefazeblog.com/2016/07/basic-skills-learn-higher-institution-college.html

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by MhizFancy(f): 9:10pm On Jul 22, 2016
Nice one.

1 Like

Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by rottable(m): 9:26pm On Jul 22, 2016
I dont believe in all these jare

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by johnson4nosa(m): 9:26pm On Jul 22, 2016
how to shiit.how to f***k.. nonsense

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by Benjom(m): 9:26pm On Jul 22, 2016
Good
Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by Xflint(m): 9:27pm On Jul 22, 2016
Ok
Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by thundergucci(m): 9:27pm On Jul 22, 2016
OP

You did not include

How to handle the opposite sex

How to spend wisely and save as much as you can

How to be able to differentiate between 'girlfriend/boyfriend' material and 'hit-and-run' standard

6 Likes

Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by pelvicky(m): 9:28pm On Jul 22, 2016
i agree with OP on 'how to start a conversation with a stranger' it is very very important

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by bobbybrown007: 9:28pm On Jul 22, 2016
you would have put the state slash the type of school they put because times are very hard
Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by IffaCatchYouEhn(m): 9:28pm On Jul 22, 2016
Op forgot this

Fůčkinq skills undecided grin

Na joke ooh
Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by Harmored(m): 9:32pm On Jul 22, 2016
undecidedop how to make money unko ??

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by undisputedk: 9:32pm On Jul 22, 2016
Of all the listed, knowing how to start a conversation is the most important. It's of the basic skills any young adult must learn. However, what's more important is getting to know how to keep a conversation going.

5 Likes

Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by igraman(m): 9:33pm On Jul 22, 2016
you only made sense where you talked about tie.
all others are nothing bt trash.
Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by undisputedk: 9:33pm On Jul 22, 2016
Of all the listed, knowing how to start a conversation is the most important. It's one of the basic skills any young adult must learn. However, what's more important is getting to know how to keep a conversation going.

2 Likes

Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by arthur1000(m): 9:34pm On Jul 22, 2016
op even a primary 3 boy can handle all dis shit u mentioned.i expected tins lik how to toast,how to ffff and odas
Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by Samanza89: 9:34pm On Jul 22, 2016
Above all.... "How to be in church every Sunday"...

4 Likes

Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by letsbet(m): 9:34pm On Jul 22, 2016
I expect every college student to know all this. Knowing how to make good use of the Internet needs to be up there too.

2 Likes

Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by AKJA(m): 9:35pm On Jul 22, 2016
Most important of all is to be God conscious by putting religion first in every ramifications of life endeavour. Parents will not be with you to impart their words of wisdom through experience.

3 Likes

Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by ladyF(f): 9:35pm On Jul 22, 2016
This is just what I need as I prepare for my post JAMB tins. Admission to sure. LadyF must enter school after all these years. grin

It's [size=15pt]FynestGeh[/size] again grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by zoneros(m): 9:35pm On Jul 22, 2016
I still don't know how to tie a tie. Any time I need to dress corporate I visit wikihow... Will the society accept me?
Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jul 22, 2016
Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by flokii: 9:38pm On Jul 22, 2016
Time management too.. D most important

1 Like

Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by gbaskiboy: 9:40pm On Jul 22, 2016
Resources managements is very important too
Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jul 22, 2016
bobbybrown007:
you would have put the state slash the type of school they put because times are very hard

hahahaha...the op sha. Back then when i got into school i knew nothing but good spoken English, calculus,economics & was a natural rugged boy..i learnt all d rest abt women,life, benefits of being real n acada life from d bros' them i stayed with experience, mistakes n wise words..so i dnt knw wat d op is saying i graduated like over 10 yrs ago n i hv only knot a tie thrice thanks to GQ Mag for d tips..op nice thread sha

1 Like

Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by laredopapa(m): 9:43pm On Jul 22, 2016
i see some senses in your writing.
i will like to discuss this with my students in class, do you give me permission to copy and print? @OP[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by AsapKen(m): 9:44pm On Jul 22, 2016
Nice piece[b][/b]
Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by Adefaze(m): 9:45pm On Jul 22, 2016
@laredopapa,its a free world..its allowed..go on
Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by bitchcrafts: 9:46pm On Jul 22, 2016
99.99% FP Material... A guide couldn't be more Simpleton. Kudos op!

1 Like

Re: Basic Skills You Must Learn Now Before Going To Any Higher Institution by superneutral(m): 9:52pm On Jul 22, 2016
Education is supposed to bring out the independence in us not imposing dependence on us. It's so unfortunate that nowadays everybody clamours for white collar jobs. What's the importance of wasting a lot of resources on 1st DEGREE, MBA, Msc, PhD, ICAN and other 'resouce-consuming' academic qualifications if one will still end up constructing CV to seek for job.
Surprisingly a lot of the successful folks of the world and even the world Richest are not graduate, nor chartered during there Road to greatness. Majority of them got 1st degree after being successful.
Think of Bill gate of Microsoft , Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook, Dangote the africa Richest man, Folorunsho Alakija, Linda Ikeji the blogger, Presidents Buhari, John mikel obi, 2face Idibia and many many successful men in the world.
It's high time people started thinking beyond academic qualifications and Used their resources wisely.
Let's reason together; are u really educated fellow, if u are still dependently working to earn salary despite all your prestigious academic qualifications?
Be independent! Be independent!! Be independent!!!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba 2012/2013 New And Pre Degree / 2017-2018 NNPC/Total National Merit Scholarship Scheme Application / University Of Calabar Retires Professor For Plagiarism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.