Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,124 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

Nigerian Marriage Waste Rituals: Is It Worth It? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Marriage Waste Rituals: Is It Worth It? (750 Views)

** Rituals New Oni Of Ife Must Undergo - PICTURE ** / UN Warns Britain Over Child Voodoo Rituals, P.edophile Sex Tourists / Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Marriage Waste Rituals: Is It Worth It? by ochukoccna: 5:58pm On Sep 16, 2009
[size=14pt]Hi y'all.
I thought to ask why is it that most ladies insist on having church weddings  alongside the traditional one. Methinks one should suffice for the other. Personally I prefer church weddings but hear traditional weddings are held more in regard in 9ja because our cultural roots. No problems with that yet I think having both is a waste of resources regardless of the fact many a lady pout  'it's my day of glory' yet the guy is the one footing the bills.
The resources could be channeled into other productive areas -[seeing a wedding is an event but marriage is for life]- apart from feeding guests you never met nor will meet, renting of halls,  creative decorations and other sundry expenses. If you have the cheddah, spend but most couples that are marrying in 9ja are usually financial midgets @ the time of the union.   A friend of mine insisted that she must have a church wedding but was the same one that confessed after the wedding that it was expensive which was what her hubby had pointed out before the event. Some might think I'm been cheap but I'm just applying my common sense seeing we waste so much resources in Africa throwing Owambes & 'faaji' but the Oyinbo throws his @ productivity. Your thoughts?[/size]
Re: Nigerian Marriage Waste Rituals: Is It Worth It? by kellorah: 6:36pm On Sep 16, 2009
Yes it costs a lot but, u cud jst plan it, and save up for a while. And both families should pay for the wedding!

I know I wont be having a traditional wedding and I doubt I'll be missing out but yeah, if it's in ur culture and u don't mind doing it, then go ahead.

Anyways, it's ur day. Whatever u both decide to do. . . .afterall, there's more to the relationship than the wedding.
Re: Nigerian Marriage Waste Rituals: Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Sep 16, 2009
It doesn't have to be a big affair, those who make it so shud bare the cross of it.
Re: Nigerian Marriage Waste Rituals: Is It Worth It? by ochukoccna: 2:28am On Sep 17, 2009
ezinne1212:

It doesn't have to be a big affair, those who make it so shud bare the cross of it.

You make it sound so easy and that's the way it truly should be but from observation and experience, it's hardly ever that way.

(1) (Reply)

Are You Sure You Can Speak Yoruba Then Lets Break It Down; / For All Things Free / Family Ties: Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.