Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? (1219 Views)

If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) / Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by angelval3(f): 3:51pm On Dec 06, 2006
Am in luv with an Igbo guy and he his promising to marry me.what should i do?
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by PDF: 3:55pm On Dec 06, 2006
Calm down. . . why not buy more airtime, relax and rephrase your question? Give more details. wink
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by chistiana(f): 4:10pm On Dec 06, 2006
u can marry any tribe u wont, and perharps love matters, cause love know no tribe or boundary just follow ur heart, if u know u want him girl go for him.
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by ayo84(m): 4:37pm On Dec 06, 2006
well it depends on cultural compatibility
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by jammin(m): 7:13am On Dec 07, 2006
peeping in on this thread wonder what she meant by boundaries wink
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by Freewilly(f): 7:23am On Dec 07, 2006
angel_val:

Am in love with an Igbo guy and he his promising to marry me.what should i do?

RUN AND DON'T YOU DARE LOOK BACK shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by chistiana(f): 11:23am On Dec 07, 2006
@ freewilly
u funny Igbo guys are not that bad.

@ jammin
U wanna know what i meant by boundaries.
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by feelgood(m): 9:26pm On Dec 08, 2006
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by feelgood(m): 9:32pm On Dec 08, 2006
NOPE. My wife comes 4rm a different cultural background & this is our 16th year. Love conquers all
Goodluck
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by chistiana(f): 5:54pm On Dec 10, 2006
@ feelgood
Bros i give u kudus,

wish u many Love life in ur marriage.
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by Busta(f): 7:11pm On Dec 10, 2006
@ topic
well, ask ursef this. . . shld tribe be a barrier to the kinda person u wanna marry and watchu feeling for this guy?
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by laudate: 7:35pm On Mar 20, 2007
angel_val:

Am in love with an Igbo guy and he his promising to marry me.what should i do?

Um, 1st question: Ethnic identity. Where are you from?

2nd question: What part of Igbo land is he from? In some parts of Alaigbo, some folks are dead-set against their kids marrying from outside their clan, especially if he is the first son.

3rd question: How much do both of you love each other? How well do both of you "know" each other? Am talking of in-depth knowledge of character, what each person stands for, values you both cherish (not body parts o!) & what he is capable of doing & how secure he makes you feel in your relationship. Can he change his mind on a whim? Can you cope with pressure? etc.

4th question: Do you get along with his family? What do they think of you?

5th question: What does he think about your own tribe? Does he make sweeping generalisations about them? Or does he realise that the good, the bad & the ugly exist in every tribe, including his own?

6th question: How close are you to your parents? If you disagree with them on any issue, do you have a way of bringing them round to your line of thinking?

7th question: How secure & solid is your relationship with him? Does he talk & act as if he is commited to you? Mind you, what a man does, is more important than what he says o! Is he stable & man enough to take his own decisions & stick by them, come what may? What about your own feelings for him? Is it strong enough to withstand any storm? Do you feel that ten, twenty, thirty years down the road, you would still be as deeply in love with him as you are now? Do you think he to would feel the same way?

8th question: Have you sat down to discuss how you will raise your kids? Will they be trained to be bi-lingual i.e. fluent in both your own language & his own language? Or mono-lingual i.e. fluent in only his own language?

9th question: How much of his culture do you know? Can you speak his language? Are you willing to learn it, if you do not understand it? Are you comfortable with learning & participating in his cultural events?

10th question: Have you seen good examples of inter-ethnic marriages first-hand, that you can draw from?

Once you can answer these questions, you will be able to handle the issue.

Good luck.

Inter-ethnic marraige is not a bed of roses, neither is it a bed of thorns. Marriage is hard work. People have been known to go into it & make a success of it. At the end of the day, it all boils down to maturity level & what you feel is the best option for you. And how strong both of you feel about each other, as well.

Peace.
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by 1forall: 1:03pm On Mar 21, 2007
That was an impressive and empathic contribution, I'm sure the topic starter shall learn a lot from your post. My little addition is that inter-ethnic marriages require working at just like any other. A successful marriage is a result of mutual effort from both parties.
Good luck.
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Mar 21, 2007
Well if this Igbo man has one head,two eyes at the right places,2 ears on the side of his head,breathes through a set of nostrils and has an orifice above his chin called a mouth,I think you should consider him.
He may actually be human.

what a question to ask in this day and age
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by Seun(m): 8:13pm On Mar 21, 2007
You mean Igbos are human beings? Who would have guessed! So they are not aliens who eat babies! shocked
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by LoverBwoy(m): 10:28pm On Mar 26, 2007
your love don't matter! if your not igbo forget it  grin all th numbers laudate gave you are just that -numbers!

The real koko be him papa and mama! cool
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by laudate: 8:47pm On Mar 28, 2007
LoverBwoy:

your love don't matter! if your not igbo forget it grin all th numbers laudate gave you are just that -numbers!

Pray tell, how are they numbers? Did you actually RE-EE-EAD what I wrote?

Abi, you wan make I borrow you my contact lens? undecided
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by ThoniaSlim(f): 7:53am On Apr 27, 2007
what tribe got to do with marriage? undecided
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by laudate: 6:56pm On Apr 27, 2007
ThoniaSlim:

what tribe got to do with marriage? undecided

Well, to some people, a great deal!
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by CrazyMan(m): 7:34pm On Apr 27, 2007
Freewilly:

RUN AND DON'T YOU DARE LOOK BACK shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Where do you want her to run to?
Let me tell you Igbo guys are the best when it comes to spending. So if you're advising her to run, you're probably expecting her to run to a church-rat from her tribe.
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by kellorah: 7:38pm On Apr 27, 2007
lmfao ^^ 'church-rat' grin
igbo guys r kool, so as guys from other tribes
follow ur heart wink
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by Nobody: 12:55am On May 03, 2007
Igbo church rats bokwu too.

if that Igbo man does not work at an internet cafe,,he is is eligible.
Re: Is Any Thing Wrong From Marry From Any Tribe? by jona2: 9:30pm On Nov 04, 2009
shocked

(1) (Reply)

Disconnected From The Mother Land / Please Where Can I Get Those Beautiful Indian Bangles Here In Nigeria? / Translate This Sentence And Win 1500 Recharge Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.