Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,472 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Afin, Ofin, Alaafin, Olofin And The Word 'finished'. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Afin, Ofin, Alaafin, Olofin And The Word 'finished'. (1079 Views)

What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? / Why Do Nigerians Use The Word 'beg' To Describe The Actions Of Non-nigerians / Man Donates N180K To A Poor Boy Who Finished Learning Trade (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Afin, Ofin, Alaafin, Olofin And The Word 'finished'. by lawani: 9:38am On Jul 29, 2016
Anything 'fin' in Yoruba generally means perfect, concluded, closed and etc to the satisfaction of or in fairness to all concerned with no aggrieved or wronged party. It is obviously thesame word as the French 'finir' and the English 'finished'.

It is funny how words rhyme, if you say finni finni in Yoruba, it means perfect and closed and it is thesame in ofin (do mi) which means perfect, it occurs in Afinju which may mean proficient or expert. The English word 'finish' is not too far from that root just like they say the old English for iron is a word sounding like the Yoruba word 'irin' which means thesame. The word Aafin which is a King's court is also from thesame root of ofin (do mi) which means perfect or ofin(do re) which means law. So Aafin means a place where no rubbish or frivolity is allowed. A place of law. In an Aafin, everything must be 'fin' or 'finished' Ofintoto also means perfect and so on and so forth.

Ajisefinni, Afinbiokin and etc are Yoruba names that sums these my positions up. Ask Yoruba people around you for the meaning of those names.

So I am forced to agree after I had earlier disagreed, that the words Alaafin, the title of the Oyo emperor is etymologically thesame as Olofin the old title of Ife emperors. Alaafin means the owner of the palace or perfect court while Olofin means perfect ruler.

The Awori in Lagos and Ogun still use the title Olofin for the monarch of Isheri Olofin while the Ooni nominally uses the title Olofin Aye as well.

I would like to believe that the English word 'finished' and the French 'finir' are etymologically from thesame root as the Yoruba 'fin'. Dont you?.

(1) (Reply)

Streaming Vs Downloading: Which Consumes More Data? / Power Bike Rider In Fatal Crash In Bayelsa, Kills Man At The Spot / A Cry For Help To Bedc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.