Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,197 members, 7,953,728 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:27 AM

The Future Of Our Indigenous Languages - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Future Of Our Indigenous Languages (1803 Views)

North Should Adopt Teaching In Indigenous Languages – Emir Sanusi / The 8 Most Popular Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks / Kids Cartoon In Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Languages(Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Future Of Our Indigenous Languages by Sinkills: 12:20pm On Jul 29, 2016
Every Nigerian has a mother-tongue or the language of our parents. They include Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba, Fulfude, Ijaw, Tiv, Ibibio, Kanuri, Igala, Jukun, Urhobo, Nupe, Ogoni, Idoma, Ebira, Igede, Berom, Gwari, Edo, Egun, Takwa, Efik, Itshekiri and Ogoja to mention but a few. As a result of travelling to other regions and countries for greener pastures, for education as well as inter-tribal marriages, most of our children cannot speak the native language. This is made worse by the parents who prefer to converse with their children in English or even pigeon (substandard) English. The people of Igbo extraction seem to be the most 'guilty' in this regard. Language is the most important element of our culture.It also gives us an identity. I think we need to change our attitude towards our indigenous languages by encouraging our children not just to understand but to speak in our local dialects so that our cultures will not be extinguished.
Re: The Future Of Our Indigenous Languages by Juxtified(m): 12:31pm On Jul 29, 2016
This is something that has been a source of great concern to me. Our languages are going into extinction , and many of us are to blame. Some parents can not even speak their native language properly, not to talk of teaching their children. Others claim they don't want to 'confuse' the child until he or she is old enough. While a few simply just want to 'belong'
Re: The Future Of Our Indigenous Languages by ChinenyeN(m): 8:46pm On Jul 29, 2016
I don't know about other Nigerian groups, but I am fairly certain that my own language isn't going anywhere other than forward. Currently, I am involved in a number of literature and computer science/IT projects that are focused on creating a medium for the growth and development of my language. The most exciting projects to me are probably the general sciences encyclopedias we are currently writing and the artificial intelligence software that we are developing, which speaks our language and translates from English to our language and back.

There is also one other project that I am particularly excited about, but it is still in the planning phase. We have yet to even begin development on it, but once completed it would be a big benefit to multiple communities in preserving and developing their speech forms. In particular, I imagine the eastern part of Nigeria would make good use of this still-under-development software application.

2 Likes

Re: The Future Of Our Indigenous Languages by Onegai(f): 11:42am On Aug 03, 2016
My language is struggling to survive. It will disappear in 2 generations or be absorbed into a bigger entity if we are not careful. I've started speaking the little I know to my baby and to my delight, I have found it has similarities to my husband's language. He can't speak his but I've resolved to hire a teacher for our children in when they're older. Us minority languages have to fight even harder. I've seen books and CDs in the major Nigerian languages sold for kids.
Re: The Future Of Our Indigenous Languages by mrMeen(m): 1:10pm On Aug 03, 2016
more than 200 people speak my language #HAUSA
Re: The Future Of Our Indigenous Languages by YourNemesis: 2:16pm On Aug 03, 2016
My Language is going nowhere anytime soon.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Money Igbos used in the olden days. / Brief History Of Iragbiji In Osun State / Why Do Ghanaians And Nigerians Like Fighting All The Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.