Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,667 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:48 PM

How To Know If Your Car Alternator Is Failing - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Know If Your Car Alternator Is Failing (13318 Views)

Car Battery Or Alternator: Which One Is The Culprit Behind A Dead Car? / 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator / 6 Symptoms Of A Failing Alternator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Know If Your Car Alternator Is Failing by uvalued(m): 7:48am On Aug 01, 2016
andy tings
Re: How To Know If Your Car Alternator Is Failing by kingreign(m): 7:54am On Aug 01, 2016
autodoctor:

Pls dont laff o. I have only two hands. grin

Okay boss grin lipsrsealed
Re: How To Know If Your Car Alternator Is Failing by artsirseen(m): 8:19am On Aug 01, 2016
dragnet:

this doesn't sound right...
isn't the kick starter or whatever it's called responsible for starting the engine? and the alternator only starts working when the engine is working and rotation has begun?

Yes the kick starter is the device that rolls the engine but it is all thanks to the alternator to keep power in the battery intact so as to supply power to kick stater to roll the engine....so if while your engine comes up and running and your car alternator is not functioning well to retain charge lost while other functions of your car runs,the kick starter might have a problem rolling the engine after you turn of the engine....so the alternator is the main bros for inside your engine ooo, treat it right

1 Like

Re: How To Know If Your Car Alternator Is Failing by bobo65(m): 8:20am On Aug 01, 2016
mrseamy:
Happy new month

If I leave my battery connected to its + - terminals in the car for a long period of time, the battery dies off, is this also as a result of a faulty alternator?

I think there's a short circuit somewhere within ur electrical system
contact your electro

Thanks
Re: How To Know If Your Car Alternator Is Failing by dragnet: 8:26am On Aug 01, 2016
artsirseen:

Yes the kick starter is the device that rolls the engine but it is all thanks to the alternator to keep power in the battery intact so as to supply power to kick stater to roll the engine....so if while your engine comes up and running and your car alternator is not functioning well to retain charge lost while other functions of your car runs,the kick starter might have a problem rolling the engine after you turn of the engine....so the alternator is the main bros for inside your engine ooo, treat it right

You don't seem to understand what I was querying. He wrote "If the vehicle has difficulty starting after the battery is fully charged,".
please analyze that.
Re: How To Know If Your Car Alternator Is Failing by jackjackson: 9:47am On Aug 02, 2016
I lost the keys and call Locksmith. They just had to take the lock cylinder out of the trunk and make a key off that. I don't remember the cost exactly but I think it was in the $200-$400 range.
Re: How To Know If Your Car Alternator Is Failing by locksmithtoront: 8:34am On Sep 15, 2017
So far it's not that big of a deal to call a locksmith and he will do that job for you. In Canada we pay bigger prices but you will have much smaller ones, i believe.
Re: How To Know If Your Car Alternator Is Failing by TRYGO(m): 7:39pm On Sep 15, 2017
@bobo65. Its not that your battery is dead, but there's a parasitic load somewhere on the car's electrical/electronic system, that's sapping the "juice" out of em.

Check if any of the interior accessory lights aren't on; and if you've got a malfunctioned door switch, etc
Re: How To Know If Your Car Alternator Is Failing by TRYGO(m): 7:40pm On Sep 15, 2017
@bobo65. Its not that your battery is dead, but there's a parasitic load somewhere on the car's electrical/electronic system, that's sapping the "juice" out of em.

Check if any of the interior accessory lights are on when you power down, and if you've got a malfunctioned door switch, etc

Sometimes, a short circuited fuse or relay would drain the battery of your car

Regards,
Joseph
Re: How To Know If Your Car Alternator Is Failing by dewwy84(m): 10:51am On Sep 16, 2017
good info .......
Re: How To Know If Your Car Alternator Is Failing by sureboykris(m): 10:06am On Nov 29, 2020
Please can a bad alternator be worked on /repaired

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pros And Cons Of Mercedes C230 And C240 / Why Are There So Many ES 350 Lexus Nigerian Used For Sale / Weststar Announces The Return Of FIAT To Nigeria, Makers Of Ferrari And Maserati

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.