Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

News Updates, August 2 - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / News Updates, August 2 (678 Views)

News Updates, August 17 / News Updates, August 5 / News Updates, August 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

News Updates, August 2 by Newsbreakers: 7:03pm On Aug 02, 2016
Chief priest Arrested for killing daughter while trying to beat wife with cutlass

A 30-year-old chief priest, Eno Akpan, has been arrested by the Akwa Ibom State Police Command for allegedly killing his one year and three months old daughter, Favour.

Eno, a native of Ikot Akpan Udo village in the Ikot Abasi Local Government Area, was said to be the custodian of the village’s shrine.

The state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Murtala Mani, said in Uyo on Monday that Eno had a misunderstanding with his wife, Blessing, and beat her up.

The CP, who spoke through the state Police Public Relations Officer, Cordelia Nwawe, explained that during the squabble, Blessing ran to her mother and left her daughter with the suspect.

He said Eno called Blessing to take Favour with her, adding that when she refused, he inflicted machete injuries on the girl’s back and head.

The girl died from the injuries.

He said, “On July 23, at 7.30pm, the complainant, Blessing, had a misunderstanding with her husband, Eno Akpan. In the process, the husband beat her up.

“She left the house for her mother’s place, leaving her daughter behind. The husband asked her to return home to take the child along, but she refused. The husband then used a machete to inflict cuts on the back and head of their daughter. She died on the spot.”

The CP noted that investigation was ongoing into the matter.

Confessing to the crime, Eno, however, said he had a disagreement with his wife after she returned home late from the market where she sold oysters.

According to him, he used his fists on her, but by the time he picked up a machete to strike her, it cut through their daughter.

He said, “She went to sell oysters in the market. When she came back, I tried to inquire why she came back late and that it was becoming a habit for her to return home late from the market.

“Her reply incensed me and I had no other option than to beat her. The moment I picked up a machete to strike her, she threw my daughter at me and the machete landed on her head and back.”

Police engage armed robbers in shootout in Lagos, two robbers dead

A group of armed robbers on Monday caused mayhem on Okunola Road in Idimu area of Lagos State after they allegedly attacked a police inspector.

The three-man gang, which came on a motorcycle at about 11:45am, were said to have robbed the inspector, who had just come out of a bank in the area.

They reportedly shot the inspector in the jaw and dispossessed him of his money.

It was gathered that a police patrol team attached to the Anti-Pipeline Vandalism Intelligence Unit engaged the robbers in a shootout in their attempt to escape from the scene; during which two of the robbers were killed.

The injured police inspector was rushed to a general hospital in the area.

Confirming the incident, the Police Public Relations officer, PPRO, in the state, SP Dolapo Badmos, told our reporter that a surviving member of the gang, Gafaru Ismail, has been arrested and taken to Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS, Ikeja.

The PPRO stated that two pistols were recovered from the gang.

Steph-Nora Okere Says She Is Married To Jesus

Nollywood actress Steph Nora Okere has relocated to Ibadan temporarily for the completion of her upcoming TV series.
The actress who was recently honoured by City People revealed why her wedding was cancelled about 10 years ago and why she is still single.

In her words:

Right now, I’m shooting a new series, Broken Heart in Ibadan that is coming out soon. It is my latest work. I only left the set to come down here to receive my Award from City People because I value this Award so much.

I was in the process of getting married but ended up not getting married. Where I come from, there is the process of marriage when you start the process, the Ibo people will go and make research on the other person’s background and If they find out negative things about the man or woman’s family, that means they will put an immediate stop to the marriage. That was what happened in my own case.

I was never married but the Press got me married to Lanre Falana. I was involved in a marriage process which got truncated along the line. Marriage begins with paying the woman’s dowry, traditional and white wedding. All these did not take place. My family didn’t support marrying a man who kept one woman in one place and plans to keep another one in another place. I attend Catholic Church and the marriage process in Catholic begins with the intended couples tendering a marriage certificate issued by a court to the church. This was the main reason we were in court in the first place.

We were not living together, we had an Introduction where his family and mine were introduced to each other only. This was the beginning of our problem. For us to discover that we were not compatible. Our court marriage was in July and he went abroad in September only for him to be back a year and a half later.

It has not been easy. You hardly can differentiate between a man who truly wants you as a woman because he feels for you, or one who wants to be seen with a known actress. Some men can go as far as taking a bet on you because you are a known actress. But when a good man comes around, I will settle with him. However, my Bible has not told me I cannot make heaven as a single woman.
I hope to marry again when a good man comes but for now I am married to Jesus.

http://citypeopleng.com/marriage-crashed-veteran-actress-steph-nora-okere/

Charly Boy’s men-o-pause Story

Popular media personality Charles Oputa otherwise known as Charly Boy has come up with another write-up, this time, he is touching the medical line. Charly Boy wrote about menopause as it affects men which many men do not think The message is specifically directed at men who don’t know about their sexuality, particularly what he calls Men-O-Pause. He thinks he has attained a position to speak on it. Do men experience menopause? Charly Boy wrote: “If you are above 40yrs old, then you have every business reading this. If not, however, you still need to go ahead and read because your own time dey come. I mostly talk about the experiences I have been through, to talk to me and sometimes to heal me or some of the people I counsel.

I share things I have learnt, so others can pick any positives that may help them in their journey through life. Na so. The stage I am at now and what am going through, is what I have discussed with so many men including my father-in-law in the past 30yrs. I never thought or even imagined I would one day be wearing the same shoes myself. Some men right now are experiencing symptoms that include fatigue, serious mood swings, depression and wait for it….sexual problems; like not being as desirous of your spouse sexually as you have been in the past. Like noticing things you didn’t use to notice in the past in your house hold. Like being irritable and short fused or the feeling of being alone even when you’re surrounded by family.

Oyinbo people get name for am, dem dey call am Men-O-Pause.” The grandfather went further to enlighten the menfolk when he wrote: “When a woman is moody, it’s hormones. When a man is moody, it’s work related stress, money problems, or just one of those days, right? Maybe not!

Saraki Congratulates New NBA President

President of the Senate, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, on Tuesday, congratulated the newly elected President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Mr. Mahmoud Abubakar, SAN, and other national officials of the association.

Saraki in a statement by his Special Adviser, Media and Publicity, Yusuph Olaniyonu, in Abuja, said the election of Abubakar could not have come at a better time in the life of the NBA and the nation’s legal system, considering his reputation and wealth of experience.

He specifically noted the use of electronic voting in the conduct of the NBA’s 2016 election which produced the new national officers of the Bar, describing it as a clear milestone which points the way to go, at the national level, in this era of digital revolution.

The Senate President called on the new national executive of the NBA to build on the legacies of his predecessors, work for the unity of the Bar and ensure that the principle of fairness, equity and justice comes to play in all their actions.

He reiterated his pledge that the National Assembly would continue to welcome the input from the Bar in its efforts to review the nation’s obsolete laws as well as the introduction of other progressive legislations that will help to improve the socio-political and economic development of the country.

He specifically commended the outgoing NBA executive, led by Mr. Augustine Alegeh (SAN), for its engagement with the Senate, through the Nigeria Bar Association’s Section on Business Law, to review laws which affect the ease of doing business in the country, an effort which has began to yield tangible results.

Saraki said: “The recent passage of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) Bill, by the Senate is a testament to the many advantages that can accrue to the nation’s economy when the legislature and critical associations like the NBA collaborate.

“I sincerely congratulate the new NBA executive under the leadership of Mr. Mahmoud Abubakar. As a former Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, in Kano State, and a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), I have no doubt that Mahmoud has all it takes to take the elite body of lawyers in the country to the next level.

“I also believe the NBA will continue to strive for excellence as an association comprising ministers in the temple of justice by ensuring that both plaintiffs and defendants are accorded all rights and legal privileges due them before, during and after cases are dispensed with by the courts,” he said.

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

New Nairalanders / This Is The Most Amazing Write-up About Mark Zuckerberg's Dress Simplicity(pics) / List Of Phones That Will Not Support Whatsapp Anymore From 31st Dec 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.