Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,169 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

Motherboards (intel) - WYNTK - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Motherboards (intel) - WYNTK (2662 Views)

Case Fans For Gaming PC - WYNTK / Power Supply Connectors For Gaming PC - WYNTK / Buying A Used Graphics Card - WYNTK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Motherboards (intel) - WYNTK by AKBliv010(m): 9:35am On Aug 04, 2016
WYNTK

Re: Motherboards (intel) - WYNTK by KazukiIto(m): 9:44am On Aug 04, 2016
What's that?
Re: Motherboards (intel) - WYNTK by AKBliv010(m): 9:47am On Aug 04, 2016
KazukiIto:
What's that?
Write up to follow...working on it.
Re: Motherboards (intel) - WYNTK by AKBliv010(m): 10:05am On Aug 04, 2016
Before we dive in, If you already know, you can skip all this; this is for the 'noob' or newbie in the crowd.
The motherboard found in gaming PC's holds or allows communication between many of the crucial electronic components of the system. I won't be going into much details about the chipset, microarch etc. I'll talk about the sockets as that's more important for now. Sockets can't be upgraded without changing the motherboard entirely, so upgrading to a new generation can require a complete system build.

LGA 1511 - This is the latest Intel Socket design for the Skylake class 14nm CPU 6th generation Core designs; the 6000 series. Compared to the older LGA1150 line, the chipsets of the LGA1151 supports more USB3.0 cnnections, faster DDR4 RAM DIMMs, more SATA 3.0 connections. compatible CPUs include i7-6700, i5-6600, i3-6100.

LGA 1150 - This was designed to accomodate the Haswell (4th-gen Intel Core) processors. The socket also supports a handful of5th-gen Core desktop chips that came to the market. Like other intel sockets, it can be found of different chipsets; H81, B85,H87,Z87. The H81, B85 can be considered enrty level.
Intel later on introduced two new chipsets H97 and Z97. The highlight of these is compatibility with SATA Express. Be sure to check your motherboard's BIOS compatibility before buying a new processor.
compatible CPUs include i7-4790, i5-4690, i3-4130

LGA 1155 : The older socket I will cover in this post. A predecessor to the LGA 1150. This is a cross-generation socket. Though built for Sandy Bridge (Intel Core 2nd-gen), it also accepts Ivy bridge (Intel Cor 3rd-gen) processors, which means owners of an old LGA 1155 have some upgrade options available.
Note though, LGA 1155 motherboards won;t work with new processors unless you upgrade the BIOS. You can usually find a compatibility list on the manufacturers website. compatible CPUs include i7-3770, i5-3550, i3-3220, i7-2600, i5-2500, i3-2100

Other Sockets to note
LGA 775 - This socket is ANCIENT. It was used for a wide variety of intel Pentium 4, Intel core 2 Duo, Intel Core 2 Quad and other CPU's from 2006 until the release of the LGA 1366. They used DDR2 RAM mostly.

LGA 1156 - Intel released this socket to handle the company's new line of Intel Core processors. compatible CPUs include the i7-870, i5-650
Re: Motherboards (intel) - WYNTK by AKBliv010(m): 12:36pm On Aug 04, 2016
Motherboard layout and sizes avaialble

Related post - https://www.nairaland.com/3267973/gaming-pc-what-need-know

Re: Motherboards (intel) - WYNTK by AKBliv010(m): 12:43pm On Aug 04, 2016
Final word: The motherboard socket you choose ties you what processor and RAM you can use. That is why the socket is very important. In other scenarios it ties you to the size of case you can use.

Any questions? Feel free to ask... Please keep questions to the relevant section. It will keep things organised and help those who have the same questions.
Re: Motherboards (intel) - WYNTK by Lana1(m): 12:56pm On Aug 04, 2016
AKBliv010:
Motherboard layout and sizes avaialble
Sorry. Where's the gpu slots on dis mobo?? Am guessing the x16 PCIe slot.. Right??
And can u explain more on the 8 pin and 24 pin power connectors?
Re: Motherboards (intel) - WYNTK by AKBliv010(m): 1:12pm On Aug 04, 2016
Lana1:
Sorry. Where's the gpu slots on dis mobo?? Am guessing the x16 PCIe slot.. Right??
And can u explain more on the 8 pin and 24 pin power connectors?

That's right a GPU requires the PCIe x16 slot. Keeping it short for now as I'll cover this when I write on power supplies. The 8-pin/24 pin are for power delivery to the motherboard components (CPU, PCIe x4/16 slots, CPU VRM's, on-board Sound cards, Chipset, case fan plugs, etc) and the PC won't boot without both connected. So, buy a Power supply that has both an 8-pin and 24-pin connector.
Re: Motherboards (intel) - WYNTK by AKBliv010(m): 4:48pm On Aug 04, 2016
It's worth mentioning the different tiers of motherboards.
1. Entry Level
2. Mid-range
3. High end.

The prices of motherboards and these different tiers are tied to the chipset installed.

(quoted from wikipedia) - In a computer system, a chipset is a set of electronic components in an integrated circuit that manages the data flow between the processor, memory and peripherals. It is usually found on the motherboard. Chipsets are usually designed to work with a specific family of microprocessors. Because it controls communications between the processor and external devices, the chipset plays a crucial role in determining system performance.

Entry level - B Series e.g B150 (LGA1151), B85(LGA1150)...you get the gist! Only exception is the H81(LGA1150) or H110(LGA1151). They are H series but budget oriented.
Mid Range - H Series e.g H170 (LGA1151), H87/H97( LGA1150)
High End - Z Series e.g Z170(LGA1151), Z87/Z97(LGA1150)

This applies to the older chipsets as well. So Z series > H Series > B Series. Looking at the table below based on the LGA1150 socket, you can see the difference between each chipset. I've ignored the Q Series are these are tailored for businesses.
Keep in mind that the chipset is only one of the many factors you should take into consideration when choosing a motherboard. If there is a specific feature you need like CPU overclocking, knowing what each chipset offers gives you a great starting place. But even from there, you still have to sort through the large number of motherboards that use that chipset. If you don't find a motherboard that fits your needs in terms of rear or internal ports, layout, or other functionality, you may even need to look at a "higher" chipset instead.
Any motherboard be it a B,H or Z Series can be used in a gaming PC

Re: Motherboards (intel) - WYNTK by AKBliv010(m): 1:05pm On Aug 24, 2016
Two GTX 750TI's for the lolz on an Asus Maximus Hero VIII LGA 1151 motherboard with 32GB DDR4 2400MHz Viper RAM by Patriot.

Re: Motherboards (intel) - WYNTK by brainstorm214(m): 4:04pm On Jun 12, 2019
Guys, as I can see, you're a motherboard professionals )) Guys, how to chose a motherboard? I'm really confused about all this abundance of motherboards. My friend sent me the article about Gaming Motherboard, and said that I can choose the motherboard from that site. Do you think they're good? And by the way, which one to choose, to not to worry about updating of computer for about 7-8 years? Moreover, would it be expensive to build such a computer with such motherboards?
Re: Motherboards (intel) - WYNTK by goodspeed963(m): 8:28am On Jun 14, 2019
brainstorm214:
Guys, as I can see, you're a motherboard professionals )) Guys, how to chose a motherboard? I'm really confused about all this abundance of motherboards. My friend sent me the article about Gaming Motherboard, and said that I can choose the motherboard from that site. Do you think they're good? And by the way, which one to choose, to not to worry about updating of computer for about 7-8 years? Moreover, would it be expensive to build such a computer with such motherboards?
Uhh, interesting

(1) (Reply)

What Sites Can I Download Free Pc Games Online / Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. / Fifa Manager 2010 Registration Code Plz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.