Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,742 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

What Does Being Muslim Mean To You? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / What Does Being Muslim Mean To You? (1014 Views)

Does Being Intimate With Your Wife During Ramadan period Breaks Our Fasting? / Does Being Cool Make You A Better Muslim? / What Does Being A Muslim Entail? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Does Being Muslim Mean To You? by olanajim(m): 8:20am On Sep 22, 2009
Years ago, I read a great work title LET US BE MUSLIM. I forget the authr's name. It is a book I strongly recommend to muslims(especially those who think everyone who dont share their view is kafir) to read as it touched on many issues. I gave away my copy to a christain friend who insisted that I should convert him to Islam. For months, he kept talking about how I am different muslim and how he want to join my creed. He kept asking me questions from many controversial issues like forgiveness, hatred, terrorism etc. He troubled me on why I read bible and also refuse to condemn it. And why I quotes from both bible and quran. For months that we lived together, I remained firm in my conviction. We were together in the North when WTC was hit and when Jos boiled. I was even at the spot the jos 2001 riot started! I was going to my mentor's house at that period.  And it was after my explanation of the Islamic justice and anti terrorism that he started urging me to convert him. My reply was It is not for me to convert him and that I will never do that! I stuck to my gun. I told him I didnt come to the North to do evangelism and that he was just privy to my islamic background because we live together.

In 2002, when I cant take it anymore, I told him in depth why it is not within my power to convert anyone and then revealed to him the reason I stay away from public religion debate. He agreed with me and consequently thanked me. But he made a request. He wanted the book, LET US BE MUSLIM!

I love this book to the point that I read it everyday after my bible-quran devotion. I obliged him and then relocated to Lagos. We lost contact since then.

So what does being a muslim mean? Does it mean declaring kalima just like that? Observing solat? Fasting in ramadan? Does Islam ends in 5 pillars of Islam? To me, this is not so!!

For instance, many muslims observe solat daily but is their solat having desired effect on them? Quran said Inna solat tan'a anil fahshai wal munkar! Unfortunately many people still spew lewdness, vain talks and also commit fahshai after solat! Can they be muslim?

A scholar was asked how one will know that his prayers are accepted, and he replied : INNA SOLATA TAN'A ANIL FAHSHAI WAL MUNKAR!

Ramadan has just gone, and some people are returning to old way. Has those people truly benefitted from fasting?

What of those who give charity only when they want something back?

Fellow, I am here not to break my no public religion debate vow, but to stimulate those who are sensible to talk about what being a muslim mean. I am sure some people will pick holes in my conviction. That is human nature. But let not the substaince of the topic be lost. Let the non muslims understand islam instead of you attacking them. A young lady I love still refuse to believe I am a muslim till date because she think muslims only talk about hell fire, terrorism and condemnation of christainity! She said I " sounded like a born again christain!"

It is upon a challenge by a christain lady on nairaland that I open this thread. Christains are tired of the war, and real muslims are avoiding the section due to the "invasion". Let us be real muslim and NOT legal muslim. Let us uphold the tolerance, humility, and the virtue espoused by the prophet. It is time to let our deeds win us love of God and men.

What does it mean to be muslim?

(1) (Reply)

Why Islam Forbids Pork / Nearly Half Of Nigerian Muslims Favor Al Qaeda: I'm Worried / How Would An Islamic Astronaut Know Which Way To Face When Praying?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.