Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,651 members, 7,955,363 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:19 AM

Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? (19001 Views)

What Are The Qualifications For Applying For ACCA Or ICAN / Which To Choose Between NIMN, NIM Or ICAN / ICAN release the result of Nov 2016 diet result (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by lawrenzez(m): 12:12pm On Aug 06, 2016
CFA can get u any job in international firms starting from investment banks to hedge funds n wealth management firms....bt ICAN they do not recognise that much...bt I believe u shld finish with the ICAN cus u've started it already, however never throw away the chance of having a CFA cus those who poses it are always hotcakes in naija n international firms...Plan ur moves.
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by SaiBuharii: 12:13pm On Aug 06, 2016
optimusmind:

Congratulations on your results .
My recommendation is that you should finish your ICAN, apply for Audit division of any of the big four (pWc, KPMg, Deloitte or E&Y). If you can prove your worth (not in terms of academic prowess but in term of creativity, coordination, intelligence and emotional / adaptability) you would surely get in.
They recruit yearly you can check them up.

Exactly my thought. All you need to get in is a 2.1 and <26 age...and I'm sure he went to Babcock. If not he would not be thinking of stopping ICAN after huzzling to pass the first level.

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by cosade(m): 12:43pm On Aug 06, 2016
nmreports:
Even a day old chicken knows it's ICAN.

By extension, if your parents are not complaining, do it all in the UK. MSC, CFA, ACCA but focus in the ICAN certification because that's all what matters here in Nigeria.

You have already been properly advised by a number of Nairalander Chartered Accountants.

Just to emphasize that during your master's programme, my suggestion is that you should focus mainly on your M.Sc programme and the last stage of your ICAN programme. Do not bother yourself about any other certification as these may be unnecessary distractions.

When you're back in Nigeria, do not jump into banking work. Start with accountancy work by walking into any of the Big Four and tell them you want to work as a Qualified Trainee, you'll easily get such jobs. By ICAN regulation, I think within 24 months' training you'll be entitled to a practice licence. Of course, you'll be adequately paid during this period and can now read for your CFA and any other certification you may be interested in.

After getting your practice licence, you may start looking for work in the banks, oil companies etc. if you so desire.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by igbanbajo(m): 1:17pm On Aug 06, 2016
BarryJones:
Good morning Nairalanders,
I am a graduate of accounting. I completed my accountancy degree in 2014, finishing first class. I completed my NYSC last October. I have searched for jobs to no avail. I actually did test and interviews with some companies, but am yet to receive an offer letter from any of them. For one of the big banks especially, I got to their documentation stage and heard nothing from them again. I even learnt that my contact person was sacked when banks were sacking. Her official email is no longer receiving emails.

Now to my main question:
Due to the fact that I couldn't secure a job, my parents decided I go to study for a masters degree in Accounting in the UK, starting in September. I am currently in the final level of my ICAN examination, with 5 papers left, which I plan to take 2 in November and 3 in May 2017 (ICAN has an exam centre in London). The University I will be going to offers an optional CFA level 1 route along side M.Sc. Accounting. But on a personal note, I find this very expensive to fund with the current Naira to Pound exchange rate (I don't want to overburden my parents- they have other dependants), and since I will be depending on my parents for my every needs. I will need to pay about 1500 pounds for the CFA 1 lectures to the university aside the CFA registration and exam fees. I will spend about 1000 pounds (as against approximately 100k if i was to write in in Nigeria) on ICAN in UK as exam fee and travel expense, since I plan to do self study.

My daddy is now suggesting that I forget ICAN for now and concentrate on doing CFA, because he will want me to come back with internationally recognized certificates to increase my job prospects on my return. But my own thought is that by the time I will be returning from UK, I will both be ICAN Chartered and hold a UK Masters degree. I tried to explain to him that from my little knowledge of CFA, it is a rather limited certification (I believe its mainly for Investment bankers, though I will still apply to Investment Banks when I return) unlike ICAN which gives broader prospects. I am of the opinion that assuming I return to Nigeria in October 2017, I can quickly register as an ACCA student, to have the ACCA in view on my CV, then I will also register as a CFA student, to have the CFA in view, on my CV. I believe that this can increase my chances of also entering Investment Banking. Instead of paying 1500 pounds for CFA lectures to my university, I am thinking it will be cheaper for me to come back to Nigeria first and pay lecture fees here in Naira. I have a passion for setting up businesses, to be self employed and provide jobs for people later on, but I really love to practice Accounting in this my youthful age, and then save up to start my own business.

Please I will appreciate advice from knowledgeable and experienced professionals. Should I heed my dads call?
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by OlivetBen(m): 2:13pm On Aug 06, 2016
sugarlady:
Dear someone,

Please summarize.

Yours sincerely,
Me.
Dear sugarlady cultivate the habit of reading.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by MrDojo(m): 2:45pm On Aug 06, 2016
Lies!!! This is not possible...

suasmablow:

Ask am say first class for which school?
First class in some universities are like third class in some schools
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by gotowork: 7:10pm On Aug 06, 2016
Can you? Yes, I can. ICAN.
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by Phumzee92: 7:57pm On Aug 06, 2016
Jackter101:
My advice to you will deviate a little from the topic. I understand your quest to get further education in the UK, but my own suggestion is this; have you thought of other countries that give you a chance to work after your masters? Rather than put all your eggs in one basket, which is returning to Nigeria, why not seek admission in countries like Canada and Australia. These countries, though cold in winter, offer you a chance to work once you get an education in their country. I believe trying these countries is a better use of the scarce FX.

Back to your question, I am a Canadian qualified professional Accountant and I can only speak about opportunities in this part of the world. I will say CFA is one of the most respected designations in our accounting/Finance line, but it is better for those who want to be Financial analysts.

Finally, whatever you decide, I wish you best of luck.
Please I would like to have a brief discussion with you if you wouldn't mind.. Kindly pm me please. Would be waiting to hear from you. Thanks in advance
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by Phumzee92: 8:05pm On Aug 06, 2016
llade:
If u can do ICAN and CFA. For the ICAN ure almost there just complete it. However, CFA na baba oh. Am a Chartered Accountant and writing CFA now.
Please kindly pm me.. Thanks
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by being(m): 10:36pm On Aug 06, 2016
Naturally for an accountant, it's Ican- (only relevant in Nigeria) or ACCA - global (but u can't sign a financial statement in Nigeria with acca and it's more expensive). So what u should do is finish ur ican and if u need d global ACCA after ur ICAN, maybe to work abroad, ACCA will ask u to take 3 papers and u get ur ACCA certification.

For CFA, Its mainly a financial analysis certification (as d name implies). Useful for ibankers, venture capitalists, hedge fund managers, financial asset managers, pension fund managers and pple in corporate finance or treasury of a bank. If that's ur eventual interest, u should plan to do d 3 very difficult papers that make up CFA. It's's expensive, but abeg u r not wasting ur parent's Moni on drugs or parties so make use of ur opportunity!!
(Note that ibankers work terribly long hours and deir pay & BONUS are crazy- but that's not a problem for u I guess).

U can always PM me.

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by cosade(m): 4:39am On Aug 07, 2016
being:
Naturally for an accountant, it's Ican- (only relevant in Nigeria) or ACCA - global (but u can't sign a financial statement in Nigeria with acca and it's more expensive). So what u should do is finish ur ican and if u need d global ACCA after ur ICAN, maybe to work abroad, ACCA will ask u to take 3 papers and u get ur ACCA certification.

For CFA, Its mainly a financial analysis certification (as d name implies). Useful for ibankers, venture capitalists, hedge fund managers, financial asset managers, pension fund managers and pple in corporate finance or treasury of a bank. If that's ur eventual interest, u should plan to do d 3 very difficult papers that make up CFA. It's's expensive, but abeg u r not wasting ur parent's Moni on drugs or parties so make use of ur opportunity!!
(Note that ibankers work terribly long hours and deir pay & BONUS are crazy- but that's not a problem for u I guess).

U can always PM me.

BarryJones:
Good morning Nairalanders,
I am a graduate of accounting. I completed my accountancy degree in 2014, finishing first class. I completed my NYSC last October.
My daddy is now suggesting that I forget ICAN for now and concentrate on doing CFA, because he will want me to come back with internationally recognized certificates to increase my job prospects on my return. But my own thought is that by the time I will be returning from UK, I will both be ICAN Chartered and hold a UK Masters degree. I tried to explain to him that from my little knowledge of CFA, it is a rather limited certification (I believe its mainly for Investment bankers, though I will still apply to Investment Banks when I return) unlike ICAN which gives broader prospects.
I have a passion for setting up businesses, to be self employed and provide jobs for people later on, but I really love to practice Accounting in this my youthful age, and then save up to start my own business.
Please I will appreciate advice from knowledgeable and experienced professionals. Should I heed my dads call?

My son, I am back again because I have been seeing this CFA stuff reoccurring. Please I don't want you to derail from your passion to practice Accounting and the dream of being self employed in future. Since your intention is to come back to Nigeria, so ICAN is the best option. Combine only the final stage of ICAN with your M.Sc programme in UK. It is also important you finish your masters with good scores, so don't spread your resources too thinly by doing more than two programmes at a time.

When you come back to Nigeria, you will easily get job as a Qualified Trainee (QT) in any of the Big Four, believe me it is easy.

While working as a QT, then you can study for CFA, if you so wish. To practice as an Accountant you need a practice licence and this requires 36 months training (not 24 months as I stated in my earlier post) which you would do as QT with a decent pay. It is only after this you can say you have achieved your dream of being able to practice accounting. If you however start your career in the banking industry, then it would be very difficult later in your career to come back to do this 36 months training, to acquire your practice licence.

When you have your licence you can start moving from one industry to the other, if you so wish.

If you want me to talk to your Dad on this issue, I am very willing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by haby2009: 8:30am On Aug 07, 2016
MrTeeo:

Am an engineer preparing for ACCA

Pls kindly reply my email.
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by franchuks(m): 9:54am On Aug 07, 2016
Wishing you all the best as you decide. For me, convince your dad so u can complete your ICAN certification since you are almost done! We are at the same stage as well..
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by Jackter101(m): 2:29am On Aug 08, 2016
Phumzee92:

Please I would like to have a brief discussion with you if you wouldn't mind.. Kindly pm me please. Would be waiting to hear from you. Thanks in advance

I am sorry I don't know how the PM thing works here on Nairaland
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by Phumzee92: 7:38am On Aug 10, 2016
H
Jackter101:

I am sorry I don't know how the PM thing works here on Nairaland
I sent u a pm but am yet to get a reply.. Or alternatively, please you can send me a means via which I can talk to u via email on b.hoyeks92@gmail.com Thanks in advance
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by och12(m): 3:21am On Jan 29, 2017
I'll advise you complete ICAN first.

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by zaram2014: 2:18pm On Jul 30, 2017
For CFA materials 2017 Level 1 and 2 Notes, Audio, Video available. Qbank available, contact 07020170504
Re: Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? by CFAMadeEasy: 9:10am On Dec 02, 2017
For your 2018 CFA study materials level 1-3 (notes) both hard and soft copies available, qbank also available too.

Call/WhatsApp 08055047648

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer / FG To Investigate Case Of Pregnant Worker Beaten By Lebanese Boss / Nigerian Doctor Doctor Narrates Trouble They Face To Get Their N40K Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.