Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,601 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

Who should name your new baby? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who should name your new baby? (1266 Views)

New Baby Boy Allegedly Born Holding A Quran, Prayer Bead In Bauchi State (pics) / What Is Your New Year Resolution? / What Is Your New Year Resolution? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who should name your new baby? by rexben(m): 3:02pm On Aug 06, 2016
The name or tag 'Christians' is a name generally accepted by the world,it is a name accepted by a group of people who claim to follow Jesus.
The name Christian is said to mean 'christ-like' --- doing what Christ did.
The origin of the tag Christians
The first time the name surfaced was 46-48 AD. The disciples were first called Christians in Antioch. Acts 11:26.
and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught a significant number of people. Now it was in Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians.
Acts 11:26 NET
The tag Christians was given to believers in Antioch by unbelievers[men,the world]. I wonder why people who supposedly follow Jesus adopt a name given by the world[those that hate(d) Jesus John 7:7;17:14].
The world cannot hate you, but it hates me, because I am testifying about it that its deeds are evil.
John 7:7
I have given them your word, and the world has hated them, because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world.
John 17:14 NET
Who should name a child?
A child is named by his or her parents. The parents of a child is obliged to name their child. Let me ask a question here; can you bear a name given to you by people who hate your father?
Who should name a believer?
A believer is said to be a person that believes in Jesus. So, the person solely obliged to name a believer is Jesus[for all that belongs to God also belongs to Jesus John 17:10] and not the world [the world is controlled by the devil Matt 4:8-9]. How will the world[haters of Jesus and His Father John 17:14] name a believers and this believers joyfully accepted the name then and even now?
8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their grandeur. 9 And he said to him, "I will give you all these things if you throw yourself to the ground and worship me."
Matt 4:8-9 NET
Jesus said His disciples are not of this world John 17:14. If they are not of this world, they will not associate themselves with the name given by the world. If any disciple of Jesus needs a tag, let him/her go to Jesus words and pick a name. Jesus used many names to qualify his disciples. He called them disciples Matt 10:24,branches John 15:1,sheep John 10:2,friends John 15:15,brothers John 20:17,little flock Luke 12:32,my ecclesia Matt 16:18.
Re: Who should name your new baby? by rexben(m): 2:22pm On Aug 07, 2016
Christians;a name given by the haters of Jesus

Re: Who should name your new baby? by bennyann: 10:20pm On Nov 18, 2016
It's quite understandable but the disciples didn't reject the name you know. The unbelievers saw them to be like father like son hence the name Christians.

So you don't agree with the Bible?
Re: Who should name your new baby? by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 8:53am On Nov 19, 2016
I don't think this kind of topic is worth the argument.

Now let me ask, would you refuse to be called the son of your father, just because it was your enemy who called you that?

The believers were called Christians by the unbelievers, yes! But now tell me, what's bad about being called after your creator, role model, someone you look up to, someone you're even working towards being like? What's wrong with being called someone who is like Christ? What's wrong in being Christ-like?

Christian means Christ-like, and there's no way the believers would reject that kind of honourable tag, even if it was given by satan himself!

There's no way the early believers would have rejected being likened to Jesus Christ, no way! It was an honor, and one that they could have only been happy to accept.
Re: Who should name your new baby? by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 8:55am On Nov 19, 2016
rexben:
Christians;a name given by the haters of Jesus

Please can you point out what is wrong with the name itself, or is it just because they were called by the unbelievers?
Re: Who should name your new baby? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 19, 2016
rexben:
The name or tag 'Christians' is a name generally accepted by the world,it is a name accepted by a group of people who claim to follow Jesus.
The name Christian is said to mean 'christ-like' --- doing what Christ did.
The origin of the tag Christians
The first time the name surfaced was 46-48 AD. The disciples were first called Christians in Antioch. Acts 11:26.
and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught a significant number of people. Now it was in Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians.
Acts 11:26 NET
The tag Christians was given to believers in Antioch by unbelievers[men,the world]. I wonder why people who supposedly follow Jesus adopt a name given by the world[those that hate(d) Jesus John 7:7;17:14].
The world cannot hate you, but it hates me, because I am testifying about it that its deeds are evil.
John 7:7
I have given them your word, and the world has hated them, because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world.
John 17:14 NET
Who should name a child?
A child is named by his or her parents. The parents of a child is obliged to name their child. Let me ask a question here; can you bear a name given to you by people who hate your father?
Who should name a believer?
A believer is said to be a person that believes in Jesus. So, the person solely obliged to name a believer is Jesus[for all that belongs to God also belongs to Jesus John 17:10] and not the world [the world is controlled by the devil Matt 4:8-9]. How will the world[haters of Jesus and His Father John 17:14] name a believers and this believers joyfully accepted the name then and even now?
8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their grandeur. 9 And he said to him, "I will give you all these things if you throw yourself to the ground and worship me."
Matt 4:8-9 NET
Jesus said His disciples are not of this world John 17:14. If they are not of this world, they will not associate themselves with the name given by the world. If any disciple of Jesus needs a tag, let him/her go to Jesus words and pick a name. Jesus used many names to qualify his disciples. He called them disciples Matt 10:24,branches John 15:1,sheep John 10:2,friends John 15:15,brothers John 20:17,little flock Luke 12:32,my ecclesia Matt 16:18.

Its indeed a compliment for the world to be able to see Christ in us and declare we are like Christ. This is a great approval as the Bible says we are living Epistles read of men and the ernest expectation of the creature is to see the manifestation of the sons of God.

If you are said to be LIKE CHRIST even by the world the question you should ask yourself is WHO WAS CHRIST? Was He a demon? Is He God? Remember in psalm 8 the Bible says YE ARE GODS AND ALL OF YOU ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE MOST HIGH! BUT YOU SHALL FALL DIE LIKE MEN AND FALL LIKE ONE OF THE PRINCES...YE KNOW NOT NEITHER DO YOU UNDERSTAND. 

The unbelievers in antioch who also heard or saw Christ when he was here looked at the disciples and gave them an approval rating and that approval rating is called CHRISTIAN (LIKE CHRIST).

The disciples represented Christ extremely well hence that word Christian.

Any Atheist who is saying nonsense is only being used by the devil to sow doubt.

Remember when Jesus met the man possessed by legion the demons Knew who Christ was. When the seven sons of sceva attempted casting out demons the demon knew who Paul was and who Jesus was. The demons did not know them as one of their own but people of the light. People of God! So even a demon can speak truth when its undeniable same way it can speak lies when manipulative.

In the case of antioch the people spoke the truth as that was evident for all to see through the lives the disciples lived .

Shalom.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who should name your new baby? by rexben(m): 11:57am On Nov 27, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Its indeed a compliment for the world to be able to see Christ in us and declare we are like Christ. This is a great approval as the Bible says we are living Epistles read of men and the ernest expectation of the creature is to see the manifestation of the sons of God.

If you are said to be LIKE CHRIST even by the world the question you should ask yourself is WHO WAS CHRIST? Was He a demon? Is He God? Remember in psalm 8 the Bible says YE ARE GODS AND ALL OF YOU ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE MOST HIGH! BUT YOU SHALL FALL DIE LIKE MEN AND FALL LIKE ONE OF THE PRINCES...YE KNOW NOT NEITHER DO YOU UNDERSTAND. 

The unbelievers in antioch who also heard or saw Christ when he was here looked at the disciples and gave them an approval rating and that approval rating is called CHRISTIAN (LIKE CHRIST).

The disciples represented Christ extremely well hence that word Christian.

Any Atheist who is saying nonsense is only being used by the devil to sow doubt.

Remember when Jesus met the man possessed by legion the demons Knew who Christ was. When the seven sons of sceva attempted casting out demons the demon knew who Paul was and who Jesus was. The demons did not know them as one of their own but people of the light. People of God! So even a demon can speak truth when its undeniable same way it can speak lies when manipulative.

In the case of antioch the people spoke the truth as that was evident for all to see through the lives the disciples lived .

Shalom.

Christians tend to see whatever they wanna see. The name Christians does not have a definite meaning, they're still debates on it.
Let even say, the name means followers of Christ. Which Christ were they're referring to? Is it Jesus of Nazarath or Paul of Tarsus (for Christ means an anointed one)
According to Matt 24:24, false Christs will arise.
Re: Who should name your new baby? by rexben(m): 12:11pm On Nov 27, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Please can you point out what is wrong with the name itself, or is it just because they were called by the unbelievers?
Both.
The name is Christian. Christian means follower of Christ.
The question is which Christ were they referring to?
Was it Jesus or Paul.
Re: Who should name your new baby? by rexben(m): 12:23pm On Nov 27, 2016
bennyann:
It's quite understandable but the disciples didn't reject the name you know. The unbelievers saw them to be like father like son hence the name Christians.

So you don't agree with the Bible?
Why do people just generalize? The Christ in Christian could be anybody including Paul. What makes you think that the Christ they were referring to is Jesus of Nazarath.
Don't be deceived
Re: Who should name your new baby? by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 12:30pm On Nov 27, 2016
rexben:
Both.
The name is Christian. Christian means follower of Christ.
The question is which Christ were they referring to?
Was it Jesus or Paul.

Really? Who is Christ? Was there anywhere in the Bible that mentioned Paul was any kind of Christ?
Re: Who should name your new baby? by rexben(m): 12:33pm On Nov 27, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Really? Who is Christ? Was there anywhere in the Bible that mentioned Paul was any kind of Christ?
Matt 24:24 said many false Christs will arise. Paul is one of them
Re: Who should name your new baby? by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 12:43pm On Nov 27, 2016
rexben:
Matt 24:24 said many false Christs will arise. Paul is one of them

Are you a born again Christian?
Can you give me biblical verses to buttress your claims?
Re: Who should name your new baby? by rexben(m): 1:02pm On Nov 27, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Are you a born again Christian?
Can you give me biblical verses to buttress your claims?
I'm not a Christian. I'm a disciple of Jesus. All Paul's teachings contradict Jesus'. About fatherhood, shepherd, master, teacher, death, sacrifices etc.
Re: Who should name your new baby? by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 1:06pm On Nov 27, 2016
rexben:
I'm not a Christians. I'm a disciple of Jesus. All Paul's teachings contradict Jesus'. About fatherhood, shepherd, master, teacher, death, sacrifices etc.

Goodbye.
Re: Who should name your new baby? by EyeHateGod: 3:00pm On Nov 27, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Goodbye.
Lol power pass power u day run?
Re: Who should name your new baby? by EyeHateGod: 3:02pm On Nov 27, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Christ means the anointed one even ur pastor in church is Christ grin
Re: Who should name your new baby? by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 3:06pm On Nov 27, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Christ means the anointed one even ur pastor in church is Christ grin

Oga carry your hate for God go another place.
Re: Who should name your new baby? by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 3:08pm On Nov 27, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Lol power pass power u day run?

I can't waste my productive time on frivolous and baseless issues...nah
Re: Who should name your new baby? by EyeHateGod: 3:20pm On Nov 27, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Oga carry your hate for God go another place.
Lol you are just avoiding the point rexben made so you ran from it? Isn't it u Christian job to correct each other? So why did you run? Afraid that ur views might be changed?
LaClicKLaBenDin:

I can't waste my productive time on frivolous and baseless issues...nah
Nah you just don't know what to say...
Re: Who should name your new baby? by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 3:44pm On Nov 27, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Lol you are just avoiding the point rexben made so you ran from it? Isn't it u Christian job to correct each other? So why did you run? Afraid that ur views might be changed?

Nah you just don't know what to say...

Brother, know this, I am not on nairaland to show knowledge or engage in arguments.

It's different when someone has a different views as yours and is open to your views, as opposed to when someone already shows his own stand is conclusive, going further with this issue will lead to unnecessary arguments and nothing else.

Secondly, I know you atheists enjoy Christians attacking each other on this forum, and that's the pleasure that I won't give you, seeing it is what you're trying to do already.

So, brother, look somewhere else, I don't fall for such cheap talks. You can call me dumb, daft, or whatever, it still doesn't change my personality.

Have a nice day.

2 Likes

Re: Who should name your new baby? by EyeHateGod: 3:51pm On Nov 27, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Brother, know this, I am not on nairaland to show knowledge or engage in arguments.

Lol the irony..
Re: Who should name your new baby? by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 4:39pm On Nov 27, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Lol the irony..

Yeah..so, do not always expect me to follow through with every argument, I can decide to quit whenever wish, regardless of what you think.
Re: Who should name your new baby? by orisa37: 6:05pm On Nov 27, 2016
This is a Misconception.
Re: Who should name your new baby? by rexben(m): 11:36am On Dec 03, 2016
orisa37:
This is a Misconception.
Misconception?
How, if may ask?

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Good People Required To Be Born Again? / Have You Ever Heard Of Frank E Graeff? He Wrote; Does Jesus Cares!! / Who Do The Christians Say That I Am

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.