Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,755 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

Estate Tax In Getting Probate Letter In Lagos Court… Help Explain!!! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Estate Tax In Getting Probate Letter In Lagos Court… Help Explain!!! (715 Views)

"I Will Die, If I Give My Wife Money" - Man Tells Lagos Court / Legal Aspects Of Divorce And Probate Matters ( Letter Of Administration And Will / Bad Roads: Federal Government Should Stop Collecting Tax In Southeast. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Estate Tax In Getting Probate Letter In Lagos Court… Help Explain!!! by sammily(m): 7:18pm On Aug 06, 2016
I lost my dad some time ago, he died testate (had a valid Will). In his Will, he stated his property and his bank account. In the process of getting the Grant of Probate from the probate court to get access his money in the bank as stated in his Will, We were made to understand that an Estate or Inheritance Tax of Ten percent (10%) of the value of his properties and bank accounts will have to be paid to the Government as Tax before we can get the Probate letter to access to his money he left for us in the bank.

Let look as this, say my dad have a building in Ikoyi worth N50million and N500k in his bank account, say in First bank. For us, the executors to have access to dad’s N500k he left in the bank for us as stated in his Will, are we now supposed to pay as Tax N5.05million? (10% of the worth of his house and money in First bank)?

Any lawyer or anybody that has a better explanation to this scenario or had similar experiences should please explain to me because this does not make any sense to me at all.

Thanks.

Cc; Lalasticlala
Re: Estate Tax In Getting Probate Letter In Lagos Court… Help Explain!!! by sammily(m): 7:39pm On Aug 07, 2016
Anyone....

(1) (Reply)

The Man Whose Super-human Deformities Let Him SURVIVE A Deadly / Can You Allow Your Step Son/daughter To Bear Your Name? / See This Romantic Wedding Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.