Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,579 members, 7,955,134 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:42 PM

Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria (2325 Views)

Armed Robbery Gang Arrested In Kwara. See How They Hid Their Guns. Photos / Locally Made Guns Recovered From Slain Armed Robbers Baffles Security Agent.PICS / Police Arrest Lady Who Rents Out Guns To Robbers In Cross River State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by BizLifeE: 6:17am On Aug 07, 2016
Many people don’t seem to realize the benefit of legalizing guns in Nigeria. They think of the disadvantages alone, not the advantages. Why are we narrow-mindedly opinionated about this issue?

Men go into a house to rape a defenseless girl. Would they try that if they knew she’s armed with a gun? Rapists want to rape and live, not to rape and die.

Many aged parents still cry days and nights, while their broken souls plead for vengeance. Their innocent children were killed in Jos and elsewhere while they were serving their fatherland.

In Nigeria, most criminals want to do bad things to people and go scot-free. If they knew people had guns as well, they would think twice.

I must be blunt, what gives most criminals the gut to attack people is because people are defenseless. If 20 assassins go to a man’s house, they’ll kill him. But the man can kill up to 3 of them before he dies. This is better than when the man is killed without being able to kill anyone in return.

One-Chance, terrorists, herdsmen, militants, money ritualists, armed robbers, thugs, bullies, etc., are able to go away unscathed in most cases because their victims don’t have guns. To be frank, those who attack you have power over you only because they’re armed and you’re not.

If most members communities have guns in their hands, do you think armed robbers would like to go to their lion’s den to molest them?

Militants that terrorize communities would be afraid to do so; unless they’re going on suicide missions. The same is true of mad Jihadists. No mad or rabid dog would deliberately run into a burning fire.

Domestic violence would cease…. A corrupt cop would cease pointing their gun to a poor and helpless okada rider because of N100.

Lazy thugs that collect money they don’t work for would think twice before they start cursing or threatening their victims, ordering for money they don’t work for.

It’s true, many people would die. But the remaining people alive would sit right. They would show respect for one another. Politeness would prevail and crimes would be reduced to almost zero. Isn’t there any sense in this?

- Contributed

Neteller here: www..com.ng

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by geraldmartins(m): 6:25am On Aug 07, 2016
Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by youngest85(m): 6:25am On Aug 07, 2016
Abeg!! Buhari shud hear our voice on ds one....
I really need it mehn!
Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by tomquest: 6:31am On Aug 07, 2016
Truly there's some sense in this but you missed some points:

1) you can legally own a gun in Nigeria but it's quite a process to get the necessary permits.

2) Nigeria has so much poverty and many illiterates. Making guns come easy to them is like advocating for chaos. People would be shot dead over flimsy excuses.

3) Nigeria's judiciary is messed up with corruption and injustice. If I shoot you over a flimsy excuse, you'd likely not get justice if I'm a "Big Man".

4) Residents have no documentation in Nigeria. Before you give easy permits to your citizens, you must account for every one of them.

5) Nigeria needs "Regionalism", where every state would exclusively run her own police in synergy with respective community security outfits.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by edbor(m): 6:40am On Aug 07, 2016
our leaders gotta upgrade their processors(brain) to see from your point of view, but then. .they are already running on their best capacity.
Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by HaroldFinch(m): 6:42am On Aug 07, 2016
Having a gun or firearm is legal in Nigeria, it is only difficult to secure one for use. I do not think making it easily accessible to everyone like the right to bear arms in the US will help. Most especially in Nigeria here where trivial issues lead to arguments and cultists activities are on the rise. I think we should rather have an overhaul of our security system in the country. Most of our laws are obsolete and ineffective. One other issue is that we should begin a disarmament programme to mop up arms and be responsible to our international obligations under the Arms Trade Treaty we signed.
Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by Mustack: 6:54am On Aug 07, 2016
Omo ma wahala e go cause oh..
Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by spass101(m): 6:59am On Aug 07, 2016
Its legal to have guns in Nigeria bro. You just gotta get a license. For that, you can ask your nearest CP (com. of police).
The only hard thing is meeting the requirement for the license.

Peace through superior fire power cool
Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by general111(m): 7:02am On Aug 07, 2016
;Dnigerians that can misuse things eh.if it becomes very easy to get firearms just as in the US,mehn even buhari will not be safe at aso rock oh.
Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by adioolayi(m): 7:18am On Aug 07, 2016
USA sef seems to be regretting legalizing arms.....Nigerians will abuse that opportunity....na killing galore!
Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by Oche211(m): 7:48am On Aug 07, 2016
I support u on this one man.
I also need one to secure me nd my family. The way Nigeria is going, i think we'll need to secure ourselves cos the police aint to be trusted.
Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by Tallesty1(m): 7:59am On Aug 07, 2016
Not Happening bro, the people up there don't want their herdsmen to meet armed farmers and Trust nigerians, they will abuse it.
Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by AngelAhnie(f): 8:10am On Aug 07, 2016
Tallesty1:
Not Happening bro, the people up there don't want their herdsmen to meet armed farmers and Trust nigerians, they will abuse it.
cry

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by sweetilicious(f): 8:13am On Aug 07, 2016
HaroldFinch:
Having a gun or firearm is legal in Nigeria, it is only difficult to secure one for use. I do not think making it easily accessible to everyone like the right to bear arms in the US will help. Most especially in Nigeria here where trivial issues lead to arguments and cultists activities are on the rise. I think we should rather have an overhaul of our security system in the country. Most of our laws are obsolete and ineffective. One other issue is that we should begin a disarmament programme to mop up arms and be responsible to our international obligations under the Arms Trade Treaty we signed.
You made a common sense. I don't want it too. Someone might be frustrated and decide to kill people just to vent it just like it happens in the US.
Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by tomquest: 9:45am On Aug 07, 2016
Oche211:
I support u on this one man.
I also need one to secure me nd my family. The way Nigeria is going, i think we'll need to secure ourselves cos the police aint to be trusted.

Think of it this way: if your state runs it's own police and the community where you live operates it's own security personnel (more like vigilante) which is in 24/7 contact and synergy with the state police, don't you think you and your family would be safer than in this present setup with very family owning a gun?
Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by Coolgent(m): 10:00am On Aug 07, 2016
Op you can own Gun legally in Nigeria but your call for FG to allow arms to move freely in Nigeria is not feasible considering many factors.
I.e What do u think a person who cant get 3 square meals per day can do with fully loaded gun?
Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 07, 2016
the truth is if gun is allowed...I would've killed somebody since friday coz the anger is still within me,another truth is I may have been killed since 2008(I did somebody a very badtin dat year) Im yet to see d person uptill 2016. He is alive though.
Without gun people patronises babalawo now check if guns is allowed,there will be an increase in crimerate,gun wars,repercussions, if u break a girl heart she fit kpai u sef...and there will be a lot of unsolved murder case. #PEACE
Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by jamace(m): 12:28pm On Aug 07, 2016
Looters will be in trouble o.
Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by BizLifeE: 12:05am On Aug 08, 2016
Idiots:
the truth is if gun is allowed...I would've killed somebody since friday coz the anger is still within me,another truth is I may have been killed since 2008(I did somebody a very badtin dat year) Im yet to see d person uptill 2016. He is alive though.
Without gun people patronises babalawo now check if guns is allowed,there will be an increase in crimerate,gun wars,repercussions, if u break a girl heart she fit kpai u sef...and there will be a lot of unsolved murder case. #PEACE

It’s true, many people would die. But the remaining people alive would sit right. They would show respect for one another. Politeness would prevail and crimes would be reduced to almost zero. Isn’t there any sense in this?
Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by Nina4u(f): 8:13am On Aug 08, 2016
I agree ..i got 2 guns lol a 357 taurus and a colt python 357 magnum ...to get a gun in naija u got to do this ..Eligibility

Applicant must be Thirty five years (35) years or older.
Clean criminal record
Doctor's certificate that certifies physical and mental fitness..Required Information

Personal Information
Occupation/Employment Information
Particulars of Firearm
Spousal Information
Next of Kin
Particulars of Applicant
Procedure

(1) Make an application to the Commissioner of Police in your State of residence.
(2) The police will issue you with an application form that will require your bio-data.
Some of the pertinent information required are:
(i) Your full names
(ii) Address
(iii) Reasons for applying for the license
(iv) Date of Birth. Note here that guns are not issued to persons below thirty-five (35) years of age.
(3) Further required to accompany the application form is a medical report that confirms that the applicant’s sanity is normal.
(4) Another medical report is also required on the applicant’s chest. This is to protect the applicant from the sharp retraction that occurs when a gun is fired.
(5) Four (4) clear passport photograph of the applicant is also required.
(6) On obtaining your gun from the nearest gun dealer, prices vary depending on area of purchase; the police should normally register the serial number of the weapon.
(7) Upon a satisfactory appraisal of the application the license is issued in a booklet form, bearing one of the passport photographs of the applicant and carrying the stamp of the state police headquarters.
N.B. Gun licenses are subject to renewal every year for a token fee of five hundred naira (N500.00) only..

Note
A licence shall, unless forfeited, remain in operation until the 31st December of the year in which it was granted.
A licence or permit may be renewed by endorsement thereon at the discretion of the licensing authority who issued the original licence or permit, on payment of the prescribed fee, if any.
The Inspector-General of Police shall maintain in the prescribed form a register of firearms and licences to bear the same issued in each licensing area.
The Inspector-General of Police may issue permits for the withdrawal from an armoury of a firearm or the purchase or withdrawal from an armoury of ammunition.
A permit issued under the regulation shall be valid for a period of sixty days only from the date of issue....Office Locations & Contacts

FEDERAL MINISTRY OF DEFENCE
Defence Headquarters
Opp. Agura Hotel, P.M.B. 196, Area 7
Garki, Abuja
Tel: 09-2340532; 2340533

NIGERIAN POLICE FORCE
Force Headquarters
P.M.B. 56, Abuja, Area 10,
Garki, Abuja.
Tel: 09-2343081; 2340756

Civil Defence, Immigration and Prisons Services Board, Gwagwalada
Address: Federal Secretariat, Gwagwalada, P.M.B. 95, Garki, Abuja.
Phone: +234 9 8821335-6
Customs, Immigration and Prisons Pension Office (CIPPO)
Address: Federal Secretariat, Gwagwalada, P.M.B. 306, Garki, Abuja.
Phone: +234 9

Federal Fire Service
Address: National Headquarters, Area 10, Mohammadu Buhari Way, P.M.B. 43, Garki, Abuja.
Phone: +234 9 2341399, 2341299

Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by sainttwist1(m): 11:48am On Aug 08, 2016
BizLifeE:

thank you bro.....people always look at the disadvantage of this topic. yes many people will die but it will bring sanity to the country. Police will work less because robbery, terrorim, raping etc. will reduce and there will be little (if any) level of molestation from area boys/cultist/police/army, even our politician will use their brain because "nobody wan die".

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Guns Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by Blue3k(m): 11:50pm On Oct 22, 2016
BizLifeE:
Many people don’t seem to realize the benefit of legalizing guns in Nigeria. They think of the disadvantages alone, not the advantages. Why are we narrow-mindedly opinionated about this issue?

Men go into a house to rape a defenseless girl. Would they try that if they knew she’s armed with a gun? Rapists want to rape and live, not to rape and die.

Many aged parents still cry days and nights, while their broken souls plead for vengeance. Their innocent children were killed in Jos and elsewhere while they were serving their fatherland.

In Nigeria, most criminals want to do bad things to people and go scot-free. If they knew people had guns as well, they would think twice.

I must be blunt, what gives most criminals the gut to attack people is because people are defenseless. If 20 assassins go to a man’s house, they’ll kill him. But the man can kill up to 3 of them before he dies. This is better than when the man is killed without being able to kill anyone in return.

One-Chance, terrorists, herdsmen, militants, money ritualists, armed robbers, thugs, bullies, etc., are able to go away unscathed in most cases because their victims don’t have guns. To be frank, those who attack you have power over you only because they’re armed and you’re not.

If most members communities have guns in their hands, do you think armed robbers would like to go to their lion’s den to molest them?

Militants that terrorize communities would be afraid to do so; unless they’re going on suicide missions. The same is true of mad Jihadists. No mad or rabid dog would deliberately run into a burning fire.

Domestic violence would cease…. A corrupt cop would cease pointing their gun to a poor and helpless okada rider because of N100.

Lazy thugs that collect money they don’t work for would think twice before they start cursing or threatening their victims, ordering for money they don’t work for.

- Contributed

Neteller here: www..com.ng

You have sense buy lots of people are simply cowards. They like give stupid arguements like nigerians are petty and hungry so they'll kill over anything.

These guys robbers, cult boys, rapist, herdsman etc are only tough when nobody is shooting back. Even in america when robbers try an attack house they end up running away when shots are being fired. Nobody wants to die over chump change.

(1) (Reply)

Dogs Make Out During Official Photo Session Of France President / ₦126B: Drug Smugglers Dumps Bags Of Cocaine In The Ocean During USCG Chase(Pic) / Man Kills Both Parents Over Misunderstanding in Nsukka (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.