Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,856 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? (4053 Views)

Can You Breastfeed Your Baby This Way? (photos) / Man Dumps His 4 Kids At Agege LGA With Note 'I Can't Feed Them Cos Of Hardship' / Photos Of Babies Sleeping In Strange Ways Shock Twitter Users (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by omonighoblessing(f): 4:01pm On Aug 09, 2016
It's sad that force feeding is still a widespread practice among the yoruba mothers(forgive me...my opinion ). This is torture, I can even try it talk less of allowing anyone feed my baby in this manner. Its an ugly and traumatizing scene to behold, this must stop. When you feed a baby with raw cold pap with no milk, how do you expect the baby to accept? Babies have taste buds too

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Aug 09, 2016
What do you mean by "Yoruba mothers" undecided undecided

Oloshi

3 Likes

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by omonighoblessing(f): 4:09pm On Aug 09, 2016
yourboyWill:
What do you mean by "Yoruba mothers" undecided undecided

Oloshi
well i grew up among the yorubas and I know it's widely practiced there.

oloshi I guess u are referring to urself! cool

2 Likes

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by HoneyB10(f): 4:13pm On Aug 09, 2016
Hmmm yuck
Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by Mrbigman1(m): 4:18pm On Aug 09, 2016
[color=#990000][/color When you feed a baby with raw cold pap with no milk, how do you expect the baby to accept? Babies have taste buds too

this got me lmao

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Aug 09, 2016
grin my mum said she fed me like this ooo....the most beautiful thing about it is that the child won't remember the mode of feeding he/she was fed with at infant.
Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by Sexytemi(f): 4:44pm On Aug 09, 2016
It's used on babies who refused to eat, or do u expect them to allow their babies starve to death simply because they don't want to force-feed them?.... there's really Nothing bad in it as long as it allows the baby eat.

11 Likes

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by Intrepid01(m): 5:27pm On Aug 09, 2016
Guys I still remember the feeling...........I was always worried about why I was being force fed. It is totally inhumane, callous and traumatic. Imagine the position of the baby's head while trying to forcefully feed the baby. It is bad but the point is our mothers never knew aw bad it was. if someone try this with my child, I will personally sue the person.

1 Like

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by EpicMaurice(m): 6:12pm On Aug 09, 2016
Chineke!!!
So this is actually true. My yoruba friend told me but i thought he was just joking.

Nawaoshocked

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Aug 09, 2016
And as long as the baby does not die in the process.

Sexytemi:
It's used on babies who refused to eat, or do u expect them to allow their babies starve to death simply because they don't want to force-feed them?.... there's really Nothing bad in it as long as it allows the baby eat.

4 Likes

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by Sexytemi(f): 7:06pm On Aug 09, 2016
Yieldings:
And as long as the baby does not die in the process.

Lol, it's done by experts and I've never heard of any baby dying thru that process..

5 Likes

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by armyofone(m): 8:11pm On Aug 09, 2016
That method is for those force feeding baby with taste less food.
Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by eyinjuege: 7:41am On Aug 10, 2016
Force feeding is one of the most dangerous practices out there. It should be stopped.

Babies have actually died from that.

Yes, I have seen children who died from that.

Usually, the food goes into the lungs instead of the stomach in some of these cases.

Some children even choke to death from this.

Unless a child is sick, he will not refuse to eat when hungry, children are not pretentious.
The food also has to make sense, and shouldn't just be plain pap.

There are all sorts of nutritious grains out there like soya beans, grinded with groundnut, maybe crayfish that can be made into porridge and given to the child.

3 Likes

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by njiasi30(f): 1:51pm On Aug 10, 2016
Toor, no matter what u don't feed a child like dat. It's very risky and unhygienic. As an adult put urself in dat baby shoes and know how it feels, can u comfortably eat in dat position with ur head down. Some ppl and dere mentality undecided PPl shld learn to use dere common sense, when anything happens now dey will start blaming dere village witches.

It takes a lot of patients to b able to feed a child dat dose nt like eating, no matter how sweet d food.... Some kids like playing around while eating,u need to ff dem around 2 b4 dey will eat cheesy and it's nt easy bc it will take time b4 dey finish eating. Most times u will just give up and end up forcing d child. Dats why u need alot of patience... smiley

2 Likes

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by omonighoblessing(f): 5:18pm On Aug 10, 2016
Intrepid01:
Guys I still remember the feeling...........I was always worried about why I was being force fed. It is totally inhumane, callous and traumatic. Imagine the position of the baby's head while trying to forcefully feed the baby. It is bad but the point is our mothers never knew aw bad it was. if someone try this with my child, I will personally sue the person.
good point dear
Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by omonighoblessing(f): 5:20pm On Aug 10, 2016
EpicMaurice:
Chineke!!!
So this is actually true. My yoruba friend told me but i thought he was just joking.

Nawaoshocked
Thank God I have been seconded!....
that your friend says the truth ooh
Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by omonighoblessing(f): 5:22pm On Aug 10, 2016
njiasi30:
Toor, no matter what u don't feed a child like dat. It's very risky and unhygienic. As an adult put urself in dat baby shoes and know how it feels, can u comfortably eat in dat position with ur head down. Some ppl and dere mentality undecided PPl shld learn to use dere common sense, when anything happens now dey will start blaming dere village witches.

It takes a lot of patients to b able to feed a child dat dose nt like eating, no matter how sweet d food.... Some kids like playing around while eating,u need to ff dem around 2 b4 dey will eat cheesy and it's nt easy bc it will take time b4 dey finish eating. Most times u will just give up and end up forcing d child. Dats why u need alot of patience... smiley
my point exactly!
Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by Exponental(m): 9:22am On Aug 11, 2016
The positioning is bad.
The action is unhygienic.
The food itself might not be nutritious.
It's not a wicked intention of the mother but love so as not to starve the baby but however, positioning could be corrected, action made more hygienic and food made more nutritious.
For the non Yorubas, how do you manage situations of baby not eating Don't just insult Yoruba, share your tribe's and proffer better solutions if you have any. Maybe your tribe is even worse sef!!!

1 Like

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by omonighoblessing(f): 6:31pm On Aug 12, 2016
Exponental:
The positioning is bad.
The action is unhygienic.
The food itself might not be nutritious.
It's not a wicked intention of the mother but love so as not to starve the baby but however, positioning could be corrected, action made more hygienic and food made more nutritious.
For the non Yorubas, how do you manage situations of baby not eating Don't just insult Yoruba, share your tribe's and proffer better solutions if you have any. Maybe your tribe is even worse sef!!!
multi vitamins can do.like abidec and the rest of it.
Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by dosht(f): 7:07pm On Aug 12, 2016
omonighoblessing:
multi vitamins can do.like abidec and the rest of it.
Forget o. Some kids if you like give them one bottle of multivite they won't eat. Talking from experience

2 Likes

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by keishablack(f): 8:38pm On Aug 12, 2016
Sexytemi:
I wouldn't encourage this cuz apart from the fact dt it's a form of child abuse, a child cud aspirate ( food/ fluid getting into the trachea) and die from it. There are reasons why a child wud refuse to eat, he may not be hungry, the food may not be palatable or he may even be sick. Mothers shd learn to figure out such issues and address them instead of putting an innocent child through this form of torture.
Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by StPete: 9:03pm On Aug 12, 2016
Force-feeding has worked for a lot of mothers from ages past. It has never killed any child and though archaic, its one very effective method for feeding a child dat refuse to eat.

1 Like

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by omonighoblessing(f): 9:55pm On Aug 12, 2016
keishablack:

I wouldn't encourage this cuz apart from the fact dt it's a form of child abuse, a child cud aspirate ( food/ fluid getting into the trachea) and die from it. There are reasons why a child wud refuse to eat, he may not be hungry, the food may not be palatable or he may even be sick. Mothers shd learn to figure out such issues and address them instead of putting an innocent child through this form of torture.
Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by placeofallure(f): 3:20am On Aug 13, 2016
Under any circumstance, it's wrong to force feed a child. As an adult, imagine eating with your head upside down....

My niece when she was a toddler doesn't eat. I always wonder how she manages to remain healthy, lively and boisterous throughout the day with just sips of ribena that's all. At other times when I'm less busy, I play a trick on her that will make her eat without realizing it.

We sing: Tomi Tomi (that's her name) O ju senu Kolom! It's that Kolom! sound she wants to hear and at each Kolom! sound she laughs and opens her mouth. Before she knows it she has taken ten morsels of Amala and Ewedu. Abeg wetin remain now? "grin"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by omonighoblessing(f): 7:50am On Aug 13, 2016
placeofallure:
Under any circumstance, it's wrong to force feed a child. As an adult, imagine eating with your head upside down....

My niece when she was a toddler doesn't eat. I always wonder how she manages to remain healthy, lively and boisterous throughout the day with just sips of ribena that's all. At other times when I'm less busy, I play a trick on her that will make her eat without realizing it.

We sing: Tomi Tomi (that's her name) O ju senu Kolom! It's that Kolom! sound she wants to hear and at each Kolom! sound she laughs and opens her mouth. Before she knows it she has taken ten morsels of Amala and Ewedu. Abeg wetin remain now? "grin"
u see,u don't necessarily need to force hergrin

1 Like

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by kidsevents01(f): 11:13am On Aug 13, 2016
Well, quite a number of us and our older siblings were fed this way. However, with more awareness of negative outcome, mothers know better.

I agree with "placeofallure" u need a lot of patience and more so get creative( sing, make funny sounds etc and before u know it, you av achieved ur goal.

PS; pls view, like and share my posts, and PATRONISE. Thanks *winks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by Nobody: 11:18am On Aug 13, 2016
My neighbour next flat, does such to her son.. When i hear , the son's voice , wailing and with shoking sounds.. Mehn cry
I feel so traumatised before leaving the compound.. Its crazy... I wonder why force a child, foods him or her doesnt like..upon d forceful feeding the child sef no robust...smmhhhh
Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by solpat(m): 3:55pm On Aug 14, 2016
That's the height of madness angry Na by force Most times, these children forced to eat this way don't even look fresh
Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by Winneygirl(f): 5:18am On Aug 15, 2016
This is not a tribal practice.
I have seen this among different tribes and the goal remains the same.
The mothers mean well.
For a child who refuses to eat, I have had to sing, clap and show excitement for every little food accepted in the mouth. It kinda encourages the child.
Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by omonighoblessing(f): 2:55pm On Aug 29, 2016
Winneygirl:
This is not a tribal practice.
I have seen this among different tribes and the goal remains the same.
The mothers mean well.
For a child who refuses to eat, I have had to sing, clap and show excitement for every little food accepted in the mouth. It kinda encourages the child.
this dosent work in all case BIKO......
and I am a witness its widely practiced with the southwest
Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by y0rmee: 3:19pm On Aug 29, 2016
omonighoblessing:
this dosent work in all case BIKO......
and I am a witness its widely practiced with the southwest

Depends on your location in your version of 'southwest'.

It's majorly practiced this way amongst the 'locals', and not amongst the elites and average south-westerners. Quote me anywhere.
Re: Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? by omonighoblessing(f): 11:03pm On Aug 29, 2016
y0rmee:

Depends on your location in your version of 'southwest'.

It's majorly practiced this way amongst the 'locals', and not amongst the elites and average south-westerners. Quote me anywhere.
ok ooo

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What A Woman Posted About Her House Maid (photo) / My HIV Positive Husband Can’t Sleep With Me / Wife: A Good Gift To Her Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.